Whats your opinion on the florida shooting?

He admitted following Martin. What will you do if I follow you on a dark rainy night? Will you be fearful? Will you eventually turn it back on me or allow me to follow you? Would you train your students to do what Zimmerman did? Personally? Someone is going to follow me for only so long before I turn and stand my ground.

As to standing your ground, it is perfectly acceptable (and legal) to stop (as in yourself coming to a halt) or even approach and make inquires of the individual following you as to his "INTENT". However as "following" some one is "NOT" illegal I'm certainly not going to "ATTACK" them ....... nothing in the law allows for that.

Your own tag line is "It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB.

Is that true or isn't it?

Of course it is, this incident is a spectacular example of it being true. Yet it has no bearing on what is legal v illegal, nor the "TRUTH" of this event.

He's getting indicted.

If that happens it will most likely be for strictly POLITICAL reasons and will be a huge waste of money.

The conversation went like this:

1. "Hey! Can I ask what you're doing here?"

2. "What's it to ya?"

1. "We've had some cars broken into and everyone is on the watch right now. I don't remember seeing you around here so I',m asking."

2. "Oh that sucks. I'm here to see my Aunt. She lives at (gave the number). You wanna talk to her?"

And so the conversation went between me and some youngster I didn't recognize in my neighborhood while I was out for a walk. And GASP! I had my EDC on me.

I don't understand why some are railing against Zimmerman on the basis that he is part of the Neighborhood watch and that he's called the police so many times to report issues he saw as suspicious. As part of the neighborhood watch I'll bet I have had at least a dozen contacts with the Sheriff over the same reasons. Does that make me a "wanna-be cop" because I care about what goes on in my neighborhood?

I'm not condoning the outcome of the incident. It is a tragedy that turned out the way it did. Both families will be dealing with the aftermath the rest of their lives. But we can't rush to judgement on innuendo, rumors, hear say and especially the crap the media is dumping on the populace.

The media is being driven by the racist frenzy being whipped up by the likes of Farricon (sp) and Sharpton. The idiotic talking heads want to try this in their court of public opinion where they control the conversation and verdict. And from the looks of a lot of what I've read in here, the media is winning the battle.

Martin was on the phone with his girlfriend. She heard conversation between Martin and Zimmerman to the effect of GZ asking TM why he was in the area, and TM asking GZ why he was following him.

The call was cut off.

Then at some point a witness saw TM on top of GZ.

But we don't know what happened between the phone call cutoff and the witness seeing the fight.
The witness saw TM on top of GZ, but he didn't see how that happened. We don't know if GZ grabbed TM's arm, or if TM tackled GZ. Either would be an assault.

I maintain that if GZ tried to detain TM, then TM had an absolute right to try to get away from GZ. Reports are now saying GZ wasn't "on duty" that night, so TM had even less of a duty to stop for him.

How many people here would have stopped for GZ in the same situation? How many would have kept walking, ignoring him?

How many people here would have stopped for GZ in the same situation? How many would have kept walking, ignoring him?

Most people would have either ignored GZ or called 911 to report him ...... TM did neither.

However as "following" some one is "NOT" illegal I'm certainly not going to "ATTACK" them ....... nothing in the law allows for that.
As I don't know FL law, is following someone legal in FL? It is not in many states. For example, NYS Penal Law:

Section 240.26 Harassment in the second degree

A person is guilty of harassment in the second degree when, with intent to harass, annoy or alarm another person:

1. He or she strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise subjects such other person to physical contact, or attempts or threatens to do the same; or

2. He or she follows a person in or about a public place or places.

Under NYS law it is not an affirmative defense nor is the party exempt from charges if they're following someone and are not licensed as a security guard, private investigator or LEO.

As I don't know FL law, is following someone legal in FL? It is not in many states. For example, NYS Penal Law:

Section 240.26 Harassment in the second degree

A person is guilty of harassment in the second degree when, with intent to harass, annoy or alarm another person:

1. He or she strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise subjects such other person to physical contact, or attempts or threatens to do the same; or

2. He or she follows a person in or about a public place or places.

Under NYS law it is not an affirmative defense nor is the party exempt from charges if they're following someone and are not licensed as a security guard, private investigator or LEO.

The operative portion of your NY statute is "with intent". Reporting a suspicious person and following same in order to keep the Police dispatcher apprised of the subjects location isn't going to meet that requirement.

FS [SIZE=-1] 784.048[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] Stalking; definitions; penalties.—(1) As used in this section, the term:(a) “Harass” means to engage in a course of conduct directed at a specific person that causes substantial emotional distress in such person and serves no legitimate purpose.[/SIZE]
Reporting a suspicious person and following same in order to keep the Police dispatcher apprised of the subjects location isn't going to meet that requirement either.
[SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]

The operative portion of your NY statute is "with intent". Reporting a suspicious person and following same in order to keep the Police dispatcher apprised of the subjects location isn't going to meet that requirement.
Understood. We don't know what Zimmerman's actual intent was. Could be that he just handled the situation poorly. I think this is a learning experience for a lot of people. I like your tag line and live by that same rule.

I try to remember not to do something while armed that I wouldn't do while unarmed. I don't want my weapon to be an excuse for taking a risk I otherwise would not take.

I wonder if Mr. Zimmerman would have acted differently if he were not armed.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

That my friend, sums up this story.

I've seen several posters here note that Treyvon's father said the cry for help was not his son's voice. Actually, several days ago, allegedly after the recording was "cleaned up", he recanted that statement, and now claims it is his son's voice crying for help.

I don't necessarily agree with this, but it is now the mantra of the father, the mother, Rev. Al & Jesse, and, apparently, several million folks.

I guess the father can be forgiven for recanting statements tending to support Zimmerman's version of events, but the fact is, the eye-witness to the fight, who was only feet away from the combatants, clearly identified Zimmerman ("the one in the red sweater" are the words he used) as looking right at him and screaming for help. If that witness had actually responded to Z's pleas, perhaps the shooting never would have happened. In any case, I'm going with the eye-witness account, rather than the revised version of the dad's unequivocal statement that it wasn't his son doing the pleading.

Blues

Zimmerman was an idiot

The guy that shot Trayvon should be arrested and put on trial. But he does deserve the same "innocent until proven guilty" right that everyone gets.
As for your assertion that young blacks are unfairly targeted, I know some if that goes on. But racism is not solely a white problem. Personally, it doesn't matter what your skin color is, if you choose to dress as a gangbanger, you will be treated as such.

Reporting a suspicious person and following same in order to keep the Police dispatcher apprised of the subjects location isn't going to meet that requirement either.
[SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]
But as you seem to like to conveniently leave out "we don't need you to do that". And so it can be brought to the point of harassment if he continued. It will all be about a timeframe that the Sanford PD can't provide because they didn't do their job.

But as you seem to like to conveniently leave out "we don't need you to do that". And so it can be brought to the point of harassment if he continued. It will all be about a timeframe that the Sanford PD can't provide because they didn't do their job.

I don't know what planet that inane logic would work on but it isn't Planet Earth.
4jorr6_th.jpg

As has been posted previously ....... as well as having been acknowledge by LE ...... the dispatcher has no authority to give anyone "orders". Further "we don't need you to do that" does not translates as to "stop", not even on Mars ....................... or Ohio.

Link Removed

I know I am not the smartest but why is it so hard for them to due forensics to see what direction the bullet entered Trayvon's body, If it does not enter Trayvon's body at an upwards angel then that should be enough evidence to arrest Zimmerman.

Also the statements made by Trayvon's girlfriend does not help. If Trayvon was afraid why did he not call 911?

The bottom line in this whole tragedy is whether GZ is found guilty or not is up to a jury. We can hash this seven ways to Sunday and it doesn't mean squat. The best any of us can do is take a good hard look inside and ask ourselves what is worth pulling your weapon for. Is it worth putting yourself in a volatle situation like this where you may have to use your weapon or would the better choice have been call it in stay in your vehicle and let the law do there job. GZ was under no obligation to get out of his vehicle and confront this kid. He made a personal choice to do so that in my opinion was a very poor choice. And it makes no difference whether he was justified in pulling his weapon or not the bottom line is his life is forever changed and will never be the same ever.

Yes, two can play that game. It works better if the photo you're claiming is of the dead kid is actually of the dead kid.

Link Removed

A lot of people jumped on that bandwagon and few people are admitting their error in doing so.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back