Why does this so often seem to be the case with open carry?

Did walk not in fear's post not start with "True Story"? Did Wolf-fire's post not refernce people who start out with "True Story"?

YOU said "QUOTED"

like I said, go learn to read....

Hey! That leather looks exactly like my sofa and chairs! My wife would never let me rivet some Kydex to our furniture! I need to show her this piccy! :jester:

That's not a bad idea... firearm readily available without actually wearing it at home. I couldn't do it with my old cloth furniture... but tell your wife I definitely approve! Providing, of course, you match the kydex to the leather... :smile:

Done that! Though it might have been a Riesling in a coffee cup... Something.

Heck, our traditional anniversary dinner is champagne and pizza. :)
I don't drink, but my wife does, and I usually bring her cab in a brandy snifter for the evening meal. Really hacks her off, but it is a tradition now. Yes, she doesn't care what I bring her favorite libation in. The vessel still gets emptied...

Just because he noticed the trend after a particular post does not mean he is calling that particular poster a liar. I'm sure I've used the "true story" phrase a time or two, and I'm sure Wolf-fire is referring equally to me as anyone in this thread!

I'm sorry but the timing is just a little too convienient

Bull ****, you posted that immediately behind his post and quoted the exact words he used. Don't jerk the guy's chain and then act all offended when he calls you on it, sack up and take responsibility for your words

Yes, I posted it right after his post, because he is one of several members who have been using the "true story" meme. Hence, why I said, "A HANDFUL OF PEOPLE" and didn't call walknotinfear out, nor did I quote him directly by replying directly to his post. Please read my post, like I suggested he do. Whether his story is correct or not, I have no idea. But I do find it interesting that this sort of meme is creeping into the forums. To come out and say "true story" casts doubt on what you are about to write, when you don't write "true info" or "true facts" about anything else.

Please show me where I was offended. I'm not offended, riled up, nor upset. I'm just pointing out an oddity I've been noticing. With your language that got blurted out, one would assume you are "offended". I sir, am not.

True story, I'm an idiot :)

And a damned honest one at that! LOL

Good one.

This seems rather a trivial little side issue (no offense intended towards wolf). I think the important question that everyone is dying to know the answer to is, what do the words "so often" mean in context to the title of this thread? It is a fairly well-established notion that the OP has an axe to grind against either open carriers or the act of open carrying (or both?), so I'd like to know first, where does he live where it is "so often" the case that people carry $2500 guns in a $15 nylon holster, and second, how many OC'ers in an estimated total has he seen that the "so often" is juxtaposed against?

I'm sure I can count on a genial, informative, conversational tone when those couple of questions are addressed.
emot-jerkit-1.gif

Blues

This seems rather a trivial little side issue (no offense intended towards wolf). I think the important question that everyone is dying to know the answer to is, what do the words "so often" mean in context to the title of this thread?

If "everyone" is dying to know why are you the only one asking?

It is a fairly well-established notion that the OP has an axe to grind against either open carriers or the act of open carrying (or both?)

Since you seem to think I'm two people I'm not sure how to take this, do you mean that I have somehow come out against open carry or that some one you think I am has come out against open carry?

so I'd like to know first, where does he live

If I wanted people to know where I live I would have filled out that slot in my profile but I'll give you a hint, when I'm at home I don't need a permit to carry open or concealed

where it is "so often" the case that people carry $2500 guns in a $15 nylon holster, and second, how many OC'ers in an estimated total has he seen that the "so often" is juxtaposed against?

Again, that's above your paygrade

I'm sure I can count on a genial, informative, conversational tone when those couple of questions are addressed.
emot-jerkit-1.gif

Blues

I do aim to please

If I had a Nighthawk, I'd show it off too. The holster would probably be padlocked, and I'd have a second gun for actual use IWB. And one hell of a belt. Maybe suspenders, too.

Granted, I'll never be able to afford one of those, so this is purely theoretical.

Same here, except I don't have, a nighthawk just a nice Colt Commander, but if a BG wanted to try for it, great I could use the moving target practice

Hey! That leather looks exactly like my sofa and chairs! My wife would never let me rivet some Kydex to our furniture! I need to show her this piccy! :jester:

Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

Notice Eidolon says He's at HOME when he can carry open or concealed. He needs to join us in the states where we can carry open away from home(also w/o a permit) and maybe the stigma of seeing people peacefully carrying openly will change his mind set on the method.

And a damned honest one at that! LOL

Good one.

This seems rather a trivial little side issue (no offense intended towards wolf). I think the important question that everyone is dying to know the answer to is, what do the words "so often" mean in context to the title of this thread? It is a fairly well-established notion that the OP has an axe to grind against either open carriers or the act of open carrying (or both?), so I'd like to know first, where does he live where it is "so often" the case that people carry $2500 guns in a $15 nylon holster, and second, how many OC'ers in an estimated total has he seen that the "so often" is juxtaposed against?

emot-jerkit-1.gif

Blues
If "everyone" is dying to know why are you the only one asking?

Since you seem to think I'm two people I'm not sure how to take this, do you mean that I have somehow come out against open carry or that some one you think I am has come out against open carry?

If I wanted people to know where I live I would have filled out that slot in my profile but I'll give you a hint, when I'm at home I don't need a permit to carry open or concealed

Again, that's above your paygrade

I do aim to please

I for one am dying to know. I may not constitute everyone, but I'm a someone amongst a group of everyone.

I would love for the conversation answering these questions to be:

- genial - the first response wasn't, not genial ... so this is a start.
- informative - the first response wasn't even close. so sad.
- conversational - since a conversation is a give and take, he did quote your post and answer all your questions

Overall, I think we got about 1.5 out of 3.

So let's try this again. How often is "often" when seeing an expensive gun open carried in an inexpensive holster?
What state do you live in Eidolon, that this is a circumstance that happens "often"? We don't need your address (nor want it)... however when talking about open carry, it helps to understand the rules of the state of which you are speaking.
How many times have you seen this, that not only does it happen "often" but so "often" that you decided to post about it?
That's got to be a whole bunch <--- sarcastically vague amount.

Seriously, though, those three questions are incredibly valid, if you'd like us to get back on topic to what you brought up, Eidolon.

Notice Eidolon says He's at HOME when he can carry open or concealed. He needs to join us in the states where we can carry open away from home(also w/o a permit) and maybe the stigma of seeing people peacefully carrying openly will change his mind set on the method.

When I said at home I meant in my home state, my work frequently takes me out of the country.

There are quite a few Open Carriers where I live, it's not like it's a big deal, I just don't see the point in laying out all that scratch for a nice gun and then sticking it in a cheap ass holster and I really don't see the point of carrying a gun for (presumably) self defense and then strapping it into said cheap ass holster so that you have to bust your ass to get it out

So let's try this again. How often is "often" when seeing an expensive gun open carried in an inexpensive holster?

I don't know , I guess I see an OC'r once or twice a week maybe not always with a top end gun but almost always with those cheap ass nylon holsters, I'm not talking about a kydex retention holster I'm talking about nylon

What state do you live in Eidolon, that this is a circumstance that happens "often"? We don't need your address (nor want it)... however when talking about open carry, it helps to understand the rules of the state of which you are speaking

Again, no you don't need to know what state I'm in. All you need to know is that I'm in 1 of the 5 states that allows Constitutional carry

How many times have you seen this, that not only does it happen "often" but so "often" that you decided to post about it?

Don't know, clearly enough to trip my trigger or maybe I just wanted to rile up the Breakfast club

Eidolon, what did the holster look like?

Link Removed

Most cheap holsters cover a lot of firearm but still don't hold rock solid...

That being said, to anyone, could you tell what a nighthawk looks like based on what the average cheap nylon holster covers? 8 images, how many, if any, are nighthawk 1911's?

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

I'm curious as to why it seems to happen so often with open carriers that someone has to find something to ridicule about the open carrier about?

How come folks don't ridicule the concealed carriers who put their expensive guns in cheap nylon holsters? Or concealed carriers who put their expensive guns in cheap belly band holsters? Or concealed carriers that use holsters, even very expensive leather holsters, that have no retention features? Could it be that some folks think hiding the gun behind a thin bit of cloth means there is no need for retention features on a holster?

Could it be it isn't about the holster or the retention... or lack thereof.. or the cost of the gun but is really about not liking to see open carry and needing some excuse to marginalize open carry by ridiculing the open carrier?

After all... if it was just about not understanding why someone would put an expensive gun in a cheap nylon holster why would the question be:

"Why does this so often seem to be the case with open carry?"

instead of something along the lines of:

"Why do folks put expensive guns in cheap nylon holsters?"

In my not so humble and likely not popular opinion... I think those who nit pic things about open carriers, like using an expensive gun in a cheap holster, are using the nit picking as a vehicle to exhibit a passive aggressive bias against open carry itself.

Eidolon, what did the holster look like?

it was this holster exactly

Link Removed

Most cheap holsters cover a lot of firearm but still don't hold rock solid...

The Holster actually looked quite solid

That being said, to anyone, could you tell what a nighthawk looks like based on what the average cheap nylon holster covers? 8 images, how many, if any, are nighthawk 1911's?

Does that count the pictures where the Nighthawk Logo on the grip has been covered? It was this gun dude (or pretty damned close)Link Removed

In my not so humble and likely not popular opinion... I think those who nit pic things about open carriers, like using an expensive gun in a cheap holster, are using the nit picking as a vehicle to exhibit a passive aggressive bias against open carry itself.

Actually, I think that will be a very popular opinion, except for with only one poster in this thread.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back