NRA Members???

" "The NRA supported The Federal Firearms Act of 1938, which regulates interstate and foreign commerce in firearms and pistol or revolver ammunition..." (P. 22)

Foremost: During the 2008 presidential campaign, the NRA spent $10 million in opposition of the election of then Senator Barack Obama. Did it work? No, but my money was well spent if it went no further than here.

Were mistakes made in the 30's? Likely. How about the late 60's? Perhaps..
We should also remember that Colt, Smith $ Wesson etc. supported the 1968 Gun Control Act

The NRA went through a fundamental shift in the 70's. Unarguably, the NRA was a hunter, shooting sports organization prior to that. Hence, their focus was protecting the majority of it's membership base. The NRA shifted to a more 2A focused organization and made attempts to weaken these existing control acts.

With leadership change of the late 70's, the NRA culture was shifting. With a goal to weaken the Gun Control Act of 1968, Knox's NRA successfully lobbied congress to pass the McClure-Volker firearms decontrol bill of 1986 and worked to reduce the powers of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF)

Is today's NRA my grandfathers NRA? No, it's not.

That's why I am a Lifetime supporter. Even with less than 100% hard line stance, we are far better off today than we would of been without the NRA

My closing comments are I am not bitter with those who hold the NRA accountable for their actions up to 80+ years ago. That is what makes our country so unique. We have different views, opinions, and those are respected. It is also acceptable for those to sit this one out on the sidelines, while supporting other organizations perhaps, but otherwise enjoying the benefits of NRA litigation as it pertains to EVERYONES 2A rights.

Really not much different than typical society today that voted for this current administration; sit it out, don't pay into the system, wait on a handout.

Here is an offer- I will pay a one year membership (gift) for anyone in this thread (up to this post) who has pointed out the flaws of the NRA, but may want to give them another try. First to PM me gets the gift.

Let me help

-178S

Foremost: During the 2008 presidential campaign, the NRA spent $10 million in opposition of the election of then Senator Barack Obama. Did it work? No, but my money was well spent if it went no further than here.

Were mistakes made in the 30's? Likely. How about the late 60's? Perhaps..
We should also remember that Colt, Smith $ Wesson etc. supported the 1968 Gun Control Act

The NRA went through a fundamental shift in the 70's. Unarguably, the NRA was a hunter, shooting sports organization prior to that. Hence, their focus was protecting the majority of it's membership base. The NRA shifted to a more 2A focused organization and made attempts to weaken these existing control acts.

With leadership change of the late 70's, the NRA culture was shifting. With a goal to weaken the Gun Control Act of 1968, Knox's NRA successfully lobbied congress to pass the McClure-Volker firearms decontrol bill of 1986 and worked to reduce the powers of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF)

That's why I am a Lifetime supporter. Even with less than 100% hard line stance, we are far better off today than we would of been without the NRA

My closing comments are I am not bitter with those who hold the NRA accountable for their actions up to 80+ years ago. That is what makes our country so unique. We have different views, opinions, and those are respected. It is also acceptable for those to sit this one out on the sidelines, while supporting other organizations perhaps, but otherwise enjoying the benefits of NRA litigation as it pertains to EVERYONES 2A rights.

Really not much different than typical society today that voted for this current administration; sit it out, don't pay into the system, wait on a handout.

Here is an offer- I will pay a one year membership (gift) for anyone in this thread (up to this post) who has pointed out the flaws of the NRA, but may want to give them another try. First to PM me gets the gift.

Let me help

-178S

Great post. I am sure it will receive the usual guff from the Anti NRA folks.

One78S - I guess if I PMed you for the freebie, you'd see right through that, huh? Just sayin' ...

Thanks for the enlightening post, brother. Much appreciated.

2A

Please cite an example or five of those attempts in the '70s. You do realize that you're claiming they supported the GCA of '68, which BTW, is an almost verbatim rip-off of Hitler's 1938 Nazi Weapons Law (minor detail though, right?), but you're saying the '68 N R A supported that piece of Nazi trash, but as few as 12 years hence, completely turned around and became the staunch 2nd Amendment-focused .org you claim they are today? That's an amazing turnaround considering their self-proclaimed status as a gun control supporting .org since its inception.

I know you guys are long on rhetoric and short on links, but I prefer to post links to my claims without having to be asked, so I'll post this one again to substantiate that last claim. Coincidentally, the quoted "self-proclaimed" statement was made in 1968, just two years before this remarkable transformation you claim they subsequently embarked upon in the '70s:

America's largest gun control organization

On Jan. 16, 1968, in an address to the New York State University law school in Buffalo, Sen. Robert Kennedy, D-N.Y., stated: "I think it is a terrible indictment of the National Rifle Association that they haven’t supported any legislation to try and control the misuse of rifles and pistols in this country."

NRA Executive Vice President Franklin L. Orth took great umbrage at this remark in the October 1968 issue of the NRA’s magazine, The American Rifleman, terming Sen. Kennedy’s accusation "a great smear of a great American organization." Mr. Orth then went on to point out, "The National Rifle Association has been in support of workable, enforceable gun control legislation since its very inception in 1871."

And I took Etkini's lead and Link Removed so you can confirm the authenticity of that quote for yourself. I don't ask you to take my word(s) for anything, but I do expect you to take the N R A's word(s) for their own history. And if you don't, I fail to see how you can expect anyone to consider what you say about their history as credible. And speaking of credibility.....

Well, this is interesting. Since I seem to be the only one around here who actually researches and documents claims made in my posts before I hit the "Post Reply" button, I went looking for this McClure-Volker act you reference above, and one of the first links went straight to Wikipedia, where I found, in part, the following on the N R A page of Wiki, not the McClure-Volker page:

With a goal to weaken the Gun Control Act of 1968, Knox's NRA successfully lobbied congress to pass the McClure-Volker firearms decontrol bill of 1986 and worked to reduce the powers of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).

So how much more of "your" post was simply lifted from other sources? How do I verify the credibility of sources that you lift and then present as your own words?

This is the level of "debate" these N R A sycophants are capable of putting forth. Chances are, the N R A itself is the source of most of the post I started replying to. Not an original thought in the head of this poster, just blind loyalty to an organization that has filled his head with so much BS for his entire life as a gun enthusiast that he can no longer think, or even speak, for himself.

I rest my case. I won't respond to any N R A-sourced propaganda. I'll debate anyone on the merits of the issues being discussed, but I'll not "debate" a ghost that I can't challenge directly, nor will I "debate" another poster who is unequivocally exposed now as an intellectually lazy plagiarist.

Let me help

-178S

Anyone considering taking him up on this offer would be justified in wondering if it was offered with the same level of integrity as the post it is contained in.

Blues

Please cite an example or five of those attempts in the '70s. You do realize that you're claiming they supported the GCA of '68, which BTW, is an almost verbatim rip-off of Hitler's 1938 Nazi Weapons Law (minor detail though, right?), but you're saying the '68 N R A supported that piece of Nazi trash, but as few as 12 years hence, completely turned around and became the staunch 2nd Amendment-focused .org you claim they are today? That's an amazing turnaround considering their self-proclaimed status as a gun control supporting .org since its inception.

I know you guys are long on rhetoric and short on links, but I prefer to post links to my claims without having to be asked, so I'll post this one again to substantiate that last claim. Coincidentally, the quoted "self-proclaimed" statement was made in 1968, just two years before this remarkable transformation you claim they subsequently embarked upon in the '70s:

And I took Etkini's lead and Link Removed so you can confirm the authenticity of that quote for yourself. I don't ask you to take my word(s) for anything, but I do expect you to take the N R A's word(s) for their own history. And if you don't, I fail to see how you can expect anyone to consider what you say about their history as credible. And speaking of credibility.....

Well, this is interesting. Since I seem to be the only one around here who actually researches and documents claims made in my posts before I hit the "Post Reply" button, I went looking for this McClure-Volker act you reference above, and one of the first links went straight to Wikipedia, where I found, in part, the following on the N R A page of Wiki, not the McClure-Volker page:

So how much more of "your" post was simply lifted from other sources? How do I verify the credibility of sources that you lift and then present as your own words?

This is the level of "debate" these N R A sycophants are capable of putting forth. Chances are, the N R A itself is the source of most of the post I started replying to. Not an original thought in the head of this poster, just blind loyalty to an organization that has filled his head with so much BS for his entire life as a gun enthusiast that he can no longer think, or even speak, for himself.

I rest my case. I won't respond to any N R A-sourced propaganda. I'll debate anyone on the merits of the issues being discussed, but I'll not "debate" a ghost that I can't challenge directly, nor will I "debate" another poster who is unequivocally exposed now as an intellectually lazy plagiarist.

Anyone considering taking him up on this offer would be justified in wondering if it was offered with the same level of integrity as the post it is contained in.

Blues

So I take it you are not interested in a free NRA membership?

Since you have resorted to a personal attack relative to my post, there is really not much I can help you with.

Good luck to you and yours

-178S

So, if I read the OP correctly, since I do not belong to the NRA I should not be allowed to go to a gun show? Should I be able to run for Congress instead of allowing someone else to fight my battles for me? How about those NRA members who believe they are the end all shove that attitude up your posterior. Spending $35 on stamps and stationary is just as effective for all 80 million gun owners, more so as our elected officials would have HAND WRITTEN affirmation of our values for how our government should go. But hey, I'm just an ass hat who believes in more than just gun rights.

So I take it you would are not interested in a free NRA membership?

Since you have resorted to a personal attack relative to my post, there is really not much I can help you with.

Good luck to you and yours

-178S

So not even so much as an "Oops, you're right, I should've quoted Wiki instead of pretending I wrote it?" Wow. Is your commitment to supporting and defending the 2nd Amendment commensurate with your commitment to posting with integrity? As committed to the gun control organization, the N R A, as you apparently are, I have to surmise that you are precisely so committed.

Blues

So, if I read the OP correctly, since I do not belong to the NRA I should not be allowed to go to a gun show? Should I be able to run for Congress instead of allowing someone else to fight my battles for me? How about those NRA members who believe they are the end all shove that attitude up your posterior. Spending $35 on stamps and stationary is just as effective for all 80 million gun owners, more so as our elected officials would have HAND WRITTEN affirmation of our values for how our government should go. But hey, I'm just an ass hat who believes in more than just gun rights.

Daniel, your post is quite justified, given my original post. In post 21 I apologized for the way I tried to make my original point -

"Thank you, gentlemen for your responses. In particular -

To Icemanii and Trubeit - I definitely let my emotions get the best of me that day, and didn't do my "beloved NRA" much good. Point well made and well taken, thanks.

To BluesStringer and UATKP - I can tell your intellects are likely somewhere around ten times what mine is, and I mean that. Your points about the NRA being something other than a pro-gun rights organization should inspire some of us to investigate the facts behind your statements more closely, and I for one will be doing so.

To UKCatFan012 - although your singing was a little flat, it was nevertheless a perfect reference. You don't know what you got til it's gone (sometimes, anyway).

Thanks everybody."

I'm a bit surprised this thread is still alive. It does seem as if everybody has had the chance to express their viewpoints, and it occurs to me that your signature is perfect - "My way is not better, it is just mine, your way is not better, it is just yours"

And since I clearly adore the sound of my own voice, let me close with something I wrote once while pondering the vastly different personalities among our ranks (as humans, not forum members) as it applies to gun rights debates -

"One day it will be shown beyond debate that all people are of one accord, that we are, as God's children, all desirous of liberty, security, truth. On that day most of us will be joyous and relieved, and some horrified."

Some interesting reading for all of you.....

1st link is from the Washington Post and is from a few years ago.....

Link Removed

2nd is a transcript which Neil Knox testifies in Congress.....

http://www.firearmscoalition.org/in...-batf-senate-oversight-hearings&catid=54:fopa

7,622 words in the WaPo article, 33,410 in the hearing transcripts, for a grand total of 41,032 words suggested for reading with no other point made than that it might be "interesting" for "all" of us to read.

I'll guarantee you that you don't want me going through those 33,410 words of Knox's congressional testimony, because I have no doubt at all that there's going to be some nuggets of gun-control-speak that I will find and use to prove my already well-researched and documented claims about the N R A.

I'm sorry, but if you have a point to make from either of those links that you'd like to discuss, please do cite and quote them, and make comment on what you think the quotes demonstrate. But c'mon, a 41,000 word reading assignment? To what end? What's the point?

Blues

My apologizes for not making a point. I was a bit rushed when I did it. I assumed that the table of context would lead to reading Knox's testimony as he was kind of the current subject of the thread.
If you read the Washington Post article(which was short) the reporter discusses the issues that lead to Harlan Carter's rise and the new era of the NRA along with Neal Knox who according to the article did quite abit in regards to the 2A as a lobbyist. They knew that the NRA sided too much with the government in regards to the 2A and they(Carter & Knox) decided that they were going to change the way the NRA functioned. The reporter also made note that there was a level of increases and decreases in memberships.
I agree that there was a time that the NRA was involved with gun control both in the thirties and late sixties. Those were different times. The 68 GCA is 45 years old. Yes the NRA allowed things to happen that shouldn't have but they were weak at that time and let it happen. Plus they were dealing with the effects of three high level assinations one of which the rifle was ordered from an ad in the "American Rifleman". That was 45 years ago. That is almost a generation behind us and those who shaped the gun control act of the thirties are no longer even alive. If we want to throw stones at organizations there are plenty of them out there that have changed their stances in 45 years... Shall we chastise the "Southern Democrat" for their beliefs into the 60's? If I remember correctly there were plenty of "Southern Democrats" that felt segregation was the right thing.

The second link long as it may be the first twenty pages is what we should be looking at. Knox really did have a h***n for the BATF. He jumped into the fray with that in mind. He proves it with his testimony to Congress. He called the BATF on the carpet for their reckless law enforcement. He knew when they drafted the McClure-Volkmer act he would draw the ire of the BATF. The BATF has never changed and when Congress decided they should be filtered into the FBI for budgetary reasons they went on some wild raid in Waco to justify their existence. They should have been immediately disbanned after that fiasco.
If there is any governmental agency we should be worried about it is them. How many high ranking BATF officers have resigned amid charges of gross violations of the very laws they enforce.

There is some really interesting reading in the rest of the testimony though. Again I regret being so hasty in my post.

My apologizes for not making a point. I was a bit rushed when I did it. I assumed that the table of context would lead to reading Knox's testimony as he was kind of the current subject of the thread.

No biggie. I did read some of his opening statement, but I'm pretty sure the whole transcript that you linked to included more of him during the Q&A period, and unless I was addressing a specific quote or analysis of what he had to say, I wasn't about to delve into it.

If you read the Washington Post article(which was short)....

Short? It's 7,600 words! Your link went to Page 5, which was 10 times the number of words than on the other four pages, which were 500 ea. compared to 5,500 on Page 5 (rounded off). I wouldn't have even figured it out except I wanted to know when it was written, and there wasn't a date at the top of the page you linked to, so I scrolled to the bottom (seeing how long Page 5 was in the process) and noticed that not only was there not a date at the bottom of the page either, there was a page-turner button with four other pages listed. At that point I was curious how long the whole thing was, so I copied and pasted the text into Word and it counts them automatically. It's 16 pages long with standard, default margins and 11 point type! (If anyone's interested, the congressional testimony link was 72 pages with the same setup.)

I'm really not normally a word-counter, and under some circumstances both of those links might be something I'd be interested in going through, but for now I'll just reply to some of the rest of your synopsis of it below.

.....the reporter discusses the issues that lead to Harlan Carter's rise and the new era of the NRA along with Neal Knox who according to the article did quite abit in regards to the 2A as a lobbyist. They knew that the NRA sided too much with the government in regards to the 2A and they(Carter & Knox) decided that they were going to change the way the NRA functioned. The reporter also made note that there was a level of increases and decreases in memberships.
I agree that there was a time that the NRA was involved with gun control both in the thirties and late sixties. Those were different times. The 68 GCA is 45 years old. Yes the NRA allowed things to happen that shouldn't have but they were weak at that time and let it happen. Plus they were dealing with the effects of three high level assinations one of which the rifle was ordered from an ad in the "American Rifleman". That was 45 years ago. That is almost a generation behind us and those who shaped the gun control act of the thirties are no longer even alive. If we want to throw stones at organizations there are plenty of them out there that have changed their stances in 45 years... Shall we chastise the "Southern Democrat" for their beliefs into the 60's? If I remember correctly there were plenty of "Southern Democrats" that felt segregation was the right thing.

Let me take the last issue/question first, and that answer is not only yes, but HELL YES! The Dems' abysmal racist record is every bit as ripe a target in exposing their roots and history as exposing that Planned Parenthood was founded by a genocidal, rabid racist/eugenicist name Margaret Sanger as a form of reducing births of blacks and mental/physical defectives. The racist history of the Dems can be just as easily used to explain their modern positions as Planned Parenthood's most prestigious award, The Margaret Sanger Award, can be legitimately used to show the impunity with which they continue to flaunt their racist history. The only difference between what Hitler did to millions of Jews and what Sanger hoped to "accomplish" with Planned Parenthood is that Hitler had more power and bigger ovens. Otherwise, they were ideological contemporaries, as were they both ideological contemporaries of the Dixiecrats, and just as Planned Parenthood shows without a doubt that its racism has traveled with it through time, just look at who is hurt the worst by Democrat, progressive policy being consistently implemented; blacks. The overwhelming majority of cities that have been Dem-controlled for generations, Detroit, Chicago, DC and on and on, blacks suffer the highest unemployment, the highest single-parent households, the highest per-capita percentage of public assisstance, high alcohol and drug abuse, and as a result of that, high percentages of incarcerated young working-aged men, many of whom are also fathers.

In short, of course using the Dems' racist history to demonstrate how it relates to current events is fair game. Likewise with the N R A. And on that issue, you say they've changed so much since the '70s, but just a few days ago I posted a thread quoting current President David Keene telling a bunch of leftists.....
41:00 - 42:00 - Legitimate that machine guns be banned as they have been. This in answer to a question about the "Slide Fire Stock," a mechanical device that has been approved by BATFE since June of 2010 and remains legal to this day, and towards the end of Keene's answer he says they should get more scrutiny from BATFE if they effectively convert from semi to full-auto, which they don't, but hey, banning machine guns was legitimate, so who cares, right?

There's more in the thread, including a link to the video I was talking about, and that video was shot and is current as of Jan. 31, 2013, so whatever WaPo describes as some major change in resistance to government-imposed gun control on the part of the N R A back in 2000 doesn't really carry any weight with me.

The day before Keene made his appearance, LaPierre was shredded by Leahy (video at bottom of page) during a Senate Q&A session in a major flip-flop on background checks. LaPierre admitted to being four-square in favor of background checks for every sale or transfer of guns, meaning private sales at gun shows etc., by saying, "No loopholes for anyone, anywhere" back in '99, but then completely reversed that stance just a few seconds later, not because the checks are an infringement on the 2nd Amendment, but because the system the N R A itself helped to create isn't working!

There are greater or lesser examples of the current N R A being either dishonest in what they actually have accomplished, or supporting legislation that is counter to the original intent of the 2nd Amendment. Maybe they get some media coverage, maybe they don't, but just because it doesn't get splashed across your computer screen without having to go looking for it, doesn't mean it's not happening on a regular basis. I stopped paying dues back about the time that that WaPo article was first released (2000), and that was because of being made aware of some of the things I've tried to make y'all aware of. Some examples were old, some were current to that time, just like some are current to today now. They have been as consistent in supporting gun control as the sun rising in the East and setting in the West day in, and day out.

The second link long as it may be the first twenty pages is what we should be looking at. Knox really did have a h***n for the BATF. He jumped into the fray with that in mind. He proves it with his testimony to Congress. He called the BATF on the carpet for their reckless law enforcement. He knew when they drafted the McClure-Volkmer act he would draw the ire of the BATF. The BATF has never changed and when Congress decided they should be filtered into the FBI for budgetary reasons they went on some wild raid in Waco to justify their existence. They should have been immediately disbanned after that fiasco.
If there is any governmental agency we should be worried about it is them. How many high ranking BATF officers have resigned amid charges of gross violations of the very laws they enforce.

Well, before I get as long as Page 5 of that WaPo link, let me say this about that. In this very thread, all the way back on Page 1, I posted about the N R A's incestuous relationship with BATFE. I first linked to the same JPFO article, "With Friends Like The NRA..." that I['ve linked several times in hopes that most of you would actually read it, but see little evidence that many of you have. So where the N R A's and BATFE's relationship is concerned, I'm just going to paste in four paragraphs from it in reply to your above claim that they have some adversarial relationship, because, clearly, it's more like co-dependent heroin addicts. But anyway:

In 1968, the NRA "signed off" on Thomas Dodd's Nazi-inspired Gun Control Act, a story of deceit and treachery we've told here before - as covered in the book "Gateway to Tyranny". (JPFO discovered this nasty connection, and that Dodd requested a translation of Hitler's gun laws from the Library of Congress.) And never forget how the NRA actually helped resurrect the Brady Bill (the whole story is told at Link Removed ) -- under which you must now beg for and receive the government's permission to buy a gun -- after it was considered to be as dead as a doornail in Congress.

The very existence of the BATFE, and therefore everything it does, violates the Second Amendment, and is therefore illegal. And yet, at http://jpfo.org/pdf/nraletter.pdf you can see for yourself, in the NRA's own words, how and why it defends the existence of this criminal gang, and what the more highly principled Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership, has to say about that. Vin Suprynowicz, columnist and assistant editorial page editor at the Las Vegas Review Journal simply calls the NRA "the world's oldest and largest gun control organization".

While it often calls publically for BATFE reforms (that turn out to be empty rhetoric because the agency's value as an NRA fundraising device must never be compromised), the NRA has never called for -- and will never call for -- abolition of this unconstitutional agency, repeal of the tangled mass of unconstitutional laws it enforces, or even such badly-needed interim reforms as standardized, published firearms testing procedures, and fully recorded tests, accessible to public review, crucial issues over which perfectly innocent, law- abiding Americans are presently wasting huge chunks of their lives in prison.

Read that letter again: http://jpfo.org/pdf/nraletter.pdf and see the terrible truth. The NRA doesn't care at all about the Second Amendment, the Constitution, the rights and safety of its members, or even the individuals rotting in jail thanks to NRA indifference and inaction. All the NRA cares about is membership money, tax-free contributions, expensive advertising in its magazines from cowardly, compromising corporations (as opposed to smaller gunmakers who truly believe in the Second Amendment), benefits packages and "golden parachutes" for its executives, and its obscene relationship with the BATFE.

(Emphasis mine)

I can't make anybody read what I post or follow the links I provide or interpret what they read the same way I do. But I can fully explain my positions, and provide substantive material to explain how and why I adopted them. The above citation covers letters and analysis from '02 to '06. Hardly ancient history. The links to the letter they reference is still good. I suggest anyone who wants to know the truth about where your money goes when you send it to the N R A reads it.

BTW, since both Etkini and I provided links to auctions of vintage issues of The American Rifleman that contain a lot of documentation of their gun control history, but neither of us had the copies to scan and prove the veracity of the quotes we cited, I bought both of those issues earlier tonight, and should be able to prove my (our) assertions by Saturday sometime. Thank me. I'm welcome.

Blues

Some people don't like their scare tactics (albeit some of these folks have shut up since Obama got re-elected and did exactly what the NRA had been claiming all along he would do in a second term). Some don't like that they always seem to ask for money. Some don't like that they are a lobbying group. Some just don't like Wayne LaPierre (no, he is not French).

Personally I am a NRA member, they are not perfect and sometimes less than that but they do help our cause in general.

Maybe the NRA should offer a free one year membership to new members as a way to get the membership level up to that number. During that year, the NRA would have a greater audience to educate on the current efforts by liberals to curb our 2nd Amendment rights. After the free first year, then they could charge the membership fee. If you need higher numbers, then think outside the box...our opponents are trying everything they can after Sandy Hook...why don't we and the NRA?

Some people don't like their scare tactics (albeit some of these folks have shut up since Obama got re-elected and did exactly what the NRA had been claiming all along he would do in a second term). Some don't like that they always seem to ask for money. Some don't like that they are a lobbying group. Some just don't like Wayne LaPierre (no, he is not French).

You left out that they themselves have bragged about being a gun control organization (which they indeed are) since the .org's inception (old). Also overlooked is that they have called for expansion of the instant check to include all sales, both dealer and private (gun show loophole BS), they've stated that the use of a perfectly legal accessory should result in felony convictions, and couldn't be convinced to contradict Lindsey Ghramnesty's claim that the 2nd Amendment wasn't originally penned to give The People a defense against their own government going tyrannical (all current within the last week).

If you want to keep paying your money to an organization who admits to have been selling your rights out since their inception, that's fine with me, but when I see people glossing over those legitimate criticisms just to get more uninformed people to spend their money unwisely, I'm going to tell potentially uninformed readers the truth. At least I will in this thread where the main question remains, "Why would anyone not join the N R A?"

Personally I am a NRA member, they are not perfect and sometimes less than that but they do help our cause in general.

Other than once in awhile being able to get through a Q&A without tripping over their tongues and revealing their truly half-hearted devotion to the 2nd Amendment, how do they help our cause? Did they help or oppose the efforts to get Heller to SCOTUS? What was their role in McDonald? What have they done other than talk in recent years? Or ever for that matter?

Bottom line, be an informed consumer. Don't accept their rhetoric when it is so easy to confirm that it doesn't match their actions, which in reality, are next to nothing. If you get your money's worth from their slick advertising and sometimes, though not often, moving speeches, fine, that's your decision. It's my decision to only support active opposition to 2nd Amendment encroachments though. I'm pretty good at coming up with rhetoric myself. I don't need to pay someone else to spew it, especially when the empirical evidence proves they don't even believe their own rhetoric themselves.

Blues

I've been a member of the NRA for as long as I have owned firearms. You can't beat some of the benefits they have (for example gun replacement for lost or stolen firearms). If you can only do one year it's $35... that's less money than taking the family out for a meal.

A couple of years ago the NRA convention came to my city. It was high time I had become a life member I thought and did. I tell everyone I know with a firearm about the great things the NRA does: safety classes, firearms training, general information, etc. I also talk up how great the people are that I have met. When I was at the convention, I was bowled over at the manners everyone had. We are a group of nice, hard-working, Americans who have one thing in common, preserving our Constitution and realizing the 2nd Amendment insures the rest.

If you have not joined, please do so... they are fighting for your rights too. The NRA has the clout to fight for you... the more people they have, the more clout they have.

I wonder how many of our Anti-NRA friends here are on this list.

That's an interesting question. See, I don't know anyone, including myself, who is "anti" N R A. I can only speak for myself, but I am anti-lying-about-the-N R A, which is the entire purpose for my participation in this thread. Denying at this point in this thread that the N R A has always been involved in gun control is a lie, so I keep refuting it because sycophants keep repeating it.

Oh, and for the purist who insist on links then complain about reading them, here is a link to the story. :tongue:

NRA's enemies list: Most of America - CNN.com

I insisted on nothing. I asked what the point of the post was, and the poster politely apologized and answered with comments on the links he gave that I could reply to, which I likewise politely did.

*ETA:
I guess I didn't get this at first. I thought you were referring to my exchange with Blackthorn, but I guess you're referring to my last exchange with you where you just lifted something off another site and presented it as your own words. That's called not giving attribution to your source, regardless of whether or not you link to it. Just to clarify.

But I'm sure you dove right into those 41,000 words without caring that there was no issue or quote to reply to, right? Riiiiiiiight.

It's kind of funny that your opening line refers to "this list," but you couldn't post the link to "this list" without first making a pointless smart-ass remark. Pot-stir much?

I have to ask though, why is it that the only sources used in the last two attempts to ostensibly make a point against my arguments is to link to the most anti-gun, leftist media sources available, that being WaPo and CNN? The Communist News Network link you left has a link right at the beginning of the piece to the list that you refer to. Why not just link directly to the Link Removed instead of going through a commie network to get to it? Hanging out at the CNN website these days, are you? Both CNN and you are behind the times anyway, as the list is already five months old, and I saw it and gave it the once-over back then. Meh. Words. Still looking for action. Got any of that to link to? Didn't think so.

So OK, let's address your implication that anyone who doesn't join the N R A might find themselves on that list. Here's the first line of their intro:

The following organizations have lent monetary, grassroots or some other type of direct support to anti-gun organizations.

Aside from you obviously missing that it is a list of organizations, not of individual "enemies," please do tell us what monetary, grassroots or other type of direct support you fantasize the handful of us individuals who have posted in this thread in opposition to your sycophancy, and who recognize the betraying truth about the N R A, have given to anti-gun organizations. I mean something more substantial than surmising that simply telling the truth about them and refusing to put our money towards a .org who, like it or not, owns that truth, and concluding that that alone is enough to call us "anti-gun" or "enemies" to the cause that you mistakenly believe the N R A is helping you with. Put your money where your insipid spew is.

Juxtaposing that prologue line against the list itself, I can tell you that there's at least one organization missing from it that definitely fits the criteria of lending monetary, grassroots and other direct support to anti-gun .orgs and legislation, and that organization is the N R A itself. Crack open some of the many links available to you in this and other threads, and you'll see, if you allow the truth to penetrate your state of being deceived, that I'm right about that. Or make more stupid, pointless posts, I don't care.

Next.

Blues

I don't have as much time as some to engross myself in investigative research pertaining to the credibility of sources, or the validity of one’s blog, to determine whether the text is factual. That's what the mass between the ears is for. Fill in the blank....filter...

Below is the link and I have included a paragraph here;

"The NRA's model of influence—absolute opposition to any measure to restrict guns combined with apocalyptic rhetoric aimed at its supporters—worked as long as the gun issue was out of the spotlight. But now that we're having an actual debate, things have changed. It's becoming clear that while they represent a certain portion of gun owners, they definitely don't speak for all gun owners, which is what they'd like legislators to believe. And that may provide just enough of an opening for legislation to pass".

How the NRA Is Helping to Pass Gun Control

I like to read from all sources, regardless of their agenda. This interesting read, among others, points out how the NRA is losing its clout and that many elected officials may now see them as a paper tiger. With so many gun owners not supporting the NRA, their threat may have weakened.

The article points out that the lack of NRA memberships is a 'sudo' gun control decision.

My take away from the article is;

You don't support the NRA means you must support gun control.

-178S

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back