I mildly brandished last night

The good: No injury or loss of life. And you didn't get arrested and incarcerated for brandishing.

The bad: No holster (BAD FORM!). Should probably have turned and drawn rather than flashing. Didn't immediately call 911, but at least discussed it with LEO later.

I give you a "B-."

The good: No injury or loss of life. And you didn't get arrested and incarcerated for brandishing.

The bad: No holster (BAD FORM!). Should probably have turned and drawn rather than flashing. Didn't immediately call 911, but at least discussed it with LEO later.

I give you a "B-."

Wait...forgot that you carry without one in the pipe. I have to lower that to a "C-."

One guy started to approach out of a group of three once and I raised my gun and said, "A volunteer to die first" as I flicked the safety off and went to the trigger.

Also, anyone should avoid the Hollywood movie cliche lines when facing criminals

Wait - what? :)

Phillip no! Gotta be a b- for no holster and nothing in the pipe but turning and drawing actually STARTS a situation, I avoided it. It wasn't like I lifted my sweatshirt and wagged my butt at them, I lifted it up casually with my hands ln the center pocket

Phillip no! Gotta be a b- for no holster and nothing in the pipe but turning and drawing actually STARTS a situation, I avoided it. It wasn't like I lifted my sweatshirt and wagged my butt at them, I lifted it up casually with my hands ln the center pocket

I might have wagged my butt. I would bump you back up to the B- on the curve.

I thought i would share my first experience with my firearm. It's not an action packed story but it did the job and I'm thankful it didn't escalate.

The wife and I typically walk to the grocery shore instead of driving to fight the flab. The store is about 3/4 a mile away and I usually walk it several times a day. We have never had a problem, and being from a small country town I never expected one either. Population is like 2600 or something small, but we are just outside a larger city filled with tweakers. Anyway we were checking out at the register and I looked over and saw several trashy looking guys, 4 total I think staring at us through the front of the store, which made me a little nervous since I use a money clip so it was obvious I had a few hundred on me. I always try and avoid these situations so as we walked out instead of going left where they were loitering I told my wife to walk straight out before going left on the sidewalk. Once we got to the sidewalk however I noticed out of the corner of my eye that they appeared to be headed our way. My wife is a natural speedwalker so I figured we would just out walk them.

About a 1/3rd of the way home my wife glanced back and then asked if I was carrying my gun. This shocked me as my wife is one of those it wont happen to me people, especially in my town. I of course was packing, however instead of it being in my wallet holster I was Mexican carrying it in the sob position. I Mexican carry around the house unchambered as an added security measure for my daughter. She couldn't rack the slide if her life depended on it, so it just adds some extra comfort knowing that. So we are about 2/3 the way home when I noticed they stopped talking or started wispering making me VERY nervous so I asked my wife to be as quiet as possible. They were VERY close now and I knew I still needed to chamber a round. I asked my wife how she wanted to handle it and she said do what you gotta do so I very gently lifted my hooded sweatshirt up from the front so it would rise up in the back revealing my gun. Not 10 steps go by before I turn for a peak and they did a complete u turn hightailing it out of there. The fact that there was 4 of them, all probably smacked out on dope meant it was going to end badly if I let it continue and now thankfully my wife 100% understands why I carry and loves it. We had some good loving after dinner!

I know its not a huge climatic story but I just wanted to share. It doesn't matter where you live, there's drugs in EVERY town and people willing to do what it takes to get them. I live across the street from the only gas station in town where I talk to the local LEO a lot and I relayed the story to him. He said I handled it very well in that I didn't flash it threateningly ( eye contact or use of words ) but I made a mistake by not just calling the cops while I was walking. That is one thing I definately need to work on. My thoughts were more around how fast can I get my gun, cock and fire and at who first. I usually always carry one in the chamber but I didn't take that extra minute to grab my holster. I hope everyone here carries with a round ready and a good holster. It saves lives.

If you did that in Colorado, you would be put in jail facing the charge of menacing that ranges from a felony to a misdemeanor. My advice: Call the police before leaving the store or shortly after and have them drive by, let them know what is going on. To correct some of the false information posted here by some: There is nothing wrong with calling the police when you feel you are in danger.

Anyway, seems like it worked for you, but its not how I would go about it.

Deserteagle- I live in an open carry state and have my ccw. Since I didn't make eye contact or any other threatening manner it wasn't a crime. The whole pistol wasn't totally exposed, I'd say the majority of the grip was still covered but just enough that they could still see it. Glad I went with two tone instead of all black haha

Please do not get me wrong but---- why do you carry "a couple of hundred" in a manner that is just begging for a problem. Situational awareness would have easily minimized if not eliminated a reason for these guys to even bother with you. You tended to indicate that your area is not exactly the garden of eden--another reason to have used more common sense than a wad of cash. I am glad it worked out well for you but just realize that there is no such thing as "mildly brandish"--kind of like partially pregnant. Brandishing can get you killed if you meet up with the really wrong guys and guess what---they can easily be considered as justified. Be more careful, use situational awareness to its nth degree and, contrary to some of the comments I have seen, brandishing--mild or not--is against the law (at least in my state of SC) and can get you killed.

Wait....you mean you used the deterrent factor of a visible gun and the BGs left you alone? They didn't rush you or try to get ahead, ambush you and shoot you with your own gun? Simply amazing....

Self righteous CCers (not all of them) everywhere probably felt a disturbance in the force when you did that.

Reading some of the comments, maybe you guys should be working on getting your laws changed instead of giving this guy grief over the fact he has RIGHTS in addition to his privilege in his state.

Sounds like jealousy to me.

Good job OP! Although you should seriously consider carrying chambered when your outside your home. I did the same as you do when my daughters were very young, but I always chambered once my foot crossed the threshold of my front door.

You know, I have read a few things like this, and I always wonder, is this a male/female thing? I can only imagine the first thing I would have done was get on my cell, call the cops, and quite loudly said something like "Yeah, there's these guys following me way to close, making me really uncomfortable, and the last thing I want to do is have to shoot somebody." But I'm kind of obnoxious that way.

Frankly, I think this was the best outcome. The display of weapons in a non-menacing way is highly underrated. And as much as people say "If you're going to draw, you shoot," just about everyone involved is going to be much happier if any conflict ends without bullets flying.
I like obnoxious...LOL

I wouldn't want anyone know I have a gun. When theres 4 ppl they can still come at you even when they know you have a gun.See it happen. They can have weapons and still be bold. Holster' one in the pipe. And get ready. At least you safe and wifey will let you get a good holster. Maybe one for her also. 2 ppl 2 guns next time :). Hopefully there never is a next time but they maybe watching ,waiting now?? Be safe

kelcarry:243778 said:
Please do not get me wrong but---- why do you carry "a couple of hundred" in a manner that is just begging for a problem. Situational awareness would have easily minimized if not eliminated a reason for these guys to even bother with you. You tended to indicate that your area is not exactly the garden of eden--another reason to have used more common sense than a wad of cash. I am glad it worked out well for you but just realize that there is no such thing as "mildly brandish"--kind of like partially pregnant. Brandishing can get you killed if you meet up with the really wrong guys and guess what---they can easily be considered as justified. Be more careful, use situational awareness to its nth degree and, contrary to some of the comments I have seen, brandishing--mild or not--is against the law (at least in my state of SC) and can get you killed.

Actually I said I live in a nice area with not so nice surrounding areas. This forum really cracks me up sometimes. There's always gotta be those guys that just have all the answers and can and will never make a mistake! Sometimes I have to carry cash. I do my best with situational awareness and everything possible to avoid conflict, I'm not going to get it right all the time and I'm sure not going to be a victim about it.

Actually I said I live in a nice area with not so nice surrounding areas. This forum really cracks me up sometimes. There's always gotta be those guys that just have all the answers and can and will never make a mistake! Sometimes I have to carry cash. I do my best with situational awareness and everything possible to avoid conflict, I'm not going to get it right all the time and I'm sure not going to be a victim about it.

I think you did fine.

Once I posted about *thinking* about drawing on someone who pulled a knife on my husband and I got run up and down the proverbial flagpole. I took that post down immediately because I didn't want the flak.

curious why the other poster took so much flak for drawing his weapon on a person who was assaulting him, but cot isn't for revealing his weapon on persons who have not verbally threatened him.

Btw, you have just graduated onto b2tall's list of compete fools, and I will be adding your tale to the rest of them for safe keeping, in case someone doesn't believe in deterrence.

Glad you are safe, get a holster. :)

Firefighterchen:243822 said:

Oh is that what "Mexican carry" means? I'm just an OC, don't bother too much with learning all the different titles for types of carry.

He's right OP, unholstered carry in any form is a recipe for disaster. Get a holster.

curious why the other poster took so much flak for drawing his weapon on a person who was assaulting him, but cot isn't for revealing his weapon on persons who have not verbally threatened him.

Btw, you have just graduated onto b2tall's list of compete fools, and I will be adding your tale to the rest of them for safe keeping, in case someone doesn't believe in deterrence.

Pretty sure the guy you're talking about was never assaulted, just yelled at...and probably for good reason

Not to mention there was potentially a huge disparity of force here.

OP: You didn't have to shoot anyone and got some good lovin' to boot. I'd call that a good day...

Cotillion:243827 said:

Pretty sure the guy you're talking about was never assaulted, just yelled at...and probably for good reason

Being threatened is assault. Telling someone you are going to harm them is assault. After you physically touch them, thats battery. As a paramedic, if i ask someone if I can start an IV and they say no, I can not say, "I am going to start an IV anyways." That is assault. If I grab them and start the IV, that is battery.

Don't assume anything about the other poster's situation, you weren't there. Do you find it at all hypocritical that you would brandish a firearm against people just following you, but wouldn't against someone who was threatening violence? How would you feel if your peers thought you deserved to have those people follow you?

I do not feel you did anything wrong in your situation, and I don't feel the other poster did anything wrong either (except the CCW charge for not having his permit on his person). The courts decided that as well.

Agent Green:243840 said:
Not to mention there was potentially a huge disparity of force here.

OP: You didn't have to shoot anyone and got some good lovin' to boot. I'd call that a good day...

Ya...one party had a firearm, the other didn't. That is a huge disparity of force. I believe both situations had a potential of danger, with one having that potential turning into actual danger (hint: the latter is not this thread)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back