Question I was pondering???

marionandjohn

Let me start off with I like to sit and think about different situations and then convince myself of the best said solution to said question. I come up with some pretty bazar situations at different times but this was is really kinda eerking me.

Your in your home wife kids home or maybe not (part of the what if's) the dog is out back inside the fence or maybe chained up in your yard. Dog starts barking and you go see whats the bother. Standing there is a person pointing a gun at your dog what do you do? Is your dogs life considered in the 3rd party law? I feel he is part of my family period but not sure if the law would. Now lets say the guy is acctually on your property doing this or that the kid(s) are outside with in eye sight of this does that change anything? What if you have one of those wireless fences and the guy is outside the boundry or inside? And last lets say the guy is using a rifle from the neighbors yard (outside of pistol range) Again I have not been able to convince myself 100% (close enough) as to what I would do so thoughts or 2 cents are more then welcomed.

legalese

Let me start off with I like to sit and think about different situations and then convince myself of the best said solution to said question. I come up with some pretty bazar situations at different times but this was is really kinda eerking me.

Your in your home wife kids home or maybe not (part of the what if's) the dog is out back inside the fence or maybe chained up in your yard. Dog starts barking and you go see whats the bother. Standing there is a person pointing a gun at your dog what do you do? Is your dogs life considered in the 3rd party law? I feel he is part of my family period but not sure if the law would. Now lets say the guy is acctually on your property doing this or that the kid(s) are outside with in eye sight of this does that change anything? What if you have one of those wireless fences and the guy is outside the boundry or inside? And last lets say the guy is using a rifle from the neighbors yard (outside of pistol range) Again I have not been able to convince myself 100% (close enough) as to what I would do so thoughts or 2 cents are more then welcomed.

My opinion..most of these scenarios would probably be prosecuteable(sp).With all the circumstances and what ifs that would come up, I suspect that you would need a very good lawyer.:patsak:

My opinion..most of these scenarios would probably be prosecuteable(sp).With all the circumstances and what ifs that would come up, I suspect that you would need a very good lawyer.:patsak:

I take it you mean the use of deadly force would be prosecuteable. I am not saying thats what I would or wouldnt do, thats why I asked the question. I know what the law of my state say and understand the law for the most part (except the pet part) I am wondering what would you do given the situations. If my kids or wife were out side then the first notion the guy made towards any of them would be game over for him but that is besides the point and the point of the question is just a what if scenerio and to ponder about how you feel you would react. I truly belive I would go outside and retrieve my dog, after all I am on my property and wether I have a permit or not does not stop me from being armed (atleast in my states)

Do I feel threatened? Do I fear for the safety of my wife or kids by an immediate threat. (a man pointing a handgun or rifle is a threat.) I will remove the threat. By the way do not threaten my dog either.

Here in Florida, You got gun pointed at my Dog, you are history... You are commiting a Felony on my property.

Point it at my dog, I will probably mistake it for being pointed at me, and then act accordingly.

The answer to your question varies according to where you're located. I know that here, in Michigan, your pet is considered personal property and deadly force is not permitted to protect property. I've heard a few people suggest that in some places you are authorized using deadly force to defend property... but I have no idea where.

I ran the same scenario through my head and made it my business to find the answer.

The answer to your question varies according to where you're located. I know that here, in Michigan, your pet is considered personal property and deadly force is not permitted to protect property. I've heard a few people suggest that in some places you are authorized using deadly force to defend property... but I have no idea where.

I ran the same scenario through my head and made it my business to find the answer.

Texas.

In SC the old agricultural rules still apply. Animals are just that--animals and do not have the same protection as humans. Having said that there is an element of he said, he said here in that you can easily convince yourself that you had a reasonable expectation that your life was being threatened by a person who is in possession of a firearm that is aimed in your direction, if not directly at you. An example in my community involved a few dogs and a cat. The question asked of the LEO after the cat was killed by the dogs was could I have shot the dogs before or while they were attacking the cat. The answer was no but with a wink and a nod the LEO basically said the fine for such an act is probably worth it if it is your cat. IMO if I have a dog that is a member of my family, I will protect it since, by my own definition, it IS a member of my family and I will always believe that this individual, who apparently finds it fun to try and shoot my dog for no reason, would just as soon shoot me and I would definitely have a reasonable fear for my own life and safety BUT I will need an attorney.

In TN, the "Castle Doctrine" allows for deadly force on your property. Dude I don't know has a gun pointed at ANYONE on my property, he's as good as dead.

In TN, the "Castle Doctrine" allows for deadly force on your property. Dude I don't know has a gun pointed at ANYONE on my property, he's as good as dead.

I am not so sure on that. Obviously if he is on your property with a weapon is a little different but I do recall from my carry class that you do NOT have the right to use deadly force to protect personal property (in TN) how ever if you go to stop someone and the threat is turned to you then you have the right of self defence, it would come down to how TN thinks of pets (in a legal term). I do like the answer of if someone is pointing a gun at my dog then I would feel he could also point it at me before or after he is done with the dog.

This scenario mainly depends on individual state laws. In SC since he is on your property with a firearm drawn he's probably going to be history regardless of the dog. A dog and pets in general are property and you have a right to protect your property. The Castle Doctrine doesn't specify what property you can protect. The old saying; Dead men tell no lies is true in this case. The gun in is hand proves my right to protect my property and myself.

My dog is not a piece of property...oh yes! he is a Democrat, depending on me for everything, but he is a member of this family -- my family. If anyone even think of harming my dog, s/he has ME to answer for. My dog will die of either old age or some sort of early undetectable illness but not from a bullet nor a baseball bat. I AM SERIOUS!

My dog is not a piece of property...oh yes! he is a Democrat, depending on me for everything, but he is a member of this family -- my family. If anyone even think of harming my dog, s/he has ME to answer for. My dog will die of either old age or some sort of early undetectable illness but not from a bullet nor a baseball bat. I AM SERIOUS!

My sentiments exactly! Don't get me wrong they were a part of my family. My dogs got more respect from me than my own kids.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with that philosophy. If you're aware of the laws governing you and you choose to obey them or thumb your nose at them... that's your business and your choice.

I have two Cocker Spaniels and a cat. They're closer to me than a lot of members of my family. They've earned love and respect and they get it. They live better lives than many children I know of. I have spent money I didn't have on medical care for my pets and I would do it again. If the law in my state allowed I'd have no problem with terminating the existence of any scum bag that threatened them. It's just too damned bad but that's not the case.

I love these scenarios. We need to train our bodies to be able to effectively defend ourselves but too often we forget we need to train our minds just as much... if not more. When the actual situation does arise there's no time to consider the ramifications of our actions.

As I've said before... I have responsibilities... to people... and in my thinking I can't afford to spend the rest of my life in prison because I defended my dog. If you think otherwise... I have no problem with that... none at all. I just hope everyone gives this a lot of consideration before the actual situation arises.

Point it at my dog, I will probably mistake it for being pointed at me, and then act accordingly.

+1

My dogs are always with me properly leashed so if you have a gun pointed at them, you'll have me and my wife pointing ours at you.

No good can come of this

Not only would I yell at the perp to get his attention...I would probably be ready for him when he brings his gun to bear on me or my family. You see I realize that animals do not have a soul but also If you are so stupid as to shoot a man's dog in broad daylight then you need to be stopped. Calling 911 and reporting an armed assailant on my property is step one. Yelling at the guy to drop the gun is step two. If he does great...If he does not...when he turns and brings the gun to bear it's Katy bar the door because this is going to escalate in a bad way very quickly. At least it will all be on the 911 tapes for the jury.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back