Shooting range incident

rudiepop

I am done with Busiek state parks free gun range.:angry:
Yesterday I take my 13 yr old out to shoot a .22 magnum I picked up cheap to set the dope on the scope. One other group of people was there and they had a guy "teaching them how to shoot" MORON! He had a Glock, an AR15, a KelTec rifle and a .22 mag revolver.
Everything seemed to be cool for about the first 10 minutes or so, then we hear a shot and a scream! We looked over and saw a teen girl juming around and thought she was shot. We carefully approached to see what happened if we needed to go for help (no cell phone signal there) and found out that she was handed the revolver and shot a round throught the end of her flipflop about a half inch from her middle toe. She had powderburns on her foot.
Not to mention that it is a paper target only range and they had bottles, clays, cans and other trash to shoot at. That bullet could have hit anyone. I called the parks dept as soon as I got in phone range.
That is the second time I have seen complete stupidity on display at that gun range. That was my last trip.

Unfortunately, this may be one of Darwin’s Theory of recessive genes culling themselves from the heard.

I'd find a better place to shoot. Stay Safe!

I've started making it a habit to go to gun ranges with RSO's that way I can have some semblance of peace while shooting.

Unfortunately, this may be one of Darwin’s Theory of recessive genes culling themselves from the heard.

I'd find a better place to shoot. Stay Safe!

Not sure about Darwins theory, but I DO have one of my own. One gun dork playing the big shot + four idiots = a recipe for disaster.

I don't have anything negative to say about the OP but I do want to point this out. We all believe in the right to keep and bear arms but when you see someone like that you may have a second thought about it. The next time you proclaim how safe and careful gun owners are just remember this incident. Also remember that there are millions of gun owners in the US just like that bunch. In fact I am sure that the average gun owner is much closer to them than to the average member of this board. We would all like to think that the average gun owner is well versed in the rules of gun safety and takes those rules very seriously. However I have not found that to be the case. I have also found that the reason that many more people are not killed or injured by guns every year than are is more of a matter of luck than anything else. Just as this girl missed her foot by less than an inch it was just a matter of luck.

Good news is that she didn't blow her toe off! Really good news is that I'll bet she won't do it again!

I quit going to a public range near my house. Just for the reasons above. The last time I was there the poor old guy watching the range was going nuts from one end to the other. Finally a game warden showed up and things seemed to settle down.

I'll pay the $200+ for my membership and a 10minute longer drive. Chaulk it up as "Life Insurance."
Joe

I don't have anything negative to say about the OP but I do want to point this out. We all believe in the right to keep and bear arms but when you see someone like that you may have a second thought about it. The next time you proclaim how safe and careful gun owners are just remember this incident. Also remember that there are millions of gun owners in the US just like that bunch. In fact I am sure that the average gun owner is much closer to them than to the average member of this board. We would all like to think that the average gun owner is well versed in the rules of gun safety and takes those rules very seriously. However I have not found that to be the case. I have also found that the reason that many more people are not killed or injured by guns every year than are is more of a matter of luck than anything else. Just as this girl missed her foot by less than an inch it was just a matter of luck.

You will never hear me say how safe and careful gun owners are. I have seen enough to know better. You are right about those people being closer to the average when it comes to ignorance about firearms. As a former Marine I saw plenty of "firearm educated" Jarheads act just as stupid. People are either too familiar and loose respect for the power of the weapon or are just plain ignorant. What really gets me is the dipstick that handed her the weapon was supposed to be "training" them. He turned his back on her after he handed her the weapon. First time she ever shoots ANYTHING and it is almost herself.

I believe in the 2nd Amendment...and this does nothing to change my mind.

But then, I am also a big fan of Darwin...

I haven't seen recent figures on the matter, but some 400-600 deaths occur in the US annually from "accidents", which, typically, are nothing more than sheer stupidity on the part of the gun owner. While ANY incidents of "accident" are deplorable, when considering that roughly half of all American households own at least one gun..... I find that little a number almost insignificant.

However, aside from the "fighting crime" anti-gun gamebit, the "for your own and public safety" gamebit is played with equal vigor by the gunaphobic.

It is our job, as law abiding, gun safety prone citizens to debunk the gunaphobics' efforts at every turn. 2nd Ammendment not with standing, it is NOT very hard to notice how the Lib/Prog agenda is slowly but surely making a mockery of the Bill of Rights and overstepping the bounds of the Constitution's ideal of "Limited Government" to boot!

(... and if I have to "point out" specifics of this trend, YOU need to do some "catch up" reading on life in the US. LOL!)

GG

I am done with Busiek state parks free gun range.:angry:
Yesterday I take my 13 yr old out to shoot a .22 magnum I picked up cheap to set the dope on the scope. One other group of people was there and they had a guy "teaching them how to shoot" MORON! He had a Glock, an AR15, a KelTec rifle and a .22 mag revolver.
Everything seemed to be cool for about the first 10 minutes or so, then we hear a shot and a scream! We looked over and saw a teen girl juming around and thought she was shot. We carefully approached to see what happened if we needed to go for help (no cell phone signal there) and found out that she was handed the revolver and shot a round throught the end of her flipflop about a half inch from her middle toe. She had powderburns on her foot.
Not to mention that it is a paper target only range and they had bottles, clays, cans and other trash to shoot at. That bullet could have hit anyone. I called the parks dept as soon as I got in phone range.
That is the second time I have seen complete stupidity on display at that gun range. That was my last trip.

Reminds me of a kid in our town. They decided mixing marijuana and beer with firearms was an outstanding idea long story short. The dumb ass blew a hole through the middle of his hand with the 45 he was shooting, now he has a huge hole in his hand.

Seems typical of "unmanned gun ranges". There is a MO Department of Conservation unmanned range near me that just keeps getting worse and worse with gun safety, but the good thing is that the local PD and some Conservation Agents, regularly patrol the range now to enforce the range rules and gun safety...and to make sure you are only shooting paper targets, which use to be a really big problem.

When arriving at a hot gun range you should hang back for a minute and watch the other shooters. Sometimes it's better to call it a day and get out of there.

I was recently moved to second shift and can't shoot anymore, at least until I find another job.

I belong to a private range. I'm a range officer and can get in any time I want, but can only shoot if there's another person in the facility, which is tough during the day, as there's no staff.

I ABSOLUTELY will not shoot at the next closest public range. The last time I shot there, in the space of 15 minutes I was swept by the guy to my right, and three guys on my left wrestled over a loaded 12ga. while yelling at each other in Serbo-Croatian.

I won't shoot any place without proper supervision.

I was recently moved to second shift and can't shoot anymore, at least until I find another job.

I belong to a private range. I'm a range officer and can get in any time I want, but can only shoot if there's another person in the facility, which is tough during the day, as there's no staff.

I ABSOLUTELY will not shoot at the next closest public range. The last time I shot there, in the space of 15 minutes I was swept by the guy to my right, and three guys on my left wrestled over a loaded 12ga. while yelling at each other in Serbo-Croatian.

I won't shoot any place without proper supervision.

Yep! I am with you. The only reason I went to tha range in the first place was to shoot with my kids. We will be making the long drive to some farm property from now on. No more unsupervised ranges for me.

I think saying, "the reason there aren't more gun accidents is a matter of luck" lacks any common sense whatsoever. Don't let a couple fools at a public range completely throw off your opinion of millions of gun owners.

Teenage girl?? The fault lies squarely with the adult. She is old enough to be responsible but this might have been her first time shooting.

Teenage girl?? The fault lies squarely with the adult. She is old enough to be responsible but this might have been her first time shooting.

It was the first time she ever touched a gun! The "instuctor" err' MORON said so. He also said he handed her the weapon and then turned around and "BANG!" The idiot turned his back on her. He is lucky it wasn't worse.

The "moron" as you described failed to teach the three safety rules.
1) Keep the gun UNLOADED until ready to shoot.
2) Keep the gun POINTED in a safe direction.

And in this case most of all:

3) KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL READY TO FIRE!

I also agree with the post of checking out what other people are doing at the range before setting up, but I also do this at the range I am a member of. Just because they paid a fee doesn't mean they know what they are doing!!

Just re-read the original post, another thing is this jacka$$ handed her a loaded firearm.So rule 1 was also missed!

we used to go to a outdoor range nw of chicago,and we had to leave somebody at the firing-line bench with a live loaded .45 to watch our backs when we changed targets ,as the idiots would point ar-15's at people down range,,this lasted 2 times and i wouldn't go back [yes we told the rso],,now when i go to a gun range i wear ''body armor'' or just go to a friends farm ,were the only thing that could happen is bambi could trample me

I go to a free TVA range when I go to my home town to visit, and the only reason I still go is that the 50, 100, and 150 yard ranges are separated by tall dirt burms. So unless it’s very busy I can just move over to one without anyone else. I started doing this because of what happened the last time I tried shooting on the same range as a few other people, which was a group of boys ranging from about 16 to 20. I was shooting with a friend and teaching my 10 year old brother how to shoot. The guys were still unloading there armory onto the table. It consisted of at least an AR, a 1911, and 2 AKs. I yeld at them that I was going down to change targets 2 of them gave the thumbs up, and I started walking down. I got about a 3rd of the way down when one of them started firing an ak down range.

I turned around and went off yelling saying things to them that I’m sure the lord is going to ask me about when I’m getting judged. I can’t even begin to remember what all I said but they heard me over the AK and put it down REAL QUICK! After I calmed down enough to move in some direction other than going to strangle them, I fixed our targets. Then I went and had a little talk with them. Turns out my buddy was about to **** himself because I was “picking a fight with 4 guys holding assault rifles” that’s his words.

Incidents like these don’t change my mind on whether the government should restrict people from owning guns because they are lack common since. I believe we should help guide our own in that respected. I love fire arms as both a hobby and means of self defense, but I have guided some friends (as well as random people I’ve struck up a conversation with) away from owning a gun. Several years ago a good friend of mine was talking about buying a pistol, I already owned a couple. After talking to him I became painfully aware he was gun “stupid” not to be confused with gun “ignorant”. He wanted a set of dual 9 mils in shoulder holsters because he had seen it in a rap video and tried to educate me on how shooting the pistol sideways was better than how the “untrained” fired them. My only advice for him was and still is he doesn’t need one!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back