Do you notify the front desk person at a hotel that you have a CCW Permit?

Do you inform the front desk about your CCW at check-in?

• Total voters
I find that statement uneducated, you have a right to your opinion on LEO, however to compare civilians to LEO, is not even in the same league, due to the fact, if you witness a crime in progress (ex. Robbery, theft,assault, murder), you do not have the "duty" to act, however LEO is required by the law and oath to take a react.

Ummm.... no. LEO is required by the job that they chose to take to react. Taxi drivers are required by the job they chose to take to be exposed to 4x the danger of getting shot and killed on the job than a cop is. So, if our lawfully carried guns are such a danger to cops that we feel the need to tell them about our guns and our licenses on first contact, "to reduce their stress", "out of courtesy", "to make them feel at ease".... than why not notify the taxi driver, or the hotel clerk for exactly the same reasons?

It appears as if the people who say YES to cops and NO to hotel clerks and taxi drivers are not informing cops for the benefit of the cop. Otherwise, why the hesitation to tell those in professions more likely to get shot? It looks like those people are telling cops in order to make themselves have a better image, to prove their innocence, to get out of a ticket and possibly for some to add a little spit shine to the boot or polish to the badge.

I carry a gun for self-protection. I don't carry my gun to score points with anyone (other than my family). If a hotel clerk, or a taxi driver, or a cop wants to see if I am carrying a gun, they can look on my belt and see it, and if they want to know why I am carrying a gun, they can ask (and I might not even answer them). In matters related to my gun, taxi drivers, hotel clerks, and cops are equal - they will be informed/handle my gun only to the minimum extent required by law to do so and, in the performance of their official duties never with my consent.

You should try to keep your posts free of Ad Hominum attacks. If you didagree with someone, attack his argument, not him.
Thanks

Thanks Fudo, I had no worries and am secure enough that I can keep it civil here. I simply found the question of whether or not you tell the pimple faced teenage clerk or anyone there at the desk of a motel that you have a CCW permit a humoruous one, and wondered if the author was playing a trick on us. I honestly thought he was playing a joke on us! No harm done, I hope. :)

My answer is "no", I do not tell any hotel clerk I'm carrying. Nor do I tell a restaurant manager, gas station clerk, bus driver, cab driver, dry cleaner, caterer, UPS/FedEx shipping clerk or movie theater ticket counter clerk.

As always, the less said, the better. As for the local city cops, I'd guess many know I carry as we go to the same gun shops. But I don't have to tell them unless asked by law.

I fail to see why you even think this is a good question.

It's simple. There are many, many folks who suggest that if a law enformcement officer stops you for a traffic stop or whatever reason that you should immediately present your CPL, CCW, GWCL, whatever license to them and inform them of the location of any gun you might be carrying. THey claim all kinds of reasons for this including, but not limited to, "the officer just wants to go home safe at night", "it will put the officer at ease", "it will show the officer that you are good person", "officers have enough stress in their jobs already","it's a courtesy to the officer", etc, etc, etc.

So, the point of the question is: there are people in professions that are many times more likely to get shot at on the job than a cop is. So why is it that those exact same reasons don't justify telling these other people whom you may come into contact with in the course of their profession about your gun and license? Why is it more important for a police officer to feel all warm and fuzzy about your gun and not the driver when you get into a taxi cab considering that the taxi cab driver is 4 times more likely to be shot on the job than the cop is? Who knows, maybe if you tell the taxi cab driver and show them your license, maybe they will feel so relieved that they will leave the meter turned off for part of the ride or maybe you will get a free movie in the room from the hotel desk clerk.

Umm. Wow. The thought never occurred to me to want to tell any hotel employee about any of my possessions...

Now that it comes up, I do tell the pizza delivery man that I'm packing and have a safe full of firearms in my house. I tell my local 7/11 clerk to when I get to the counter,check out clerk at WalMart, Jiffy Lube worker who is changing my oil. Come to think of it anytime I go out with my firearm concealed I just hang a battery operated neon sign with flashing arrow that says "I'm Armed."

This has to be one of the dumbest threads started on this forum in years! Why the hell would you tell someone who has no need to even know about your "CONCEALED FIREARM" that your armed? If you feel compelled to tell everyone you meet that your carrying a concealed firearm, then just open carry the damn thing and be done with it.

Unless your looking for that ego booster of going around saying "Hey I have a gun, want to see my permit?"

On a side note are you ever able to make a comment or start a thread that is not about a god damn badge? It's so old already, find another way to up your post count!!!!

Well it's the same way with all of the people who say that you should always inform LEO's of your CCW status, because it's for officer safety, even though their state does not legally require it. It doesn't matter if it's a LEO, Cab Driver, or Night Auditor, why should I inform them if I am not legally required to do so?

Their reasoning for wanting to inform officers that they are armed is so they can avoid the overreaction on the officers part(face down,weapon drawn etc..) While yes you are correct in many states they are not bound to do so by any weight of law, they still choose to do so. Some do so out of respect for the officers others do so out of fear of the officers overreacting should they see their firearm.

Is it right that officers treat law abiding citizens in such a way, no it's wrong for them to treat you or I in such a way.

My wife was driving I was attempting to take a nap after a day at the in door range(shopping for her and the kids.) She ends up getting pulled over for something that was not our fault(VIP auto parts altered the inspection sticker they put on our car.) Cop starts talking to my wife telling her to come clean and tell him why she/we did it, it will go easier on you if you come clean etc... When that approach failed he tried the scare tactics, I can tow your car and impound it, this is a misdemeanor offense and I can fine you 1k etc.. Comes over to my side and asks me to get out, now by this time we had three cop cars with us on the side of the road. He starts talking to me trying to get me to admit to doing it, five to ten minutes later I reach into my wallet and hand him my permit. As I hand it to him I tell him "Here is this I don't want you to see my firearm and assume I'm breaking another law." He looks it over asks if it was loaded(it was not because I had just left the range.) After that it was a none issue, they photographed the car and took the sticker and gave us card in case we got stopped again on the way home. VIP told them they did it and we had nothing to do with it, so they let us go.

The only reason why I handed him my permit was he was already in the mindset of "they are criminals", he was not hearing that we had nothing to do with it. The last thing I needed was for him to place me in cuffs or worse take out his gun.

Their reasoning for wanting to inform officers that they are armed is so they can avoid the overreaction on the officers part(face down,weapon drawn etc..) While yes you are correct in many states they are not bound to do so by any weight of law, they still choose to do so. Some do so out of respect for the officers others do so out of fear of the officers overreacting should they see their firearm.

In most stories that I have read on the forums about cops overreacting about a gun it is because the person told them they were in possession of it in the first place.

Then there is "out of respect for the officers", which is the point we are trying to make in this discussion. If people tell cops about their guns "out of respect for the officer" then why not extend that same respect to others who are many times more likely to be killed by a gun on the job than cops are?

I don't even tell myself I'm carrying.

Here's a story for you - I stayed in a hotel I use regularly and know the morning manager. I had a Tactical Mossberg 12ga and M4 with me in two different hardcases that don't yell "guns" and used a hotel cart to make one trip to load up the vehicle that morning (I always keep my guns in the room with me, not in the vehicle in the parking lot). He saw the cases and asked about the shotgun case, which was on top. I told him it was my "Goosegun." He replied, "Now I scared" and sounded serious. I don't know if he was kidding or not, and ignored the remark. But it said to me there are a lot of folks out there that get 'nervous' when a gun is around. And I bet he would have been even more concerned if he knew about the 3rd gun IWB.

The guy that instructed my CCW class told us he makes a point of telling the security guard (if he goes someplace that has one)and getting permission.

I kept my mouth shut because he was getting my 90 bucks whether he signed my certificate or not

The only time an LEO should find out you're carrying, unless notification is required in your state, is when he begins a personal search and asks if you have and knives guns or drugs on you. That's when you say, "yes a firearm, my clod permit Is in my wallet sir."

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back