Waffle House Shooting (Good Guy Wins)

Folks,
I read thru this entire thread and I have a few observations/comments..
Like RRman, I live not too far away..

As a Marine veteran, I applaud how the CCP holder acted. Acceptable and justified actions based on training, abilities situationally dictated.
As someone who has met Sheriff Chuck Wright, and even shared dinner at a veterans group with the man when he first became Sheriff, again I applaud... Sheriff Wright has always supported veterans, and he NEVER forgets a face..
I ran into him a year ago, and he remembered me from the dinner 4 years earlier... AND I AM NOT A VOTER IN HIS AREA!!!!

My take on the situation is I would rather act before it went south..
MY WHAT IFs/Comments:
1. The BG actually found or got my weapon and used it on me or others? how would I feel?
2. What if I did not act and someone got killed? I would feel it to be my fault IF I had the opportunity to act safely.
3. At what point am I so sheepish that I would fail to act when I could do so ?
4. I have been in Waffle Houses and even carry in them... IF this is happening in my area.. I have to mentally think about this more than I considered in the past...
5. If you are a CCP holder, you MUST be prepared in case you do have to unholster and prepare to fire...
---- Prepared mentally, and as R.Lee Ermy says-- LOCKED AND LOADED...
6. This young man deserves a hearty pat on the back. He did something MANY could not do.

WHAT I AM NOT SAYING: IF carrying, pull it and shoot...

YOU MUST Be situational...
YOU MUST be prepared....
if you need to pull that weapon, think like a Samurai.. If it comes out, it will draw blood.

It will be interesting if the young man comes forward.. But I suspect his name will not be released....

One closing comment....
I know a group of folks that are all getting their CCP.. and they told me that MANY of the places that teach the SC class are BOOKED thru the end of FEB....

Interesting huh???

RT

Localgirl...
It aint just waffle house.... It was the combination of the time, and the location... I have eaten at the WH during regular hours.. and not been worried....
NOW at 1 AM??? um... not normal.....

ALOT of places have been robbed.. EVEN MCDONALDS!!!
Here is a youtube of that:

Hardees anyone??
Link Removed

KFC??
Link Removed

I think Sheriff Wright is on target with we have to stand up and stop the 5 or 6 % of bad guys out there....
BUT we need to do it safely, in a controlled manner with the right situational effects......

NO MATTER WHAT-- you can't just hide from places that have been robbed... EVERY type of place has been robbed.... We just need to be situationally aware..

OH MAN... FLASHBACK... 1993-- An OLD COMMANDING OFFICER when I was in the Marines...
His favorite guidance was "Marines, when you go out in the vill, KEEP YOUR HEAD ON A SWIVEL.. Come back alive, uninjured, and safe... Look out for the idiots that want to cause you trouble, protect yourself and your family and be smart about it...."

Good night Chesty Puller... Wherever you may be....

Semper FI, RT

RT

well got damn, i'm almost ready to move to spartanburg, sc! we should be honored to have a sheriff like him who's in law enforcement that is for the people...

this is the kind of lower government i want in my county, although in pa we'd probably treat criminals like dead highway dear!

I get what you're saying about everything else, but you wouldn't feel a civic duty to be a witness after the robber was long gone?

Not even a little bit. I'm sure the other patron's statements would be more than sufficent

OK, no sense of civic duty....What if there was a legal duty to give a witness report? Would you break a law and still slip out the back door before the cops got there?

That's what it is all about. I wish these people who put up No Guns Allow would get the picture. One man and two subjects, he attempted to hold then until LEO arrived. If someone has a gun pointed at you, it's fools to point yours at that person. One bad guy down good guys 0 and other bad one the loose. The citizen did what he had to. From a LEO, this man can back me up anyway.

It's as simple as this google (your state) laws on lethal force keep your ass covered of corse most of it is up to you weather or not the situation is in need of you to draw to protect the third person for instance I would only draw if the victim freezes due to the gun or knife being waved in their face at that time I feel the perp may try to hurt the victim due to them being frozen in fear because let's face it that person is in fear for there life and may have PTS due to the robbery I know my brother suffered from PTS after his work was robbed lucky he remained calm in the situation and told the BG who was holding him at knife point against the register he needed to let him move so he could open the drawer of corse the store figured oh we are in a little town we dont need to record but it turn out this little town was the meth lab capital of the state till our state boys cracked down on the disgusting scum bags manufacturing that **** and now there are only a few people here who are addicted to the drug and everybody who has half a brain knows meth users will do anything to get their drugs sorry that's just me ranting about these scum bags but my other brother had been in the back room if he had his ccw Some of you are trying to say he shouldn't intervene I know well that's different they are family everyone has family's even scum bag criminals as does the victim who's life may have been saved who's to say something couldn't have made the perp jump and pull the trigger taking the victims life in this case I would have to do the same and some may argue well that person will still have PTS but it's better than knowing the guy got away most do due to wear masks and premeditation of the crime

I'm glad you wrote that instead of saying it. Thats a bunch of words without a breath! :):)

KK

OK, no sense of civic duty....What if there was a legal duty to give a witness report? Would you break a law and still slip out the back door before the cops got there?

If I thought I could get a way w/it? Gone like yesterday's news

Dante Lamont Williams chose poorly, but then he looks like he's got an IQ 0f 6

Link Removed

Thank God he couldn't afford these, things might have turned out differently:

nyte-sytes.jpg

If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

I agree 100%. As I said in my original post we did not have all the information, and probably still don't. We now know that the gunman was moving the employees into a back room. This brings hostage taking into the scenario and therefore, a clear reason to draw the weapon. He is no longer just defending the money in the till.

He has also cleared the first hurtle, the sheriff has stated that he acted within the law. No DA would want to go against that video in court. Way to go Sheriff! This probably saved him $50-$100,000. It is not yet over. The next problem he could face is a wrongful death suit. Depending on SC law and the jury he drew that could be significant.

As I said, I am glad he did what he did. The more information that comes in the better I feel about the shoot. In the same situation I may well do as he did. If you do I will cheer for you as well. Just go into this situation with your eyes open.

They say no good deed goes unpunished. This man will pay a price both emotionally and financially. If you want to buy this guy a beer great, he'll need a few. If you know who he is send him a thank you note. Better yet put a few bucks in for attorney fees. If you don't think he needs an attorney remember this, a cop involved in a shooting gets an attorney, every cop every time.

I agree 100%. As I said in my original post we did not have all the information, and probably still don't. We now know that the gunman was moving the employees into a back room. This brings hostage taking into the scenario and therefore, a clear reason to draw the weapon. He is no longer just defending the money in the till.

He has also cleared the first hurtle, the sheriff has stated that he acted within the law. No DA would want to go against that video in court. Way to go Sheriff! This probably saved him $50-$100,000. It is not yet over. The next problem he could face is a wrongful death suit. Depending on SC law and the jury he drew that could be significant.

As I said, I am glad he did what he did. The more information that comes in the better I feel about the shoot. In the same situation I may well do as he did. If you do I will cheer for you as well. Just go into this situation with your eyes open.

They say no good deed goes unpunished. This man will pay a price both emotionally and financially. If you want to buy this guy a beer great, he'll need a few. If you know who he is send him a thank you note. Better yet put a few bucks in for attorney fees. If you don't think he needs an attorney remember this, a cop involved in a shooting gets an attorney, every cop every time.

I understand what you are saying. I also understand ridiculous lawsuits are progressed at times. Based on what we know, the thought of this guy being found guilty or liable for anything while saving others lives is just downright wrong.

Exactly why I would never vote for anyone from Mass. Maybe he should just stay at home and hide under the table. That way he hopefully will never encounter a BG and have to make a decision to protect himself, family, or friends. IMO the shooter should have taken them both out without so much as a verbal warning. The perps came into a business with gun in hand and fully capable of wounding/killing anyone-not just an employee. There are way too many examples of customers being killed by nuts. If a perp presents a weapon he is fair game for deadly force. To assume he is "friendly" is idiocy and asking for problems.

The SC Castle Doctrine Law refers to immunity if the incident happens within the home (dwelling), vehicle, or place of business.It states in part:"The General Assembly finds that it is proper for law-abiding citizens to protect themselves, their families, and others from intruders and attackers without fear of prosecution or civil action for acting in defense of themselves and others".

However I found this under the "Protection of Persons and Property Act":"A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in another place where he has a right to be, including, but not limited to, his place of business, has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his ground and meet force with force, including deadly force, if he reasonably believes it is necessary to prevent death or great bodily injury to himself or another person or to prevent the commission of a violent crime as defined in Section 16-1-60".

Wouldn't this law protect him from prosecution or civil action since he is in a place he has the right to be?

You can read the whole thing here: 2005-2006 Bill 4301: Protection of Persons and Property Act - South Carolina Legislature Online

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back