what should i do now?

Thanks fudo, please forgive me for another dumb question. Speaking of sites, the gun comes with sites attached when you buy it right?
Aren't they part of the gun? Or is this something additional you need to purchase and attache to the gun?
Thanks for your reply.

Guns typically come with sights attached, except for some hunting rifles that are made to use with telescopic sights. The handgun you mat buy could be a perfectly serviceable, reliable weapon, coming with one of a hundred different sights on it. The sights are a compromise of features meant to appeal to as many people as possible. But the sights that come on your otherwise serviceable gun may be hard for you to see, or align properly. So you can change the sights to suit your needs.

Not a dumb question at all.

All guns come standard with at least rudimentary sighting systems, some with slightly higher-performance systems, and some with fairly complicated systems.

The most basic system that all handguns come with will look like some (minor) variation of the picture that Wyldekard posted for you. In the most basic configuration, both the rear and front sights are machined or otherwise permanently hard-mounted to the frame/slide/barrel, meaning there's no adjustment available to the user.

A slightly higher-tech system will have the rear sight mounted by a "dovetail" notch machined into the frame (revolver) or slide (semi-auto like the XD you shot) so that it can be adjusted by tapping it with a drift and a small hammer side-to-side to adjust for windage.

The next higher-tech system is the rear sight having the ability to be adjusted by a screw. The basic adjustable sight will only have windage (horizontal) adjustment, and a slightly more functional one will have both windage and vertical adjustment.

From there, you can get standard sights that have glow-in-the-dark dots to aid in aligning your front and rear sights in low light.

When you hear terms like "red dot sights" or "holographic" or "reflex" sights, in almost every case, you're hearing about an add-on sighting system that would not come as a stock feature of your handgun. I've never looked into stats on which kinds of systems sell better, but there are two basic ways to mount a red dot sight, which when talking about a handgun for self defense purposes, you are usually referring to a laser sight. The two mounting systems are via an accessory rail built into the frame of the weapon, or via a system built into the grip of the weapon. The XD that you shot has a rail along the bottom of the frame, in front of the trigger guard. I personally like the rail system because it is more versatile than mounting the laser in the grip, but both can be very helpful in acquiring your target, especially for follow-up shots. They also can be a distraction for some people, especially for those, like a lot of us here, who are just so ummm.....ancient (LOL), that we are akin to trying to teach an old dog new tricks.

Anyway, here's a couple of pics of one of my guns that does have fully adjustable (windage and vertical) sights, night-sight dots, a rail that you can see in the first pic without anything attached, and in the second pic, with a combination flashlight and laser mounted on it.

Link Removed

Link Removed

And here's one where you can see what the night-sights are designed to do. The pic is retouched to exaggerate the GID dots, but that's only because it was taken during the day and you couldn't tell they were night-sights if I didn't do that. In low-light, they would look similar to how they look here:

Link Removed

Hope that helps. Keep asking questions. It will really help you when you go to buy a gun.

Blues

Very good explanation, great post. Not ancient, but been around the track a lot.:biggrin:

Treo - Yesterday 10:31 AM - permalink Report

Our favorite troll (beagle eyes) got the boot this morning.

Wonder how long it will be till her sock puppet super princess suffers a similar fate.

..............................................................................................................................

Ha..Ha..Ha..Why the jealousy???? Do I have to many heroes for you????....Laughing out loud..... signed superprincess...

Treo, Guess What You Are Now On My Igonore List!

Thanks fudo and bluesstringer, for the replys, today I will go to the shooting range and
give it another shot! I will update you on how the session went. Wish me luck.

Thanks again for the excellent help.
You guys are my heroes!

I've been gone for a ............ ahhhhh ......... few pages and come back to
a3yx79.jpg
1621hm0_th.jpg
2v7z1v7_th.jpg
986khk_th.jpg

First you'll need to apply for a "buyers permit" at your local Sherriffs office

Excuse my ignorance but what the hell is a buyer's permit and what happens when you get one? Are you then pre-approved to purchase and carry any weapon or does one still have to get a carry permit and if the latter is the case it seems a bit redundant. Glad I don't live in your state.

You don't need anything like that here, in Oklahoma either. I'm from Phila. and don't miss it at all.

Excuse my ignorance but what the hell is a buyer's permit and what happens when you get one? Are you then pre-approved to purchase and carry any weapon or does one still have to get a carry permit and if the latter is the case it seems a bit redundant. Glad I don't live in your state.

Here in Minnesota, if you want to purchase a handgun or an AR you have to get a permit to purchase which is exactly that. With a permit to purchase, you can only buy handguns and ARs with it. You still have to get a carry permit to be able to carry a handgun.

Now if you get a Permit to carry, you don't have to have a permit to purchase as your Permit to carry is your permit to purchase as well. Ass backwards I know... Glad I just went out and got my Permit to carry right away. :crazy_pilot:

Treo - Yesterday 10:31 AM - permalink Report

Our favorite troll (beagle eyes) got the boot this morning.

Wonder how long it will be till her sock puppet super princess suffers a similar fate.

..............................................................................................................................

Ha..Ha..Ha..Why the jealousy???? Do I have to many heroes for you????....Laughing out loud..... signed superprincess...

Treo, Guess What You Are Now On My Igonore List!

I call shenanigans!! :agree:

Hi everyone, only four more days until I will have my gun permit. I wish to take the concealed carry class asap.
Can't wait! I wish you guys were here to go to the shooting range with me. I can use all of the pointers I can
get. Thanks alot for everyone's help.

hi princess. i'd go to the range with you if you lived closer! wow congrats you already getting your permit! wow that was quick turnaround time....i'm still waiting for mine. i saw they cashed my check the 17th of may so i might have to wait 90 days from that date ;( but meanwhile i'm getting as much training as i can. i'm taking a defense class in my area early july so that will be fun working out different scenarios and tactics .. me and my son are both going to go although he is very well trained already, he says it never hurts to train......and i agree and i always like good quality time with my son as well. he just weedeated the backyard for me and it looks real good ..i couldn't have asked for a better son he's been really helpful all around and in helping me train with guns as well and a good teacher too.
i done trained him right and well as a child so now he trains me well with his knowledge as an adult

hi princess. i'd go to the range with you if you lived closer! wow congrats you already getting your permit! wow that was quick turnaround time....i'm still waiting for mine. i saw they cashed my check the 17th of may so i might have to wait 90 days from that date ;( but meanwhile i'm getting as much training as i can. i'm taking a defense class in my area early july so that will be fun working out different scenarios and tactics .. me and my son are both going to go although he is very well trained already, he says it never hurts to train......and i agree and i always like good quality time with my son as well. he just weedeated the backyard for me and it looks real good ..i couldn't have asked for a better son he's been really helpful all around and in helping me train with guns as well and a good teacher too.
i done trained him right and well as a child so now he trains me well with his knowledge as an adult

Thanks eagleeyes, Maybe someday I will move to Florida and we can go to the shooting range. I would really want to carry concealed
there because I don't want to get ate by an alligator, or a cannibal. Sounds like you have a very fine son and you are very proud of him. I am happy he is helping you train. Pay close attention and I am sure you will do well.

The permit will be here soon, I can't wait for it, there is only three more days and will be able to buy the gun which I choose. The lady said for me to come by on the 20th and pick it up, if I haven't received a letter in the mail. There is a class for the concealed carry liscence in early July, which I would like to take. Maybe I should practice more.
Why does it take so long to receive the concealed carry liscence? 90 days seems like a long time to wait.

Good luck with the self-defense class!

Thanks fudo,
I have to do alot more research. The concealed carry class I would like to take is in early July and
it is best to be prepared. Thanks for your reply.

Hi everyone, only four more days until I will have my gun permit. I wish to take the concealed carry class asap.
Can't wait! I wish you guys were here to go to the shooting range with me. I can use all of the pointers I can
get. Thanks alot for everyone's help.

Never mind us, most of us are just a bunch of old opinionated blowhards, LOL, just listen to your instructor, pay special attention to the various concealed carry laws he will tell you about, and when you shoot, hold your weapon properly, don't get in a hurry, and remember to "squeeze" and not jurk the trigger, and remember they are not looking for pistoleros, they just want to know your not going to shoot yourself, and mostly hit what you aim at

Never mind us, most of us are just a bunch of old opinionated blowhards, LOL, just listen to your instructor, pay special attention to the various concealed carry laws he will tell you about, and when you shoot, hold your weapon properly, don't get in a hurry, and remember to "squeeze" and not jurk the trigger, and remember they are not looking for pistoleros, they just want to know your not going to shoot yourself, and mostly hit what you aim at
Thanks Rocketgeezer, I am looking forward to receiving my concealed carry also. Thanks for these tips, Last time I think that was where I went wrong, it wasn't a squeeze. Have a great day!

Angular Shift Error:

If the shooter does not observe correct aiming (maintaining the top surface of the centered front sight on a level with the top of the rear sight and equal light space on each side of the front sight) there will be few accurate shots. Most often, he/she locates the front sight in a different position in the rear notch. This accounts for a greater dispersion of shots on the target, since the bullets will deviate in the direction in which the front sight is positioned in the notch. (Figure 2-2). This aiming error is known as angular shift error.

Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back