NRA Members???

I've been a Life Member since 1981. No clue why anyone who owns a firearm isn't a member. They send me stuff once in a while, but I don't get "tons" of stuff from them. When they ask for money, I feel my Life Membership is good enough. However, I did contribute after the latest gun free zone, shooting. I figured they could use all the "ammo" they could get.

That's all very interesting, but it neither answers the question posed in the OP (Why would any gun owner not join the N R A?), nor does it address the substantive issues raised in response to that question. In fact, like all the rest, it completely ignores those issues.

I take it back. Not really very interesting at all.

Blues

I just joined the NRA.

I'd been thinking about it for a while when I found this thread. The OP almost made me jump in right then and there, but I continued to read the thread and eventually, with great determination I managed to read it all. I was hoping to find some information about someplace better to put my money than the NRA, but that did not happen.

I realize the NRA, like many large successful organizations has its faults. I have belonged to other organizations in other fields that also have flaws. They are not perfect but they each seem to be doing more good than harm for the particular cause involved than anybody else. It would be too easy to take an extreme attitude toward these faults and do nothing, but I think it's more responsible to contribute to the good that these organizations can do.

The other day I ran across a copy of the February 2013 issue of American Rifleman. The column Standing Guard on page 12 dealt with the National School Shield Emergency Response Program. A lot of politicians seem determined to pass new laws that they say are "common sense" solutions. To me, they are in fact nonsense solutions. We have quite enough laws that don't work, and in fact make the problems worse. It seems more like a "we must do something even if its wrong or incredibly stupid" attitude. The NRA's proposal on how to make our schools safe is the only one I've seen or heard that seems to be truly "common sense" in my view. This really helped me make my decision to join. It goes along with my thinking on the subject. In Connecticut, for example, the law is already there. It says that firearms are prohibited in schools unless the school gives permission. In addition to a hired, armed security guard or two, there are no doubt staff members at most schools who would be willing, capable and responsible concealed armed guards. I doubt that the cost would be too prohibitive to provide some training to some carefully chosen staff members who may even be already trained and prepared, if only they would be allowed to protect our children. I think this is the kind of "common sense" thinking that is sorely needed in this country and the NRA promotes that kind of thinking so they get my vote.

Welcome aboard, av8r.
(assuming that's "aviator", what do you do? Pilot, tech, military? I'm a corporate jet tech.)

2A

My arguments stand not only as factually accurate and documented as such, but in this thread at least, they also stand as unrefuted, except for a few instances of childish name-calling and recriminations for having the audacity to form my own opinions based on the very facts that you and others have ignored.
You didn't read my post. I didn't mailign or ignore your facts, nor did I in any way begrudge you your opinion. On the contrary, I acknowledged your facts and said you were entitled to your opinion, so possibly you weren't referring to me. In any case, I just said I disagreed with the opinion those facts led you to and stated that your opinion is not fact even if it's based on them. I don't agree with your opinion of the NRA. Claiming your opinion as fact simply does not make it so. No matter how many times you protest that, become petulent or try to present more facts to support your conclusion, that conclusion is still your opinion. I won't bother with the rest of your post because I already told you I have no interest in another one of your endless circular debates.

I've been a Life Member since 1981. No clue why anyone who owns a firearm isn't a member. They send me stuff once in a while, but I don't get "tons" of stuff from them. When they ask for money, I feel my Life Membership is good enough. However, I did contribute after the latest gun free zone, shooting. I figured they could use all the "ammo" they could get.
That's all very interesting, but it neither answers the question posed in the OP (Why would any gun owner not join the N R A?), nor does it address the substantive issues raised in response to that question. In fact, like all the rest, it completely ignores those issues.

I take it back. Not really very interesting at all.
Just ignore him, dustoffuh1. Despite how his post may sound, Blues has no say so over what content anyone posts here, nor how appropriate it may be to the original post. He just sounds like that sometimes when someone pees in his cornflakes. Don't hold it against him. He's actually one of the better posters here. He just doesn't react well when someone refuses to agree with him, and that apparently wasn't one of his better days.

Just wanted to say......From your comment on page (1), if you let your Blood Boil "Literally".......YOU WILL DIE!!!!!!!!!!

Keep things to a slow simmer ��������������

Just wanted to say......From your comment on page (1), if you let your Blood Boil "Literally".......YOU WILL DIE!!!!!!!!!!

Keep things to a slow simmer ��������������

Got that right. I believe somewhere in these 27 pages I referred to my original post as a "buffoonish rant" (and if I didn't, I'm doing it now), a rant I'm mildly embarrassed about. On the upside, it led to a spirited debate from which I've learned a great deal.

You didn't read my post.

Yes I did, and I replied directly to it, using your own words, and the thoughts they appeared to me to present, as the basis for that reply. You said:

Again, your'e perfectly entitled to your opinion, welcome to it in fact. But others are not lacking in any way simply by disagreeing with you. That's arrogance and delusion itself. And quite frankly it cheapens your argument.

I said in reply to your accusation that my arguments are somehow "cheapened" by what you perceive as arrogance and delusion on my part:

My arguments stand not only as factually accurate and documented as such, but in this thread at least, they also stand as unrefuted, except for a few instances of childish name-calling and recriminations for having the audacity to form my own opinions based on the very facts that you and others have ignored. That you continue to say that the N R A is not a gun control .org without a scintilla of evidence to counter all the presented facts to the contrary is what I consider to be indicative of delusion, not because you or anyone else disagrees with me personally. You appear to be attempting to apply some amount of logic here, but again, your abilities in that regard have failed you.

I never claimed you begrudged or otherwise tried to stifle, or even disagree with, my opinions. I also have not claimed you (or anyone else) have ignored my opinions, I have (rightfully, as far as any evidence shows within this thread) claimed that you have ignored all the evidence that I and others have presented as the basis for them. Now you claim that's not true. So OK, you say you have not ignored the evidence I and others have presented. Have you countered them with contrary evidence of your own? Have you challenged the veracity of the betrayals, events and lies by the N R A that I and others have documented? You say you don't agree with the opinions (or conclusions) I have drawn from the evidence that underpins them, but why not? I haven't challenged your right to make up your own mind, I've only asked why you disagree with opinions and/or conclusions I've come to, and to provide a better rationale for same than simply, "I disagree, so there." (I know you haven't said "so there," but that is the gist of the messages I get from you on this topic. without saying or documenting why you disagree with my opinions, it's no different than actually saying, "I disagree, so there." so there).

I have said things to the effect of anyone who reads the VP of the N R A stating unequivocally that his .org has been for "reasonable and workable gun control measures since its inception" is indeed delusional if they believe that the N R A has never been a gun control .org. You claimed saying things like that cheapens my argument. I claim my arguments stand as unrefuted with anything other than personal attacks, cheap shots, lies, and impugning my character. Which argument is really cheapened? The one that uses facts and documentation to aid in its articulation, or the one that uses accusations of being a racist, felon, full of horseshit, links that don't say anything close to what the poster(s) claim they're being used for, and hold up the N R A's support for FOPA '86 as "proof" that the N R A isn't a gun control .org? In other words, how are my arguments cheapened just because I hold fast to my opinions that are based on thoroughly documented evidence? The argument would only be cheapened if they were shown to be wrong, or at least weak, and I kept putting the same argument forward. Like I said, my arguments stand not only as factually accurate and documented as such, but in this thread at least, they also stand as unrefuted.

What you perceive in me as "arrogance" is nothing more than confidence that what I'm saying is firmly rooted in truth. People seem unable to accept such confidence these days for some reason. If my opinions or conclusions could be shown to be based in lies, inaccurate data and/or misrepresented historical events and utterances, you (or anyone) would shatter that confidence in a nanosecond, as all I'm about is getting at and knowing the truth of the issues that interest and/or concern me. I don't hold fast to my opinions because they are *my* opinions, I hold fast to them because to deny the evidence before me and claim that the N R A is concerned with protecting my rights would be tantamount to purposely accepting a lie just to get along with others who, for whatever reason(s), can't or won't accept the truths that the evidence clearly demonstrates. You call that arrogance. I call it confidence that the evidence I have spent years scrutinizing has led me to the right conclusions. Obviously, and for good and rational reasons, I disagree with your opinion about my "arrogance," and find the accusation of me being delusional to be just another baseless bit of brain-dead blather.

Blues

Thanks!

Thanks. PPL.

I think that you'll find that NRA members are a friendly group. We are a lot more than a 2A rights group. There's always something going on somewhere. During the election seasons, our campaign offices sometimes have BBQs and various foods for consumption. If you're into that kind of stuff...:yes4:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back