How do you store your ammo?

jtp

I was trying to find a way to stash my ammo that was cost effective (there has been an increase of break-ins in my neighborhood) to store my ammo. I have a small safe to lock up my pistols in, but I didn't have a place to store my ammo. Well, I was standing in my kitchen trying to decide what to do with an old computer and suddenly I had a great idea. Here are the pictures. Tell me what your thoughts are!

Link Removed

Link Removed

Hey jtp: Good case but only problem is theft proofing; thieves will go to such a case like bees to honey. I definitely believe that the ammo should be stored in the house and not in the garage or basement because of heat/cold/humidity changes, which just cannot be the best of environments. My homemade solution is as follows: You know those big plastic cases that come with a rechargeable drill kit? I removed the plastic innards (a little work but not impossible) and it leaves me with a big plastic case suitable for ammo. I have a cardboard box (typical kind that used to hold something like fruit from a grocery store) that I keep in the laundry room and put old newspapers into it before I take a load of them out to garage for recycle container. This big plastic case fits nicely into the bottom of the cardboard box and then I just pile the newspapers on top of it like I did before. Sure a thief might somehow upset the box etc and find the plastic case and the ammo but I am betting that if I had a breakin, a thief would have better places to look then thinking about a pile of old newspapers in a laundry room. I do think, however, that your computer case will get a look a lot quicker than my pile of newspapers. If you place the computer case into a cardboard box like the one I described and use it for some garbage purpose like I do, then I would think the case is probably a lot safer. The key to me was to hide the case in the house in a way that seems to be a normal other purpose. I do not know where you live but for most thieves it is a smash and grab operation--if it is visible they will take it---find that visible "place" in the house that just does not look like much of anything in the context of your normal house routine and hide it underneath mundane "stuff".

+1 for kelcarry

Although the computer case doesn't scream "Ammo Here", the brand of the case makes it a highly sought target in it's own right. Then the padlock makes me think "Hmmmm, wonder why they have a padlock on it"? Think: when was the last time you saw a PC with a padlock on it? Just throws another red flag.

I like kelcarry's idea. Mundane case, mundane location. KISS. Or if you keep a full grocery cupboard, 5 pack of cans boxes behind the regular cans. That sort of thing...

In a well secured closet in 30 and 50 cal ammo cans with descant packages in each can. Each can labeled not only with caliber but also type i.e. carry or shooting ammo. I do not worry to much about hiding my ammo. Instead I have done what I can to make my whole house a hard target. If the BG can get past nosy neighbors, my security bars, double dead bolt locks ,the most advanced security system, cctv, dogs, well armed home owners and a few other security measures and still be alive to tell about it then they are so professional they should be on Mission Impossible.

Secure ammo

Ammo, as much as guns, needs to be secured from theft. Just make it difficult ot get. I've seen STACKON brand of storage cabinets that would work well. I keep my pistol ammo in a full size safe. The shotgun and rifle stuff in a metal wardrobe cabinet with a hasp long bar lock. It's not theft proof but it is resistant. Most of the other stuff(ears,cleaning supplies, holsters,targets,etc in the wardrobe. I might add that if your ammo stock fits in a computer case, you definitely need a bigger ammo budget.

I keep my ammo in ammo boxes. Don't have desiccant service but put a light coat of petroleum jelly on the gasket about every six months or so to keep from drying out. 1 bx 7.62 NATO, the other a NAVY LAMPS Helo Flare ammo box. Forgot what MK number it is. I keep them in the closet, part of my BOB accessories. As for security, I'm not spending ten thousand dollars. It's all insured. They want it that bad, there's nothing I can do to stop them.......As long as I'm not home. BUT if I am, let their conscience be their guide, mine will be a 45.

Who is John Galt?

Great idea, but may create other problems. You would be better off placing the ammo into an old suitcase in your closet. Ideally, you would have a safe or at minimum a lock box to secure your ammo. I have two identical gun safes. One contains ammo, the other contains the firearms.

gf

I currently have no safe of any sort. But in the near future I plan to build a vault-like door for one of the rooms in my basement, making the entire room a safe. Once that happens, I can really start working towards...Link Removed

Any way, as far as ammo storage... like HK said, ammo cans with desiccant packets. Not only are they air tight, they stack well, and they can take a beating.

this may be a really dumb question, but how much ammo for your guns should you really have? i have bout 4-5 hundred rounds.......... all high quality and are for personal defense not range ammo.

this may be a really dumb question, but how much ammo for your guns should you really have? i have bout 4-5 hundred rounds.......... all high quality and are for personal defense not range ammo.
That is a matter of personal preference. I personally would say keep packing some away now and then, but then some people call me a hoarder.

Hey Y'all: Hey utimmer43--is that your room or Charlton Heston's room? Hey mappow---you sort of give up on the theft as if "whatever will be will be". Most house thefts are smash and grab, in and out real quick, if you see it grab it etc. At least my tactic, per my previous post, is to put the ammo in a case and find a location that is literally in eyesight but placed in a very mundane and utilitarian way. Sure they may throw around my pile of newspapers looking for what is underneath, but it sure is better than leaving the ammo in a case that is begging to be opened or an ammo box that is screaming to be opened. It dosen't take any longer for me to use my method than it does for you to use your method--why lose the ammo? Just sayin. Different strokes different folks.

You can't beat Ammo cans! I've had ammo, powder and primers stored in some for over 25 years and never had a problem with any of it.

This is some of my ammo. I ran out of room on this rack a while back.:biggrin:
Link Removed

Hey utimmer43--is that your room or Charlton Heston's room?
LOL, What I was saying is that will be my goal once I build my vault door.

Yeah, that is one of the pics that have been floating around claiming to have been Heston's basement. There are also a lot of "sources" discrediting that claim. Regardless, it is an impressive collection. An inspiration, if you will.

Looking at Red Hats storage racks now I know why there is an ammo shortage. I think we should all go over to his house for supplies. How many rounds do you think are there Red Hat?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back