I mildly brandished last night

Hey Cotillion: Guess my answer is not what someone in denial wants to hear. You were soliciting answers and I gave you some. You do not like them, forget about them and move on. Your reply to me belittles you. A couple of hundred dollars is necessary to take a walk to a grocery store? You keep up with "mildly brandishing" and are encouraged by many of the replies---I wish you good luck. There is a case going on in SC where "mildly brandishing" (he opened his coat to reveal the butt of a gun in his pant's waist) ended up with the guy being shot dead. If you do not like a response (excuse me for my mistake on your town), fine. Still wishing you and your family a happy and healthy holiday and will always maintain that there is no such thing as "mildly brandishing"--just like there is no such thing as "mildly getting yourself killed".

You keep up with "mildly brandishing" and are encouraged by many of the replies---I wish you good luck. There is a case going on in SC where "mildly brandishing" (he opened his coat to reveal the butt of a gun in his pant's waist) ended up with the guy being shot dead. If you do not like a response (excuse me for my mistake on your town), fine. Still wishing you and your family a happy and healthy holiday and will always maintain that there is no such thing as "mildly brandishing"--just like there is no such thing as "mildly getting yourself killed".
Yes this happened to an aquatance of mine. He was shot dead. Most place have debit?

I still recommend calling the police in those situations. You dont want 4 people to call the police on you saying "a guy just flashed his gun at us and we have 4 witnesses to prove it". It puts you in a bad situation.

I certainly understand the OPers reasons for doing what he did, but as I've said in other threads, merely flashing a weapon as some sort of defensive tactic is a potential recipe for disaster - both in a legal sense and with regards to your personal safety.

If the perceived threat doesn't warrant a full draw-down, then it isn't a real threat. In my 12+ yrs of CCing (and more of carrying a gun in my vehicle), I've laid hands on my pistol 3 times - all 3 as a precaution to potential threats. I did not display the weapon but I had it in my hand and out of sight. That way if the threat became a reality my reaction would be instant.

I still recommend calling the police in those situations. You dont want 4 people to call the police on you saying "a guy just flashed his gun at us and we have 4 witnesses to prove it". It puts you in a bad situation.

Exactly. If they had a mind to, those 4 could have called the police and screwed the OPer. No threats had been made and the potential BGs were walking in a public place. What would the "flasher" have told the cops in that case??

"Well officer....they were...ummm....walking behind us".

That's probably not gonna to fly. Not with the LEO, not with a prosecutor, not with a judge. The proverbial "can o' worms" has just been opened and in the end you have a law-abiding citizen, who was acting out of genuine concern for his safety, getting screwed.

I thought i would share my first experience with my firearm. It's not an action packed story but it did the job and I'm thankful it didn't escalate.

The wife and I typically walk to the grocery shore instead of driving to fight the flab. The store is about 3/4 a mile away and I usually walk it several times a day. We have never had a problem, and being from a small country town I never expected one either. Population is like 2600 or something small, but we are just outside a larger city filled with tweakers. Anyway we were checking out at the register and I looked over and saw several trashy looking guys, 4 total I think staring at us through the front of the store, which made me a little nervous since I use a money clip so it was obvious I had a few hundred on me. I always try and avoid these situations so as we walked out instead of going left where they were loitering I told my wife to walk straight out before going left on the sidewalk. Once we got to the sidewalk however I noticed out of the corner of my eye that they appeared to be headed our way. My wife is a natural speedwalker so I figured we would just out walk them.

About a 1/3rd of the way home my wife glanced back and then asked if I was carrying my gun. This shocked me as my wife is one of those it wont happen to me people, especially in my town. I of course was packing, however instead of it being in my wallet holster I was Mexican carrying it in the sob position. I Mexican carry around the house unchambered as an added security measure for my daughter. She couldn't rack the slide if her life depended on it, so it just adds some extra comfort knowing that. So we are about 2/3 the way home when I noticed they stopped talking or started wispering making me VERY nervous so I asked my wife to be as quiet as possible. They were VERY close now and I knew I still needed to chamber a round. I asked my wife how she wanted to handle it and she said do what you gotta do so I very gently lifted my hooded sweatshirt up from the front so it would rise up in the back revealing my gun. Not 10 steps go by before I turn for a peak and they did a complete u turn hightailing it out of there. The fact that there was 4 of them, all probably smacked out on dope meant it was going to end badly if I let it continue and now thankfully my wife 100% understands why I carry and loves it. We had some good loving after dinner!

I know its not a huge climatic story but I just wanted to share. It doesn't matter where you live, there's drugs in EVERY town and people willing to do what it takes to get them. I live across the street from the only gas station in town where I talk to the local LEO a lot and I relayed the story to him. He said I handled it very well in that I didn't flash it threateningly ( eye contact or use of words ) but I made a mistake by not just calling the cops while I was walking. That is one thing I definately need to work on. My thoughts were more around how fast can I get my gun, cock and fire and at who first. I usually always carry one in the chamber but I didn't take that extra minute to grab my holster. I hope everyone here carries with a round ready and a good holster. It saves lives.

In other words, while you were with your wife, you flashed an unloaded gun at 4 men while your back was to them and got away with it. Since you got away with it, you feel the need to brag.

You BLUFFED 4 men (if they were actually a threat) with an unloaded gun while out in the open WITH YOUR WIFE. And in doing so, you broke the law (there is no legal term like 'mildly brandishing').

Not the sharpest spoon in the drawer, are you?

Haha look at all the bandwagon people trying to throw a jab in. Let me say this 1 more time for the people who couldn't understand the other few posts.

Legally I did nothing wrong. But how you ask? Well because I can cc and OC legally here. Well you flashed your gun that's brandishing! No sir, my hooded sweatshirt rode up a couple inches and a small piece of my firearm was revealed and at no time did I turn and make eye contact or give any threat like movements/statements. So please, Stfu. And the last turd trying to say I'm not the sharpest tool, stop trying to be an internet gangster, its really lame.

Unfettered Might:243824 said:
Firefighterchen:243822 said:
Glad you are safe, get a holster. :)

Oh is that what "Mexican carry" means? I'm just an OC, don't bother too much with learning all the different titles for types of carry.

He's right OP, unholstered carry in any form is a recipe for disaster. Get a holster.

You learn something new everyday :) though if you carry in a pocket with no holster is that still considered Mexican carry? Or does it have to be in the waistline?

A series of posts back in 2007 shed good light/info on what is and is not brandishing even in OC states. I'm glad the OP was not a victim of the alleged hoodrats, but from what my pea-brain can decipher in all the states that have OC and CC, the alleged hoodrats could have caused you a world of trouble by them calling the police first saying you threatened THEM...it happens like it or not.

So to that end I offer the thread HERE

It is way too easy to be criticized by People who were not there. Could he have done it differently, yes. Has he learned a valuble lesson, yes. Nobody got injured, So it is one for the good guys. There is no substitute for experience. Use what you learned to be better prepared for the next encounter. I am glad that You and your wife are safe.

I just read another reply from Cotillion and now want to know why he bothered to even tell his story. So it was not brandishing or is mild brandishing not brandishing. He wrote a thread that does not add up well legally or otherwise based on what he wrote. Now he tells us he is also able to OC. If he was capable of OC he could have taken off his sweatshirt and been very clear about his intent. Kindly take the advice given by many and move on. The thread is becoming an embarrassment. I know this is my last look at this thread and my last reply. Be safe Cotillion.

Kelcarry, it really does suck that you and about a half dozen other people troll around these forums. I frequent a couple other forums and the threads never go sour like they do around here. It really does ruin good conversations to have people jump in and argue just for the sake of arguing. Every post on every thread is the same people throwing their negative 2 cents in. You say all these things you would've handled like a professional but in reality life isn't an internet forums where you can write down what you would have done.

Haha look at all the bandwagon people trying to throw a jab in. Let me say this 1 more time for the people who couldn't understand the other few posts.

Legally I did nothing wrong. But how you ask? Well because I can cc and OC legally here. Well you flashed your gun that's brandishing! No sir, my hooded sweatshirt rode up a couple inches and a small piece of my firearm was revealed and at no time did I turn and make eye contact or give any threat like movements/statements. So please, Stfu. And the last turd trying to say I'm not the sharpest tool, stop trying to be an internet gangster, its really lame.

IMO, any action that communicates "I and armed, and I am not a victim" is a positive action. About 90% of armed conflicts with a BG are ended without any shots being fired. Simply showing or drawing a firearm ends most confrontations.

And BGs rarely, if ever, call the police. The chances of a criminal calling police to report that a citizen threatened, brandished, etc, is almost zero.

About 90% of armed conflicts with a BG are ended without any shots being fired. Simply showing or drawing a firearm ends most confrontations.

And BGs rarely, if ever, call the police. The chances of a criminal calling police to report that a citizen threatened, brandished, etc, is almost zero.

And about 67% of statistics are made up on the spot.

As for bad guys "rarely" calling the police, tell that to milesihrig in the thread in CC forums who pointed his gun at somebody. Threatening lethal force is never acceptable. Cotillion found a way of making it look like an accident by pulling up his shirt but its not okay in Colorado Ill tell you that much.

rifleshooter474:243975 said:
This happened just the other day in my unsafe City Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Man trying to repair his car in a Autozone parking lot, these thugs a man and a woman came up asked for his billfold, he said no then the male shot him.

They caught them the next in Vinita Oklahoma.

Couple Wanted In Tulsa AutoZone Shooting Arrested In Vinita - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |
What happened? Didn't see anything about the man at autozone was shot after he "brandished" his weapon. How does this relate to this thread?

And about 67% of statistics are made up on the spot.
Your right, I made up the "about 90%" figure on the spot. The actual figure is 92%.

"Fact: Of the 2,500,000 times citizens use their guns to defend themselves every year, 92% merely brandish their gun or fire a warning shot to scare off their attackers."

Gun Facts Version 3.2 Page 36
Copyright 2002,
http://www.keepandbeararms.com/images/gunfacts.pdf

The data on this page has footnoted sources.

Your right, I made up the "about 90%" figure on the spot. The actual figure is 92%.

"Fact: Of the 2,500,000 times citizens use their guns to defend themselves every year, 92% merely brandish their gun or fire a warning shot to scare off their attackers."

Copyright 2002,

No wonder liberals are so quick to ban guns, because in 92% of the cases, gun owners use guns improperly and illegally. A few big issues come to mind when thinking about brandishing:
1. Never point a gun at something you do not intend to destroy.
2. Escalating the level of force used in a situation is a quick way to end up dead or in jail.
3. Menacing- depending on the state, it can range from a misdemeanor to a felony. In Colorado, if you verbally threaten somebody, or physically threaten them (aka brandish), you will be put in jail.
4. A gun is not a toy to wave around to get what you want. It is a tool to be used when all other options have run out and your death is presumed to be imminent and unavoidable without firing your gun.

Deserteagle:244067 said:

Copyright 2002,

No wonder liberals are so quick to ban guns, because in 92% of the cases, gun owners use guns improperly and illegally. A few big issues come to mind when thinking about brandishing:
1. Never point a gun at something you do not intend to destroy.
2. Escalating the level of force used in a situation is a quick way to end up dead or in jail.
3. Menacing- depending on the state, it can range from a misdemeanor to a felony. In Colorado, if you verbally threaten somebody, or physically threaten them (aka brandish), you will be put in jail.
4. A gun is not a toy to wave around to get what you want. It is a tool to be used when all other options have run out and your death is presumed to be imminent and unavoidable without firing your gun.

You don't know how many of those times the BG had a weapon, there were multiple assailants, etc. Known as the Lesser of Two Evils defense (i.e. not an illegal use) Obviously firing a warning shot is a bad idea.

Check your local self defense laws, your mileage may vary.

Having good gun laws is only half the equation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back