How long should it take to get my CCW in Florida?

Greetings ocalacarry,

Mine took nineteen calendar days the first time I applied and I was in Ocala at the time. The second time (I was working outside of the States so mine permanently expired) it took sixteen calendar days.

Best wishes and good luck!

8 days wow, I mailed mine on feb 28th and the check just cleared today, called and the automated message said it could be another 6 to 8 weeks. It took 4 weeks like the forms stated for the application to be received so I am under the assumption it will take the full time to process also.

Figure I will be calling the automated line every week, I will know that tracking number by heart haha.

My fingerprint card was sent back from the FBI as "illegible" so I just got prints done again yesterday and mailed. It's about six weeks from initial submission. I guess I'm starting over now.

My turn around time was fast. Living in CT.

Sent app in 3/1/12

Issued 3/27/12

Received 4/2/12
:shout: :happy:

I had my appointment on the 13th of May 2010 and had the permit in hand on the 19th of May

Hope yours is fast too!

PS it is good for 7 years

I went to the Dept. of Agriculture office in Tampa, took the test, got electronically fingerprinted, photo taken, etc.
Permit was in my hands 10 days later.
You do have to call and make an appointment, and the lead time is about 8 weeks, but its worth it because they take care of everything right there.
You can do all the stuff yourself, but guess what? Its going to take about 8 to 10 weeks anyway.

I'm in Florida and it took 8 work days last November. My wife's took 6 weeks but her finger prints were rejected for being unreadable. Once the prints were resubmitted her card came in in 5 days. All done electronically.

Called and checked status today.. Issued, printed and mailed, that was 7 days after the 4 weeks it took for them to receive and start processing, recording said 2 weeks for delivery, will update when it arrives.

**Update
Received it in the mail yesterday, total time from when it went in the mail till received in the mail was about a month and a half.

Last edited:
I submitted my application late February (about the 26th). Received license in the mail April 24th.. Not bad actually since the first set of prints were sent back from FBI as unreadable. Submitted second set within a day or two of when they notified me. So 60 days seems reasonable considering the unreadable prints and speed of USPS.

Good luck to all.

I submitted my application late February (about the 26th). Received license in the mail April 24th.. Not bad actually since the first set of prints were sent back from FBI as unreadable. Submitted second set within a day or two of when they notified me. So 60 days seems reasonable considering the unreadable prints and speed of USPS.

Good luck to all.

Was this for a Florida or NY CCW ?

I applied on the 16th, in person at the West Palm Beach location. Payment was by Money Order. (Checks supposedly delay the process)

On the 23rd (7 days later) the status recording said "Processed, Printed and Mailed" ( I was just curious)

But the recording also states it should arrive in 2-4 weeks?
That parts is a bit confusing as mail delivery within Florida is not 2 - 4 weeks. It is 3 days max.

So if it was really "mailed" on the 23rd and mail delivery time anywhere in Florida is 3 days max, I would expect today to be the last day it could arrive in that time frame.
If it does not arrive today, that would probably indicate there is a discrepancy somewhere between what the Licensing department calls "mailed" and the actual mailing date.
It may be that "mailed" actually means your application has been completed and has passed....but may not necessary be factually "mailed" yet. I would imagine they have their hands full.

I'll post back the date it actually arrives.

Because I don't really care when it arrives, this is mostly info for those a little less patient.
As long as I get it by August I'm good. After that, I'll get antsy ;-)

i mailed my application out to tallahassee on may 6th they got it may 9th according to the return receipt on the certified mail
i wrote personal check so that will delay it somewhat as expected most likely two weeks on the check thing alone so i guess i'll just wait and see when it comes
i mailed my sons the same day and way so time will tell i'll let ya know when it arrives but i can wait i still need to get gear and stuff before carrying anyways meanwhile i keep spray and a knife handy when i go shopping and out and about

In Florida it's always better to apply in person at one of the local licensing offices. Mailing your application usually means at least 3 months....and that's if nothing is wrong with your app (i.e. all questions answered, legible fingerprints, etc.). I've heard countless stories of people waiting up to 6 months after they mailed it. In person usually means 10-14 days (mine took 11).

i just followed the instruction the instructor gave
they did everything at the gun show class; gave me all the paperwork- we filled it all out in class and were fingerprinted and papers were notarized too in that class so all i had to do was insert my check and mail it off which i did two days after the class

i just followed the instruction the instructor gave
they did everything at the gun show class; gave me all the paperwork- we filled it all out in class and were fingerprinted and papers were notarized too in that class so all i had to do was insert my check and mail it off which i did two days after the class

Many instructors and their retail sponsors won't mention the offices because they use the "We'll take your picture and your fingerprints for you" sales pitch as a hook to get customers. The local/regional licensing offices will do all that for you at no additional cost, but most instructors/retailers don't want applicants to know that. Also at the office, the application is electronic and it won't let you file if it's incomplete (and the fingerprints are also electronic and get approved for use instantly - no more having some clerk looking at your ink prints and deciding they're not clear enough) and once you're done with your app it instantly goes into the system....no waiting for some drone in Tallahassee to punch in your info on a computer. That's the main reason the wait time is measured in days when you do it at the licensing office as opposed to a wait time of months when filing by mail.

I occasionally work gun shows for an FFL friend of mine. I frequently see applicants wandering around with their paperwork. I always tell them to make an appointment at an office. 99% of them are completely unaware that such an option is available to them.

Anyone have an idea how long it's taking now? Mailed, check cashed 1st week of November. All I get when I follow up is the recording that it is "being processed". Recording says it's taking 4 to 8 weeks. Hoping to get it by Christmas as we are snowbirds.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back