Close call on the scoot

The rake on a Sportster is the shortest of all rakes of all Harley"s, like I said, pretty big circle in my book. The Sportster IS bought for power, not comfort, like I said. Other bikes don't matter to me, just Harley's. That said, I can make YOUR Harley look like a "Hardley" any day of the week and twice on Sunday. LOL! :biggrin:

Well actually, the rake on a Sporty isn't the shortest of all Harleys. The rake on the Touring family has the shortest rake at 26 Degrees. Your Sporty is 30.1 degrees. The Softail is 32 degrees. It's harder to turn a bigger rake in a circle.
Now, you claim 20 ft radius is a big circle. Maybe to a motor cop, but not to you..or me for that matter. And I'm still waiting on your video to be posted of you doing a 20 ft circle on your Sporty. You're talking and joking a lot, but I don't see any action. LOL!!

Anybody that wants to see a pic of my bike, just go to the Harley site and look for an Ultra Classic Electra Glide. Mine is still stock, except for the Wild Pig Pipes I put on after three years. I wanted a little less noise on trips, but the stock ones never did have the "sound" I wanted. The Pigs are louder than I wanted, but they aren't too bad. At least you can hear a rumble.

Well actually, the rake on a Sporty isn't the shortest of all Harleys. The rake on the Touring family has the shortest rake at 26 Degrees. Your Sporty is 30.1 degrees. The Softail is 32 degrees. It's harder to turn a bigger rake in a circle.
Now, you claim 20 ft radius is a big circle. Maybe to a motor cop, but not to you..or me for that matter. And I'm still waiting on your video to be posted of you doing a 20 ft circle on your Sporty. You're talking and joking a lot, but I don't see any action. LOL!!

Anybody that wants to see a pic of my bike, just go to the Harley site and look for an Ultra Classic Electra Glide. Mine is still stock, except for the Wild Pig Pipes I put on after three years. I wanted a little less noise on trips, but the stock ones never did have the "sound" I wanted. The Pigs are louder than I wanted, but they aren't too bad. At least you can hear a rumble.

I've been riding for over 40 years, that's 40 years of practice and training. How much practice and training does a motor cop need? Get real. Do you really think I'm going to buy video equipment and draw a circle to turn around in just because you don't believe me? Again, get real, believe what you want. The Ultra Classic Electra Glide is a real nice bike and a very comfortable ride, and the Wild Pig Pipes do put out a nice rumble, congrats on them.

Well, I figured it was time to put up a pic,,, Nope, No 32 Degree Softtail Custom/Dyna Rack here..... :no:

Link Removed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I figured it was time to put up a pic,,, Nope, No 32 Degree Softtail Custom/Dyna Rack here.....

So which one cost as much as a Harley? The dining room set, the hardwood floor, or the organic vegetables? :sarcastic:

I've been riding for over 40 years, that's 40 years of practice and training. How much practice and training does a motor cop need? Get real. Do you really think I'm going to buy video equipment and draw a circle to turn around in just because you don't believe me? Again, get real, believe what you want. The Ultra Classic Electra Glide is a real nice bike and a very comfortable ride, and the Wild Pig Pipes do put out a nice rumble, congrats on them.

NO, I wasn't talking about a video and all that stuff. Sorry I came off wrong. I was just talking about a little video type shot from your cell phone. I don't know if you even have one on yours. I just recently switched my service over to Verizon, and I asked for the simplest phone they made. The one I got has NO video, NO picture taking, NO frills. Just open it up to answer a call. To place a call, dial the number and press "SEND". UH, you could say I ain't exactly a techno freak "Bill Gates" wannabe. LOL!!

Don't worry about it anyway. Your words good enough for me. I have no reason to doubt you, nor will I. Besides, I don't want you to have to do what I'm having to do with my bike. I've got to replace a rear brake rotor, and pads...AGAIN...at 21,500 miles. All that slow speed, cop turning stuff has destroyed my rear brakes and rotor. One thing ole dummie here just realized...cops get their bikes worked on and fixed/repaired for FREE. I have to PAY for mine! Call me slow, but I eventually catch on! LOL!! I think my days of practicing that stuff are over. I think turning that big old Ultra in 20 ft will just have to suffice. I can't afford to practice enough to get the circles down to 18 ft....unless I hit the lottery.

p.s.: Yeah, those Wild pigs are nice sounding..not too loud, but you know you're on a motorcycle. I could have even stayed with the stockers, if they had a decent rumble. But they had a tin kind of sound. The 2007 and later stock pipes are louder than previous years, but the sound still isn''t the "rumble" kind we like out of our Harleys.

NO, I wasn't talking about a video and all that stuff. Sorry I came off wrong. I was just talking about a little video type shot from your cell phone. I don't know if you even have one on yours. I just recently switched my service over to Verizon, and I asked for the simplest phone they made. The one I got has NO video, NO picture taking, NO frills. Just open it up to answer a call. To place a call, dial the number and press "SEND". UH, you could say I ain't exactly a techno freak "Bill Gates" wannabe. LOL!!

Don't worry about it anyway. Your words good enough for me. I have no reason to doubt you, nor will I. Besides, I don't want you to have to do what I'm having to do with my bike. I've got to replace a rear brake rotor, and pads...AGAIN...at 21,500 miles. All that slow speed, cop turning stuff has destroyed my rear brakes and rotor. One thing ole dummie here just realized...cops get their bikes worked on and fixed/repaired for FREE. I have to PAY for mine! Call me slow, but I eventually catch on! LOL!! I think my days of practicing that stuff are over. I think turning that big old Ultra in 20 ft will just have to suffice. I can't afford to practice enough to get the circles down to 18 ft....unless I hit the lottery.

p.s.: Yeah, those Wild pigs are nice sounding..not too loud, but you know you're on a motorcycle. I could have even stayed with the stockers, if they had a decent rumble. But they had a tin kind of sound. The 2007 and later stock pipes are louder than previous years, but the sound still isn''t the "rumble" kind we like out of our Harleys.

The understand about the 20ft.circle because that's the circle that I had to maneuver my bike through to get my license years ago. Within the 20ft.circle was a 18ft. circle that we had to keep the wheels between without coming in contact with either inner or outer line. We had to go around in this circle, between the lines in both directions twice, each time without putting our feet down. I did this on an old monster of a bike, a Vulcan 1500. That's why I was smarting off about the circle being pretty big having to do it on a Sportster. It took me awhile to get the sound and performance that I wanted too, but I think it's a lot easier to do with a carburetor like mine than fuel injection. I settled on the Vance & Hines Pipes, removed the baffles and installed the Thunder Monsters (lollipop tech) to correct the reversion, allowing a sturdy power band without any loss of power between low & high end. The sound is loud but not obnoxious.The Thunder Monsters (Big City Thunder) install easily (one screw) and with little or no adjusting of your fuel injection. You'll definitely get the"Harley Rumble" and some extra HP if you ever choose to give them a try.

You big bike guys just crack me up! My hat is off to you.

In the mid 60's I bought a 53 K in a basket. The Motor Pool Sgt at Granite City Army Depot, Ill helped my re-build it. I sure wish I had it now.

Just one question. Why is it when you approach a group of riders on the open highway the guys closest to the center line seem to hug the center line? This leave about 3 feet between us, coming head on! What a thrill that must be. But is it smart?

Ride safe and keep up the big smiles!

In the mid 60's I bought a 53 K in a basket. The Motor Pool Sgt at Granite City Army Depot, Ill helped my re-build it. I sure wish I had it now.

Just one question. Why is it when you approach a group of riders on the open highway the guys closest to the center line seem to hug the center line? This leave about 3 feet between us, coming head on! What a thrill that must be. But is it smart?

I spent a number of years in an MC and we rode "two up" (side by side) when on the open highway. Many don't like this style of riding, preferring the "staggered" formation we're all taught is proper. However, we considered ourselves professional bikers and prided ourselves on our riding skills. Believe me, you better have skills, too, when you're doing 80-85 mph (or faster) and the guy in front and behind is two feet away and you can reach out and almost touch the brother next to you. One thing you learn fast is you "do NOT hit the brakes"! Never had any problems.

It could be that those guys hugging the center line had someone right next to them; particularly on a curve, this might cause the inside rider to "drift" more toward the center.

I can't speak for everyone, but if you're riding in a group you want to keep enough distance between yourself and the rider closest to the shoulder to not make contact, and at the same time give the shoulder rider room enough not to have to ride too close to the shoulder. Personally, I always hug close to the center line simply to avoid the center of any road, because the center of the road is where the oil drips from automobiles and can be very slippery. Another reason is that by hugging the center line, you're never in the blind spot of any vehicle you're following, be it car or bike.

If you are familar with the MSF course, the 'Box" is 20, 24, and 28 ft. I have seen wings, electraglides, sporty's et all do the box clean. It's the skill of a rider that does the box.

We riders really have to have our 'A' game all the time. Cagers are out to get us one way or another. This encounter shows we should never venture out with out our helmet and our sidearm. We hope and pray we will not need either, but still have them.

If you are familar with the MSF course, the 'Box" is 20, 24, and 28 ft. I have seen wings, electraglides, sporty's et all do the box clean. It's the skill of a rider that does the box.

We riders really have to have our 'A' game all the time. Cagers are out to get us one way or another. This encounter shows we should never venture out with out our helmet and our sidearm. We hope and pray we will not need either, but still have them.

Agree on the sidearm, but no helmet for this bad (and foolish) boy. I like to feel the breeze blowing through my hair...oh, wait, I got no hair... except on my chin. OK, I like to feel the breeze through the hair on my chin. :wacko:

I agree with the sidearm, but I live in Arizona..whats a helmet???
:biggrin:

Agree on the sidearm, but no helmet for this bad (and foolish) boy. I like to feel the breeze blowing through my hair...oh, wait, I got no hair... except on my chin. OK, I like to feel the breeze through the hair on my chin. :wacko:

At least I don't get bugs in my teeth anymore, now I just leave my teeth at home.
:biggrin:

"But we're still studs, right? Cause we ride "big boy" bikes! "

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX B N M

OK, take it easy on the Boy from S.C.. I wish I had never put that term on here now! LOL!!!

"But we're still studs, right? Cause we ride "big boy" bikes! "

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX B N M

OK, take it easy on the Boy from S.C.. I wish I had never put that term on here now! LOL!!!

All in good fun, GOV, all in good fun...:biggrin:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back