Shooting range incident

free gun range?

Sometimes you get what you pay for..
Free can have a price.

After talking to him I became painfully aware he was gun “stupid” not to be confused with gun “ignorant”.

I like this comment as it says so much. There is no shame is being ignorant as everyone starts off ignorant and can be easily fixed. Stupidity is usually permanent.

Sometimes you get what you pay for..
Free can have a price.
The place I described charges in excess $15/hr now, I believe.

A guy on another forum tried to defend them, asking me, "When's the last time somebody got shot there?"

I replied, "I don't know and I don't care. I'm not going to be the NEXT."

Even experienced shooters can be negligent. I was clipped during a personal protection class by a student with 29 years as an armed guard. The student turned in frustration over not getting the drill correct. Finger was on the trigger and the shot broke just as I grabbed the arm. Caught me in the right flank. Torn shirt, powder burn and graze. Could have been lethal had I not been watching closely. People can turn and burn so fast there is little time to react. I now wear a vest when teaching.

I've started making it a habit to go to gun ranges with RSO's that way I can have some semblance of peace while shooting.

+1, although I can't the RSO's that pace back and forth and run their mouth the hole time, they come in handy in those situations.

rudiepop,

Welcome to unmanned MDC ranges. Buseik has always been a turd-magnet. I've been put in positions to kick folks off that range for their stupidity, had people eventually arrested for poaching on the walking trail directly behind the range, and ticked a guy off so badly out there that he thought it was smart to call a Conservation Agent which wound up finding dope in his truck.

I watched some knuckle-head rapid firing a pistol directly over and behind the head of a 12 year old who's dad was getting him comfortable with rifle shooting. I thought the dad was going to knock him out. Fortunately myself and several others told him to leave or he'd meet a Conservation Agent as well as the local Sheriff.

Those are the reasons I avoid unmanned MDC ranges as much as possible. The other is the range-hogs that think they need both tables on all three sections of the range, but they're using just the 25 yard set up. I've become suspicious that someone is going down and conducting firearms instruction down there which is a big no-no.

Rudiepop,

I like your sigiture line.

I use to have one almost like it but mine said "I can arrange yours for you if you want"

I am sorry but I do not see enough information from the original poster to make any type of call other then about the targets that they had brung to the range. Having been a weapons instructor for over 40 years I will be the first to admit that accident's happen at any place any time. You can't watch everything that another person is going to do, you can try, but it won't work.
Bill

I am sorry but I do not see enough information from the original poster to make any type of call other then about the targets that they had brung to the range. Having been a weapons instructor for over 40 years I will be the first to admit that accident's happen at any place any time. You can't watch everything that another person is going to do, you can try, but it won't work.
Bill

For the record: I WATCH EVERYONE AT THE RANGE (as much as possible) This guy was NOT an instructor, I asked. The .22 mag was still laying in the dirt where she dropped it. I picked it up (they did not even notice) and it was fully loaded with one spent shell. If someone is shooting a weapon for the very first time you only load one round until you see how thy react. The guy stated that: "I handed her the weapon and TURNED AROUND and heard the bang" he turned his back on a first time shooter. I have seen a lot of accidents too, even from people who have plenty of experience with guns, thats why they call em accidents. This was just ignorance and lack of proper respect in my opinion.

If someone is shooting a weapon for the very first time you only load one round until you see how thy react.

Nope, for a first time shooter you hand them an unloaded gun until they can get the feel and know the parts of it along with how to pull the trigger and when not to. Until someone is comfortable holding a gun and handling it you never put bullets in it. Handing someone a loaded gun who has never handled one is like trying to teach them to drive by handing them the steering wheel on the interstate at 70mph.

Nope, for a first time shooter you hand them an unloaded gun until they can get the feel and know the parts of it along with how to pull the trigger and when not to. Until someone is comfortable holding a gun and handling it you never put bullets in it. Handing someone a loaded gun who has never handled one is like trying to teach them to drive by handing them the steering wheel on the interstate at 70mph.

You are right of course. Assuming that is ALREADY done .. then follow the one in the pipe rule. I did see her dry firing the weapon and an AR-15 before she tried to disable herself. point taken though.

If she had never handled a handgun before, and the guy gave her a loaded revolver without first teaching her safe handling, how to inspect, load, etc, etc, prior to putting finger to trigger, the guy's a public danger. Lucky nobody was maimed or killed.

Last year I was in Colorado for the summer months through early MZ elk season and utilized the county shooting range. Actually my first visits to a public range, it wasn't too bad on weekdays. On the only Saturday that I went, I encountered some doofus behaviour. While trying to get my hunting partner's TC sighted in, we watched a Hispanic family making many mistakes and decided to bail out while still able to walk. The Hispanic spouse(?) prepared to fire a 38 Sp revolver while holding it at the front of the cylinder with her nonfiring hand. Not real sure how that ended because we left.

An inconvenient truth is that idiots have constitutional rights. We should be a group that educates it's members, with the aim of all being safer. However, the combination of ignorance and stupidity is nearly unbeatable, so keep your situational awareness on ""full" at the range.

An inconvenient truth is that idiots have constitutional rights. We should be a group that educates it's members, with the aim of all being safer. However, the combination of ignorance and stupidity is nearly unbeatable, so keep your situational awareness on ""full" at the range.

Of course ignorance and stupidity is unbeatable...

How else do you explain Barrack Hussein Obama?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back