Who knows that you carry?

toreskha

Titles are un-American.
What members of your family or friends do you tell about your CWP and the fact that you carry? Is it obvious that you even own a gun to begin with? I've seen some people who are completely discrete about it, and others who practically wear it on their sleeve. One example Link Removed, who got his name and picture in the paper on an article about students wanting to carry on campus.

Some of my close friends and family know I have a permit. I don't outright tell people, but I'm not afraid to talk about it if the subject ever comes up. It's not something you should ever act all bad-ass about--but it is good for people to see that reasonable, normal people have them.

It's like we've made guns into these mystical objects that are extremely powerful and extremely dangerous. They might go off if you look at them funny. Guns should be respected, but people should not live in irrational fear of them and those who own them.

Having said that, I know people who say 'concealed is concealed' and that you should never tell anyone. I don't think there is anything wrong with that method either.

Link Removed

Also, the guy in this photo shouldn't be doing that. Open-carry is not legal in this state.

Hmmm

My wife, kids, parents, a half-dozen friends and a few select co-workers knew I carried. Well, a few gun store employees where I trained or bought holsters and gear too. Also, when I would go to someone's home for the first time, I would usually inform them out of courtesy. Only one person ever objected and I chose to disarm, lock my gun in the trunk and only visit once. I tend to relax when I am indoors and don't want to spend a 3 hour visit wearing my sports coat, jacket or even a light vest.

Anyone who knows me or has been to my home knows I own guns. They were racked over the fireplace in one home and I don't hide my views on the 2A.

SInce legal in ohio, 3 years 7 months ago, the fallowing people know that I am always armed (where legal)
wife 3years 7 months
dad 3 years 5 months
mom 3 years 5 months
Thats it.
Couple of close co-workers on my full time job though i've never confirmed nor denied (it's legal and company has no policy against it).

Post Subject

Just my family and a few close friends know I carry, I can count the people on both hands that know, and have fingers left over.

It's no secret that has to be kept that someone has a CWP. In SC I have to advise anyone that I have one and that I'm armed if I go to someones home, stranger or friend it doesn't matter. All my family, friends and every gun dealer that I've bought from knows I carry. Most of my friends now either have their CWP or is getting one because I carry. It's not a badge of honor but a right that must be known to exist and for most states, easy to get.

Two people know I carry, my wife and my best friend...other than that, it's no ones business but my own.

Now in the article above abt carring on campus, I pulled this quote from it: "So, you get mad at your professor and you take him out?" King said. "Put two caps in him and say, 'That's it?' No, that's not a good plan."

Thats right, it is not a good plan as several other students may be armed and they will put a cap in your ass! All the more reason to be armed! To deal with those that seek to do harm to others!

Wife, son, daughter, mom, dad, sister, niece, nephew, mother-in-law, brother-in-law, 2 aunts, 2 uncles, 2 cousins, a couple of pro-gun neighbors whom I trust and a handful of co-workers who I know to be pro-gun. I don't go around crowing to the sheeple, proclaiming that I carry, however, my philosophy is to let anyone I trust know that I carry so that if they are interested themselves, they don't feel like they're the only ones. It can be a little intimidating when you think you're the only "crackpot" who wants to carry a gun. I always offer my support and try to provide helpful information. Since I got my CCW in July, one of my co-workers, mentioned above, has gotten theirs. I like to feel that I had something to do with that decision.

Quotes and lack of bladder control

I pulled this quote from it: "So, you get mad at your professor and you take him out?" King said. "Put two caps in him and say, 'That's it?' No, that's not a good plan."

I noticed that quote and my first thought was that he's been taking instruction from the Brady and HCL groups. This is typical "blood and carnage from crazed, gun-toting neanderthals" knee-jerk rhetoric. Shoot a professor...my lord...he was probably wetting his pants thinking he would have to face an unhappy constituent after a vote.

My parents know. Dad wants to get his permit. My wife knows. My wife has her permit. A few of my close friends know. One of which I took the handgun class with. One of the ladies I work with knows. Her husband has had a permit since they became available. I don't want people I don't know to know I carry, but the people I do know, I don't care if they know. I am doing nothing wrong and most of the people in the rural community I live are pro gun

I've Got a Secret?

I see 2 sides to this discussion; both are vaild. Here's my take: I live in the Orlando area and even though our population does not approach that of the large metropolitan areas, our crime percentages rank us way up there, along with the big cities. (If only this was a college Bowl Championship ranking!) I can't help but believe that if more citizens were armed a fair percentage of these BG's would either choose to not take the risk or be takin' a dirt nap. The vast majority of people, even those that own guns don't seem to consider this. So, my belief is those of us that have a permit need to gently inform those that don't, to "school" them of the importance of being involved citizens. It's time here in Central Florida for law abiding citizens to take back their streets. Not helping others realize this by keeping this to yourself doesn't seem to be the answer. When talking to people, it's pretty easy to size up their feelings about guns and harm, being harmed, that is. My daughter-in-law is from Sao Paolo, Brazil. By the grace of God, she will become a U.S. CITIZEN in less than a year - AND SHE CAN'T WAIT! She said the first thing she wants to do is get a concealed weapons permit. You see, Sao Paolo is the size of New York city; their crime rate is something like 9 times higher there. It's not just the gangs, it's the police too. She freely told me that her biggest fear is being raped. I have found it difficult to broach that subject with females but she readily offered it. So, for me it's "inform those that do not realize the importance and value of being an informed citizen". Encourage them to go to the gun range with you and allay their fears. Show them that there are many useful members of society that carry.

As far as who knows that I carry, just about anyone who REALLY knows me knows (I am a LEO). Everyone else is oblivious.

I hide my off-duty gun really well (unless I get sloppy and carry my FAG bag), and a frisk is required to determine if I am carrying. Sometimes my friends/coworkers will flat out ask me if I am carrying, because I don't telegraph that I am armed.

My original goal was nobody but that's not very realistic.

My wife and two adult daughters know, a close CCW friend and only one other. ;)

I guess most of my friends and family know I carry.I don't dance around in public singing about it,that would be dumb.But I don't necessarily keep it a secret.I guess you could say I'm discreet about it.I don't mind talking about it with people I meet,since it's not a bad or shameful thing.Besides,I'm a dealer and every person I meet is a potential new customer.
:D

Everyone in my family knows, as I am trying to convert them. My brother is closest, to the point that he's considering the license for pilots to carry on the plane, complete with a gummint issued Sig 226. Now to get my wife, dad, mom, and sister converted. Most of my friends know, and I make no secret as to why I carry, and why it's in their best interest to carry as well. General public, however, is none the wiser. Out and about, concealed means concealed. However, when I'm in the comfort of my own home, or at the family's house, I'm open or concealed, depending on room temperature.

My family and close friends know. Since I run the site it comes up a lot. My mailman probably knows or at least knows I'm into guns from all the mags that come in! But I don't really advertise it unless it comes up. I've thought about getting some kind of car magnet for the site but just don't want to really put that out there when I'm driving around. I don't have any gun stickers on car. But I do have a Front Sight pin on the front console that brings up conversation sometimes.

All of my family knows i carry and both my kids know that they don`t talk about it when we are out in public.I would have to say that all my close friends know i carry and i will talk about it with anyone who expresses an interest.and have even helped a couple of friends get set up with their own permits.I also am a believer that people should exercise their right to carry and love to see the numbers climb.

All of my family knows i carry and both my kids know that they don`t talk about it when we are out in public.I would have to say that all my close friends know i carry and i will talk about it with anyone who expresses an interest.and have even helped a couple of friends get set up with their own permits.I also am a believer that people should exercise their right to carry and love to see the numbers climb.

Thanks JC: This pretty well sums up my attitude. We should be encouraging people to exercise their rights and freedoms just as we have done.:)

Yea --JC pretty much sums up my attitude too. I don't go around showing off or bragging by any means but with friends and good aquaintences I do like to talk about RKBA and CC issues. Most of my friends tend to lean a tad to the left--many are or I should say were anti gun. I have changed the mindset of most of my anti friends and have actually gotten several who have never even touched a gun to go to the range with me and learn to shoot. Several aquaintences have actually gotten or are applying for their CC permit.
Education is the key

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back