Can you sleep anywhere?

JJFlash

Here's a twist I thought of:

The S has HTF and you're gonna be on the move and roughing it. Along with a lot of other issues, rest and sleep are important.

Can you get good rest and sleep while NOT in your 4-poster temper posture-pedic bed? I've heard it said that marines can sleep anywhere/anytime. Don't know about that firsthand, but I did prospect for a long time in a 1% "outlaw" MC. Wasn't too long before I could just about sleep anywhere. When I was told to get some rest, all I needed was the corner of the floor in some old clubhouse and my leather jacket for a pillow. No problem at all.

Some of us ought to get off the bed sometime and try the floor.

What do you think?

As a USAF Fighter crew chief...

As a USAF Fighter crew chief...not only could i sleep anywhere but i could do it in uncomfortable Ear defenders next to a running jet. Posture-pedic has nothing on a military web jumpseat on a c-130 or a c-141. They suck heaps and bunches...could sleep there too. Only thing that would wake me was the engines shutting down. then it was stack your gear over there and the jets will be here in 1-+2 hours...tailnumber XXX has a Number two engine stall again and Festus your jet has code 3 RADAR again.

I do a lot of camping in all kinds of weather and different terrains from the mountains to the desert. I've had a tent collapse on me due to the weight of the snow that fell overnight. I'd think I can sleep just about anywhere and over the years I've discovered what works and what doesn't (that silly 3 season tent among other things), what will get me by and what needs to be dependable.

After reading a thread that Festus had started about how long it takes you to get out of the house in a bug out situation, I've decided to leave the Jeep packed with the heavier things that can be locked in the storage compartments and reorganize the garage. I've always had a pack with the essentials (handgun, water with filter, fire, an MRE, basic medical supplies and signaling equipment) ready to go at a moments notice. It started out just being what I grabbed when I go to the desert to do some shooting for the day. If that's all I had to rely on I think I'd be ok for a week or three (stretching it).

Keep more (heavier) supplies in the Jeep, check. Tent, bed roll, lots of water, food and fuel all by the garage door, check. Rifles, pistols, cleaning supplies , and ammo can in closet by the bob, check.

Am I forgetting anything?

If you ask my wife:biggrin:, she's convinced I could sleep in a grenade factory during testing.
I love the floor.

At the summer camp (which has beds) I choose to sleep on the couch or in the chair in the front room or if they have sprayed for the black flies and skeeters I sleep on the boat. It rocks me to sleep like a baby. I also camp out there in the tents with the kids so the ground works well. I used to open the rear windows on the truck cap and just sleep in the truck bed if I decided not to make it back to camp (This was BC before children).. Haven't tried that in some time so I guess I'm due...

Good what if JJ..

Peace... OK and love if it makes ya happy:sarcastic:

While there are some environments and some objects that are definitely more conducive to sleeping I guess if you get tired enough you can sleep just about anywhere. Perhaps not sleep as well but sleep none the less.

OH Yea!! Forgot to mention the number one camp sleeping place.. Hammock.. Oh yea, give me some warm milk, powder my butt and put me to sleep in the hammock...:lazy2:

Was that too much information?:unsure:

Oh Man not no more.... My sleep numer is 17...
C-130, Festus, terrible seats....

There was a day tho, naked as jay bird, on the toilet, used to piss the Wiphe right off

Here's a twist I thought of:

The S has HTF and you're gonna be on the move and roughing it. Along with a lot of other issues, rest and sleep are important.

Can you get good rest and sleep while NOT in your 4-poster temper posture-pedic bed? I've heard it said that marines can sleep anywhere/anytime. Don't know about that firsthand, but I did prospect for a long time in a 1% "outlaw" MC. Wasn't too long before I could just about sleep anywhere. When I was told to get some rest, all I needed was the corner of the floor in some old clubhouse and my leather jacket for a pillow. No problem at all.

Some of us ought to get off the bed sometime and try the floor.

What do you think?

You get tired enough, you sleep. I remember sleeping standing up in the back of a 5 ton in OCS.

I've tried the hard floor before and in the outback during a trail so if I am tired and have my hearing protection on, I can sleep under the bush if I need to. There is one place I cannot sleep though -- in the cattle section of an international flight. I wonder why....:wacko:

Check into 'Jungle Hammocks'.
You can put up a Jungle Hammock nearly anywhere, and it will keep you and your gear dry when traveling.
I slept in one for 2 months while on leave from the military traveling around the country,
And I slept in one I don't know how many times or in how many countries in the military.

Light weight, small size, easy to carry, easy to put up/tear down, and quite comfortable for three season use.

Not that you would need to, but I've stretched mine out 50-75 Feet up in the trees in the jungles so were were above predators, both two legged and four legs when sleeping...

Lets see, Front Seat of a Fire Engine, back of a ambulance, cot on the truck bay floor, front seat of my pickup, back of my pickup, and the best on my 4 wheeler while fishing.

Someone mentioned us Marines being able to sleep anywhere and anytime.
I've slept sitting on the tire well in the bed of a pickup on a gravel road in an Alaskan winter, in sleet. I've slept on C-130s, in the sling seats and stretched out on top of the cargo.

Once, 6 of us took a sleeper, along with his mattress and bedding and set him down in a shower. He woke up after the mattress was soaked.

I've seen guys napping while standing in formation. During a familiarization fire day with .22, .38, & .45 handguns, M-16s, M870 shotguns, M60 machine guns, M14s, 81 mm mortars, and 2 .50 M2 machine guns, One guy got caught sleeping while waiting for a turn at one of the weapons.

Marines truly can sleep anywhere they want.

I've slept sitting on the tire well in the bed of a pickup on a gravel road in an Alaskan winter, in sleet. I've slept on C-130s, in the sling seats and stretched out on top of the cargo.

Once, 6 of us took a sleeper, along with his mattress and bedding and set him down in a shower. He woke up after the mattress was soaked.

I've seen guys napping while standing in formation. During a familiarization fire day with .22, .38, & .45 handguns, M-16s, M870 shotguns, M60 machine guns, M14s, 81 mm mortars, and 2 .50 M2 machine guns, One guy got caught sleeping while waiting for a turn at one of the weapons.

I too have slept on C-130's and C-141's. Add CH-53's to that list (see my user name and avatar).

I agree with all of the above. Probably the most uncomfortable thing I've slept on is a row of 55 gallon drums in 29 Palms - kept me off the ground, away from scorpions and rattlers. The rings around the top of the barrels hurt like hell when I woke up, but I got 3 hours of quality sleep.

Semper Fi

I've gotten a little bit spoiled over the years of not having to sleep in bad places for quite a while. My Tempur-pedic on my California King Bed has spoiled me. After I retired in L/E, I drove an 18 wheeler cross country for a while. Had a good bunk in the sleeper. Hauled alot of frozen and chilled food, so the reefer unit on the trailer was always on and off. Idling the truck to stay warm or cool was the norm. I slept on a tour bus for many nights touring with a band, but had a decent bunk there too. Just had to get used to rolling down the road while you sleep.

Other than that, camping had been about the roughest I've had it for several years now. Sleeping bag on the ground with a ground pad or air mattress. I guess if I get tired enough and put enough padding on the ground under my tarp and skeeter net, I'll be able to sleep. Probably for only short periods though.

Yea, I remember those days too. Just before I was sent to Okinawa, I got stuck with a three month guard detail. Man, there were so many times, at about two or three in the morning, where I would have given anything just to hit the rack. Sure as hell glad I'm not doing that standing there with all your gear and nothing to do.:fie:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back