OC'ers are nutty

Danmc

I think the OC crowd is kind of nutty, just like the Westboro Baptist Church is kind of nutty. Every group has their nutty folks, and in the gun owners/lovers world, the OC'ers are nutty, IMO. Kind of like motorcycle riders...we all love 2 wheels, the wind in our face, etc., but the HD riders think their chit don't stink, and if you ride a Honda then you are not a true biker. I am mostly turned off by the attitudes from the OC'ers, much like I am turned off by the attitudes of the HD riders. Open carry to your hearts content, I just wonder if you don't hurt the cause more than you help.

Its time to grow up. Do you see any open carriers going into the cc forum with childish posts like this?

The Brady campaign should just recruit certain concealed carriers to lead the charge.

I think the OC crowd is kind of nutty, just like the Westboro Baptist Church is kind of nutty. Every group has their nutty folks, and in the gun owners/lovers world, the OC'ers are nutty, IMO. Kind of like motorcycle riders...we all love 2 wheels, the wind in our face, etc., but the HD riders think their chit don't stink, and if you ride a Honda then you are not a true biker. I am mostly turned off by the attitudes from the OC'ers, much like I am turned off by the attitudes of the HD riders. Open carry to your hearts content, I just wonder if you don't hurt the cause more than you help.

I've had the opportunity to educate more people in the last year due to OC than I was able to in the previous 5 while I CC. There will be "good" and "bad" in every group. Conduct yourself properly and dress appropriately and you will be able to help the cause.

Believe it or not, there are some folks who are actually extremely "anti-gun". They will look for any reason to bash a gun owner. Method of carry will have nothing do do with those folks. Then there are others who will observe law abiding citizens OC in public and conduct themselves in a totally civilized manner, not causing problems and functioning as any other citizen. This is the group that will have the biggest impact on our cause.

Ever hear of the saying "don't knock it until you try it?" I recommend you check it out in this case.

What cause? Being ashamed of others knowing you carry a firearm? Being afraid to exercise a Constitutionally protected right in the open light of day? It's OK son, it's 2012 you can come out of the closet now, we are not ashamed of you.
29dv3mv_th.jpg

Here is one. OC'ers are obviously compensating for something. My guess is mom didn't put enough peanut butter on their sandwiches when growing up. Maybe they are insecure, short, fat, not well-endowed. That is usually what I think when I see my local oc'er out and about. "Be careful, he doesn't do well in society".

:/

I guess I personally don't like to draw attention to myself. Some people do.

Here is one. OC'ers are obviously compensating for something. My guess is mom didn't put enough peanut butter on their sandwiches when growing up. Maybe they are insecure, short, fat, not well-endowed. That is usually what I think when I see my local oc'er out and about. "Be careful, he doesn't do well in society".

:/

Does your Mom know you're on her computer?

You are entitled to your opinion... as am I...

Soooo... are you saying that all those OC'ers in Arizona, the ones who have been open carrying since the State became a State, are all nutty?

Are you saying that those who have the courage and conviction of their beliefs to actually take a stand and exercise their right to bear arms proudly in plain sight instead of scurrying around hiding their gun in fear .. are nutty?

What I think is nutty is for someone to bash OC in order to compensate for....

Their fear that someone might look at them funny...

Their fear that they will not "fit in" ...

Their fear of being ... GASP! the horror!... embarrassed...

Their fear that they would actually have to defend their beliefs..

Their fear that someone might come up to them and say something like...

Go ahead.. hide your gun in fear never understanding a hidden gun doesn't do anything to stop a crime before it begins because the criminal doesn't see the gun until after he has attacked.. a hidden gun doesn't get the public used to seeing a gun everyday as just another ordinary thing and not something to be legislated out of existence... a hidden gun does nothing to let the public know that they too have the right to carry a gun... and ....

A hidden gun does not give a person some kind of super secret magical mystical Ninja "element of surprise" power. All it does is make the guy with the hidden gun look like all the other possible easy prey to the criminal.

But then I sometimes suspect, my opinion, that the CC'ers who are adamantly against OC secretly fantasize that a bad guy would pick them for a victim because they look just like all the other victims just to have the opportunity to unleash their pretend super Ninja "element of surprise" and open a can of knight in shining armor all over that poor bad guy who made the mistake of messing with... SUUUPERRRR CC'er. Then they can humbly accept the thanks and praise from all the bystanders who's lives were saved by the bold and powerful guy with the hidden gun.

How come there aren't any "puke" emoticons?

Now here is some food for thought...

When a bad guy attacks a CC'er and the CC'er pulls his hidden gun.. and the bad guy sees the gun and runs away... Was it the super secret magical mystical "element of surprise" that scared the bad guy? Or was it merely a gun where the bad guy could see it?

Think on that for a while and then tell me which is better.. the bad guy attacks, the victim draws a gun, the bad guy sees the gun and stops attacking.... or the bad guy sees an openly carried gun and decides to not attack that guy but instead wait for someone who looks like they don't have a gun.. you know.. a CC'er.

You seem to forget that not only does OC mean Open Carry, it also means Original Carry. CC is a fairly recent development for firearms owners, whereas the original constitutions of several states made explicit provision for open carry. CC'ers have fought a couple of problems.

First is history. Historically, the only persons who carried concealed weapons were cutthroats, back shooters, and assassins; honorable men wore their firearms where everyone could see them. The person who carried concealed was always suspected of having criminal motivations. Frankly, there are still those who think this way. After all, you don't worry about the firearm you can see; it is the hidden firearm that you have to worry about.

Second is civilization, the idea that we have progressed beyond the need to carry firearms. Society is supposedly more polite, and we have law enforcement to "protect" us. The idea that we might really need to protect ourselves is so "wild west." People don't stop to think that law enforcement rarely protects us; most of the time it cleans up after the damage is done. Police can't be everywhere, and it takes time for them to respond to 9-1-1 calls - about 20 minutes. Yes, law enforcement helps get bad guys off the streets, and so protects us from any future crimes they might have committed, but it doesn't actually prevent much. Still, we have to protect the sensibilities of those who panic at the sight of an exposed firearm.

So today we have the problem of a Constitutional right to bear arms on the one hand, and the "need" to protect people from being panicked by exposed, unsightly firearms. So we continue to fight for the right to CC because it balances the two sides of the equation.

So before you go off half-cocked and accuse OC'ers of being nutty, remember: OC (while not MY preferred carry method) is the Original Carry.

Danmc:272719 said:

Its posts like these that hurt the pro gun movement. But that is probably your point now isnt it? ???

i take great offense that you have the nerve to compare harley folks, vs. honda folks. in our brotherhood, it aint what you ride, just the fact that you ride. besides, what the hell does motorcyclists have to do with oc, vs. cc? nothing that i have ever experienced. i open carry where legal, & have been cc, since 1985. just my h o.

Bikenut:272782 said:
You are entitled to your opinion... as am I...

Soooo... are you saying that all those OC'ers in Arizona, the ones who have been open carrying since the State became a State, are all nutty?

Are you saying that those who have the courage and conviction of their beliefs to actually take a stand and exercise their right to bear arms proudly in plain sight instead of scurrying around hiding their gun in fear .. are nutty?

What I think is nutty is for someone to bash OC in order to compensate for....

Their fear that someone might look at them funny...

Their fear that they will not "fit in" ...

Their fear of being ... GASP! the horror!... embarrassed...

Their fear that they would actually have to defend their beliefs..

Their fear that someone might come up to them and say something like...

Go ahead.. hide your gun in fear never understanding a hidden gun doesn't do anything to stop a crime before it begins because the criminal doesn't see the gun until after he has attacked.. a hidden gun doesn't get the public used to seeing a gun everyday as just another ordinary thing and not something to be legislated out of existence... a hidden gun does nothing to let the public know that they too have the right to carry a gun... and ....

A hidden gun does not give a person some kind of super secret magical mystical Ninja "element of surprise" power. All it does is make the guy with the hidden gun look like all the other possible easy prey to the criminal.

But then I sometimes suspect, my opinion, that the CC'ers who are adamantly against OC secretly fantasize that a bad guy would pick them for a victim because they look just like all the other victims just to have the opportunity to unleash their pretend super Ninja "element of surprise" and open a can of knight in shining armor all over that poor bad guy who made the mistake of messing with... SUUUPERRRR CC'er. Then they can humbly accept the thanks and praise from all the bystanders who's lives were saved by the bold and powerful guy with the hidden gun.

How come there aren't any "puke" emoticons?

Now here is some food for thought...

When a bad guy attacks a CC'er and the CC'er pulls his hidden gun.. and the bad guy sees the gun and runs away... Was it the super secret magical mystical "element of surprise" that scared the bad guy? Or was it merely a gun where the bad guy could see it?

Think on that for a while and then tell me which is better.. the bad guy attacks, the victim draws a gun, the bad guy sees the gun and stops attacking.... or the bad guy sees an openly carried gun and decides to not attack that guy but instead wait for someone who looks like they don't have a gun.. you know.. a CC'er.

Well here's my opinion. First let me start by saying any carry is better than no carry, second the original post is just ridiculous. Its funny that you use the super hero theme skit, because on past post I've read its the ocer who says when i wear my gun and people can see it, they apologize, they say excuse me more often, they let me and my family cut in lines and treat us better. Um okay so are you wearing your weapon because it may possibly be a life saving tool or because you have such a small ego, that you need some other way to demand respect. I also noticed that you said you would stop the crime before it happened, okay that's plausible. So are you wearing your weapon to protect people or just to show off your cool gun. By "scaring" the criminal off as you think your doing, your in fact making him look for not just a Ccer but a sheep someone who has no line of defense. Maybe a single mom, a disabled person etc, while you have one strong point let us not forget both ways can keep criminals and crime off the street. We should all.be carrying for the same reason, and the reasons that the law intends, to protect ourselves and others from imminent dangers. Thanks if you read this through, be safe out there, and everyone else lets think before we post anymore dumb ****.

I've had the opportunity to educate more people in the last year due to OC than I was able to in the previous 5 while I CC. There will be "good" and "bad" in every group. Conduct yourself properly and dress appropriately and you will be able to help the cause.

Wait a minute! Who, the heck, carries a pistol in order to, 'educate' other people! Sounds like a lot of bull hooey rationale to me. As far as I'm concerned, 'dressing spiffily or conducting yourself properly' have nothing to do with the fact that I, or the other guy are armed. For that matter, whenever I encounter an openly armed pedestrian - IN TODAY'S FRIGGING, 'POST COLUMBINE SOCIETY' - all of my instincts go on immediate high alert.

I don't know the other guy; nor do I know, 'What' he's trying to prove? I'm sure nobody paid much attention to Jared Loughner as he walked up to Gabrielle Giffords and her group - Right. In today's badly confused social environment, who really knows, 'What' the other guy (and his exposed pistol) might be up to?

What I DO KNOW is that anyone who is so patently inconsiderate to the thoughts and feelings of other people bears close watching. Sure, I realize such a fellow is, 'a man on a mission'. My concern is what kind of mission?

While normally being just plain quixotic and detached from mainstream thought processes might be fine, it ain't fine while you're, 'on a mission'; in, 'brain lock'; and exposing a pistol for everyone to see. 25 or 30 years ago OC'ing around an urban environment might (might) have been a socially acceptable thing to do. However after horrid gun events like Luby's Cafeteria and Virginia Polytechnic, flashing any pistol in public certainly is not the most considerate thing someone might do with a gun.

Neither do I require some aberrational, 'gun yoyo' to defend my Second Amendment Rights for me. I'm perfectly competent to do that myself. Whenever I'm out and about with the rest of the citizenry (Wal-Mart shoppers and whatever) I need and desire as little additional stress as possible.

Believe it or not, there are some folks who are actually extremely "anti-gun". They will look for any reason to bash a gun owner. Method of carry will have nothing do do (SIC) with those folks. Then there are others who will observe law abiding citizens OC in public and conduct themselves in a totally civilized manner, not causing problems and functioning as any other citizen. This is the group that will have the biggest impact on our cause.

Ever hear of the saying "don't knock it until you try it?" I recommend you check it out in this case.

Do you have any idea how, 'Ranger Rabbit' the above rationale sounds? The same palaver could be used to justify trolling through nightclubs with your fly open. Yes, I'll agree that there is a place in modern America for open carry of sidearms. In fact I've done it a few times, myself, during bear hunting season in several of Pennsylvania's more rustic towns, but, never at a local shopping mall, or inside a popular restaurant at high noon.

How about this: I'll agree not to screw with your Second Amendment Rights if you'll agree not to screw with mine - Fair enough!

hobbick8462:272815 said:
Well here's my opinion. First let me start by saying any carry is better than no carry, second the original post is just ridiculous. Its funny that you use the super hero theme skit, because on past post I've read its the ocer who says when i wear my gun and people can see it, they apologize, they say excuse me more often, they let me and my family cut in lines and treat us better. Um okay so are you wearing your weapon because it may possibly be a life saving tool or because you have such a small ego, that you need some other way to demand respect.

An armed society is a polite society. Just because others are more polite doesn't mean we are compensating. It is sad you would even think that way of another carrier. Are you compensating for your shame by insulting others, to make yourself feel better?

I also noticed that you said you would stop the crime before it happened, okay that's plausible. So are you wearing your weapon to protect people or just to show off your cool gun. By "scaring" the criminal off as you think your doing, your in fact making him look for not just a Ccer but a sheep someone who has no line of defense. Maybe a single mom, a disabled person etc, while you have one strong point let us not forget both ways can keep criminals and crime off the street. We should all.be carrying for the same reason, and the reasons that the law intends, to protect ourselves and others from imminent dangers.

A criminal is all ready profiling. OC'ers just don't fit their profile. That doesn't make them all the sudden change who they are looking for. They are all ready looking for the sheep, the unaware alone female, an unarmed person, an easy target. The only thing my openly carried gun had done is cause the criminal to not pick me.

If you are going to blame OC for a criminals actions, we can do the same for CC. Let's try your style of argument.

Do you conceal because you want to save your life or because you want to be "chosen"so you can kill another individual? Um okay, so while you hide your gun you have now made criminals shoot first, ask questions later, because anyone can be armed.

Thanks if you read this through, be safe out there, and everyone else lets think before we post anymore dumb ****.

You welcome, I did read through it. I find it ridiculous you think others post bull **** after a post like yours.

But I agree with you on one thing, we should all be happy we all carry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back