Why does this so often seem to be the case with open carry?

Even if I could open carry I would not unless it was the only option in the state I was living in.

I'm sorry Walknotinfear, I see You live in FL, so I can see why You said what You did, Open Carry is illegal there. You need to move out to West where Open carry is allowed and very common. Also where I live You don't even need a permit to do it.

Or drive north to Pennsylvania. We too enjoy no permit with open carry..... or even Vermont where there is no permit for any type of carry. Just go north Walknotinfear.

Whether carrying concealed or open, I think having retention is a good idea. Not just to protect against a gun grab, but also to keep the gun in the holster in the event I fall, have to run, or have to engage in any other activity that would cause my gun to fall out of a holster that doesn't have retention. Just my 2 cents though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Whether carrying concealed or open, I think having retention is a good idea. Not just to protect against a gun grab, but also to keep the gun in the holster in the event I fall, have to run, or have to engage in any other activity that would cause my gun to fall out of a holster that doesn't have retention. Just my 2 cents though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Well , this guy could have jumped off the building and that gun wasn't going anywhere

I do not care how you carry as long as you carry.... My personal preference on holsters is at least some kind of retention strap because I have been known to roll down hills, get thrown off heavy equipment (my nickname is flipper, as in tractor and jeep flipper) and have had a firearm fall out of my holster a few times..... Guess I learned my lesson as far as holsters go, hope I have on flipping things too... last one came within inches of killing me.

BTW.. holster of choice is a Blackhawk nylon pancake...

I do not care how you carry as long as you carry.... My personal preference on holsters is at least some kind of retention strap because I have been known to roll down hills, get thrown off heavy equipment (my nickname is flipper, as in tractor and jeep flipper) and have had a firearm fall out of my holster a few times..... Guess I learned my lesson as far as holsters go, hope I have on flipping things too... last one came within inches of killing me.

You just gave me an idea... I should have my sister test out all my holsters for me! She's an acrobat and does a lot of hand-balancing... so she spends a lot of time upside down.

That is one thing I really like about Alien Gear holsters... you can adjust how tightly it holds on.

I also agree with some sort of retention. I have seen firearms fall out of holsters when the person is running. Even a level 1 retention for a handgun is better than none. Just my 2 cents.

True story: Years ago a friend of mine (law enforcement officer) was riding in his personal car. A another car t-boned him, his car flipped over, he climbed out and it took him a few minutes to notice his firearm was gone. It took him and 6 other cops with flash lights (at night) to find his weapon laying in the grass. And yes, he was carrying a holster with no retention.

Has anyone else ever noticed there are a handful of people on the forums that interrupt their post to say "true story" and then follow it up with some story that makes their point.

If one has to tell others that what they are about to write is actually true, what does this say about the rest of their posts... are they not true?

My question is why in the Hell was this guy walking around with a gun that had to cost North of 2500.00$ in a 15.00 nylon holster?

I will give the guy this though the holster had retention; it looked like the retention strap buckled like a belt over the grip. I promise you that gun wasn’t going to come out of its holster with out the guy taking both hands to unbuckle that strap before he drew it. I can just see someone jumping him and him having to try to fight the guy off while getting the strap off that gun.

The answer is simple. Everyone should know by now (from the concealed carry only crowd) that bad guys cannot resist attacking a person they see carrying a gun. I'll bet the Nighthawk was only bait. He really had his "element of surprise" hidden somewhere ready to save the world from the criminal that was sure to attack him first because he was open carrying.

The answer is simple. Everyone should know by now (from the concealed carry only crowd) that bad guys cannot resist attacking a person they see carrying a gun. I'll bet the Nighthawk was only bait. He really had his "element of surprise" hidden somewhere ready save the world from the criminal that was sure to attack him first because he was open carrying.

Funny stuff man.

Maybe it's just as simple as the guy was waiting for the two-year backlog on a $1000 lizard-skin with python inlays and gold concho appliques combo of holster, mag pouch, flashlight holder, cuff-case, shoulder-harness/IWB/OWB/ankle/thigh/SOB modular-mounted doo-hickey from Del Fatti or Secret Squirrel or....I don't know.....sumpthin' like dat, and in the meantime he just used what he had on-hand.

Nah, it's probably like you said Navy, it was just bait. HA!

Blues

Has anyone else ever noticed there are a handful of people on the forums that interrupt their post to say "true story" and then follow it up with some story that makes their point.

If one has to tell others that what they are about to write is actually true, what does this say about the rest of their posts... are they not true?

Are you calling me a lair?

The one thing I am not. When I give examples on this forum they are for your reading pleasure and for the readers to learn from. I do not make up any stories and they are true events. I am not a 'poser' and make up these things like so many other people on the internet. The next time maybe I will give dates, full names of all involved, what agencies were involved, etc. so people like you (wolf-fire) will not question if I am making up a story or not. The one thing that gets my going is someone questioning my credibility or candor.

I used a Blackhawk for a while. Once in place, I had to take my pants off to remove it. When it hooked in place, it stayed there. Switched to leather with a retention strap and like it much better.

Are you calling me a lair?

The one thing I am not. When I give examples on this forum they are for your reading pleasure and for the readers to learn from. I do not make up any stories and they are true events. I am not a 'poser' and make up these things like so many other people on the internet. The next time maybe I will give dates, full names of all involved, what agencies were involved, etc. so people like you (wolf-fire) will not question if I am making up a story or not. The one thing that gets my going is someone questioning my credibility or candor.

You really are defensive about what I said. Could it be that you are guilty of what I suggested in my post? This, I do not know. I did not write what I wrote specifically concerning you. I made a general comment about a trend I have seen from "a handful of people". Please actually read my post before spouting off half-cocked. The world really does not revolve around you.

It seems that even if you think someone is questioning your credibility that "gets you going" too. Just because you were the last of several posters that has used the "true story" meme, does not mean that what you said wasn't true. It just makes the reader wonder why you felt the need to say "true story". Get it?

Oh and for the record, I have never called anyone a lair. That would indeed be strange. :smile:

You really are defensive about what I said. Could it be that you are guilty of what I suggested in my post? This, I do not know. I did not write what I wrote specifically concerning you. I made a general comment about a trend I have seen from "a handful of people". Please actually read my post before spouting off half-cocked. The world really does not revolve around you.

Bull ****, you posted that immediately behind his post and quoted the exact words he used. Don't jerk the guy's chain and then act all offended when he calls you on it, sack up and take responsibility for your words

Bull ****, you posted that immediately behind his post and quoted the exact words he used. Don't jerk the guy's chain and then act all offended when he calls you on it, sack up and take responsibility for your words
"posted immediately after" yes, you are correct there, but nowhere else...

Bullcrap? quoted exact words? wow dude, you really need to learn how to read.... unless of course, he "quoted" words without "quoting" them, and only you with your super squirrel powers deciphered them with lemon peel and candle smoke... if that is the case, ty for your wonderful help yer awesomeness... otherwise, just go away and let the adults continue their conversation.

"posted immediately after" yes, you are correct there, but nowhere else...

Bullcrap? quoted exact words? wow dude, you really need to learn how to read.... unless of course, he "quoted" words without "quoting" them, and only you with your super squirrel powers deciphered them with lemon peel and candle smoke... if that is the case, ty for your wonderful help yer awesomeness... otherwise, just go away and let the adults continue their conversation.

Did walk not in fear's post not start with "True Story"? Did Wolf-fire's post not refernce people who start out with "True Story"?

Did walk not in fear's post not start with "True Story"? Did Wolf-fire's post not reference people who start out with "True Story"?

Just because he noticed the trend after a particular post does not mean he is calling that particular poster a liar. I'm sure I've used the "true story" phrase a time or two, and I'm sure Wolf-fire is referring equally to me as anyone in this thread!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back