Ulster County Application

This is the time to obtain a ccw license. I should start another thread on a related subject, which is: I recently heard that folks with full carry are having the hunting/target restrictions imposed when they add a new gun on their license. Apparently if the original application stated hunting/target, and an unrestricted license was originally issued, the ammended license with +\- guns will have those restrictions. I want to call the pistol permit unit regarding this, but I do not want to open a can of worms.

Heifer, what county are you in? I'm in Ulster County, and we get two cards: one is the basic permit and the other is the list of your handguns. When you add or subtract a handgun from your permit, they only take the list card.

This is the time to obtain a ccw license. I should start another thread on a related subject, which is: I recently heard that folks with full carry are having the hunting/target restrictions imposed when they add a new gun on their license. Apparently if the original application stated hunting/target, and an unrestricted license was originally issued, the ammended license with +\- guns will have those restrictions. I want to call the pistol permit unit regarding this, but I do not want to open a can of worms.
This has happened to many people who have the old paper license also,not just Ulster County.Any time a new judge is elected or appointed to an upstate county,the judge may not wan't a civilian to be able to have an unrestricted license.Sullivan County has on the application that all licenses are going to be target/hunting.That you need to amend your license with the judge for a full carry.

The restriction doesn't matter. Legally, at least, you are not violating any law according the legal precedent. NY courts have determined that a license to carry is a license to carry no matter what restrictions may be stamped on the license. The worst that can happen to you if you are caught is that the judge who issued the license can pull it, but you will not be prosecuted for carrying illegally. ( unless, of course, you are doing something else illegal)

Heifer, Happy New Year to you too. I'm not sure what the deal is with those stories about restrictions being added. I thought only the issuing judge could do that. Do you have the two separate cards, or the old paper license?

The restriction doesn't matter. Legally, at least, you are not violating any law according the legal precedent. NY courts have determined that a license to carry is a license to carry no matter what restrictions may be stamped on the license. The worst that can happen to you if you are caught is that the judge who issued the license can pull it, but you will not be prosecuted for carrying illegally. ( unless, of course, you are doing something else illegal)
Why lose all your hard earned money for getting caught with a target restriction.You need to hire an attorney to get the license back.

Pistol Permit application in Kingston NY

I just received word from my application that I had turned in in October of 2010. I have a hearing scheduled with Judge Gilpatric. Does anyone have any experience with him? I have never heard of him before. Thank you in advance for your time.

I know of a fellow who went in front of Gilpatric and obtained an unrestricted license about a month and a half ago. As we all know, be ultra polite and address him as your honor. You need to state a good reason why you want a concealed carry license, for instance you hike and snow shoe regularly and experience rabid animals, coyotes, etc., which does not fit hunting/target restrictions. Good luck and please let us know how you make out.

Had interview with Judge Gilpatric

And all went rather well!!! Although, being a female, the experience was rather intimidating. He is issuing me a restricted permit. Restricted to hunting, fishing, camping, target, and to be able to carry when making bank deposits for my fiancee's company. He said I will be able to carry more than not and that it is going to be very broad. He then told me that after 1 year to put my application back through and he will entertain it for a full carry. Being as my background and references were excellent.He said he does not issue full carry on the first time through but was very polite and helpful and told me to resubmit next year. I was dressed in my suit and addressed him as your honor and he returned the respect. Now it is just a matter of waiting for it in the mail. He said about 2 weeks. I am fine with that. Thank you for your help guys!!

Jpeoniske- congratulations!! What gun are you planning to purchase. Too bad that you have to have another court date to apply for unrestricted. Glad you joined this forum, good folks with valuable insight.

Im trying to decide....

What my first firearm will be. Maybe someone will give some advice....Ive heard the Glock is a good first hand gun. I have seen many models but am not really crazy about them. I do however like a couple S&W, and a lot of the Taurus models. Anyone have any experience with anyone of these?? I am looking for something easy to conceal and carry. Not a whole lot of recoil, smaller frame and reliable. Thanks in advance for any input.

And also....I had my hearing on March 4th in Ulster County with Judge Gilpatric. He said I would be receiving my permit within 2 weeks. I have not received it as of yet....but I had a few questions. How exactly does it work? What am I looking for in the mail. A card? A paper? And what happens when I get whatever I am getting in the mail. How long does it take to have a handgun attached to my permit? Just a few questions....thanks for any help.

For revolvers: s&w model 638 in 38 spec. +p, may have a little too much recoil because of weighing 15 oz.; model 60 in same caliber, about 8 oz. heavier; Ruger LCR in same caliber. Semi-auto: Keltech P-11 9mm; Ruger LCP in .380. Just my opinion.

You will receive a letter in the mail from the Pistol Permit Clerk to pick up your license, then you purchase the gun, provide the bill of sale to the pistol clerk before picking up your gun and provide a purchase coupon to the seller. Then you can take possession of your gun.

You will receive two cards; your license, and card with the gun(s) associated with your license.

Long waiting time!!!

So, I had my hearing on March 4th. Judge Gilpatric in Ulster County told me I should be receiving it in the mail within 2 weeks. I called the pistol permit office on Friday and left a message. No response. So I went up to Kingston to the sheriff's office pistol permit and the ladies were extremely nice, they told me that they printed it and sent it to the judge on March 16th. She then told me that it is not uncommon to have it be awhile after the hearing. So here it is on Wednesday over a month from my hearing and still no permit. Now I know I am supposed to have patience. And I have had a lot of patience. But, I turned in my paperwork back in September and here it is April and still no permit. Ugh!!!! How much longer do I have to wait?

still waiting....

still have not received my permit in the mail. Boy, Ulster County sure takes their time. Anyone else have this problem?

So, I had my hearing on March 4th. Judge Gilpatric in Ulster County told me I should be receiving it in the mail within 2 weeks. I called the pistol permit office on Friday and left a message. No response. So I went up to Kingston to the sheriff's office pistol permit and the ladies were extremely nice, they told me that they printed it and sent it to the judge on March 16th. She then told me that it is not uncommon to have it be awhile after the hearing. So here it is on Wednesday over a month from my hearing and still no permit. Now I know I am supposed to have patience. And I have had a lot of patience. But, I turned in my paperwork back in September and here it is April and still no permit. Ugh!!!! How much longer do I have to wait?
did you get it yet?? I am approaching the 4 week mark with my wait

Congratulations on the permit. At Personal Protection Associates we provide permit services and have extensive experience dealing with Ulster. Yes, Ulster may take a while after approval to actually get the permit in hand. This is merely due to the backlog. When you call always ask for Maureen, she's wonderful to deal with.

I believe the permit will initially have some restrictions. After a year apply for an amendment to have the restrictions lifted. Prior to doing this I recommend you take either course "NRA Personal Protection In The Home" or "NRA Personal Protection Outside The Home." Basic and advanced are available in one weekend. This shows your judge that you have furthered your education on the law, concealed carry, tactical knowledge and safety. He is more inclined to grant the unrestricted permit with this in your background. At PPA, we're actually offering these classes in June in Plattekill, NY. As a member of USA Carry you are eligible or the club discounted price which is substantial (PPITH 8 hour - regular price $250, club price $150 / PPOTH 14 hour - regular price $325, club price $200). We have four NRA instructors on site, one per student on the firing line. Several hundred rounds of ammo are required. If you PM me with an email address I will forward the course descriptions and syllabus. Friends of USA Carry members are also offered the discount pricing. Our 100 yard outdoor range is located on 88 acres. We are fully insured.

Regarding a gun, I personally prefer a sub-compact Glock as a carry PP gun. It conceals deeply IWB and the reliability of the "safe action" design makes running the gun easy. As you mature you'll definitely get the bug and buy other guns. We offer a Glock at class to anyone who wants to use one. For home protection a revolver can be put into action by other members of the household (such as wife or daughter) without much experience. Although a shotgun is great, there's a lot of drywall to repair... ;-)

If you want more info feel free to PM me.

BTW trekmtbr89, where are you riding? Have your tried the Stewart Airport Park and Reserve. 32 miles of trail and 17 miles of fireroads on 7,000 acres. Great place to ride.

Thanks for the info. I actually used to ride quite a bit at Stewart. I've kinda of fallen off of the Mtn biking wagon though, however I am going to buy another bike this summer and get back into it again. Need to get back into shape!

Thanks for the info. I actually used to ride quite a bit at Stewart. I've kinda of fallen off of the Mtn biking wagon though, however I am going to buy another bike this summer and get back into it again. Need to get back into shape!
I hear you brother. I live a few miles from the land and haven't had a chance to ride much. Riding a Trek Fuel. Check Bethlehem Rod & Gun Club for a great range in Plattekill for $110 annual membership. Stocked hunting, fishing, trap, skeet, rifle, pistol. If you need a sponsor let me know. New memberships begin in June.

Plattekill rod & gun club - I remember a few years ago when I was surveying for my father-in-law. We were doing a survey for the Plattekill Post office and a gentleman approached me asking if I wanted to do some side work finding monumentation for the Rod & Gun clubs property lines. At the time I was unable, I wonder if you guys got that squared away. Right now I have access to some farm property with a nice 2 tier gravel pit that my buddy and I go shooting. I am not adverse to checking out the rod & gun club though! I like the idea of having some extra knowledge and experience around.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back