NRA Members???

2Awarrior

I'm almost afraid to ask this question, because I'm afraid the answer will make my blood boil...
CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THERE ARE 80 MILLION GUN OWNERS IN THIS COUNTRY, AND ONLY 4 MILLION NRA MEMBERS?!?!?
Is there anyone on this forum who is NOT an NRA member and can justify why?
Look at the force we are in Washington DC - imagine if there were 50 or 60 MILLION of us?? And why shouldn't there be 80 Million?!?
WE ARE IN THE FIGHT OF OUR LIVES HERE, PEOPLE!!

I was on line getting into a gun show once, and I heard two college- age guys talking behind me - "You in the NRA?" one asked the other. "Naah" the little s--t whined, "if you join up, they always keep mailing you stuff."
I turned around and stared in his face. "You know what?" I said, "If I had my way, there'd be a guard at the door over there, and if you can't show your NRA membership card, you couldn't even get the ---k INSIDE."
I offered to PAY his g----mn membership for a year at the NRA booth inside the building where the show was, but I guess the prospect of the NRA "mailing him stuff" was just too terrifying.

Lord help us.

Or the Second Amendment Foundation? If, you don't want to join the NRA.

To answer your question, many (MANY) people are simply too stupid to realize that the "evil guns" they are coming after are theirs. And they believe that "they don't have time and someone else will handle it."
Just my thoughts.

$35 Annual dues is well spent money.

I can't answer that question. and it is probably a rhetorical one at best. It took me a long hard look at the **** going on around me in Arizonan before I decided to start being concerned about being "self" protective. Joined NRA at a gun show in Tucson and have renewed up to 2015. And for so many years I didn't even know my parents were members. They never even really mentioned it too often, as I recall. I can better justify the annual membership fee by sacrificing a nice dinner out and a case of beer, for the freedom of knowing that this "Best club I ever joined" is fighting for my rights and others to be constitutionally armed and protected. It is about the best damned $35.00 I have ever spent.

I have asked a few of the gun owners i know and it would seem they are paranoid of big brother...
"The government will get a membership list eventually and use that to show up at my door to take my guns"
As hard as i might try i can not convince them otherwise. I don't understand but i have heard it MANY times. I live in Alaska where we don't have any registration requirements. We also seem to have a lot of conspiracy theorists here too.

Nra

I'm almost afraid to ask this question, because I'm afraid the answer will make my blood boil...
CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THERE ARE 80 MILLION GUN OWNERS IN THIS COUNTRY, AND ONLY 4 MILLION NRA MEMBERS?!?!?
Look at the force we are in Washington DC - imagine if there were 50 or 60 MILLION of us?? And why shouldn't there be 80 Million?!?

I was on line getting into a gun show once, and I heard two college- age guys talking behind me - "You in the NRA?" one asked the other. "Naah" the little s--t whined, "if you join up, they always keep mailing you stuff."
I turned around and stared in his face. "You know what?" I said, "If I had my way, there'd be a guard at the door over there, and if you can't show your NRA membership card, you couldn't even get the ---k INSIDE."
I offered to PAY his g----mn membership for a year at the NRA booth inside the building where the show was, but I guess the prospect of the NRA "mailing him stuff" was just too terrifying.

Lord help us.
Although I'm a life member as well as Instructor, Range Safety Officer & Registered Instructor here at USACarry I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I'm in the process of becoming an NRA Recruiter and I have friends with guns that are not members for a lot of the reasons you mentioned above. It takes a thick skin to put up with idiots some time!

Take a pill!!!!!!!'

Lord help us.

I'm a member, but rather than being a complete ******* to the Kids "Thus" making them even less likely to join..........

You could have briefly explain why it is the right/good thing to do!!!!!!!!! A guard at the door if you aren't a member......GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!! Over zealous people like you fuel the Fire for the anti-Gun Morons!!!! Being nice instead of a **** will always get you further my friend!!!!!

Lord help us.

I think you make some very valid points. I think the NRA needs to do more to gain support. I mean In the wake of the recent tragedies and the Media Lashing out at Gun Owners and Assault Rifles They should have a Promo or something to spike interest in Membership to encourage new Members. I mean their Facebook is gaining Support like crazy they need to do something on there to encourage new donations. Come January they are going to need **** tons of money to fight whatever legislation Dianne Feinstein tries to submit to Congress. Pro Gun Lobbies need to start doing whatever they can to get interviews on mainstream media to put some intelligent Pro 2nd Amendment arguments out there. NRA tried to address the Sandy Hook Tragedy but they need to make a more in depth argument explaining what "Assault Weapons" are and why they aren't as bad as the Media wants them to think. It's crazy how they can Villainize features of a Rifle that has no effect on the Lethality of the rifle. Especially the way they Villainize the word Semi-Automatic as if it's a New Military Weapon feature or something. People who don't know about guns hear the word Semi Automotic and think that means almost automatic. I think the Public needs more education about what guns are and what they are not. If not people who don't care about guns or the Rights attached to them will support these crazy ineffective legislation attempts. I asked my Dad the other day if he knew what an Assault Rifle was and he didn't know the definition he said it's like an Ar15 right? People like him can be dangerous when the bandwagon starts sweeping the nation. It's time to inform people about Guns and How important they are to our Society and our Freedom.

Well I suppose that I could justify my non-membership because I'm from overseas - however, because of your post, I decided to join up a few minutes ago.

Cheers
Gregg

I went to a gun show this weekend and joined up for the first time. The guy said membership is up 75% since the awb talks started. Hopefully we will get to the 80 million we need!!

Obviously, the OP is not asking a serious question. He's prejudged any answers he might get from those, like myself, who have many varied and perfectly valid reasons for not supporting the NRA. If the OP were really interested in knowing why someone wouldn't trust the NRA, all he'd have to do is conduct a simple search on something like, "the NRA's role in gun control" or "the NRA's and BATF's relationship" or any number of search criteria that will bring up very well-documented and articulate rationales for foregoing an affiliation with that particular gun control advocacy organization. Yep, that's what I said; the NRA is a gun control advocacy organization, whose relationship with the BATF is as incestuous as it is theatrical for the benefit of members who send them money when the Kabuki theater gets particularly intense, like now, when talk of gun bans etc. is all the rage. Their relationship is symbiotic. One would be less at their respective parts in the play without the other. To argue otherwise is to admit to being a sycophant, to not looking into where your own money, and more importantly, your own rights are going. Starting with the NRA's self-admitted involvement in gun control as far back as 1930 in precursor legislation that was built upon with the NFA of '34, all the way up to '08 when they fought Heller being brought to SCOTUS, and then 2010 when they elbowed their way into McDonald only to argue a weaker 2nd Amendment position than Gura's team, who, thankfully, won in spite of the NRA. The NRA has always been a gun control organization. One of their own past presidents even proudly admitted it. You can read about it in this post I made just a couple or three days ago if you're interested, which obviously, no one really is, as the tenor of both the OP and the subsequent posts in the thread takes for granted that the NRA is as pure as the wind-driven snow, and only one post offers rebuke for the OP's position that any criticism or distrust of the NRA's motives or effectiveness will get you cussed out while waiting in line at a gun show.

There are enough links above to get anyone who is really interested in knowing why some gun owners refuse to send money to the NRA started in understanding that firm position. It takes a lot of reading, but more importantly, it takes a mind that is open to possibly having been wrong about throwing all their support towards a group claiming to be supportive of your rights, when in reality, they have fought against them since their beginnings. If you've got such an open mind, click on the links and decide for yourself if the information makes sense and is truthful and reliable. If, as I suspect most of you are however, closed to the thought that the NRA is, and always has been, a gun control organization, then I would advise you not to bother, lest your blood start boiling just as the OP's did before anyone actually gave an honest and cogent answer to his prejudiced, disingenuous questions.

Blues

I have been a NRA member for 42 years now and in answer to the OP, I believe a lot of it has to do with the "let someone else do it" mentality in the USA today. I was an officer in our local Fish and Game Club back in the mid-1980's through the mid-1990's and we had a membership of around 2500 during those years, but only 6 to 10 of us were willing to work to put on events. All the members wanted to shoot skeet and trap every weekend of decent weather, use the rifle and pistol ranges, and come to events like the annnual Turkey Shoots that were put on by the Club, but only the officers and board members would show up to do any of the work. After ten years of working nearly every weekend to help put on these events, I and a majority of the other officers and board members simply got burned out! We couldn't even get any members to help clean up all the garbage and other mess left on the shooting ranges and around the pond we kept stocked for members to fish in, but all of the the club members expected it to be done by someone. I personally got tired of hearing "I'd like to help, but I don't have the time to", and "That's the job of you officers and board members". Today there isn't 250 members of the Club and it's about dead - at least I haven't seen any activities put on by the Club in about 10 years now.
I'll bet if stricter gun control legislation is passed, the same non-members of the NRA will be screaming "Why didn't the NRA do something to stop this from happening?" My responce would be "Why didn't you join and help the NRA do something about it?" Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone (Hope you like my singing there!).
Link Removed

" I can better justify the annual membership fee by sacrificing a nice dinner out and a case of beer, for the freedom of knowing that this "Best club I ever joined" is fighting for my rights and others to be constitutionally armed and protected. It is about the best damned $35.00..."

Dinner at Taco Bell and a case of Natty Light? Yes. NRA membership is worth that. :)

I turned around and stared in his face. "You know what?" I said, "If I had my way, there'd be a guard at the door over there, and if you can't show your NRA membership card, you couldn't even get the ---k INSIDE."I offered to PAY his g----mn membership for a year at the NRA booth inside the building where the show was, but I guess the prospect of the NRA "mailing him stuff" was just too terrifying.

Lord help us.

Wow!
And your cool, calm and reasonable demeanor didn't convince him what a great organization it would be for him to join? Shocking.

That attitude should help the cause for sure. They should use you as the recruiter to boost membership.

To me, that is the problem with many organizations, some of which I belong to (not just gun organizations). The 'holier than thou', our way or the highway mentality that the more vocal of the groups members displays often turns away potential members more than it recruits them.

I am an NRA annual member do to cost, I am a vet, I swore to portect this country and the constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic, I consider Feinstein and folks of her ilk domestic enemies, I will not register my arms, nor will I surrender them peacfully to anyone. None of my guns has every been used against anyone other than in defense of myself on family in the 60 years I have had guns, Obama, Holder and their ilk have sent 5,000 guns to Mexican drug cartels that makes them criminal in my book. Most of the police officers and military I have spoken to have said they would not remove arms from Americans. I do not consider Obama, Holder, Fienstein true Americans.

Just because I don't want to be a member of any organization that is not completely for the 2d Amendment's "shall not be infringed" statement. The NRA is for gun control. Period.

I am an NRA member, and I am also a GRNC member. I believe its important to support the NRA because they are the ONLY one that seems to get all the media attention vs other grassroots organizations. I say support them, plus your local organizations. I have even donated additional funds, in hopes that they will be able to defend our rights. Unfortunately, they can only go so far, but 35 dollars is the cost of one meal at a diner, you can't tell me you can afford the gun...the ammo...the holster...the add ons...and yet you can't afford a stinkin membership. Just remember that when all our guns get taken, at the very least....I can say I tried.

I'm a Life Member, Instructor, RSO, Refuse to be a Victim Instructor, and more. I'm proud to be a member of an NRA Gold Gun Club (100% NRA membership). The most important thing to me right now is that we do not destroy ourselves by infighting and being over the top in our beliefs and actions. We know that our guns should not be restricted or taken away by an overzealous government. However, if we do not present a united front of 80 million guns owners and we actively politely communicate our support of the Second Amendment we will lose. I really urge the NRA, SAF, NAGR and any other gun organization to get together and present a united front. United we prevail. Divided we fail!

Thank you, gentlemen for your responses. In particular -*

To Icemanii and Trubeit - I definitely let my emotions get the best of me that day, and didn't do my "beloved NRA" much good. Point well made and well taken, thanks.

To BluesStringer and UATKP - I can tell your intellects are likely somewhere around ten times what mine is, and I mean that. Your points about the NRA being something other than a pro-gun rights organization should inspire some of us to investigate the facts behind your statements more closely, and I for one will be doing so.

To UKCatFan012 - although your singing was a little flat, it was nevertheless a perfect reference. You don't know what you got til it's gone (sometimes, anyway).

Thanks everybody.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back