CWP badge

Good and thoughtful points, Glock Fan. My thoughts ran along this line after reading of the way Jim Cirillo trained Customs agents (if memory serves; it was after his time with NYPD) to identify themselves. His people were in New York, operated in plain clothes, and some of them were minorities. He taught them to hold the wallet with creds and badge as high as possible in weak hand, when NYPD arrived. (Would you like to be a black in plainclothes, holding a gun on a white guy on the ground, when NYPD rolled up?) He felt the training to identify in that manner probabably saved a life or two.

The point about actions and manner is well taken. Thanks.

So my question for those that have posted on this thread is this. Say I have an encounter with a group of armed suspects in a public location. There is no way of knowing how many private citizens are carrying or how many off duty LEOs are carrying at this particular location. Would one of these badges located in a wallet that can be brought out and seen by others make another ccw holder take a second to decide whether to shoot or not.

First, any situation where there is an "imminent threat" to your life, isn't going to allow you time to pull a badge vs your gun. If you have time to pull out a badge, to me it's not that imminent of a threat. If there's a threat, do you think a BG is going to 1) care what badge you have , 2) allow you time to pull it out, 3) and do you think anyone else is really going to be paying attention to you at that moment ? If it's a shooting situation ya'all better shoot back or be first, and if you aren't sure .... then they shouldn't be shooting at anyone or have a gun pulled in the first place, but getting cover, getting out, and assessing the situation .....

You can let everyone know, by yelling real loud as you are pulling your gun. Other than that, leave the gun in the holster.

Badges can get you shot at. I know when I pulled out my badge a few times, it sure got me shot at. LOL. And it was not a CCW badge.

I had initially suggested for discussion the use of a badge (or to the same purpose, anything that size and shiny that could be carried in one's wallet -- I think I just had an inspiration here!) to aid in initial identification and decrease the odds of being shot be responding Officers AFTER a "gravest extreme" event.

I can't see taking time to draw anything but a weapon, if one is at the beginning of such a situation.

I'm curious about that DA being charged with "Impersonating an Officer" for having a DA badge. I'd really like to know if there's a conviction. I have a hunch that tolerance for badges varies from place to place. Obviously, there are LOTS of folks these days who are not working street cops, but have some sort of badge, be it dog catcher, firefighter, crossing guard, truant officer or whatever. In even the less tolerant areas, could I really be CONVICTED of "impersonating" for accidentally letting an organizational membership badge show for a moment? I have a hunch that conviction would generally require one to present oneself in some way as an Officer. It would seem difficult to convict someone who was on record saying loudly "Officers, I'm a private citizen with a Concealed Pistol License," and if questioned about a badge replied "No, I am not a Police Officer."

Seems to me I recall Ayoob (it could have been someone else, time blurs memory) writing that one could yell "Stop, Police!" at a felon in the appropriate situation, and would be safe later claiming he did yell "Stop!" and a moment later called for Police. Pretty hard, to prove whether one called out a two word sentence with a comma in the middle, or two one word sentences.

Impersonating an LEO

We have a former District Attorney that is facing charges of impersonating a law enforcement officer because he carried a badge that said District Attorney. I have no doubt that NC would charge you for carrying a CCW badge but they still sell them at the Gun Shows.

I don't know why they would charge him with impersonating anybody, if he is a District Attorney, and his badge says District Attorney, then he can't be impersonating himself, and a person with a CWP badge doesn't have a badge that says "Police Officer", it says "Concealed Weapon Permit" or whatever it says, I don't think you are impersonating a police officer unless you have a cop badge, and tell people you are a cop. But then, there I go thinking again!! Where the hell do you get a badge that says District Attorney anyway? :unsure:

You can get a "district attorney" badge, or any other writing you choose through any fire/EMS/police supply mag. We ordered our FD badges and the only time you needed any proof of position was if you were ordering a badge for a specific police dept.
As for the CCW badges, i have seen one being worn and it was a guy carrying OC. I walked into a local supermarket and he was right in front of me in an aisle. When i first saw his pistol and then his badge my first thought was police officer. But as a retired Fire Chief i worked closely with LEO and didnt recognize this one so i tried to discreetly get where i could clearly see his badge and saw the CCW. There are a few of our younger officers that will OC when off duty and they will wear their badges on their belt. Gotta let everyone know your a cop doncha know! Personally, I carry concealed and would like to keep it that way. If your gonna advertise it you may as well OC.

Jeffrey1235:90081 said:
This is one of those questions that I was just wondering about, it literally makes no differance at all. Does anyone have or actually carry the CWP badges or do you just put the permit in your wallet along with your other stuff?:to_pick_ones_nose:
No need to advertise! IMO the less people know the better off I am.

To the OP: You will get some probably rather unkind responses, try not to be offended. Some here hate those badges with a furious passion.

So does the OP win the longest running thread award?

We need to find a Priest to Exercise this thread!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back