Why does this so often seem to be the case with open carry?

Eidolon

Alter Kocker
So, I was ammunition shopping at Sportsman’s Warehouse today and I noticed a guy open carrying a pristine Nighthawk 1911. My question is why in the Hell was this guy walking around with a gun that had to cost North of 2500.00$ in a 15.00 nylon holster?

I will give the guy this though the holster had retention; it looked like the retention strap buckled like a belt over the grip. I promise you that gun wasn’t going to come out of its holster with out the guy taking both hands to unbuckle that strap before he drew it. I can just see someone jumping him and him having to try to fight the guy off while getting the strap off that gun.

I got my ammo and went and bought a new flat screen AND STILL DIDN'T COME CLOSE TO WHAT THAT NIGHTHAWK SET HIM BACK

Maybe it's what He wanted to carry in. My holster has NO retention and I will carry OWB any day, any where it's legal. If You are aware of Your surroundings, retention means little. NO ONE will get close enough to get My weapon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Maybe it's what He wanted to carry in. My holster has NO retention and I will carry OWB any day, any where it's legal. If You are aware of Your surroundings, retention means little. NO ONE will get close enough to get My weapon.

Really, you seem very confidant that you can NEVER lose your weapon. (You are standing in line to purchase your food. You feel 100% sure you are aware of all your surroundings, you have the intestinal fortitude, you feel confidence that you will NEVER lose your weapon and you feel that you are the best in weapons retention. 5 seconds later, out of no where a bad guy hits you over the head with a baseball bat and knocks you out. Are you still going to say you are still able to keep retention of your weapon. I bet you are going to say you would of seen him coming so let me change it a bit. Same situation but while you are in line to pay for your food a bad guy walks in and points a rocket propelled launcher at you, you are so scared that you have a heart attack, so the bad guy just walks up to you, laughs at you and he takes your weapon. My point is nothing is absolute or 100%.)

To each his own. But don't think I will have to worry about a RPG in a grocery store. If a BG ever has one, there are lot more serious problems going on than Me having My gun taken away. Besides, if I had a heart attack and collapse, retention of the holster is not going to be an issue any way. But whatever flicks Your Bic.

Really, you seem very confidant that you can NEVER lose your weapon. (You are standing in line to purchase your food. You feel 100% sure you are aware of all your surroundings, you have the intestinal fortitude, you feel confidence that you will NEVER lose your weapon and you feel that you are the best in weapons retention. 5 seconds later, out of no where a bad guy hits you over the head with a baseball bat and knocks you out. Are you still going to say you are still able to keep retention of your weapon. I bet you are going to say you would of seen him coming so let me change it a bit. Same situation but while you are in line to pay for your food a bad guy walks in and points a rocket propelled launcher at you, you are so scared that you have a heart attack, so the bad guy just walks up to you, laughs at you and he takes your weapon. My point is nothing is absolute or 100%.)

Ever considered taking up dime-detective novels?

If I had a Nighthawk, I'd show it off too. The holster would probably be padlocked, and I'd have a second gun for actual use IWB. And one hell of a belt. Maybe suspenders, too.

Granted, I'll never be able to afford one of those, so this is purely theoretical.

Nothing like going to the extreme to try and make a point. But if it's all You can come up with, I guess it's better than nothing.

I'm sorry Walknotinfear, I see You live in FL, so I can see why You said what You did, Open Carry is illegal there. You need to move out to West where Open carry is allowed and very common. Also where I live You don't even need a permit to do it.

There are some really nice nylon holsters...and really good looking knock off high brand 1911's...I wasn't there, but I wouldn't be anymore afraid of open carrying a $500 gun and a $2000 gun. The only people that would be able to tell the difference are very few gun owners.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

here's my new set up. $1700 in <$10 worth of kydex. My holster are RPG proof...so I'm covered there.

Wow you're pretty realistic, considering tons of criminals bring "rocket propelled launchers" to rob area restaurants. I wish there was a dislike button for this beautiful post of yours.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

If I had a Nighthawk, I'd show it off too. The holster would probably be padlocked, and I'd have a second gun for actual use IWB. And one hell of a belt. Maybe suspenders, too.

Granted, I'll never be able to afford one of those, so this is purely theoretical.

If I’m going to go out and spend 2500+++ for a gun I’m going to put that puppy in some nice leather. Although it occurs to me that the nylon may have been an attempt to minimize holster wear

Nothing like going to the extreme to try and make a point. But if it's all You can come up with, I guess it's better than nothing.

The scenario is a little out there but if you are trying to say that no one has ever got that close to you with out you seeing them coming you’re mistaken or lying.

There are some really nice nylon holsters...and really good looking knock off high brand 1911's...I wasn't there, but I wouldn't be anymore afraid of open carrying a $500 gun and a $2000 gun. The only people that would be able to tell the difference are very few gun owners.

The Holster looked like a high end Uncle Mike's (yes, I am aware that's an oxymoron) but there was no doubt in my mind the gun was a Nighthawk.

To me it's like drinking Ripple out of Waterford crystal or maybe a more apt analogy would be drinking a fine cabernet sauvignon out of a McDonald’s glass

:blink:

(15 mo')

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back