Ulster County Application

Ulster has issued many many pistol permits in the past few months. Most were restricted, but a few did come through unrestricted. I have also heard of a few denials, but those denials were reasonable.

Ulster has issued many many pistol permits in the past few months. Most were restricted, but a few did come through unrestricted. I have also heard of a few denials, but those denials were reasonable.
I believe the new judge is going to restrict permits also.Everyone that applies for a permit must remember that if they are known as a problem to the local PD your chances are slim to none for getting a pistol permit in Ulster or any county in NY.Good lesson learned!!!

I believe the new judge is going to restrict permits also.Everyone that applies for a permit must remember that if they are known as a problem to the local PD your chances are slim to none for getting a pistol permit in Ulster or any county in NY.Good lesson learned!!!

Wait a second,,,,,
Let me get this straight.
So because I have stood up for my rights and have expected an Officer of the Law to enforce the Law, when an individual is blatantly standing in front of said Officer and verbally threatening me bodily harm and to kill myself and my family (which has happened more than a few times), physically hitting my truck, pushing the Officer aside to attack me, has physically pushed me and my fiance aside and entered my home,has hit an Officer, and then these SAME officers do absolutely NOTHING. The Officers explain to me that you just need to let him run at the mouth, you need to let him be stupid. These Officers stand there as this man goes off, yelling, screaming, threatening my family personally, doing this in front of my children repeatedly. Insulting my young daughters.
I watch these same Officers show up when they are called, due to this behavior, and the first thing they do is walk up to this man and shake his hand with a "Whats up?'.
So I do, what I would hope, everyone hear would do to protect there own family. To hold these Officers accountable for their own actions because they fail to hold this man accountable for ANY of his actions.
So because of all of this, I am going to be held accountable and be denied my right to protect my families lives and my life because the Officers wont and do not?

When the LAW fails to protect an individual or his family it then becomes the individuals responsibility to protect all of it himself.

Hunter one I will have to respectfully disagree with you on this, your thinking is flawed, your logic is incorrect and your information on how things work is clouded in what it says, not how it all really works.

Wait a second,,,,,
So because I have stood up for my rights and have expected an Officer of the Law to enforce the Law, when an individual is blatantly standing in front of said Officer and verbally threatening me bodily harm and to kill myself and my family (which has happened more than a few times), physically hitting my truck, pushing the Officer aside to attack me, has physically pushed me and my fiance aside and entered my home,has hit an Officer, and then these SAME officers do absolutely NOTHING. The Officers explain to me that you just need to let him run at the mouth, you need to let him be stupid. These Officers stand there as this man goes off, yelling, screaming, threatening my family personally, doing this in front of my children repeatedly. Insulting my young daughters.
I watch these same Officers show up when they are called, due to this behavior, and the first thing they do is walk up to this man and shake his hand with a "Whats up?'.
So I do, what I would hope, everyone hear would do to protect there own family. To hold these Officers accountable for their own actions because they fail to hold this man accountable for ANY of his actions.
So because of all of this, I am going to be held accountable and be denied my right to protect my families lives and my life because the Officers wont and do not?

When the LAW fails to protect an individual or his family it then becomes the individuals responsibility to protect all of it himself.

Hunter one I will have to respectfully disagree with you on this, your thinking is flawed, your logic is incorrect and your information on how things work is clouded in what it says, not how it all really works.
I think your so screwed Luny,he pushed the police to hit you and your girl at your home and entered it as well WTF.A friendly hand shake calms things down a bit I guess.Your lawyer could have got you a unrestricted permit just from that.You don't have children with her so by law it's not a domestic FYI.Any cop I know who has been pushed would surely react to a guy that has done that.I was not there so its all hot air.Judge Shcneer would have been like wow that is some story you have....

Lunytoon95 the reason I don't believe this story is if that did happen he would be in jail.If you have an order of protection this would not happen because your girlfriend's ex-husband would be sent to jail for violating the OP.You are really out of luck here thinking I would buy a story like this when in reality this type of incident would be settled very quickly.You need to hire an attorney, instead your acting like a little child with your sad story.

Wait a second,,,,,

Hey Luny,

Don't take this as a personal attack or anything, but as an observer from the outside, it appears to me that you have some serious anger issues. Seems like you're angry with the police for whatever reason. Being that the state of NY is not a "shall issue" state, it would be in your best interest if the local LE agencies don't have ANYTHING negative to say about you when contacted in the course of your background investigation.

My advice would be to mellow out and stay under the radar while you wait for the required year to pass (before you can re-apply). You may even consider volunteering for one of the local LE agencies if that's something you're able/willing to do.

Once you're eligible to re-apply, go for it, and this time you'll be a little more prepared, having an idea of what to expect.

Good luck!

gf

Last edited:
Hunter, all I can say is this is the truth. Whether you believe me or not. Yes I am angry because this situation has been ongoing for years now. The system has failed repeatedly.
I am in constant contact with sheriffs and troopers who know what is going on and urge me to keep going and make sure I do everything I can to protect my family.
My offer is that anyone who wishes, either LE or just curious, to PM me. I will sit with you and show you mounds of proof from video, audio, police reports, to court orders. The more that know the better IMHO.
The system is a broken, perverted version of what we all think it is.

Hunter, all I can say is this is the truth. Whether you believe me or not. Yes I am angry because this situation has been ongoing for years now. The system has failed repeatedly.
I am in constant contact with sheriffs and troopers who know what is going on and urge me to keep going and make sure I do everything I can to protect my family.
My offer is that anyone who wishes, either LE or just curious, to PM me. I will sit with you and show you mounds of proof from video, audio, police reports, to court orders. The more that know the better IMHO.
Did you get a lawyer....

All I know is that you were denied a pistol permit.Your gripe is with many.It seems that if you have all this proof with video your problem with this girlfriends ex- husband would be an open and shut case.

WTF?! Why is this conversation taking place in so many different places on this board?
This guy needs someones help.And is trying his hardest by sending PM's.I think a good lawyer could help but it seems he is hoping for someone here to get him a pistol permit because the judge screwed him!!!

Hello, I dropped off my permit beginning of April. Im in the same boat as you guys. TOIVO, I have heard the same rumor about the CCW's coming back as defendants from "people" inside the system.
Im still waiting for my appointment for my face to face with the Judge. I will push for my CCW but I am aware that I will not get it.
I personally do not think its fair that because of a few knuckleheads who cant control themselves ( maybe they should have done better background checks?) that we all have to pay the price.
I know a few friends who have already gone in front of Judge Cahill. They have all said the Judge here in Ulster County blatantly states during court that "NO ONE can show him a "NEED" to carry concealed and he will not issue them"

WHERE IS OUR FAIR DAY IN COURT?

Ulster County is now like living just north of the city. With the rise of crime, home invasions, assaults, drugs, muggings and a slew of other crimes that are committed on good citizens every day in this county our right to protect our families and ourselves has been stripped from us. We are lucky to even hear about one tenth of the violent crimes that occur around us, they are not newsworthy enough.
Ulster County residents need to stand up and defend OUR rights!
If anyone has any info concerning getting this fixed please let me know, I am willing to volunteer time and energy to correct this perverted view of our "Elected" leaders.
I think that judge Cahill did issue unrestricted.Judge Shcneer issued many restricted permits.Remember the interview process is new.

This guy needs someones help.And is trying his hardest by sending PM's.I think a good lawyer could help but it seems he is hoping for someone here to get him a pistol permit because the judge screwed him!!!

Hunter, I dont know enough about the guy to pass judgment, but I do think that at a US Citizen he deserves to know why he was denied and it should be in writing. Look at it this way, once it is documented, he can get a lawyer to fight it and help him get his CCP, unless what he did was bad enough then he will NEVER be allowed a CCP. Either way its win-win. So can we let this one drop? Im not sure what else can be hashed out here? Just beating a dead horse if you ask me.

Hunter, I dont know enough about the guy to pass judgment, but I do think that at a US Citizen he deserves to know why he was denied and it should be in writing. Look at it this way, once it is documented, he can get a lawyer to fight it and help him get his CCP, unless what he did was bad enough then he will NEVER be allowed a CCP. Either way its win-win. So can we let this one drop? Im not sure what else can be hashed out here? Just beating a dead horse if you ask me.
This thread was for Ulster County.Any resident of said county should be very interested in how the pistol permit process is handled now since the judge does the interview.If your not a resident of the county or don't have any info regarding any news on this topic than you should not worry.

Just to give you an update, I finally had my interview with Ulster County Judge Schneer last week, and yes I actually had an interview with the judge, in the courtroom, with other applicants, police officers, and some attorneys present in the courtroom. It doesn't get much more formal than this, and somewhat intimidating. Having said that, I am actually surprised and glad that the Judge is taking this serious because I think putting a deadly weapon in someone's hand is serious business.

So if you're anticipating trying to get your CCW in Ulster County, here's what you can expect:

1) You'll be sworn in, similar to testifying in a legal matter.
2) The Judge will ask you your name and address, who you are living with, some basic employment history, why you want a CCW permit, and any training or experience you have with using firearms.
3) If you have some past legal issues, even if they are 20+ years old, they may come up so be prepared to discuss them.
4) Since I was requesting an unrestricted license, the judge asked me about my understanding of (paraphrasing) "rules of engagement". I think this is an important question as there have been some immature and irresponsible folks recently in our area that have brandished weapons or flashed them in an intimidating manner for dumb reasons (road rage, etc.). Reminder: CCW stands for Carrying a CONCEALED weapon. No one should know you are "packing heat" except the unfortunate individual(s) who may attempt to take your life.

This type of behavior hurts all of the responsible CCW applicants and gun owners, and in my opinion:
- If you have a short temper you should NOT be carrying a handgun.
- If you are irresponsible, a slacker, or abusive you should NOT be carrying a handgun.
- If you are a bully you should NOT be carrying a handgun.

5) Lastly, the Judge mentioned a great point/question I had not thought of, namely that by carrying a firearm, if you are disarmed by someone, this weapon could be used either against you or in a subsequent crime, and asked me how (paraphrasing) I planned on dealing with this risk. Notice that I am not stating the answers I gave, as these are unique to my situation as will be yours. The judge then stated I would be receiving a decision in the mail.

All in all I thought this process was appropriate. Be sure to be courteous and respectful to the Judge, and address him/her as "your Honor" in your responses to your questions.

A final item for all CCW holders to consider: The likelyhood of actually having to use a handgun out in public to defend yourself or your family is about the same as hitting the lottery. There are some Police officers that never have to unholster their weapon in an entire career. And I think down deep all of us hope we never have to use our weapon to harm another person. However - IF it does happen - you need to be very sensitive to what is behind your target, or behind the wall that is behind your target. More than likely your bullet is going to pass through your target and continue on it's merry way at high velocity. This could result in the serious injury or death of other INNOCENT men, women or children. I don't think any of us want that.

So bullet penetration and richochet awareness are crucial. This may be the last thing on your mind if this situation occurs with all the adrenaline rushing through your body and your heart pounding, but it needs to be an important consideration. JHP type ammo is safer in this regard. Avoid Glaser Safety Slugs except for in-home defense. I hope you consider doing this. You may save an innocent life or lives, maybe someone you know or love, by doing this and by being aware of all of this.

Link to a great ammo article (click the "more" link):
Link Removed

Stay safe.
This is what I learned,the judge does ask questions but if your not prepared than it reflects badly on you.I can say this that many of the applicant's were only given a restricted permit.Some have portrayed her as being the type who is not going to issue but deny.That was not the case as I found out.Listening to some knuckleheads nonsense stirred up a lot of debate.The judge was on her way out and sent all the remaining applicants to the new judge to do the interview.I support any law abiding civilian,if you were denied than you get a lawyer and let him take care of it.I am glad that the interview process was started here in Ulster County.I believe it may help the armed civilian understand the laws better if they are trained well keep the handgun concealed and out of sight.

guess thats over.anyway, i have heard that things right now are alot less restrictive and that williams isnt requiring interviews unless you a merit a second look.also heard that he processed a large number of permits like 75 or something at one time. all new applicants must take the safety course first before anything else.has anyone else heard anything?

guess thats over.anyway, i have heard that things right now are alot less restrictive and that williams isnt requiring interviews unless you a merit a second look.also heard that he processed a large number of permits like 75 or something at one time. all new applicants must take the safety course first before anything else.has anyone else heard anything?
That was fast,all that non sense for nothing.

Permits are moving

This is my first post, and for a very good reason. Lumpy is correct about Judge Williams expediting the permits. My friend spoke to him last week regarding the 70+ permits that were recently processed. I do not know if the interview with the judge is abated. All told, this is a move in the right direction!

New development. The court now requires a letter stating the reason why a concealed carry permit is requested. I thought this was covered on page one of the application.

Concealed Means Concealed

I am glad that the interview process was started here in Ulster County.I believe it may help the armed civilian understand the laws better if they are trained well keep the handgun concealed and out of sight.

That is the key in New York. Concealed is the only way to carry, and doing otherwise can cause the judge to revoke your permit or an arrest on your record. Concealed means concealed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back