NRA Members???

I don't have as much time as some to engross myself in investigative research pertaining to the credibility of sources, or the validity of one’s blog, to determine whether the text is factual.

Then the prudent thing to do is wait until you've had the time to scrutinize your sources before using them. Duh.

That's what the mass between the ears is for. Fill in the blank....filter...

And as everyone will see below, the prudence you employ in this regard is also severely lacking.

Below is the link and I have included a paragraph here;

"The NRA's model of influence—absolute opposition to any measure to restrict guns combined with apocalyptic rhetoric aimed at its supporters—worked as long as the gun issue was out of the spotlight. But now that we're having an actual debate, things have changed. It's becoming clear that while they represent a certain portion of gun owners, they definitely don't speak for all gun owners, which is what they'd like legislators to believe. And that may provide just enough of an opening for legislation to pass".

How the NRA Is Helping to Pass Gun Control

I like to read from all sources, regardless of their agenda. This interesting read, among others, points out how the NRA is losing its clout and that many elected officials may now see them as a paper tiger. With so many gun owners not supporting the NRA, their threat may have weakened.

The article points out that the lack of NRA memberships is a 'sudo' gun control decision.

Actually, you couldn't be more wrong about what your link is attempting to point out. You quoted only the last paragraph, and then "analyzed" the whole piece with that as the only "evidence" that your "analysis" was valid, or on-point. It decidedly isn't.

The piece is actually arguing the exact opposite of what I've been saying. The author is saying that the N R A is an extremist organization, that it holds an "absolute opposition to any measure to restrict guns." What I've been saying all along is that that is a ridiculous assertion, made so by reading the N R A's own assertions to the contrary if nothing else, though there are hundreds of other examples to prove the statement is patently false. This article is saying that the N R A is so radical, so extremist, that it is their radicalism that will drive membership numbers down, thus paving the way for legislators to consider them a "paper tiger" or whatever weakened status than that which they currently are perceived to enjoy. It is their radicalism that will eventually serve as the "pseudo-gun control decision" you fantasize that they're applying to a decision not to join.

To claim that the "...article points out that the lack of NRA memberships is a 'sudo' [sic] gun control decision" is to prove that your statement above (That's what the mass between the ears is for. Fill in the blank....filter...) is a concept you have no business claiming to know anything about.

Honestly, I hope others read the article that he linked to. Whether or not you agree with my take on the N R A, there's no way to read that piece (of whatever it is) and come away thinking that it's meant to encourage gun owners to join the N R A in its current form. If you're an N R A member, and happy that you are, if you actually understood what the author is saying (which 178S obviously doesn't), you'd be much more likely to be insulted by the author's characterization(s) of you as being radical extremists, or just too stupid to realize how radical and extreme your .org is.

My take away from the article is;

You don't support the NRA means you must support gun control.

-178S

Oh blah friggin' blah. If you don't vote for Romney, you must support Obama. Blah friggin' blah. If you don't belong to Mothers Against Drunk Driving you must support driving drunk. Blah friggin' blah. If you don't belong to the ACLU, you must support the denial of civil rights. Blah friggin' blah. If you don't belong to the NAACP, you must support white supremacy and/or white separatism. If you don't belong to the JPFO you must support disarming all Jews and resurrecting the Nazi ovens.
pajenry_by_laoperz.gif

Do you have any idea how stupid you look when you make statements like that? Obviously not.

Blues

Paul Waldman is a left-wing blogger who occasionally makes it to the New York Times website. I've seen a few anti-NRA pieces by him. Just another radical freak, but photogenic enough to actually have a photo connected to some of his articles.

Anyone who can't immediately see what the article in question is about needs to reevaluate whether or not they actually have that "mass between the ears".

Interesting read. Much food for thought.
I always appreciate an opportunity to get an education.

I've got homework to do.

I got a one year membership but won't be renewing. I have seen zero benefits from being a member and don't like paying for something that provides nothing to me. (I don't get how me being a member will help gun rights any more than my vote will.)

I can't help but wonder that at times as well- but during days like this- they are among some of our louder voices vs. Feinstein's people. still: not sure- but will read on.

add on- I know that i do not have the time to contribute and be an avid gun rights activist- when we were asked to call up our state reps- I must admit shamefully- that i went to the ruger site and sent in the automated letter (quiet muffled lol). So that's at least one reason i'm grateful for being part of the NRA-

Do you have any idea how stupid you look when you make statements like that? I welcome the day you talk like that to another man's face, but it's doubtful that it will ever happen.

tricolordad- hes clearly beneath you... to speak of someone as a "stupid dog" who needs to be "muzzled" and then be upset that you called him bubbles... class act... tsk tsk..

Hey 2awarrior I got caught up reading so many great and informing arguments from both sides that I didn't read your original post. And I had to laugh. I am surprised that they didn't swallow u whole for that one. All in all. Thanks for starting a great thread!
Courtney

I can't believe this thread is still alive...!
Like Gallstones said, there is a lot of useful info here. Truckloads of it.

HOWEVER...
I started this thread back in December, and while I am still an NRA member, my adoration has waned a little, as I watch how they are (not) handling the deteriorating situation in my home state. I posted this some days ago in a different thread (in frustrated contrast to my opening post here on this very thread).

I gotta say, I'm damn discouraged from what I've seen so far.
And I'm the guy who, some months ago, started a thread here on being pro-NRA that hit 19 pages of responses.

But now, as a New Yorker, I am so disgusted with "how things work" that I'm ready to throw all my firearms in the trash along with my copy of the Constitution the dumb-ass Heritage Foundation sent me. I can barely stand to look at them any more.
What's it all for? All I get every day is emails from the NRA and their NY affiliate, the NYSRPA, about "Ooooooooo looky, another county or sheriff just said they don't like what Cuomo did! Seeeee? We're making progress!"
Word from Cuomo or his cronies? Nothing.

I predicted the law would be at least torn apart if not repealed.
But my fellow New Yorkers, the cowering liberals and hoplophobes, are gonna get their way.

Where's all that awe-inspiring 'power', Wayne, you putz?
Thanks for the hat.

Edit- PS - I'm also a member of two other groups, the GOA and the JPFO. They're accomplishing great things, too. Just check You Tube under Piers Morgan. That and a dollar will get you a coffee in Albany.

And no, I am not talking about throwing the Constitution in the trash. I still believe.
I'm talking about the booklet the yahoos at the HF sent me. Seeing their name on the cover just reminds me of all their big talk and little action.

And one more time - we need them, they are our main voice in this fight, but I'm getting increasingly frustrated by their relative silence lately.

Where you at, Wayne?

And one more time - we need them, they are our main voice in this fight, but I'm getting increasingly frustrated by their relative silence lately.

Where you at, Wayne?

Hey, buddy, if I lived in new york right now- i'd be right there next to ya, feeling exactly the same way- discouraged. let down. But instead, here i am, in missouri- praying that the same doesn't happen to us- and not being very proactive about preventing it- (well, relatively----- proactive about it compared to many of these guys here)- and HOPING that the NRA will do something about it. I think new york has become that "precautionary tale" for gun owners nation wide.

Where you at, Wayne?

Hi 2A, I can understand your frustration at the lack of movement that the NRA, SAF, GOA ...etc, but look at what they're up against. Heck, I'm frustrated too. Tired of reading all the stories, calling, emailing and writing all the JACKA*** ..uh members of Congress and my Senators. But the best progress I've seen is on my states level. The fight on the National level is going to be hard fought.
I donate to more than one org hoping that one of them or all of them can get something done.
Don't give up, we'll need all of us to win this battle we have before us. So, hang in there brother!

tricolordad- hes clearly beneath you... to speak of someone as a "stupid dog" who needs to be "muzzled" and then be upset that you called him bubbles... class act... tsk tsk..

As I suspected.....You obviously have no intellectual honesty to offer any thread you start or participate in. You have it exactly backwards. That N R A sycophant admitted that his entire purpose in responding to me was to think up stupid, childish names to call me, and then, several pages later, I called him a stupid dog who needed to be muzzled because he wasn't representing the interests of N R A members who were trying to recruit others into their fold.

Let's test your theory that I am "beneath" that idiot.

In this thread alone, and there are many I could pick the same level of idiocy out of, that uninformed, ignorant fool said that the N R A "has a voice in the U.N." That is a total fabrication, and one of the main reasons I advised other N R A members to muzzle their stupid attack dog, as that is all he did throughout this thread is attack anyone who didn't fall right in line with the N R A's dishonest self-serving propaganda about how righteously pro-2nd Amendment they are. When provable lies are put forth as a reason to join an organization, that .org's members should muzzle those liars in their own best interests, don't you think?

He has said that he and "a few" other N R A members were responsible for turning Wisconsin around from a Democrat stronghold into a battleground state. Nevermind that WI went with Obama anyway, or that the events that led to a stronger Republican showing were statistically shown to be due to the leftist's attempt to unseat the Republican Governor, and had absolutely nothing to do with that fool or his "few" N R A cohorts' unsubstantiated efforts.

He has alluded to me being a Nazi twice in this thread. He has accused me of being a racist and a felon based on nothing but his wild imagination and insufferable knee-jerk hatred of anyone who deigns to post the truth about the betrayals of the N R A against gun owners for the entirety of their 142 year history. And all of that came before I used the word "dog" or "stupid" to suggest that anyone who really cares about the N R A's recruitment efforts should muzzle him because his blatant disregard for the truth and/or decorum is hurting those efforts.

I couldn't care any less that you disagree with me about anything, and that is not what this reply is intended to address. I am here to tell you though, that hitching your wagon to that lying troll will do nothing to improve, or even maintain the "status quo" of any credibility you have built for yourself in your short time here.

In any case, if you're going to get in the middle of our months-long adversarial banter, make sure you get the sequence of posts right when you cite either of our posts. Because if you put the "and then" in the wrong place again, you will prove yourself to be as dishonest as the lying troll you're taking sides on behalf of.

Blues

Edit - this was in response to Courtney's last post, while blues was posting his...

Afraid so. As I've said before to my fellow rankled NY gun owners, when California gun owners are laughing at you, you know things are getting bad. We're the laughingstock of the country right now.

I just get the sense that the gun organizations are giving up on us, like there are some "lost states" and we're one of them.
As always, I could be wrong on this, and I hope I am.
We are making ourselves heard as best we can, most counties and couny sheriffs have voiced their opposition to the new law, many individual towns have too, but to what end?
Cuomo's like, "Hey, your guys passed it, don't look at me..."

As I suspected.....You obviously have no intellectual honesty to offer any thread you start or participate in. You have it exactly backwards. That N R A sycophant admitted that his entire purpose in responding to me was to think up stupid, childish names to call me, and then, several pages later, I called him a stupid dog who needed to be muzzled because he wasn't representing the interests of N R A members who were trying to recruit others into their fold.

Let's test your theory that I am "beneath" that idiot.

In this thread alone, and there are many I could pick the same level of idiocy out of, that uninformed, ignorant fool said that the N R A "has a voice in the U.N." That is a total fabrication, and one of the main reasons I advised other N R A members to muzzle their stupid attack dog, as that is all he did throughout this thread is attack anyone who didn't fall right in line with the N R A's dishonest self-serving propaganda about how righteously pro-2nd Amendment they are. When provable lies are put forth as a reason to join an organization, that .org's members should muzzle those liars in their own best interests, don't you think?

He has said that he and "a few" other N R A members were responsible for turning Wisconsin around from a Democrat stronghold into a battleground state. Nevermind that WI went with Obama anyway, or that the events that led to a stronger Republican showing were statistically shown to be due to the leftist's attempt to unseat the Republican Governor, and had absolutely nothing to do with that fool or his "few" N R A cohorts' unsubstantiated efforts.

He has alluded to me being a Nazi twice in this thread. He has accused me of being a racist and a felon based on nothing but his wild imagination and insufferable knee-jerk hatred of anyone who deigns to post the truth about the betrayals of the N R A against gun owners for the entirety of their 142 year history. And all of that came before I used the word "dog" or "stupid" to suggest that anyone who really cares about the N R A's recruitment efforts should muzzle him because his blatant disregard for the truth and/or decorum is hurting those efforts.

I couldn't care any less that you disagree with me about anything, and that is not what this reply is intended to address. I am here to tell you though, that hitching your wagon to that lying troll will do nothing to improve, or even maintain the "status quo" of any credibility you have built for yourself in your short time here.

In any case, if you're going to get in the middle of our months-long adversarial banter, make sure you get the sequence of posts right when you cite either of our posts. Because if you put the "and then" in the wrong place again, you will prove yourself to be as dishonest as the lying troll you're taking sides on behalf of.

Blues

Hey blue,
from the length of your responses... if this is you "not caring...."
No one is asking if you care or not about anything. and do not continually (edit) chastise me- for the instances in which i chose to side with tricolordad- are we in the first grade? Good day

p.s. besides the standard and endless ramblings, I did, once again, get some good education from your last post. thanks again-

Someone asked where is Wayne LaPierre? He made a good speech at CPAC, with just a few stumbles, and if he had any oratory coaching, it helped. At least his scripted speech was generally good, but his focus this time in front of the mic. needs to rub-off on younger, up-and-comers to diversify the NRA message.

I'm not here to argue why or why not anyone should join the NRA. I'm a member. Big boys may make their own observations and decide.

I feel I get my money's worth. 'nuff said.

Someone asked where is Wayne LaPierre? He made a good speech at CPAC, with just a few stumbles, and if he had any oratory coaching, it helped. At least his scripted speech was generally good, but his focus this time in front of the mic. needs to rub-off on younger, up-and-comers to diversify the NRA message.

I'm not here to argue why or why not anyone should join the NRA. I'm a member. Big boys may make their own observations and decide.

I feel I get my money's worth. 'nuff said.

Excellent post. Thanks.

I'm almost afraid to ask this question, because I'm afraid the answer will make my blood boil...
CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THERE ARE 80 MILLION GUN OWNERS IN THIS COUNTRY, AND ONLY 4 MILLION NRA MEMBERS?!?!?
Is there anyone on this forum who is NOT an NRA member and can justify why?
Look at the force we are in Washington DC - imagine if there were 50 or 60 MILLION of us?? And why shouldn't there be 80 Million?!?
WE ARE IN THE FIGHT OF OUR LIVES HERE, PEOPLE!!

I was on line getting into a gun show once, and I heard two college- age guys talking behind me - "You in the NRA?" one asked the other. "Naah" the little s--t whined, "if you join up, they always keep mailing you stuff."
I turned around and stared in his face. "You know what?" I said, "If I had my way, there'd be a guard at the door over there, and if you can't show your NRA membership card, you couldn't even get the ---k INSIDE."
I offered to PAY his g----mn membership for a year at the NRA booth inside the building where the show was, but I guess the prospect of the NRA "mailing him stuff" was just too terrifying.

Lord help us.
...i got a free membership when i bought a taurus hand gun. i like the organization and will probably renew.
but i didnt apreciate them sending me c.d.'s that i didnt ask for. and then billing me for them. this tactic is counter productive for them. they need to stop it.

Hey blue,
from the length of your responses... if this is you "not caring...."
No one is asking if you care or not about anything. and do not continually (edit) chastise me- for the instances in which i chose to side with tricolordad- are we in the first grade? Good day

p.s. besides the standard and endless ramblings, I did, once again, get some good education from your last post. thanks again-

Courtney, as much as I like to see someone take him head on, gotta tell you...you're wasting time talking to him. But nevertheless, thank you for calling his BS! He's an anonymous internet name-caller. I'm sure he will escalate to threats some day, they all do.

Could I respond to every single accusation he makes? Yes. Will I? No, because I have stated my case and he has continually lied and gone off on weird unrelated tangents. The only reason I engaged him was to make sure that his long winded bs didn't overflow the truth on this thread and that the general public would be able to see it without too much effort.

He will block you today, but only so he can take jabs at you later without having to actually confront you. He blocks anybody who he perceives as smarter than him. And it doesn't take much. He's a pretty typical troll, starts stuff and runs away crying about it acting like he's been victimized. Every forum's got one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back