Gay Marriage

kn1080

There has been alot of news lately, specifically on the ladies who underwent some sort of a ceremony that enabled them to say there were married in Massachusetts. Now, The state of Pennsylvania says that they will not grant a divorce to the couple because they were never married.

This gay marriage thing just doesnt make any sense to me. It completely escapes my mind how two people of the same sex can claim that they are "Married".

I guess what I fail to see is why anybody cares what two consenting adults choose to do or what to call their relationship.

I think the government needs to stay out of family affairs; the only place a marriage should be affirmed is with the family and friends of the couple -- a public ceremony like a church service or other gathering of their custom or choice. The only place it should be recorded is among family and friends documents like a public announcement of family bible - again per tradition.

The government needs to lessen its infringement into our lives.

I think the reason people are so upset about this issue is that some feel, allowing this type of behavior to continue would contribute to a further moral decay within American Society. That is an argument for asking the government to regulate this type of behavior (much like drug use). One of the purposes of Government was to protect the people. Its arguable as to whether the people need to be protected from this type of invasion or whether its a way of life that should be accepted with a libertarian sortof view for americas governmental purpose.

My personal opinion is that marriage is a sacred institution and allowing this type of perversion of the institution would take away from its sanctity. I think that some behaviors need to be regulated in order to protect an ethical way of life. Examples of those behaviors (in my respectful opinion) could include: Homosexuality, drug use, beastiality and there are many many more... I just cant pull them out of this sleepy brain at 2:30 in the morning.

Come on, KN, you can do better than that!

I think the reason people are so upset about this issue is that some feel, allowing this type of behavior to continue would contribute to a further moral decay within American Society. That is an argument for asking the government to regulate this type of behavior (much like drug use). One of the purposes of Government was to protect the people. Its arguable as to whether the people need to be protected from this type of invasion or whether its a way of life that should be accepted with a libertarian sortof view for americas governmental purpose.

My personal opinion is that marriage is a sacred institution and allowing this type of perversion of the institution would take away from its sanctity. I think that some behaviors need to be regulated in order to protect an ethical way of life. Examples of those behaviors (in my respectful opinion) could include: Homosexuality, drug use, beastiality and there are many many more... I just cant pull them out of this sleepy brain at 2:30 in the morning.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I am a professional Libertarian. Do not try these opinions at home. :wink:

While I respect your right to a personal opinion (and you are a heck of a nice guy), I have to disagree with a few of your points.

First, marriage as a sacred institution exists only within the confines of the church. Therefore, if your particular flavor of worship decides that they will not respect gay marriage, then they should not marry any homosexuals. However, if the church down the road decides that two people in love have the right to be married, who are YOU to tell them what they can or can't do? One person's perversion is another person's favorite Friday night activity. If the act is occurring between two consenting adults, why does it hurt any of the rest of us?

(The big YOU is just because we are dialogging, not because I have a problem with the person that is KN1080):biggrin:

I think that the danger comes when you start advocating the regulation of the behaviors of others when those behaviors do not infringe on your own liberties. I would find it far more ethical to let adults have the freedom of choice to do what they wish, provided they are not infringing on the rights of others. After all, if you let them regulate sexuality, how long do you think that it will take them to regulate religion "for our own good"?

As for your three examples of unethical behaviors, homosexuality and drug use are both consenting activities; i.e. one wishing to engage in these activities are, by the very nature of engaging in them, consenting. Bestiality, on the other hand, involves sexual acts with an animal that can not consent.

I do find it funny, though, that we can eat a pig, but we can't $&*@ a pig. I am sure that if the pig could speak, Mr. or Ms. Piggy would probably opt for the latter if it meant staying alive. :sarcastic:

I don't really care who wants to do what with whom, as long as they all agree and don't hurt anyone. We recognize so many different marriages (polygamy, arranged marriage between children, purchased brides, etc.), I fail to see why this one upsets so many people. Personally, I object to parents giving young child brides to old men, but nobody says this shouldn't be called marriage.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I am a professional Libertarian. Do not try these opinions at home. :wink:

While I respect your right to a personal opinion (and you are a heck of a nice guy), I have to disagree with a few of your points.

First, marriage as a sacred institution exists only within the confines of the church. Therefore, if your particular flavor of worship decides that they will not respect gay marriage, then they should not marry any homosexuals. However, if the church down the road decides that two people in love have the right to be married, who are YOU to tell them what they can or can't do? One person's perversion is another person's favorite Friday night activity. If the act is occurring between two consenting adults, why does it hurt any of the rest of us?

(The big YOU is just because we are dialogging, not because I have a problem with the person that is KN1080):biggrin:

I think that the danger comes when you start advocating the regulation of the behaviors of others when those behaviors do not infringe on your own liberties. I would find it far more ethical to let adults have the freedom of choice to do what they wish, provided they are not infringing on the rights of others. After all, if you let them regulate sexuality, how long do you think that it will take them to regulate religion "for our own good"?

As for your three examples of unethical behaviors, homosexuality and drug use are both consenting activities; i.e. one wishing to engage in these activities are, by the very nature of engaging in them, consenting. Bestiality, on the other hand, involves sexual acts with an animal that can not consent.

I do find it funny, though, that we can eat a pig, but we can't $&*@ a pig. I am sure that if the pig could speak, Mr. or Ms. Piggy would probably opt for the latter if it meant staying alive. :sarcastic:

You crack me up! I really enjoy it when I get to debate with people like you. Inteligent AND respectful. Looking forward to our next "lunch adventure" buddy!

I can keep a secret, too!

You crack me up! I really enjoy it when I get to debate with people like you. Inteligent AND respectful. Looking forward to our next "lunch adventure" buddy!

See, I didn't even mention how, at the 2nd Amendment march in D.C., the trans-gendered representative of the California Pink Pistols kept chasing you around trying to chat you up.....

um...... whoops.....

Well, if it helps any, KN was not interested, but quite polite about it.

Incidentally, tell RicBak to tell you about running into her after dinner at the hotel..... :sarcastic: Seriously!

See, I didn't even mention how, at the 2nd Amendment march in D.C., the trans-gendered representative of the California Pink Pistols kept chasing you around trying to chat you up.....

um...... whoops.....

Well, if it helps any, KN was not interested, but quite polite about it.

Incidentally, tell RicBak to tell you about running into her after dinner at the hotel..... :sarcastic: Seriously!

LOL. She was a big, big dude!

Marriage, since long before the time of Christ, has been sanctified by the church. Personally I believe marriage is between a man and a woman. That being said, I also believe same sex civil unions are up to the individuals. It's not for us to judge in matters of morality that's the Almighty's job. The problem comes when one state allows same sex marriage and another state does not. If a same sex couple was married in a state that allows it and moves to a state that doesn't how can they expect to get a divorce in that state? Their marriage was not recognized there in the first place. As with any other law, learn those of the state you intend to live in before deciding to move there.

I don't really care who wants to do what with whom, as long as they all agree and don't hurt anyone. We recognize so many different marriages (polygamy, arranged marriage between children, purchased brides, etc.), I fail to see why this one upsets so many people. Personally, I object to parents giving young child brides to old men, but nobody says this shouldn't be called marriage.

There are a couple of areas where this gets into government - child adoption and insurance (which the government should stay out of but they aren't going to so...)

Outside of that it's a "big end little end" debate IMO.

There are a couple of areas where this gets into government - child adoption and insurance (which the government should stay out of but they aren't going to so...)

Outside of that it's a "big end little end" debate IMO.

Im not comfortable at all with a same sex couple adopting a child. As much love as Im sure they can provide the child, the children could see this behavior and begin to think that this choice for a lifestyle is acceptable and moral. I really feel that we need to protect the children and assure they are shown an appropriate way of life.

Im not comfortable at all with a same sex couple adopting a child. As much love as Im sure they can provide the child, the children could see this behavior and begin to think that this choice for a lifestyle is acceptable and moral. I really feel that we need to protect the children and assure they are shown an appropriate way of life.

Agreed

I dont know what your thinking... But I had to leave my firearm at home and was afraid I was about to get my butt kicked! Thats why I stayed by YOUR side. We looked like a couple. LOL

I must have been down at the Vietnam Wall with Rickbac when all this "Love" was happening.:blink:

Peace...

Damn, I'm real sorry not to have made this trip; sounds like you guys really bonded! :biggrin:

Oh you were missed big fella, don't feel like you were not...:cray:

Some time soon we'll all dress in pink with our pistols.:unsure: OK maybe not, but we will have to get together..

Peace...

JJ... It feels like you were there. Everyone talked about you so much its difficult to remember that you missed it. Haven't you noticed that your included in the banter just as much as all of us who were there? Your physical absense does not protect you from our ridicule and victimization. Remember that!

JJ... It feels like you were there. Everyone talked about you so much its difficult to remember that you missed it. Haven't you noticed that your included in the banter just as much as all of us who were there? Your physical absense does not protect you from our ridicule and victimization. Remember that!

Ahhh..."ridicule and victimization" from your brothers...does it get any better than that?

Psst, homosexuality is not a choice. During the time it takes you to read this, at least one baby who will grow up to be a homosexual will be born.

Same sex couples have raised many children with very good results.

KN, what is it you are "protecting" the children from?

Perhaps, you should know the difference between pedophiles, and homosexuals. They are almost never the same. Just Google those topics, and become enlightened.

What is a lifestyle, that is acceptable, and Moral? Do you live in Utopia?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back