what should i do now?

superprincess

hi everyone.. just want you all to know i was robbed tonight
by a young black male wearing a red hoodie and dark pants.
i was so nervous when i couldn't get the safe open.. i almost
wet my pants when i heard him clicking the gun.. i know what
you are thinking does she have a gun and the answer is no..
i need to get one fast because i don't like the way being a
victim feels..

First you'll need to apply for a "buyers permit" at your local Sherriffs office, and depending where you are in NC and how "busy" they are it could be a quick as 24 hours to do your background check. I know here in Rowan I had mine the next day. Also if this was at work you'd have to check Company Policy on employee's being armed. I'd also look into a CCW Permit, and get the right weapon for you. Try a few different handguns out before you make the purchase. What works for some may NOT be good for you. Also try different types of rounds, some kick more than others. If you can't control it, it's not gonna help.
Glad you still around to talk about it though. I know you're gonna be a bit edgy for awhile. That "paranoia" can or will work with or against ya.

Everyone eventually gets tired of being a victim, and how it feels, so eventually they then get smart and arm themselves.

Don't forget there is a lot of training you will also need.

In addition you need to learn to spot and avoid dangerous situations.

And once spotted, if you cannot avoid, then you need to act quickly and decisively and pre-emptively.

Good luck.

Glad to hear you're OK. Getting robbed is a life changing event.
Since you are about to become "one of us"??, try to keep current on this forum. There is a tremendous amout of information available. The discussions have made me re-evaluate much of my training & the way I evaluate a situation.
Welcome to the family.

Malik67 summed it up pretty good. This forum has a wealth of information and a lot of BS too ... ;)

Try numerous firearms at a local range if at all possible. Reach out to other females on this forum.

Glad you are okay and hope you don't have to go through that again.

wow sorry you got robbed glad you didn't get shot
was this at home or your place of work or business?
hope they catch the punk
anybody else witness it ?
any cameras could have seen him?

Sorry you had to experience that but glad you can see more clearly now that it's done. Research, training and an open mind are key. Be eclectic in your development and instruction. There are things that work for some but not others. There isn't one right answer but there are many. Once you feel you've got it, train some more and you'll find that you don't. Come on in.... the waters fine.

hi everyone.. just want you all to know i was robbed tonight
by a young black male wearing a red hoodie and dark pants.
i was so nervous when i couldn't get the safe open.. i almost
wet my pants when i heard him clicking the gun.. i know what
you are thinking does she have a gun and the answer is no..
i need to get one fast because i don't like the way being a
victim feels..

I'm sorry that you had to go through such a traumatic experience.

You basically have 'two' choices.

1) Refuse to be a victim of violent crime again and be prepared to 'protect yourself'.
2) Continue to remain helpless while depending on law enforcement to 'protect you'.

Whatever you decide to do, just remember this;
"When seconds count the police are minutes away."

Also, get counseling, if you think you need it. I know people, particularly women, who have suffered psychological effects from robberies and home invasions, even if they were unharmed physically.

i had a home invasion once which freaked me for at least a year
i had a friend spend the night she was sleeping on my sofa i was in my room and my son was only about 2 at the time and he slept with me in the small one bedroom apt i had then
well some guy was feeling up my leg getting close to my private parts i was awakened by the feeling of the hand massaging my leg and moving up toward my crotch and i was thinking it was my friend trying to get fresh with me so i opened my eyes to see and it was some guy naked as a jay bird i got up and chased him out the house and called the cops the cop came and blamed it on me he wasn't helpful at all didn't even take finger prints or anything he was a short thin man and had one of my pillow cases in his hand when i chased him out the back door i was looking out far only to find he was by the aircondition unit just standing there with my pillow case in his hand i went to kick his ass and he ran off......i woke my friend who had her purse right on my kitchen table and he didn't even touch it .......the cops kept asking me if i knew him and i kept telling him no i didn't i dont' know people that would break through my bathroom window and touch me like that.......ugh needless to say i had trouble going to sleep for a good part of a year in fear he would come back he never did and i don't think the cops did anything to find that pervert either......my friend laughed when i told her i thought it was her until i opened my eyes and saw it wasn't
i can laugh about that now but at the time and a while after i was pretty freaked out esp at night time always thinking he could be out there looking in my windows and kept my curtains drawn i didn't have a gun at the time

I'm very sorry you were victimized by a thug. The only good thing to come of it is you realized you have to protect yourself. I'm sure you feel a strong urge to hurry in acquiring a weapon. That is completely understandable, but don't move so fast that you end up with a weapon that isn't suited for you physically and mentally. Take the time to find one that fits your hand and body. One to that also gives you confidence that it will never let you down when you need it most. Just don't let the process drag on to long. I'm glad you were physically unharmed. Best wishes for your search for a weapon!

Yes this was at work. I hope the police catch him, he may do this again and the next person may not be so lucky to make it out alive. I am scared that maybe he will try to victimize me again. I guess that means I am paranoid. Thanks so much for your advice. I love your quote " Lifes too short to take seriously, besides, you'll never make it out alive. First time I heard that one.

Last edited:
Yes this was at work. I hope the police catch him, he may do this again and the next person may not be so lucky
to make it out alive. I am scared that maybe he will try to victimize me again. I guess that means I am
paranoid. Thanks so much for your advice. I love your quote " Lifes too short to take seriously, besides,
you'll never make it out alive. First time I heard that one.

Not everyone is cut out to protect themselves, SP. If you are cut out, in the first place, it then requires equipment and training and continuous practice.

If you are not, don't feel bad. Change your environment in that case. Get another job.

Find someone who will protect you, if you must.

hopefully everyone at your job will be on the alert and watchful .............perhaps a plan with your coworkers for personal safety like not being alone if at all possible or installing a camera at the main entrance or something to that effect
again best wishes and speedy recovery from that traumatic experience

Fill out permit app and wait to get a handhun. Or go to local gunshop and ask for a 410 or higher gauge pump or automatic. My 8 yr old shoot a 410. You should be able to handle it. Then when permit comes get your pistol of choice. Btw sign up for soonest concealed class. It is a long process but worth it

Don't show you are vulnerable...Confidence, shoulders up, eyes scanning your location before you even step out of your cubicle, office, building, doors, on your way to the car, everywhere. Situational alertness is the key to not being victimized. In the meantime, get a pepper spray or something to protect you while you are waiting for your permit and while looking for a suitable gun for yourself. It will not kill anyone that you will hit with it but at least you can run ....

When I go to apply for the buyers permit, should I ask the
sheriffs department for info on training classes? Do you
know if they have training classes?

When I go to apply for the buyers permit, should I ask the
sheriffs department for info on training classes? Do you
know if they have training classes?
Goggle shooting ranges in your area or gun stores. Call them up if they have a shooting range. Usually the ones that do offer very basic classes. And then they will also have some recommendations. Start from there. I will advise you to go to a gun store to fit yourself with a gun...It is only you that will be able to know what sort you want after holding some, touching some and comparing them...and of course for the price you can afford. These all marry together.

Then go look for instructions. It can be anywhere (not internet) -- advices from the NC people here at the forum, the gun stores...take your pick. There are quite a few instructors here in this forum....Good luck...and keep safe out there...

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back