Shooting range incident

I belong to a Police Range, Public is invited, there is always a Range Master watching over the shooters. Plus before I start my practice I check out the other people.

In 1774 the best training facilities this world has ever seen existed in New England. Everything was perfectly safe. No one moved to the firing line till the ok was given and there were no accidents by morons.

If only we had the ability to recreate the same outstanding, perfectly safe training facilities that existed then we might be able to survive as a race.

lol.

I go to a free TVA range when I go to my home town to visit, and the only reason I still go is that the 50, 100, and 150 yard ranges are separated by tall dirt burms.

By any chance would that be Swan Creek? Sounds just like it in any case.

Has anyone ever thought about trying to advise and/or instruct the gun-neophytes when they encounter them? Seems preferable to wasting your day, or the time it took you to get there and set up. What's the worst that can happen by asking if they need a hand? They tell you to mind your own business and then you leave, but most times they'll probably appreciate whatever wisdom you can impart to them. I would anyway. Link Removed

Blues

How did she get it close enough to her foot to get powder burns?? Had a friend almost put a .44 ball through his foot. It was the guns fault though. Had no more poblems that day until I cleaned it. The hammer wouldnt stay back. The notch on the hammer was rounded off because of a poor hardening job. A file and a blow torch later that was fixed.

Kids need to be taught about guns early.

You rarely heard of some kid killing themselves or another kid through recklessness back in the 50's through the 70's because guns were a part of most family's lives and the kids were taught at an early age to respect them as weapons of destruction.

Nowadays most kids just see movies where their favorite actor gets shot and keeps moving or killed in one movie and goes on to star in another. They are divorced from reality.

It's our job to teach them. The worst cases of irresponsibility are the ones where the parents regularly use weapons, but don't bother to take their kids out and show them the destruction they can cause.

I'm not so sure a gun range is the best place for that kind of teaching. There is too much going on around you to really have one on one time with your child and the whole gun range thing is too structured. A gun range is no more reality than the movies in my opinion.

I'm sure many will disagree, and I'm probably wrong. It's just my opinion.

Here's the newest from the range monkeys...

Stopped by to inspect the range yesterday. Found that someone has used all the surgical tape in the first aid kit to hang their targets. Can't make this stuff up.

Kids need to be taught about guns early.

You rarely heard of some kid killing themselves or another kid through recklessness back in the 50's through the 70's because guns were a part of most family's lives and the kids were taught at an early age to respect them as weapons of destruction.

Nowadays most kids just see movies where their favorite actor gets shot and keeps moving or killed in one movie and goes on to star in another. They are divorced from reality.

It's our job to teach them. The worst cases of irresponsibility are the ones where the parents regularly use weapons, but don't bother to take their kids out and show them the destruction they can cause.

I'm not so sure a gun range is the best place for that kind of teaching. There is too much going on around you to really have one on one time with your child and the whole gun range thing is too structured. A gun range is no more reality than the movies in my opinion.

I'm sure many will disagree, and I'm probably wrong. It's just my opinion.

Must be a full moon or something because I almost agree with accidentalfelon for once. Your comment about the '50's -'70's is wrong as I lost several friends and relatives due to some mishandling of guns back then. We tend to forget those things and like to think that it was a great time in our lives but there were many deaths and injuries due to guns. There are much fewer deaths and injuries from mishandling of guns now due to one, more emphasis on gun safety and two, a lot less people handling guns but to say that there were few back then is just plain forgetful.

You have made a great point when you day they are divorced from reality. Kids and adults today are bombarded so much by TV and video games where you hit the reset button and start over or someone comes in at the last second to save you that it starts to effect your thinking that death is not final or it is just a flesh wound. All of this leads to "It won't happen to me".

Someone has to teach them...... I really hate to hear some of the comments that people post about witnessing some stupid act. If a person has never been told not to look down the barrel of a gun how are they to know it? How is a person supposed to know what to do at the range if they have never been told? Too many people throw up their hands at some person who makes a very serious mistake and writes them off as stupid expecting them to learn by osmosis or be born knowing how to handle a gun. And YES people need to be shown the destruction that a gun can cause. So do we just give up on someone when they make a stupid mistake and forget about them or do we try to help.

A good point that you make is before you go to the range provide some instruction. Do not wait until you get to the range to show someone the parts of a gun, how to hold it and explain the rules of gun safety. Too many people take their children, girlfriend, friend etc. to the range to allow them to hold a gun for the first time. They then hand the person a loaded gun and start trying to explain what to do with it. That is the gun idiot and that is not what the range is for. You don't try to teach someone calculus before they learn arithmetic.

Our new indoor range started off slow on safety, no written rules just pay and go shoot. Well someone was moving his rifle around loaded and fired a shot that glanced off the wall and nicked another shooter.
No threat to life but it did get them thinking a little about safety. I still worry and keep close watch on the other
people who are shooting.

Now our big outdoor range is a different story they have you sit through a class room and hear a lot about firearm handling and safety at their range, then they take you out to watch you do some shooting.
This is before you are allowed to go out and shoot alone.
They have people driving around checking up on just what is happening.
Break their rules and you are told to leave.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back