opinions on open carry

Open or Concealed

If you open carry you deter crime you accept the fact someone my call the cops on you but if your state ok's it so be it. I never carry open don't like the eyes on me If I was somewhere rual maybe

B2, you know damn good and well that your example of POLICE officers being targeted is outright wrong... they were NOT targeted because they were open carrying, they were targeted because they were cops....

Your stance/argument is so weak you have to resort to bull-crap/smoke and mirrors to try to support it... Pathetic

Thus we "put to rest" the deterrent factor! Iffin the BG is not afraid to "pop a cop", what does that tell you about obviously "armed citizens"? Just sayin'.

I would consider B2's "input" a legitimate observation.

GG

Thus we "put to rest" the deterrent factor! Iffin the BG is not afraid to "pop a cop", what does that tell you about obviously "armed citizens"? Just sayin'.

I would consider B2's "input" a legitimate observation.

GG

Thanks GG. I don't see every post due to my ignore list.

It's getting deep in here. Time to break out the hip waders....

Why do you think cops wear uniforms, badges, and are openly armed in America? It's called deterrence. Something you really should research sometime and see how deterrence really works.

If there was no deterrent value to the uniform, badge and gun, then cops should all be plainclothes and conceal carry and watch for a criminal to commit the act then jump out and yell, "SURPRISE!"

Why do alarm companies put signs in front yards? It's called deterrence.

Why do cars with alarms have flashing lights in the dashboard? It's called deterrence.

Why do banks and armored car companies hire uniformed security guards and drive visibly armored vehicles? It's called deterrence.

Why do these companies do this? Surely they can afford research and development teams, right? Do you think those research and develop teams came back and said, "We need to use the element of surprise?"

If the "element of surprise" is so successful, then why don't armored car companies transport their money in Volkswagen buses instead of making it a point to display the armor on their vehicles so prominently? Why not just have a covert team of guards follow the Volkswagen bus and when a robbery happens jump out and yell, "SURPRISE!" It's called deterrence.

Anybody that is in the security business knows the value of HIGHLY VISIBLE deterrence, and do you think the big companies would continue to use HIGHLY VISIBLE deterrence if it wasn't effective? Why don't Brinks and ADT rely on the "element of surprise" instead of HIGHLY VISIBLE deterrence? I guess GG and B2Tall must know better than companies like Brinks and ADT....

Well.... we ALL know of your "take" on the value of deterrance, L/Cdr. I believe the point of the discussion hinged on the fact that it doesn't always work. It's kind of like the observation that locked doors just tend to keep the honest..... honest. So, all the "show of arms" here, there and everywhere, by LEO's, Armed Guards, Civilians, et al, could (and probably does) keep the honest honest (and probably makes some of the BG wannabees reconsider their area of operations) BUT.... there is always going to be those who armed deterrence will only cause either immediate "threat reduction" actions or a change in target priority.

So how does or would a street mugging "go down" if a large, even a majority of citizens OC'ed? Simple, work in teams, bushwack the "carrier" (easy to spot in advance) from a safe distance. Once you drop the "carrier" you simply relieve him/her of whatever your perceived loot was to be, plus a nice gun to pawn off on the secondary market. (Now THAT'S what I call a "target of opportunity"!)

You see, determined BGs alter their tactics to suit ongoing conditions. One of the reasons why we now see "home invaders" wearing "vests" and/or cop uniforms lately. They are NOT completely stupid. They have survival instincts just like the rest of us.

Speaking of the value of deterrence...... seems to me that the best, greatest military, intelligence network on the planet didn't stop a group of crazies from plowing hijacked aircraft into a couple of large buildings a few years back. (Talk about "In your face!)

Our reaction/defensive measures? Two wars, an entire multi Billion Dollar Homeland Security Department, and an exhaustive airport screening process costing Billions (and another Government Worker Union to deal with). Not a bad "return" on minimum investment from the Muzzie POV, IMHO.

ANY visible defensive measure can be outsmarted/out thought/circumvented over time.... with appropriate planning. Exactly why the best defence is a good offence.

But, then again, I could care less either way. You cover your butt the best you can your way, I'll do the same for my butt, my way.

Pax prosecutus maximus!

GG

So how does or would a street mugging "go down" if a large, even a majority of citizens OC'ed? Simple, work in teams, bushwack the "carrier" (easy to spot in advance) from a safe distance. Once you drop the "carrier" you simply releave him/her of whatever your perceived loot was to be, plus a nice gun to pawn off on the secondary market. (Now THAT'S what I call a "target of opportunity"!)

You see, determined BGs alter their tactics to suit ongoing conditions. One of the reasons why we now see "home invaders" wearing "vests" and/or cop uniforms lately. They are NOT completely stupid. They have survival instincts just like the rest of us.

GG

Ahhhh, the "open carrier being targeted" falsehood again.....

Neat little scenario that has been continuously spewed by those like you who dont especially like open carry...... BUT NEVER BACKED UP WITH ANYTHING OTHER THAN YOUR "STORIES" of "how it COULD happen", and never, ever any proof that it actually happens..........

If you (you being those who spout this "story" all the time) did have any proof, you would be rubbing our (those who support open carry) faces in it each time we challenge you to provide it...... Frankly it is getting quite tiring to keep asking for this non-existent proof and never getting it, why dont you anti-open carry people just give it up? because we who live in reality WILL NOT LET YOU GET AWAY with spreading falsehoods and rumors without pointing it out to all how un-supported/false your theory actually is.........
Me?, I'll stick to the real world....... and carry open whenever I want (which is almost 90% of the time) and keep from getting robbed or bothered by those who actually are looking to rob someone....

Speaking of the value of deterrence...... seems to me that the best, greatest military, intelligence network on the planet didn't stop a group of crazies from plowing hijacked aircraft into a couple of large buildings a few years back. (Talk about "In your face!)

According to your theories, though, the 9/11 terrorists should have attacked aircraft carriers. I wonder why they didn't? Take out the biggest threat first, right? Don't go after the unarmed victims, go after the big guns, right? Isn't that what you say will happen?

Deterrence isn't going to work every time. But if it works just once, for me and my family, it's worth it. And the odds are much, much greater that a crime will be deterred by a visible show of ability to use defensive force against the odds that it will incite a crime. I'll stick with odds in my favor.

:smile:Wow! Why can't we keep it civil? We are, after all, on the same side, aren't we?

:smile:Wow! Why can't we keep it civil? We are, after all, on the same side, aren't we?

Being civil with antis is what has gotten us here in the first place.......

Those spreading rumors and lies as fact will be pointed out/exposed for what/who they are.

Someone without much knowledge/experience could be reading this type pf forum... and may take bad advice if it isnt pointed out and dealt with....That bad advice (in some cases/subject, not necessarily this particular thread) could actually cost them their life if they take it as the truth.....

Those that keep repeating that which has been proven false are worse than anti-gunners in my book. At least anti-gunners say they hate guns..... some on here have no clue what Constitutional Rights really are, not to mention how life actually works in the real world, all they ever do is repeat what their teachers/instructors told them as the gospel and refuse to accept anything else.......

Ahhhh, the "open carrier being targeted" falsehood again.....

Neat little scenario that has been continuously spewed by those like you who dont especially like open carry...... BUT NEVER BACKED UP WITH ANYTHING OTHER THAN YOUR "STORIES" of "how it COULD happen", and never, ever any proof that it actually happens..........

If you (you being those who spout this "story" all the time) did have any proof, you would be rubbing our (those who support open carry) faces in it each time we challenge you to provide it...... Frankly it is getting quite tiring to keep asking for this non-existent proof and never getting it, why dont you anti-open carry people just give it up? because we who live in reality WILL NOT LET YOU GET AWAY with spreading falsehoods and rumors without pointing it out to all how un-supported/false your theory actually is.........
Me?, I'll stick to the real world....... and carry open whenever I want (which is almost 90% of the time) and keep from getting robbed or bothered by those who actually are looking to rob someone....

Quite possibly you are correct in your assumptions. I don't know. Neither do you, for that matter. I'm not certain if shooting investigations get into the details of asking a perp what and why his "target list" was such and such.

My entire statement was based on what and how I would handle the situation if I were a determined perp. Since I've never had actual experience in "Perping", except in the consideration of ambushes, setting of clever fields of fire in defence and immediate reaction drills to meeting enguagement firefights... I rely on that.

Like I said, CYA your way. I'll CMA mine. (No sence getting all "hostile" about it. It's unbecoming.) LOL!

Whoever lives longest.... wins!

GG

According to your theories, though, the 9/11 terrorists should have attacked aircraft carriers. I wonder why they didn't? Take out the biggest threat first, right? Don't go after the unarmed victims, go after the big guns, right? Isn't that what you say will happen?

Deterrence isn't going to work every time. But if it works just once, for me and my family, it's worth it. And the odds are much, much greater that a crime will be deterred by a visible show of ability to use defensive force against the odds that it will incite a crime. I'll stick with odds in my favor.

You have a remarkable predeliction of missing the point. Not to mention a tenacity to "jump at the bait" for every "hook" offered you. With utterly predictable talking points to boot.

Like I said in other posts..... you do it your way. I'll do it mine. (Which, if you will remember correctly, is exactly how our last "discussion" over the matter ended up.) (Which YOU should have predicted if you had considered things in "de-hyped" mode.)

Although the "aircraft carrier" gamebit was nicely played, IMHO. Completely beside the point, but nicely played.

GG

P.S. As an aside.... why is it you OC adherents are so quick to jump up in defence of your chosen "methods"? A case of "the lady doth protest too much"? Guilt trip? Realization that not all self defence proponents see things your way? Anyway, comes across as altogether too "touchy" to suit me. I'm not generally a confrontationalist, more of a to each his/her own. Just sayin'.

For the most part, most of us do. As for "the same side"..... given the disparity in the "things I would do in such and such a situation" posts we get in here.... I sometimes wonder.

But, like all discussions, sometimes some folks get so wrapped up in THEIR personal "best answer" to a question, they will not even contemplate examination of alternate POVs. Rather like the discussions of "Best..." (Gun, carry position, safety features, target acquisition techniques, holster, ammo....... well.... YOU name it.) For as many posters, there will be nearly as many differing opinions. Which is exactly why we post, to see what other folks have to say on the matter, for consideration..... NOT arguement for YOUR particuclar POV. (Well, at least, that is why I post.)

So, if the fur DOES fly on occasion, don't let it trouble you. In the end we will all do exactly what our hearts, our minds, our own interests, our own comfort level tells us to do. THAT'S my idea of freedom of choice. "Conversions" to another POV in ANY forum are few and far between, therefore I do not insist on anything, I merely point out things of interest.

If that pointing out of things sends some folks into spasms of insult, demeaning language, ad hominem nonsence..... in the world of REAL debate, you get points.

.... and I do have to admit that sometimes I deliberately needle folks that are so closed minded to alternate POVs that their reactions (and posts) are utterly predictable. Especially if they come across to me as borderline pompus! (Nasty habit, I know. But a source of infinate entertainment, at times. Mea culpa.)

Ruck up, move out. Don't mean nothin'! LOL!

GG

P.S. As an aside.... why is it you OC adherents are so quick to jump up in defence of your chosen "methods"? A case of "the lady doth protest too much"? Guilt trip? Realization that not all self defence proponents see things your way? Anyway, comes across as altogether too "touchy" to suit me. I'm not generally a confrontationalist, more of a to each his/her own. Just sayin'.

The only thing we are quick to jump on is the presentation of unproven theories as fact. The statement, "A criminal is going to shoot you first in a robbery if you open carry" has NEVER happened in reality. It's that simple. Research and history both offer proof that the MAJORITY of criminals will not bother with a target that is known to be armed.

I don't care if you base your choices on what-if scenarios in your head and/or unproven theories. But don't try to tell me those theories have any basis in reality, because they don't.

But, like all discussions, sometimes some folks get so wrapped up in THEIR personal "best answer" to a question, they will not even contemplate examination of alternate POVs......GG

I agree with your entire post. Now you know why I added a couple of names to my ignore list. I don't ignore everyone I disagree with, just a select few with whom it's pointless to offer a differing view (to say nothing of the obvious trolls who stalk these boards).

After reading through the thread, I'm going to have to side with lcdr. Here is why:

1. A hardened target does not have to be armored. The term hardened is in reference to your presentation. A soldier with his rifle hanging to his side, with more of a relaxed posture is less hardened than a soldier with his hand on the grip in an attentive posture.

2. The warship references didn't make sense to me. As citizens we are not at war. The somali pirates is a better example about society. Pirates would not even consider taking a vessel that had a guard. How often do you hear about a store next to a police station being robbed?

3. No one can provide proof that open carriers have been targeted. I do not believe police are in the oc group because they have presented themselves differently with the uniform and badge.

4. Where are these determined criminals? How long has it been since a professional team robbed a bank for large sums in the United States? Seems the only stories I have read deal with a single person going for a single register. I think the big bank robbery scenario is to close to hollywood. My view of a determined bad guy is one who does not plan to come out alive...in which case, it depends on the place being attacked, and it's luck whether or not your are the first victim.

4. We train a lot to practice staying aware during high adrenaline situations. The simple criminal will have tunnel vision with the adrenaline rush they are having. Unless you were the first victim, they most likely wont see an open carrier 10 feet outside their determined route. (this one is my opinion)

5. A lot of you who believe oc will make you a target base that off of what you would do if you were a bad guy. Problem is, the average bad guy is not very smart. We may be opinionated here, but most of us show some intelligence in our arguments.

6. I have not found anything about ccw'rs surprising a bad guy. I have read about ccw'rs deterring an attack just by presenting their weapon. I have read about people stopping a crime by surprising the criminal from behind, in which case, form of carry didn't matter.

7. The common criminal is looking for the easy target. Even the smallest amount of struggling or fighting back can deter a bad guy. They are counting on their victim to give up or freeze. They dont look for strong able bodies that can defend themselves. Deterrence is a great reason to oc.

The only reason I dont like oc is because I feel uncomfortable around the general public. Sound like those who do oc dont have issues. I feel, the sponge society is soaking up all the left wing media garbage anti gun crap....out of sight out of mind works for me. Deterrence is great, but situational awareness is more important in my mind.

After reading through the thread, I'm going to have to side with lcdr. Here is why:

1. A hardened target does not have to be armored. The term hardened is in reference to your presentation. A soldier with his rifle hanging to his side, with more of a relaxed posture is less hardened than a soldier with his hand on the grip in an attentive posture.

2. The warship references didn't make sense to me. As citizens we are not at war. The somali pirates is a better example about society. Pirates would not even consider taking a vessel that had a guard. How often do you hear about a store next to a police station being robbed?

3. No one can provide proof that open carriers have been targeted. I do not believe police are in the oc group because they have presented themselves differently with the uniform and badge.

4. Where are these determined criminals? How long has it been since a professional team robbed a bank for large sums in the United States? Seems the only stories I have read deal with a single person going for a single register. I think the big bank robbery scenario is to close to hollywood. My view of a determined bad guy is one who does not plan to come out alive...in which case, it depends on the place being attacked, and it's luck whether or not your are the first victim.

4. We train a lot to practice staying aware during high adrenaline situations. The simple criminal will have tunnel vision with the adrenaline rush they are having. Unless you were the first victim, they most likely wont see an open carrier 10 feet outside their determined route. (this one is my opinion)

5. A lot of you who believe oc will make you a target base that off of what you would do if you were a bad guy. Problem is, the average bad guy is not very smart. We may be opinionated here, but most of us show some intelligence in our arguments.

6. I have not found anything about ccw'rs surprising a bad guy. I have read about ccw'rs deterring an attack just by presenting their weapon. I have read about people stopping a crime by surprising the criminal from behind, in which case, form of carry didn't matter.

7. The common criminal is looking for the easy target. Even the smallest amount of struggling or fighting back can deter a bad guy. They are counting on their victim to give up or freeze. They dont look for strong able bodies that can defend themselves. Deterrence is a great reason to oc.

The only reason I dont like oc is because I feel uncomfortable around the general public. Sound like those who do oc dont have issues. I feel, the sponge society is soaking up all the left wing media garbage anti gun crap....out of sight out of mind works for me. Deterrence is great, but situational awareness is more important in my mind.

I'll address some of your points:

2. The ships were a metaphor. It wasn't meant to be taken literally. It was directed at a (alleged) naval officer.

3. It's called common sense. Like I (and others) have pointed out, stats on who got targeted first aren't available. Also, you don't need to be shot at to be "targeted". You need only to be disarmed. In that case you've just put another gun on the street as well as losing the option fight back on even terms if necessary.

4. Criminals who aren't deterred by armed targets operate every day. Armored cars, pawn shops, check cashing stores, jewelry stores, banks, etc. that have armed guards on the premesis get robbed every day. In Florida (where I live) it's very easy to buy a firearm for protection yet every day BGs rob bodegas, convenience stores, news stands, etc. even though they know there's a fairly high probability that the person behind the counter may very well have access to a gun.

4(b). Note: You have two #4s in your post. Anyway, you're making the classic and often fatal mistake of underestimating your enemy. I don't need to go any further than that.

5. Again, you are underestimating the opponent. I, on the other hand, prefer to look at worst-case scenarios.

6. Really?? Seriously?? Again, this is where common sense comes into play.

7. Agree for the most part but unfortunately that's not the case 100% of the time. Again, you're treating all BGs as the same and underestimating them. Not all BGs are intimidated by somebody with a gun. Many of them have grown up dodging bullets. For those people it's second nature, and if it's one of those types that you encounter....well let's just say that I believe the pistol on your hip just became a liability.

I'm 47 yrs old. I have never once been in or around an armed robbery or the like. None of my family members have. None of my friends have. In other words, neither myself nor anyone I know has ever been in a situation where OCing would have deterred a crime. Not saying it'll never happen....just saying it's highly unlikely. On the other hand, If I do choose to OC, I'm convinced that the likelyhood of me encountering an agressive and/or ignorant LEO, a jittery citizen (who calls the LEO), or an ani-gun business owner (who calls the LEO or tells me to leave) is pretty good. I don't need the headaches involved in such an encounter, plus I prefer to retain the element of surprise.

Like I said in an earlier post - it's called "camouflage" (or "stealth" if you prefer) and it has all sorts of offensive and defensive applications. I'm pro-OC. It's just not for me.

P.S. As an aside.... why is it you OC adherents are so quick to jump up in defense of your chosen "methods"? A case of "the lady doth protest too much"? Guilt trip? Realization that not all self defense proponents see things your way?

Those exact words could be used to describe "those Conceal Carry adherents".......

Thing is, Being bashed by Conceal Carry advocates about open carrying is worse than being bashed by anti's for carrying at all........ At least anti's are truthful about not liking guns..... From my experience on this and other forums, the Conceal Carry ONLY people seem to have a hatred for those that dont carry "THE" way that "THEY" approve of..... not much more can be said to describe them...

Being vilified by those who SHOULD have a big enough clue about our RIGHTS to at least acknowledge (like you have, ty) that we should all carry the way we, as individuals, want to.... will not be tolerated (IOW, I wont be silent about it)

I agree with your entire post. Now you know why I added a couple of names to my ignore list. I don't ignore everyone I disagree with, just a select few with whom it's pointless to offer a differing view (to say nothing of the obvious trolls who stalk these boards).

Which is also why YOU are on so many people's ignore list, in fact, you are probably on more ignore lists than anyone else........

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back