How long should it take to get my CCW in Florida?

I took more than three months for me. I had a prior some thirty years ago when I lived in Ohio. When I call the Dept of Agri here in FL they told me to contact the clerk of courts in OH. I had to make maybe 3 calls to get them to send me a copy of the court doc. The woman in OH that took care of it told me it took longer than normal because back then everything was hand written into a big book, now a days it's all digital.

Even though most of the posts here are very old I thought I would update those who may have recently submitted their paperwork. IF you go to one of the regional offices and have everything correct, 59 days has been the recent average for the several people I know personally.

The State of Florida has announced that it will expedite concealed weapons permits fo

For your information. Good luck:

The State of Florida has announced that it will expedite concealed weapons permits for active duty military and veterans. A concealed weapons permit would allow a military member or veteran to carry such weapons outside of military installations in the state. The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Affairs said its goal is to issue licenses to qualified active military and veterans within 30 days, a third of the time allotted by law. For information on applying for a concealed weapons permit in the State of Florida, visit the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services website. :smile:

Weapons Permits for Vets Expedited in Florida | Military.com

It was @ three years ago, I went into the Tampa main office, they took it all on the

computer, prints, photo, etc. I had my permit in about 3-1/2 weeks.

I am in Florida too

I live in Florida and have already submitted everything. Does it really take 90 days?

I am in Florida and went to Clearwater Fast Track and they did fingers prints electronically and the application was also electronically and that was on the 2nd of Feb and I am still waiting but i have heard that the office in Tampa you walk out with your license in hand not sure how true that is?

Just got mine in eight days, Sent it in on Thurs, Aug 18th and it arrived on Thurs, Aug 25th.

I sent in a Gander Mountain Course Completion and my USAF DD214.

Haven't carried yet, I wanted to get around the three day wait when buying another handgun. I will carry when needed.

Just got mine in eight days, Sent it in on Thurs, Aug 18th and it arrived on Thurs, Aug 25th.

I sent in a Gander Mountain Course Completion and my USAF DD214.

Haven't carried yet, I wanted to get around the three day wait when buying another handgun. I will carry when needed.

Congrats on getting your permission slip, but tell us please, how do you know ahead of time when carrying will be needed?

Well, in 77 years I figured if I stick to picking up bags of feed for the horses, picking up a quart of milk at Publix and other boring but low chance encounter places my chances of trouble is pretty low.

If I travel across the state or frequent dangerous areas, I will have firepower.

To a LEO who comes into a situation where two individuals are armed and he doesn't know which is the good guy, it could turn out badly for me.

I plan not to get paranoid and try to avoid th yo-yo scenario of being able to carry in one building but not the other. If I have a gun with me in my pickup a choice can then be made to pack or not when I exit the vehicle.

Well, in 77 years I figured if I stick to picking up bags of feed for the horses, picking up a quart of milk at Publix and other boring but low chance encounter places my chances of trouble is pretty low.

If I travel across the state or frequent dangerous areas, I will have firepower.

To a LEO who comes into a situation where two individuals are armed and he doesn't know which is the good guy, it could turn out badly for me.

I plan not to get paranoid and try to avoid th yo-yo scenario of being able to carry in one building but not the other. If I have a gun with me in my pickup a choice can then be made to pack or not when I exit the vehicle.

Please educate yourself on the topic of carrying a firearm and make your decisions based on facts and not fiction, myths and preconceived notions that do not have a basis in reality.

We never know when and where we will encounter a deadly threat. It may be very well at the local gas station that gets robbed by two escaped inmates that are just passing though town. Your gun wont do you any good when it is in the car or at home while you are just running a quick errant and just by chance stumble into a robbery. There are many, many other scenarios like this that can happen and that actually do happen to people.

I am not sure what you mean with your LEO comment. Keep your gun holstered until the need arises to use it to defend yourself. When confronted by a LEO, follow the LEOs lawful commands. The side of the road is not the place to have an argument with a LEO, whether you are armed or not.

Always carry. In the rare event that you have to enter a gun-free zone, lock your gun up in the car in a separate lockbox (to prevent a quick smash and grab job).

Read this: Why you should ALWAYS carry
Read this: The Importance of Carrying Your Gun 100% of The Time
Read this: Link Removed
Watch this:

The original question for this thread was about how long does it take to get a FLORIDA CCW. I live in FLORIDA and gave my reply.

So far two guys, from other states, have taken this as an opportunity to turn this into a lecture on when to carry and this is rapidly going downhill.

My apologies to the OP for causing this thread deviation.

The original question for this thread was about how long does it take to get a FLORIDA CCW. I live in FLORIDA and gave my reply.

So far two guys, from other states, have taken this as an opportunity to turn this into a lecture on when to carry and this is rapidly going downhill.

The thread deviation was caused by us and not you. If you don't want to take advice from people who have lost someone because that person decided not to carry that day, that's your problem. This forum has an educational purpose and advice is given by members like you and me free of charge. You are free to ignore advice you don't like. You are also free to oppose posts you don't like. There is nothing in our or your posts to indicate that things are "rapidly going downhill". Chill out!

The OP was put here in 2012 by a poster who hasn't posted since 2013. Laws have obviously changed since it took 90 days to get a permission slip back in 2012, and you got yours in eight days. I doubt apologies are necessary in any case. The OP most likely didn't read your answer or your off-topic announcement that you'll carry "when needed."

I asked you a simple question. I gave no lecture, though I admit I was tempted. I live in the farthest South Eastern county of AL and go to FL at least three or four times a month. Since our states have reciprocity, it isn't necessary for me to have a non-resident permission slip from FL, but I do have to know the laws since I carry there whenever I go. Whatever "lecture" you perceived from my asking how you know in advance when you will "need to carry," it would've been a lecture on good practices and tactics for defensive handgunning, and that's all. It would not be intended as a personal affront, and I know from years of interaction with bofh that the same is true for him.

When four-year-old threads with 70+ posts in 'em get resurrected from the dead, rarely were they on-topic when they died, nor do they stay on-topic after being resurrected very often. I asked a simple question about something you said and it was you who went off on a tangent about "paranoia" and how things could go bad for you with cops and what not. Like bofh, I had no idea what that even alluded to in response to my simple question, so I left it alone. Bofh covered everything I would've covered and more if I was going to follow you down your tangent, but besides being given to arguing over perceived lectures that were never given, you seem a bit overly-touchy about someone deigning to give you what amounts to excellent advice, even for a 77 year old man who's made it this far without it, so I'm glad I didn't try to help you learn good practices and tactics for defensive handgunning. I also didn't lecture you though, so now, only 4 posts into your time here at USA Carry, would be a good time to stop telling lies.

Good luck.

Blues

I am on quite a few gun forums and have never been so "talked-down to" by anyone before.

You two come on like steamrollers and now one of you says I'm a liar.

Since you don't know my lifestyle, maybe I can shed some light on why I don't feel the necessity to carry all of the time.

My retired lifestyle is driving a short distance to my son's place every day to muck out the stables and feed the horses. I also mow the lawns with my garden tractor, chain sawing trees that blow over or drop limbs, build or repair fences, take care of any plumbing or electrical problems and keep an eye out for coyotes and rattlesnakes.

My wife has numerous medical problems and most medical places in Florida frown on guns so I don't want to go crazy trying to figure out if I'm legal or not.

If I go somewhere that has the potential for danger I will be ready.

In my house there is a .40 with me at all times.

I am on quite a few gun forums and have never been so "talked-down to" by anyone before.

You two come on like steamrollers and now one of you says I'm a liar.

Since you don't know my lifestyle, maybe I can shed some light on why I don't feel the necessity to carry all of the time.

My retired lifestyle is driving a short distance to my son's place every day to muck out the stables and feed the horses. I also mow the lawns with my garden tractor, chain sawing trees that blow over or drop limbs, build or repair fences, take care of any plumbing or electrical problems and keep an eye out for coyotes and rattlesnakes.

My wife has numerous medical problems and most medical places in Florida frown on guns so I don't want to go crazy trying to figure out if I'm legal or not.

If I go somewhere that has the potential for danger I will be ready.

In my house there is a .40 with me at all times.

You said I lectured you. That is a lie. I asked a one-sentence question and didn't respond to your response until after you told the lie that I had lectured you.

Coyotes and rattlesnakes are simply another good reason to carry at all times, and that was your own idea. I have no clue why you're so defensive.

Blues, you and bofh jumped on my reply and I lumped it all together.

You started out with
"Congrats on getting your permission slip, but tell us please, how do you know ahead of time when carrying will be needed?"

The way you wrote it, calling my license a permission slip and the tone of the rest led me to believe you were trying to belittle my personal view of when I choose to carry. I wrote feature articles for over twenty five years on radio control models and have a pretty good feel for when someone is trying to slip in a barb.

Then bofh jumped with his superior attitude and concluding I was operating from myths when he knows nothing of my daily routine and my need to carry.

Blues, you and bofh jumped on my reply and I lumped it all together.

You started out with
"Congrats on getting your permission slip, but tell us please, how do you know ahead of time when carrying will be needed?"

The way you wrote it, calling my license a permission slip and the tone of the rest led me to believe you were trying to belittle my personal view of when I choose to carry. I wrote feature articles for over twenty five years on radio control models and have a pretty good feel for when someone is trying to slip in a barb.

Then bofh jumped with his superior attitude and concluding I was operating from myths when he knows nothing of my daily routine and my need to carry.

My comments were entirely based on your original post. Your comments about only carrying in dangerous areas, LEO interaction, being paranoid, and the "yo-yo scenario" are based on fiction, myths and preconceived notions. I pointed those out in my post with educational links in the hopes you would realize that.

Instead, you simply feel that you have been attacked. Why? I have no idea. How about reading and understanding what I posted? Please take the time to read and understand the content of my previous post and of the links I posted. There are stories of people that died because they thought they were in a safe area and didn't had the need to carry. There are also stories of survivors that did carry that dreadful day because no day is a day off.

You have served the country and you have certainly experience with your age. Does that mean you are an experienced gun carrier and gun fighter in civilian life? Your own post did not indicate that. You are free to educate us with your opinions. After all, that's what this forum is about.

Your choice of words are important. Just because Blues and I responded to your post, does not mean you can lump us together in your response. Blues did not lecture you. You may accuse me of that. My reply would be: Yes, I did, because I felt it was necessary for the already mentioned reasons.

A carry permit is a "permission slip" for a right that we already supposed to have. However, we have to ask the government for permission to exercise this right and we have to pay a tax to exercise this right. No other constitutional right is treated like this. Blues comment was not meant to belittle you, but just to state the sad state of the country.

This link, www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf, lists all the places in Florida that are off limits when carrying. Hospitals and medical facilities are often posted with "NO WEAPONS" signs. However, they do not have the force of law. So, if you are accidentally walking into a gun-free zone, you are not immediately breaking the law in Florida. I already offered you the solution to lock your gun up in the car in a separate lockbox (to prevent a quick smash and grab job), if you feel the need to disarm. A Link Removed underneath and tied to the driver or passenger seat is a good solution for that. The glove box or center console, not so much. That's where any thief looks first.

If you can't take criticism, maybe you shouldn't be posting on the Internet. None of my criticism is meant as a personal attack. If you feel that you have been personally attacked, then you have a problem.

Blues..... You started out with

That is not what I "started out with," that was entirety of my reply.

The way you wrote it, calling my license a permission slip

Like I said before, a bit overly-touchy you are. I call it a permission slip because that's exactly what it is - permission by your state's government to carry a weapon for self defense, something which would not be needed if your or my, or 40-some-odd other states respected our so-called "rights" and didn't put a price on them, or require permission for us to exercise them. It's a political statement, not a barb directed at you personally. If you start following me around in other threads like you did bofh, you'll see that that's pretty much the only way I have ever referred to permission slips on this forum, and I was among the first hundred or so to join here in 2007.

...and the tone of the rest led me to believe you were trying to belittle my personal view of when I choose to carry.

The "tone?" I responded only to what you said and asked a pertinent question, beyond politely I might add, based entirely on it. It is what is expected to happen on these things we call "discussion forums." Only someone overly defensive about ever being asked a question about their carry decisions would seek to apply a belittling "tone" to a question that says "...please, how do you know ahead of time when carrying will be needed?"

I wrote feature articles for over twenty five years on radio control models and have a pretty good feel for when someone is trying to slip in a barb.

Your barb-o'-meter is in serious need of calibration. You created your "feel" and my "tone" out of thin air, and then came at me as though I had actually said things consistent with what your broken barb-o'-meter was telling you. And you're still doing it. Imagine how many people you may have similarly assumed things of that weren't true over a 25 year career, as if that little factoid has anything at all to do with give-and-take discussions on a modern internet discussion forum to begin with.

Bofh can defend against your wild imagination and overly touchy nature if he chooses, which I'd say he seems to have already concluded is not worth his time. You admit that you lumped together two different posts by two different posters that had absolutely no resemblance to each other at all. And your "tone" doesn't strike me as conciliatory in any way to mischaracterizing, or even simply misunderstanding, my one-sentence post containing a question asking you to clarify something that you said. There was no preconceived notions apparent in the way I asked the question, it was just a question, the answer that you gave being completely left alone by me until you started exaggerating about it being a "lecture" to you.

You've been blowing what I said out of all proportion since the beginning. Someone trying to debunk the accusation that they're WAY oversensitive and WAY too touchy about absolutely nothing, would serve their own best interests of perception by others reading this scintillating exchange at this point, by simply dropping it.

Blues

ETA: I see that bofh replied while I was writing this reply. Cool. Something interesting to read in this thread now.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back