Do you notify the front desk person at a hotel that you have a CCW Permit?

Do you inform the front desk about your CCW at check-in?

• Total voters

Deanimator

Why on earth would you tell a total stranger, to whom you have no legal responsibility, that you're armed?

I don't like having to inform cops (in Ohio). There's certainly no duty to tell some private citizen.

If it's a CPZ, you shouldn't have the gun there in the first place. If it's not, it's literally none of their business.

Would you tell the counter person at Mcdonalds?

Deanimator

Why would you not inform a cop while getting a traffic ticket?
Because unless it's a statutory requirement, it's NONE OF HIS BUSINESS.

If I don't intend to shoot the cop, I'm not going to do it, notification or not.
If I do intend to shoot him, no notification requirement is going to stop me.

We're probably going to get rid of mandatory notification in Ohio because of abuse by cops, first in Beachwood, now famously in Canton.

Any cop who doesn't assume that EVERYBODY he stops COULD be armed AND intends to shoot him is clearly too stupid for the job.

Tin Can Sailor

Tin and Kevin, if you are not required by law to notify, would you tell an Leo?

Under what circumstances? I sure didn't mention it to the 2 cops at the fast food place today. In a traffic stop or some other formal contact I probably would if the circumstances dictated, but the question I was answering was whether I would inform a hotel employee, which is far different from a formal encounter with a peace officer.

Firefighterchen

OC for Tactical Advantage
Tin Can Sailor:241369 said:
Tin and Kevin, if you are not required by law to notify, would you tell an Leo?

Under what circumstances? I sure didn't mention it to the 2 cops at the fast food place today. In a traffic stop or some other formal contact I probably would if the circumstances dictated, but the question I was answering was whether I would inform a hotel employee, which is far different from a formal encounter with a peace officer.

Good answer. Since there are an abundance of reasons you could be involved in an encounter with a law enforcement officer, what circumstances would it take for you to notify? In those circumstances, why would you choose to do so?

In your opinion, what's the difference between a formal encounter with an Leo and a formal encounter with a hotel employee?

CDW4ME

Do you notify the front desk person at a hotel that you have a CCW Permit?

Let's rephrase that:

Do you notify anyone (other than the police, and them only if required) that you have a CCW Permit?

NO.

cougaram

Sandwich signs

For all of you who actually would inform that hotel clerk, why don't you just go ahead and strap a sandwich sign over your shoulders stating the fact you are carrying? WTH is this thread still running? LOCK PLEASE????

defender829

NavyLCDR:240767 said:
Horrors! I was making fun of peoples's excessive fear of those of us in uniform.

I am seriously confused. Are you for or against informing police when not required to by law during routine situations such as traffic stops?
Against, NavyLCDR. Notifying when not required by law unnecessarily complicates the situation. I do believe in having the pistol permit at your fingertips, ready to be shown if your weapons are about to be discovered, or if you are asked to exit the vehicle, or are asked if weapons are in your possession. Otherwise, I think it is silly to notify if it is not required by law.

NavyLCDR

Against, NavyLCDR. Notifying when not required by law unnecessarily complicates the situation. I do believe in having the pistol permit at your fingertips, ready to be shown if your weapons are about to be discovered, or if you are asked to exit the vehicle, or are asked if weapons are in your possession. Otherwise, I think it is silly to notify if it is not required by law.

Link Removed

NavyLCDR

Do you inform the front desk about your CCW at check-in?

Good God no ! Why would I do that ?

Because:

Also, I view it as a courtesy to the LEO. It's far better that he find out up front, than to have them accidentally see it and "freak out".

I know and understand that there are differing schools of thought on this, but I for one believe that by far most officers are upright and deserve to be treated with respect.

It could be viewed as a courtesy to the front desk clerk. It is far better that the front desk clerk find out up front then to have them accidentally see it and "freak out". I for one believe that by far most front desk clerks are upright, just want to go home safe to their families at the end of their shift, and deserve to be treated with respect.

Foxhound

Well wouldn't that apply to anyone then anywhere then ? Just how long are you going to be in front of this desk clerk doing what sort of movements ? If your carry rig is that apt to show getting things out your pocket then before you go in have the items you need to check in already in your hand or some shirt of jacket pocket.

NavyLCDR

Well wouldn't that apply to anyone then anywhere then ? Just how long are you going to be in front of this desk clerk doing what sort of movements ? If your carry rig is that apt to show getting things out your pocket then before you go in have the items you need to check in already in your hand or some shirt of jacket pocket.

Just how long are you going to be on the side of the road with a LEO for a traffic stop doing what sort of movements? If your carry rig is that apt to show getting things out of your pocket, then before you pull over, have the the items you need to give to the officer already in your hand, or in a visor pocket.

My point is, I don't feel the need to treat a police officer differently than a hotel clerk or taxi cab driver like some people do, especially in regards to my lawfully possessed and carried firearm, unless it is required to do so by law.

tuts40

This thread is still alive, we are still posting! I know this is true because YOU are reading this right now!

Nightmare45

NRA LIFE MEMBER
In Texas, only a peace officer or judge can ask for you license, if you notify anyone else you might be BRANDSHING

New Threads

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txshooter308