opinions on open carry

This thread is treading dangerously close to "sheepdog" teritory.

Yeah. I was thinking that it's kind of odd that some folks who claim not to be sheepdogs on other threads seem to feel the need to strap on the iron and go around in public "deterring crime" by their mere presence.

Punch: NavyLCDR's DecofInd observation:It is one of the reasons why the Second Ammendment exists.

I can't think of a case where the Supremes ruled an ammendment unconstitutional. Anyone?

GG

Man I get a kick out of these OCvsCC threads. I even knew it would come down to badges eventually ,lol.

I mostly read to see what I can learn, but don't post much. however...

Some OC, some CC, some 95%, some would not OC in some situations, some would not CC in some situations, some would cover there weapon with an elbow (congrats on your promotion NavyLCDR) etc. etc.

This scenario from my CCW instructor:

You and a group are herded into a back room (you're CCing) during a bank robbery. the cops have arrived and the BG's are going to shoot hostages. The instructor's suggestion was for you to say something like "gee I wish someone had a gun" to feel out the rest of the group. He said you might be surprised by somebody saying "I've got a gun" and then formulate a plan. If, however someone would disparage having a weapon you would just put some of the group between yourself and the door.

My thinking in all of this, considering antis and all, is I don't want to be in the position to be forced into deciding to use my weapon by anyone else (understanding of course that it's still ultimately my decision).

Not having bystanders involved in my decision to draw (which I haven't seen discussed) is one of the reasons I mostly CC.

Rick

2A-Anyway

My thinking in all of this, considering antis and all, is I don't want to be in the position to be forced into deciding to use my weapon by anyone else (understanding of course that it's still ultimately my decision).

Not having bystanders involved in my decision to draw (which I haven't seen discussed) is one of the reasons I mostly CC.

Rick

2A-Anyway
FORCED into deciding to use your weapon by someone else? I think you need stop carrying a weapon until you can overcome this need to do what others want you to do with YOUR weapon..... WHY do you care what the "anti's" think? Why even consider what someone who refuses to protect themselves (and wants YOU disarmed too) has to say?

I carry open in WI because that is the only way we can carry legally here. That is, until November 1st and if I get a license to CC. I have not had anyone approach me yet and ask about me carrying, either civilians or LEOs. Nobody around where I live seems to havea problem with it, adn even if they did it is their problem not mine.

This was an entertaining choice for my first thread to read through on this forum *g*.

I've never had a problem OC'ing but it isn't an uncommon thing here in AZ so people mostly don't get freaked out about it. How I carry (OC vs. CC) depends on a number of things but it is nice to have the choice to do either.

I've yet to be given any instances where a person OC'ing was killed by a criminal first because they were wearing a visible gun, on any of the myriad of threads on this subject, on any of the numerous other gun forums I frequent.

Punch: NavyLCDR's DecofInd observation:It is one of the reasons why the Second Ammendment exists.

I can't think of a case where the Supremes ruled an ammendment unconstitutional. Anyone?

GG

The SCOTUS cannot declare a part of the Constitution unconstitutional. The can, however, interpret an Amendment to near uselessnes. In spite of the Second Amendment, the SCOTUS has pretty well gutted the 4th and 10th Ammendments, and set pretty arbitrary limits on the 1st and 2nd. I believe the 2nd Amendment is far more about overthrowing a government that has become unconstitutional than it is about whether or not a weapon is open or concealed.

The SCOTUS cannot declare a part of the Constitution unconstitutional. The can, however, interpret an Amendment to near uselessnes. In spite of the Second Amendment, the SCOTUS has pretty well gutted the 4th and 10th Ammendments, and set pretty arbitrary limits on the 1st and 2nd. I believe the 2nd Amendment is far more about overthrowing a government that has become unconstitutional than it is about whether or not a weapon is open or concealed.

Circle today on the calendar, you and I agree on something. That's exactly what the 2nd Amendment is about. I believe the 2nd Amendment is written to protect the citizen from the government just like the rest of the Constitution is. I don't believe the 2nd Amendment was ever written to protect the rights of the citizen from criminals - well...until the government becomes the criminal.

I WISH I could open carry. I live in Connecticut, one of the most liberal, anti-citizen states there is. Since CT is a may issue state and the board of firearms only issues to those they deem "suitable" to carry a firearm, we can have our permits revoked for printing or accidental exposure.

I live in Iowa where this is a big issue because recently the law changed taking power away from the Sherif allowing us to open carry with our permits however I always conceal because I don't want the criminal to know I have a gun if they have a gun and are willing to use it I think open carry just makes you the criminals first target

I don't necessarily think open carry makes you a direct target. Granted if it is an organized robery it could but for everyday "dumb" crimes, it is more likely to make them think twice.

Personally the only time I would open carry is when I am working in my private business. Currently if I leave the house, I conceal carry.

Time for Oklahoma to get Open Carry passed while we have a Governor that is not veto happy!

I live in New Hampshire which is open carry, permit only for cc. I prefer to cc for the element of surprise but also to prevent locals from calling the cops. Of course the cops won't hassle me but I just don't need heart aches. Also up here and i guess in other states, it all depends on where visit or live in NH. I know my neighbors would not understand.

I live in New Hampshire which is open carry, permit only for cc. I prefer to cc for the element of surprise but also to prevent locals from calling the cops. Of course the cops won't hassle me but I just don't need heart aches. Also up here and i guess in other states, it all depends on where visit or live in NH. I know my neighbors would not understand.

Here we go again with what I have now termed "The LIE That NEVER Dies"

Kinda torn on open carry. As others have said, the element of surprise is gone,JUST BECAUSE OTHERS HAVE SAID IT DOES NOT MAKE IT CORRECT! the fact that it makes some people nervous, etc (so what? they dont have a Constitutional right NOT to be nervous).....then there's the fact that too many macho idiots think it's "cool" to show everybody they carry a gun.(please give ACTUAL examples/facts here, not just your opinion) I know too many complete morons, that I wouldn't want within 100 yards of a firearm. Of course the majority of people don't fall into that category, but it only takes one to make a mess.:triniti:

Here it is AGAIN!!!!! someone PLEASE kill it!!!!

Apparently some people just can't grasp the concept of camouflage (i.e. hiding a gun) and it's offensive and defensive applications. It's kind of a new theory.....it's only been around since the beginning of life on earth. Maybe one day everybody will get the memo........

FORCED into deciding to use your weapon by someone else? I think you need stop carrying a weapon until you can overcome this need to do what others want you to do with YOUR weapon..... WHY do you care what the "anti's" think? Why even consider what someone who refuses to protect themselves (and wants YOU disarmed too) has to say?

Thanks for the advice.

Perhaps my choice of words was wrong as I won't be FORCED to do anything and I don't care what anyone thinks.

I just mentioned a scenario where someone might be trying to influence one ("Hey, you got a gun, use it"!). Perhaps it's even a situation where the use of deadly force would not be justified.

Has it ever happened? Probably not. I hadn't seen it addressed before
so maybe it's not a valid concern....

Rick,

2A - Anyway

Thanks Axe. You pissed me off enough to get me over to the opencarry board. Lots of good stuff over there. Might be re-thinking things a bit. If I had the time, I'd give you about 2 pages of examples you asked for, but I just don't care to spend that much time on you.
Have always open carried on the ranch, since I was about 10 years old. Legal or illegal. Just something people have done down there forever. Thanks to the wife, I'm in the suburbs now. Lotta difference in here and the border. Unfamiliar territory, and I'm trying to gradually fit in with the slickers.
Anyways, your smartass might have actually gotten me to re-evaluate a bit.

I would sincerely appreciate ANY proof you could give that you were right that "the element of surprise" is a DEFENSIVE tactic, and I believe there are MANY others who would appreciate those 2 full pages of it also.....

BTW, I am not a smarta$$ I am an a$$hole, yes, there is a difference... I just dont give a rip if I tick someone off.... the truth hurts you know.....

I have yet to have an issue with OC. I have been in banks and everywhere else. Never a negative comment. I went
into a coffee shop with six officers in there and not a word.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back