Ulster County Application

Was this Ulster County where the judge issued an unrestricted permit to a non-shooter & hunter.It would be better to have this person restricted due to his lack of interest in being proficient in the use of his firearm.

Ammo supply

hi,i was just curious to know if this area(kingston) is experienceing the ammo shortage problems i keep hearing about in other parts of the country? anyone have any problems finding practice ammo? thanks in advance
Walmart in Middletown, Monticello has ammo- 9mm, 38 special, 40 S&W,45 ACP.Rifle ammo 223, 308,30-06 ,7mm mag,plenty of 12 gauge ammo,22LR.The ammo supply is fine now due to all the ammo companies running 24 hours a day to keep up with the civilian population demand.Law Enforcement did have difficulties for years since the conflict started in Iraq.With the cost of metals going up it has been more difficult to get ammo on shelves because gun stores can't afford to stock it.

Walmart in Middletown, Monticello has ammo- 9mm, 38 special, 40 S&W,45 ACP.Rifle ammo 223, 308,30-06 ,7mm mag,plenty of 12 gauge ammo,22LR.The ammo supply is fine now due to all the ammo companies running 24 hours a day to keep up with the civilian population demand.Law Enforcement did have difficulties for years since the conflict started in Iraq.With the cost of metals going up it has been more difficult to get ammo on shelves because gun stores can't afford to stock it.

Thanks for the update. Walmart in Kingston has very little ammo.

Was this Ulster County where the judge issued an unrestricted permit to a non-shooter & hunter.It would be better to have this person restricted due to his lack of interest in being proficient in the use of his firearm.

I completely agree. There have been plenty of qualified applicants in my opinion that have received a restricted permit and are extremely proficient with firearms.

hi,i was just curious to know if this area(kingston) is experienceing the ammo shortage problems i keep hearing about in other parts of the country? anyone have any problems finding practice ammo? thanks in advance

Kingston Wal-Mart is very low, as has been mentioned. Gander Mountain has more, but the prices are high. Dick's Sports in Kingston is low too, but the Dick's in Poughkeepsie has a much better supply. Their firearms manager seems to have his act together.

Sports Authority in Kingston is the sleeper--nobody seems to know that they sell firearms and ammo, so they often have stock when Dick's and Wal-Mart are out. They don't have a big selection, but I'd rather see two kinds of 9mm on the shelf than empty spaces for six or seven.

EDIT TO ADD: Also, Thruway Sporting Goods in Walden was pretty well stocked with ammo last time I was in there, which was about six weeks ago. Their prices are reasonable: not great but not bad.

Last edited:
Just an FYI,,,
Upon learning that the election was lost. Judge Schneer, Ulster County Supreme Court, has decided to not sign any permits that cross her bench.
She HAS chosen to pack them all up in a huge commercial envelope, seal it and address it to the incoming Judge. There is a huge stack of permits just sitting there. The poor clerks in the office cant open it to even see who's is in there.
Just offer some understanding and patience at the permit bureau. the "Officials" are playing games so we all get caught in the middle.
Just my 2cents.

Oh man that sucks. What a shitty thing to do. I'm glad to have voted her ass out! When does new judge get sworn in and take over?

Hahahahahahha,
I just recently found out my permit application has hereby been denied.
"Due to your background information and the personal interview, your application for a pistol permit is hereby denied, you may reapply in one year"

Just a few facts,
US Navy Combat Vet.
ZERO tickets, convictions or anything for that matter.
I own multiple properties in NY state.
Spoke to permit office, ladies in there even said "Wtf?" about my denial letter. As far as my understanding is, I would have to be denied by an Official SPECIF reason, that I may appeal at my choice.

The wonderful ladies in the permit office are going to try resubmitting my application to the new Judge Williams with a letter I have written. Apparently some of the background information that is run on all of us applicants also includes other persons who's names or DOBs are similar, even states that on the form. Judge Schneer chose to ignore this little fact and hold me responsible for other persons actions.

Any questions, comments or suggestions would be very welcome as I have no idea what to do or prepare for.

OMG! WTF? Im sorry man. That sucks! What judge/investigating officer denied you? What specifically did you do wrong?

If you were denied something was left out in your backround.If you were living in another county in the state that also can cause a problem.You need to explain every residence you had in the last five years,character referances can delay or prevent you from being approved.The investigator makes a recommendation to the judge to approve or deny but ultimately it is the judge who decides if your getting a permit.There may have been an associated hit because of a name & DOB but the police officer assigned to your case would have contacted you about the incident.From what it sounds like to me a group search was done in the county where you live and there may have been an incident that has you involved.I know how they coduct an investigation and many pistol permit applicants are unaware that all the police agencies in the county are contacted so if there was a incident like a disturbance you were involved in that may bring reason to deny you.If you were asked to reapply in one year you left out something in your backround.

Yea, thats my point. I have never been involved in anything, anywhere. I am a boring goody two shoes,,lol.
If there was a problem, question or concern anywhere. I figure the Ulster County Sheriff or the Judge herself would at least have some questions for me regarding it.
I was never asked anything pertaining to any information I provided or my background.
My letter of denial was a basic generic letter with no reference to "why".
Its just confusing. Looks like I need to get a lawyer.

Denied CCW

Don't over-react to the denial. It could have nothing to do with you. There could be a background issue with one of your four references, or one of them (if contacted) could have unintentionally said something that the investigating officer didn't like. There's also the political timing of all of this where one judge is heading out and another judge is being sworn in. Based on what you and others have written, I think chances are good this is the most likely reason.

n.bmp

Don't over-react to the denial. It could have nothing to do with you. There could be a background issue with one of your four references, or one of them (if contacted) could have unintentionally said something that the investigating officer didn't like. There's also the political timing of all of this where one judge is heading out and another judge is being sworn in. Based on what you and others have written, I think chances are good this is the most likely reason.

I agree. I have a feeling that timing may have something to do with it. Because you were told you could re-apply sounds to me like either something was missing (did you take the safety class?) or something to that extent. IF You did something wrong, chances are they would not bother telling you to reapply. I do know for a fact that Judge Schneer was no longer issuing permits when she found out she was not elected. She sent back a packet of applications that were not yet reviewed by her to the Sheriffs Office for Judge Williams. I am seriously hoping she did not just deny in progress applications.

I would appeal this IF there is not a logical reason for denial.

two things.first, a lawyer can help. i know a guy, not a friend.this is about five years ago, i asked him at a party if hed gotten his permit yet .he told me hed been denied because of a couple of assault arrests(dont know if they were convictions or not) he said he was gonna get a lawyer. i saw him again a few months later and he showed me his glock.imo he should never have gotten one. people like him ruin it for the rest of us.second, didnt u post that your local police and dep hated u and would nail you to a cross for any reason? im not judgeing whatever your reasons for causing them grief but id bet thats your problem .maybe they think you are anti law enforcement?

Went to the permit office today. Dropped off a letter to the new judge asking for reconsideration based on the generic letter of denial I received, per the office workers recommendations. Apparently I am not the only one and there are a "slew" of them that Schneer denied with no reason given, there is nothing even in the files as to the reason denied. Just simply "Denied".

My references were never contacted and they are all clean and permit holders themselves.
Now to sit and endure more of a wait,,,,hoping Judge Williams will look at them.

Went to the permit office today. Dropped off a letter to the new judge asking for reconsideration based on the generic letter of denial I received, per the office workers recommendations. Apparently I am not the only one and there are a "slew" of them that Schneer denied with no reason given, there is nothing even in the files as to the reason denied. Just simply "Denied".

My references were never contacted and they are all clean and permit holders themselves.
Now to sit and endure more of a wait,,,,hoping Judge Williams will look at them.

At this point..I would recommend talking to a lawyer. NY is a "may issue" state, and can deny you a permit for no reason. It is EXTREMELY difficult to get a permit after a denial, and almost any non-resident permit you apply for will look very hard at your application being you were denied. If and When Judge Williams looks at your application for review, I would ask him to strike from the record your denial.

Thanks to all of you for the info an help. Im going to wait just a bit to see what happens with Judge Williams and how he handles this. Remember, its not just me.
If after a few weeks nothing is happening, I will find a lawyer,,,,,,any suggestions? I dont want to just start cold callin them and have to interview a ton before I find a decent one. Anyone with experience?

Thanks to all of you for the info an help. Im going to wait just a bit to see what happens with Judge Williams and how he handles this. Remember, its not just me.
If after a few weeks nothing is happening, I will find a lawyer,,,,,,any suggestions? I dont want to just start cold callin them and have to interview a ton before I find a decent one. Anyone with experience?

Definitely keep us informed. I am contacting the NYS Rifle and Pistol Association tomorrow about this. Maybe they can find out some answers.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back