WTF is going on???school shooting.

First BC, I'm sorry for your loss and I know this is hard for you because it brings back horrible memories. But, I don't think having an armed police officer at the door is really a good answer. (It may be a start. But, it still wouldn't do any good for a determined shooter.)

Truth is a determined shooter would just have an extra target to take out first. It's been proven over & over that the best defense against armed BGs is armed good guys. Teachers & administrators need to have the right to protect themselves & their children.

-

I wonder if the Mayan Calendar had something to do with the "why".

I read that the perp was 20 years old, but no positive ID yet. 18 kids? Jeeze.

I'm not sure a solution is possible because there are no foolproof preventive measures. You could setup explosives detectors at each entrance that would automatically lock the entrance if explosive residue was detected, but that's way too expensive, and most school systems simply can't afford it. Even if you did that, someone that was hell bent on taking out a lot of people could pull a McVeigh and detonate an IED near the building, or shoot at school buses full of kids, or any number of other methods for taking out a bunch of people all at once. Further, having a cop there to open the door for everyone can also be circumvented by simply shooting the cop before starting in on everyone else.

This can only end badly for gun owners, and the 2nd Amendment.

First BC, I'm sorry for your loss and I know this is hard for you because it brings back horrible memories. But, I don't think having an armed police officer at the door is really a good answer. (It may be a start. But, it still wouldn't do any good for a determined shooter.)

Truth is a determined shooter would just have an extra target to take out first. It's been proven over & over that the best defense against armed BGs is armed good guys. Teachers & administrators need to have the right to protect themselves & their children.

And what if a teacher or administrator snaps, and they're armed? They're just as prone to doing something insane as the next guy. A teacher could kill every kid in his/her classroom before anyone else could act. Arming the teachers is not a viable solution. Even trying to keep guns completely out of the schools is not a solution.

-
I think that these tragedies will make that less and less likely. It seems to have the opposite affect on society. There's a lot of teachers who aren't fit to own a firearm too. Pedophiles, drug abusers and some pretty screwed up people. I remember some absolutely crazy teachers growing up. Fox News confirming my friend's info... 20-year-old shooter wearing a vest. Authorities currently meeting with the families of those shot to inform them. Very sad day indeed.
BTW, thank you for your consideration. My wife is very shaken. In very bad shape. This has hit too close to home. We have friends in the area and one with kids in that school district. We have no information on them. I asked her doctor will stop by on his way home and give her something. She keeps saying " it's just like Brian." Here we go again. It took ten years and a lot of therapy for her nightmares to stop.

SMMFH.............:bad:
Yeah, I know. But in my home, in my place of business and on my property I will maintain the edge as best as I can. If I don't see it then so be it. But if I do they disarm or leave. I'm not burying another family member. And I trust NO ONE.

And what if a teacher or administrator snaps, and they're armed?
Based on what? How many times in history has an armed, law abiding citizen suddenly just snapped and used their gun to kill someone? Let's try a little dose of reality here.
They're just as prone to doing something insane as the next guy.
Actually, no they aren't, and you know nothing of teachers if you think that. They certainly aren't immune, but teachers as a general rule handle levels of stress that the population as a whole does not, and they're subject to a screening process that your average nutjob would rarely be able to get through. They're also continuously tracked, scrutinied and monitored, unlike most of the working public. All that can't be said for the population as a whole, so no, they aren't just as prone to doing something insane as the next guy.
A teacher could kill every kid in his/her classroom before anyone else could act.
So could a stranger walking into the room, which was just proven today. So your point is?
Arming the teachers is not a viable solution. Even trying to keep guns completely out of the schools is not a solution.
Arming the teachers would be an excellent solution. If you think arming the teachers is bad because they're so close to the potential victims, then allowing you to carry arms is a bad idea too, because you're so close to potential victims all day long. You may not go through the screening process teachers do. We don't know anything about you. You might see children on the street. Therefore, according to your logic, arming you is a worse idea than arming teachers because you aren't screened like they are, even beyond criminal background checks, and we don't know your whereabouts and daily activities like we know theirs. They're more trustworthy than you are, yet you carry a gun. Your own logic defeats your point and supports disarming you more than it opposes arming teachers.

More innocent victims of gun control. The antis will call for more restrictions, but let's not forget that it's already a federal felony to have a gun within 1000 feet of a school.

Title 18 USC 922(q)

Link Removed

More innocent victims of gun control. The antis will call for more restrictions, but let's not forget that it's already a federal felony to have a gun within 1000 feet of a school.

Title 18 USC 922(q)

Link Removed
That's the most relevent post today. Penn Gillette once said "you can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws, it's insane!" Mark Furman just made a comment on Fox News that a box cutter was used to kill thousands on 9/11. It's not about the gun. It's about the insanity and determination of the person.

My thoughts and prayers to the families touched by this tragic event. I cannot begin to feel your loss at this time.

To me, this is not the time for political chest thumping, or 911 Tin-Foil thoughts. It is a time for those who are thinking clearly to move forward, help those touched by the events to pick up the pieces and come up with real, viable solutions to end the madness. For that is what it is, madness for someone to target innocent young children.

What a senseless tragedy? How may we keep our kids safe? How? We may protect (or try) ourselves and our loved ones when they are with us, but this is just the height of monstrous human degeneration. I feel so helpless right now, I'm truly shedding tears for those who were murdered and their loved ones. What deterrent? Firing squads for murderers? I and everyone here would have defended those kids. Global insanity.

Based on what? How many times in history has an armed, law abiding citizen suddenly just snapped and used their gun to kill someone? Let's try a little dose of reality here.
Actually, no they aren't, and you know nothing of teachers if you think that. They certainly aren't immune, but teachers as a general rule handle levels of stress that the population as a whole does not, and they're subject to a screening process that your average nutjob would rarely be able to get through. They're also continuously tracked, scrutinied and monitored, unlike most of the working public. All that can't be said for the population as a whole, so no, they aren't just as prone to doing something insane as the next guy.
So could a stranger walking into the room, which was just proven today. So your point is?
Arming the teachers would be an excellent solution. If you think arming the teachers is bad because they're so close to the potential victims, then allowing you to carry arms is a bad idea too, because you're so close to potential victims all day long. You may not go through the screening process teachers do. We don't know anything about you. You might see children on the street. Therefore, according to your logic, arming you is a worse idea than arming teachers because you aren't screened like they are, even beyond criminal background checks, and we don't know your whereabouts and daily activities like we know theirs. They're more trustworthy than you are, yet you carry a gun. Your own logic defeats your point and supports disarming you more than it opposes arming teachers.
I think when we get to the meat of the issue there is no real answer to this problem. What has happened to society? Why are people so nuts today. We never heard of this sort of thing decades ago. Seems we were a kinder, gentler society then.
Shooter confirmed as Ryan Lanza, 24-years-old. Police entered his home and have found a body there. They presently believe it's his mother but aren't sure yet. He is a resident of Newtown, CT.

I know I would feel better if my kids went to school and their teacher was armed. I've always thought that arming teachers/school staff as well as pilots would be a great idea. And now to learn that he possibly killed his mother at her home in NJ. This guy was was a real nut job.

The cheapening of life in today's society, in my opinion, has a lot to do with what's going on. Abortion is just a medical decision, has nothing to do with taking a life. Too old or too frail to be productive. Wouldn't want to be a drain on society. See a doctor take a pill, problem solved. No personal responsibility, everything and every decision you make is because of what someone else did to you and/or what they might do to you. Any tool can be used to commit a crime but the criminal is some how rarely at fault.

What has happened to society? Why are people so nuts today. We never heard of this sort of thing decades ago. Seems we were a kinder, gentler society then.

A generation ago there was prayer in school; people said the pledge to our flag. You did not yell at your teacher, or hit them. There was a Nativity scene at the court house or city admin building in every city in the US. And we did not have presidents that supported terrorist.

Title 18 USC 922(q)

Link Removed
Not if your state law allows it. And that doesn't prohibit transfer of your own arms to or from your residence, or possession within your residence.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back