Open carry incident in Nashville gets me detained 2.5 hour at gun point carried AK-47

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like JJflash's analogy with the old man on the porch, perhaps putting him standing on the side of the road near a school bus stop would be even more scary, but still ... HE WOULD BE TOTALLY WITHIN HIS "RIGHTS" and based on the arguments here, you would have to support him and LEO "checking him out" would be totally innappropriate.

So, you are saying that this man, who accosted no-one, said nothing at all innapropriate to anyone, showed no aggression to anyone, and did NOTHING AT ALL ILLEGAL or IMMORAL..... Is now the same as someone like the pervert JJ wrote about???

You both need help from professionals if you actually think that way......

I consider someone painting the tip of their gun orange to fool people the same as someone waving a white flag to try and gain access to the enemies camp to set off an explosion. If not for the orange paint I would fully support kwik but as far as I am concerned he should be locked away in a looney bin with a camera on him at all times so the public could follow him and give him all the attention he yerns for.

You obviously didnt look at the pictures he posted, All of the outer metal surfaces of the pistol was painted orange, not just the tip. Is there something wrong with that? it is a tool, just like your car, if you wanted an orange car, would that be ok? Then why isnt an orange gun ok? Maybe we should lock you up in the loonie bin for driving an orange car?

So, you are saying that this man, who accosted no-one, said nothing at all innapropriate to anyone, showed no aggression to anyone, and did NOTHING AT ALL ILLEGAL or IMMORAL..... Is now the same as someone like the pervert JJ wrote about???

You both need help from professionals if you actually think that way......

Why did you call the man in the story a Pervert... There is nothing in the story that states that he is a sexual deviant.. He is just a lonely old guy that wants someone to talk to, and your daughter happens by everyday...

But Thanx for proving the point..
You ASSUMED he was a Pervert..
Just like others will assume the OP is up to something no good..
Neither did anything wrong, but based on the facts presented, the common assumptions would indicate (as the Travis Tritt song says) Well, I smell T-R-O-U-B-L-E...

To quote the Italian poet; "Vi prego di fare questo molto chiaro. Kwikrnu, sei un sacco douche."

The OP was well within his rights to do what he did. No argument from me there. However, the MSM has him on the radar, and are using words like "gunman".

Stunts such as this one in the nature area, and parading in front of the cop shop, only fortify the anti’s case for a total gun ban.

Kwikrun, please, if you wish to be a caped crusader, find another cause. I do not welcome your antics.

Your support of this rocket scientist shows that you have no clue about anything and when I need a lecture on scripture I will go to someone that knows something about it not an idiot.

So now I am an idiot for actually believing and supporting our Constitutional rights. Fine, so be it.

As for the scripture lecture, I spoke the truth, you cannot make the Bible say whatever you want it to by picking a single verse out and applying it to whatever you want. It (the verse) is part of a paragraph, that is part of a letter to a group of people (and now teaches us all). You CANNOT look at it all by itself and say truthfully that it applies in a situation without taking the ENTIRE letter/chapter/book into consideration. If you dont know this, then you have just proven who the idiot is, and it isn't me..............

Why did you call the man in the story a Pervert... There is nothing in the story that states that he is a sexual deviant.. He is just a lonely old guy that wants someone to talk to, and your daughter happens by everyday...

Neither did anything wrong, but based on the facts presented, the common assumptions would indicate (as the Travis Tritt song says) Well, I smell T-R-O-U-B-L-E...

You are correct, I did assume.

Nearly EVERYONE in this thread that has attacked the man for doing what he did. They assumed his intentions, his reasoning, his motives.............

I say again, just because you dont like his tactics or whatever you want to call it....... What he did is legal and he has the right to do it. If you wont fight for his right to do something 100% legal, then how do we know you will fight for your rights when they come to take away your firearms?????

BTW, Travis Tritt is the best :biggrin: Even if it was done first by Elvis.

Well, that's three of us who now need help from "professionals", according to A45. :wacko:

Maybe we can get a package deal somewhere. :sarcastic:

You sir are stirring the pot

Now look what you made me do, attack you on a public forum.... :haha:

I said assault styled weapon...not assault weapon...you sir are the one drawing assumptions not me.

No clothes don't make the man. I believe he did what he did because he truly needed the attention.

PS I wore BDU's for dang near 21 years.

I don't have to agree with you and I don't. You don't have to agree with me and I should hope that you would not until you've listened to all the side of the story.

There are three sides to every story

The Plaintiff's

The Defendant's

and The Police report.

Please before you defend someone blindly make sure you are correct before you proceed. The irrepairable damage lies in the adverse manner the news agencies reported this. There is no denying that one. You visuon is jaded but if you read everything carefully you will see that I dod support his legal right to do what he did but I do not support his choices. I am very careful about not being in the same class as people like him.

You obviously didnt look at the pictures he posted, All of the outer metal surfaces of the pistol was painted orange, not just the tip. Is there something wrong with that? it is a tool, just like your car, if you wanted an orange car, would that be ok? Then why isnt an orange gun ok? Maybe we should lock you up in the loonie bin for driving an orange car?

Evidently you didn't look at all the related pictures. The gun he carried in the park only had the tip painted orange. After the incident in the park and his posting all over the Internet about it he painted the rest of the gun orange. The entire gun being orange is a lot different than just the tip. A tip being orange implies a toy gun where a completely orange gun is just like many oters including the "Hello Kitty" guns that are popular with some people.

… using Scripture 100% out of context... you cannot make the Bible say whatever you want it to by picking a single verse out and applying it to whatever you want.

Axe, would you care to offer a more hermeneutically correct analysis of the scripture referenced, and provide us all with the correct context from which the Apostle Paul was speaking?

If not, I would take issue with your indictment and contend that the meaning of this scripture reference IS completely within context here. If you would care to hear my basis for that claim, I’ll be glad to share from scripture how what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 10 is completely relevant to the discussion being had in this thread.

… you have no clue what the Bible is for or what it means.

Friend, if the Bible isn’t for giving insight on how to live well—what then is it for?!

I believe literally in the Scripture of the Old and New Testament as inspired by God, inerrant in the original writings, and of supreme and final authority in matters of both faith and life.

Axe, would you care to offer a more hermeneutically correct analysis of the scripture referenced, and provide us all with the correct context from which the Apostle Paul was speaking?

If not, I would take issue with your indictment and contend that the meaning of this scripture reference IS completely within context here. If you would care to hear my basis for that claim, I’ll be glad to share from scripture how what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 10 is completely relevant to the discussion being had in this thread.

Friend, if the Bible isn’t for giving insight on how to live well—what then is it for?!

I believe literally in the Scripture of the Old and New Testament as inspired by God, inerrant in the original writings, and of supreme and final authority in matters of both faith and life.

Sure thing, I will pm you what Paul was talking about. But I will state publicly now, that it has absolutely NOTHING to do with Constitutional rights.

OP changed the color scheme from just the orange tip to all metal surfaces except the tip after receiving criticism from numerous list members.

gf

I really like JJflash's analogy with the old man on the porch, perhaps putting him standing on the side of the road near a school bus stop would be even more scary, but still ... HE WOULD BE TOTALLY WITHIN HIS "RIGHTS" and based on the arguments here, you would have to support him and LEO "checking him out" would be totally innappropriate.

Consuming alcohol while standing on the side of the road is unlawful in many areas. This would be cause for the questionable person to be detained and possibly arrested by the police.

gf

... I will state publicly now, that it has absolutely NOTHING to do with Constitutional rights.

Paul was speaking to believers who were either Jewish or were so entrenched in the Jewish culture that they were being inundated by Jewish custom and religious traditions. Basically the Jew was bound by a great many rules—bound to the law in just about every aspect of life. Paul spent much of his ministry speaking about the freedom we have in Christ—freedom not only from sin and death—but, from the law as well. Christ ushered in grace and salvation free of performance or expectation. So, the believer in Christ was discovering freedoms and liberties they had NEVER known prior to Christ!

To the Jewish convert though, this new freedom in Christ was difficult to accept. Jews had spent the better part of centuries codifying the law and living by a very rigid system of rules. The rules served to justify an individual—a perversion of the original intent of the law—and gave a practitioner a sense of self-righteousness based on performance. Faith had been almost completely replaced by blindly following rules, by religion. But, as Isaiah had already proclaimed, “… all our righteous acts are like filthy rags!” Isaiah 64:4 (niv)

Nonetheless, many of the Jewish converts began insisting that believers were not justified by faith alone—that they too needed to follow the prescripts of the law. One big argument was over circumcision. It was such a big stink in the early church, a frustrated Paul finally proclaimed, “… as for those agitators, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves!” Gal.5:12 (niv)

And, in Gal.5:1 (msg), Paul states, “Christ has set us free to live a free life. So take your stand! Never again let anyone put a harness of slavery on you.”

So, in 1Cor.10, we find Paul, once again explaining that the law can in no way justify a person before GOD. No matter how good you live your life, one can never live well enough to earn their way into GOD’s good graces! It’s only through the perfect life of JESUS that one discovers forgiveness of sins and restoration of fellowship with a HOLY GOD.

So what was happening in 1Cor.10? There were some who were eating meats that had been used in idol sacrifice. These believers in no way were worshipping the idols—simply, eating meats that had been previously used as sacrifices to idols. To the Jew, this was an act of callous disregard to the law. They were going crazy over this! Paul spoke very clearly in saying, “… use common sense—eat anything sold at the butcher shop, for instance; you don’t have to run an idolatry test on every item. The earth after all, is GOD’s, and everything in it. That everything certainly includes the leg of lamb in the butcher shop.” 1Cor.10:25-28 (msg)

BUT, at the same time, Paul clarified by explaining, “I assume I’m addressing believers now who are mature. Looking at it through the scope of freedom, one could say, anything goes! Because of GOD’s immense generosity and grace, we can do anything! But, the point is not to just get by. We want to live well; our foremost efforts should be to help others live well.” 1Cor.10:15 & 23-24 (msg)

To the believer in Christ, “… everything is permissible—but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible—but not everything is constructive.” 1Cor.10:23 (niv)

Paul was saying, you can eat meat. You can drink wine. You can go to dances. But, there might be occasions when doing so might not be constructive or beneficial. One quick example: all things in moderation means I can drink a beer or two and have a clear conscience—it’s totally permissible. But, what if I invite a buddy over who has been an alcoholic for years, clean for a month? Is my expression of freedom by drinking a beer or two any less permissible? Not at all, I am still free to drink and can do so with a clear conscience. BUT, that exercise of my freedom may not be beneficial for my buddy who is addicted to alcohol! I’m totally within my rights to do so—may even want to do so just to exercise my freedom—but, it might not be constructive in the long run for my friend or his desire to abstain from something that has so clearly been destructive in his life. Does that make sense?

The same is true in the discussion going on in this thread. No one is saying kwik doesn’t have the right to carry his gun. They are simply questioning whether it was the most constructive exercise of his freedom. If his desire is to educate the public—he accomplished his goal—BUT, all the media coverage of the incident I saw left a bad taste in my mouth (AND I LOVE GUNS)!

His methods are what are in question. NOT his 1st or 2nd Amendment rights to do what he did. Just the methods. There were probably better ways to make a statement that would have both educated and persuaded others of the rightness of his cause.

I still feel GregAllen's counsel was pretty good advice…

... exercise common sense and good judgment while enjoying your liberties.

Feedback from Franklin

Have never posted here, but thought that I'd chime in for a little local feedback. I found this forum when searching for information about this event, since I live in Franklin Tennessee and this has sparked some discussion.

First, a little background. I'm a strong 2nd Amendment supporter, and have been a lifelong firearms owner. I wholeheartedly believe that anybody of sound mind and without a serious criminal background should be able to carry a concealed weapon anywhere that they see fit, with few exceptions (schools, etc). I choose not to carry a concealed weapon, but believe that I should have the right to do so if I should so choose.

Most of my friends and neighbors believe the same, to one extent or another. Most of my friends and neighbors are also not nearly as passionate about gun rights as any person on this discussion board - nor are the majority of people in the US. The folks here on this discussion forum are the people that care enough to discuss, debate, and think about gun ownership and gun rights on a day to day basis. You're probably friends with people that have the same or similar interests. That's all well and good, but frankly your desire to discuss and debate the nuances of this issue (whether the gun was a pistol or an assault rifle; whether painting the tip orange was a good idea or not; etc etc etc) far exceed the level of discourse that is taking on a local, dining room level in Franklin.

What *is* occurring is this: people locally (who otherwise are generally supportive of gun rights) are saying things like "did you hear about the guy who was walking around downtown with an assault rifle? What on earth was he thinking?" I've explained that it was actually a pistol, and that he was within his rights, and the general response that I get back is "I don't really see the difference, I don't want people walking around our downtown with AK-47's. If the law now allows this to take place, then we need to get the law changed."

You can call these people misinformed (and don't try and blame the media, even though they did get most of the details of the story wrong - most of this has come about because this guy was seen by a lot of people, and a number of those people spoke to their friends and neighbors and so on...), you can call them whatever you want. They represent your average, conservative resident of Franklin, and they are generally rather vocal and educated, and don't have any problem emailing or calling their elected representatives when they see something that upsets them taking place.

I understand that this individual was well within his rights, and did nothing illegal. He has made a point, both to law enforcement and, more importantly, to the general public in my community. Kudos - he won the tactical battle, but did amazing strategic damage to the cause in the greater war.

There is sometimes a rather wide gulf between what one CAN do, and what one SHOULD do. In between those two lies judgement, and in this case it looks as if poor judgement is the consensus of the dispassionate general public.

Have never posted here, but thought that I'd chime in for a little local feedback. I found this forum when searching for information about this event, since I live in Franklin Tennessee and this has sparked some discussion.

First, a little background. I'm a strong 2nd Amendment supporter, and have been a lifelong firearms owner. I wholeheartedly believe that anybody of sound mind and without a serious criminal background should be able to carry a concealed weapon anywhere that they see fit, with few exceptions (schools, etc). I choose not to carry a concealed weapon, but believe that I should have the right to do so if I should so choose.

Most of my friends and neighbors believe the same, to one extent or another. Most of my friends and neighbors are also not nearly as passionate about gun rights as any person on this discussion board - nor are the majority of people in the US. The folks here on this discussion forum are the people that care enough to discuss, debate, and think about gun ownership and gun rights on a day to day basis. You're probably friends with people that have the same or similar interests. That's all well and good, but frankly your desire to discuss and debate the nuances of this issue (whether the gun was a pistol or an assault rifle; whether painting the tip orange was a good idea or not; etc etc etc) far exceed the level of discourse that is taking on a local, dining room level in Franklin.

What *is* occurring is this: people locally (who otherwise are generally supportive of gun rights) are saying things like "did you hear about the guy who was walking around downtown with an assault rifle? What on earth was he thinking?" I've explained that it was actually a pistol, and that he was within his rights, and the general response that I get back is "I don't really see the difference, I don't want people walking around our downtown with AK-47's. If the law now allows this to take place, then we need to get the law changed."

You can call these people misinformed (and don't try and blame the media, even though they did get most of the details of the story wrong - most of this has come about because this guy was seen by a lot of people, and a number of those people spoke to their friends and neighbors and so on...), you can call them whatever you want. They represent your average, conservative resident of Franklin, and they are generally rather vocal and educated, and don't have any problem emailing or calling their elected representatives when they see something that upsets them taking place.

I understand that this individual was well within his rights, and did nothing illegal. He has made a point, both to law enforcement and, more importantly, to the general public in my community. Kudos - he won the tactical battle, but did amazing strategic damage to the cause in the greater war.

There is sometimes a rather wide gulf between what one CAN do, and what one SHOULD do. In between those two lies judgement, and in this case it looks as if poor judgement is the consensus of the dispassionate general public.

Thanks for providing your insight. Welcome to the board! I'm sure there are many more like you out there who have found this discussion, many of which who are watching what goes on and not commenting.

Thanks again for your contribution. Please let us know if there are any new developments.

gf

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back