CWP badge

NC is one of the states that say displaying badge or shield in publc is impersonating a LEO and against the law, simple as that! :no:

Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges! Yea it's been said many times many ways, carry quietly...

Uh.... No....

When it comes to carrying a firearm, think Elmer Fudd. Shhh! be vewy, vewy quiet...

Strongly disagree.
Yes, carry quietly for sure.
But I find the badge to be a babe magnet. It gets me discounts at all the donut shops and lets me buy lunch at the kitchen door of some of the poshest restaurants. Gets me into LEO shows and even at times when I'm bored it lets me act as a crossing guard at the local school. I can jump the line at airports and bypass security there as well (no stinkin' body scans to make the female guards excited). Yup. A CHL/CCW badge is the ultimate topping to getting your permit and strapping on that .50 semi auto.
For the life of me I can't understand how you guys sucked me into this conversation. I have too much time on my hands.

To this we add the optimum carry method for the .50 8" barrel revolver. It turns out, after much study, to be the 'smart carry' for you stud muffins out there and NOT appendix but rather.... ummmm...... shall we call it 12 oclock carry? Stops people dead in their tracks especially when you wear your tights or leggings over it all. Dunno but it works for me. ALong with the badge of course. Still working on the backup piece.:girl_wink::girl_wink::pleasantry::pleasantry::hang3:

If you carry concealed, why advertise it with a badge ? Also, it could get you arrested for impersonating an officer. It has no useful purpose at all.

If you carry concealed, why advertise it with a badge ? Also, it could get you arrested for impersonating an officer. It has no useful purpose at all.

True and true.
You definitely do not want to advertise that you carry concealed lest you get the gun swiped from you after a whack over the head with a tire iron by a distraught wife/husband who then uses it to shoot their spouse. You get the idea I am sure. Just my two cents worth. Better you should get a crossing guard badge; at least then you can hold up traffic.

These things seem to me like the ultimate mall-ninja accessorie...Theres GOT to be a zillion valid reasons for not carrying these silly things. I eschew drawing attention to myself..just more of a personality thing,I guess,and these things never fail to make me chuckle. I dont know definetively,but I would thing theres probably legal reasons for not buying one of these little trinkets. My advice: save your hard earned money,buy some ammo and TRAIN!!!..stay safe!! :laugh:

Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges! Yea it's been said many times many ways, carry quietly...

Uh.... No....

When it comes to carrying a firearm, think Elmer Fudd. Shhh! be vewy, vewy quiet...

Agree, Elmer Fudd didn't carry no stinking badge. :no:

Strongly disagree. There can be no better way to identify yourself as a CCW holder than to present a cop with a badge identifying yourself as such............. cops know badges!
(sic)

So my question for those that have posted on this thread is this. Say I have an encounter with a group of armed suspects in a public location. There is no way of knowing how many private citizens are carrying or how many off duty LEOs are carrying at this particular location. Would one of these badges located in a wallet that can be brought out and seen by others make another ccw holder take a second to decide whether to shoot or not.

A CCW holder has not had as much training in situation response a LEO and may be more prone to shoot anyone holding a gun in the immediate area of the afore mentioned situation.

I do NOT intend to impersonate an officer or have this badge visible at all times. I do intend to avoid being shot in a situation where I am there to protect innocent lives until the police arrive.

Sorry guys but I think this is the dumbest topic. I agree with you Torontoguy
"Please Lord.......let me out of purgatory. I promise I'll be good from now on."

CCW Badges

In Florida those of us that carry are urged NOT to get a CCW Badge as from a distance they could be mis-construed as an official LEO badge which carries severe penalties down here. I've had CCW licenses for 43 years and subscribe to the theory that the pistol and the license are always on me and out of site.

Dick

I have two wallets.

Right one is most used, has driver's license and most of my credit cards.

Left one has Concealed Pistol License and some other stuff (spare keys for my motorcycle). As it happens, it also has a high quality gold colored badge: Washington Arms Collectors Life Member. I wear it at WAC gun shows. It is not visible when the wallet is opened, unless I lift the flap covering it.

Although I have NO desire to flash any sort of badge in the normal course of events, it occurs there might be a possible use: If that "gravest extreme" event transpires, and I find myself standing over a gang banger or two, holding my gun (because I'm not certain that all threats have been neutralized) while they assume ambient temperature amidst an expanding red pool, I would naturally have called 911. When arriving LEO's come roaring up, there just MIGHT be a trigger-happy rookie in the bunch. If I was holding my CPL (visible through the clear window in my open left wallet) as high as possible in my left hand, and the flap covering that WAC badge just happened to have come open, that "shiny thing" visible at the right second might keep me from being shot. Naturally, I'd be saying "I have a Concealed Pistol License," and if the badge was noticed I'd immediately apologize that the cover had come open and emphasize that I'm not a cop.

As a former Volunteer Fire Chief, I'm curious about that "wear a badge and be charged with impersonating an officer" law. What about firemen or others who have badges and are not cops? Even dog catchers and code enforcement officers have badges in some areas. Guess I'll have to do some detailed research on the law in my own state of Washington.

Badges for ordinary citizens are unnecessary. They are potentially more harmful than helpful. If ever in a SD situation, there will be more pressing things on your mind than to pull out your wallet with your toy badge. Once the threat has passed, unload, reholster your firearm, call for medical attention if necessary, contact law enforcement, calm down and wait for the police to show up. Be cooperative, but don't admit to anything. Seek medical attention, as I assure you that it's in your best interest.

Most importantly, if your job doesn't require you to carry a badge, DON'T DO IT!!!! I've seen many people get into trouble for carrying badges and other items that they had no business carrying in the first place.

gf

[quoteIf ever in a SD situation, there will be more pressing things on your mind than to pull out your wallet with your toy badge. ][/quote]

If in such a situation, what I'll have on my mind is SURVIVAL -- surviving any other hostiles who may be around, surviving gung-ho, scared, heavily armed cops who respond, even surviving the local court system and going home a free man. If the reflection thrown by my "toy badge" (can't recall if it's an extra $65 or $85 w/ life membership, but it's equal in quality to most cop badges) will decrease my odds of getting shot, it's a good thing. If it increases my odds of getting hurt, it's a bad thing.

If in such a situation, what I'll have on my mind is SURVIVAL -- surviving any other hostiles who may be around, surviving gung-ho, scared, heavily armed cops who respond, even surviving the local court system and going home a free man. If the reflection thrown by my "toy badge" (can't recall if it's an extra $65 or $85 w/ life membership, but it's equal in quality to most cop badges) will decrease my odds of getting shot, it's a good thing. If it increases my odds of getting hurt, it's a bad thing.

Being a trainer for both civilians and LE, I realize that there are differences in how each group operates. Without giving away too much info and in an effort to quash "Mall Ninja Mania", I will say that LEO are trained how to identify themselves while not in uniform WITH THEIR VOICES AND ACTIONS. Reaching for any items in your pockets, etc., when armed uniformed officers are responding may result in things turning out very bad for you. :eek:

Carry the tin if you wish, but IMHO, it will be more trouble than it's worth. In some jurisdictions, mere possession of an unauthorized badge is a criminal offense. Not only will YOU need to deal with the consequences (criminal, civil or both), but you will probably make the news and make responsible gun owners and CC permit/license holders look bad. The media isn't always our friend. With that in mind, we need to do what we can to demonstrate that we are responsible law abiding citizens.

Going back to your badge scenario, weather it will prevent you from getting shot or not, will depend on many factors. Consider the fact that you manage to hang your badge around your neck. You're moving around in "survival mode" looking for a way out of the situation. There happens to be another BG who sees your badge. He hides around a corner and ambushes you. In this case the badge did not prevent you from getting shot. It actually encouraged an assailant to attack you.

Do as you wish with regard to badges. As long as you're in compliance with local law it's your right. I do not recommend it to my students as the benefits are far outweighed by the risks.

gf

We have a former District Attorney that is facing charges of impersonating a law enforcement officer because he carried a badge that said District Attorney. I have no doubt that NC would charge you for carrying a CCW badge but they still sell them at the Gun Shows.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back