Tornadoes

JJFlash

Interesting afternoon, yesterday.

My business partner stopped at my office and asked: "Is that the sirens I hear?" Yup, sure is. So, outside we go (the authorities sound the civil defense sirens which means to "take cover" as tornadoes are about; around here, the sirens are the signal for everyone to go outside and gawk, which I did).

Holy smokes! Tornadoes everywhere! A big 'un about 15 miles west of town, another big 'un about 10 miles west, 2 smaller ones touched down at the airport about 3 miles west of town, and several north and east. Had one client, who operates a welding shop on his farmstead get a call from his daughter telling him a twister was headed for him. Sure enough, he sees it about a mile away. He and his wife contemplated going into the crawl space of his house but opt instead to pile into the pickup and take off. Good thing they did: the farmstead took a direct hit while he sat watching and completely blew the place to smithereens, right down to the concrete pad of his house.

My son was pinned down at work over in Minnesota where the twisters killed 1 person, criticallly injured another and blew some guy out of sight (still haven't found him) at our favorite bait shop/convenience store at the lake.

There were so many twisters around that I met several folks who had pictures on their cell phones. All in all, an interesting evening.

Wadena, MN really got hammered.

So, prayers out for families of those killed and for survivors who lost homes and businesses.

Wow. Tornadoes are not all that common in your neck of the woods are they? Your son was not hurt was he? Seems like there has been a lot of bad storms already this year.

Wow. Tornadoes are not all that common in your neck of the woods are they? Your son was not hurt was he? Seems like there has been a lot of bad storms already this year.

We're pretty far north, so it's not quite tornado alley, but they're around. I've seen maybe 12-15 in 20 years.

Son was ok, but he wasn't going anywhere, When he was about 15 (10 years ago), he got caught in a bad storm in his truck; he couldn't see to drive and parked. The storm blew his truck around a little and scared the crunch out of him (as it would have me, too). Since then, he takes the warnings pretty seriously.

LEO friend of mine just called: 35 tornadoes were confirmed. Unreal!

He was at the airport doing training with TSA and HS and they watched the twister approach. Just as it got to the southern end of the airport, it lifted, floated above the airport terminal (and all the people taking shelter) and then came back down on the north side. Talk about Divine intervention.

Look forward to the call, 6SC.

From the NOAA site:
NOUS43 KFGF 180207
PNSFGF
MNZ001>009-013>017-022>024-027>032-040-NDZ006>008-014>016-024-
026>030-038-039-049-052>054-181415-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND FORKS ND
907 PM CDT THU JUN 17 2010

...STORM DAMAGE SURVEY TEAMS PLANNED FOR FRIDAY JUNE 18...

IN THE WAKE OF THIS AFTERNOONS DEVASTATING TORNADO OUTBREAK
ACROSS PORTIONS OF EASTERN NORTH DAKOTA AND NORTHWESTERN
MINNESOTA...THE GRAND FORKS NWS WILL BE DEPLOYING DAMAGE SURVEY
TEAMS TO BETTER ASCERTAIN THE SEQUENCE AND MAGNITUDE OF THIS
EVENT.

ONE TEAM WILL VISIT THE HARDEST HIT AREAS OF WEST CENTRAL
MINNESOTA INCLUDING THE WADENA AREA. A SECOND TEAM WILL INSPECT
THE DAMAGES REPORTED IN THE FISHER...CROOKSTON AND MENTOR AREAS
OF NORTHWEST4 MINNESOTA. A THIRD TEAM WILL VISIT THE CENTRAL AND
NORTHERN RED RIVER VALLEY AREAS OF NORTH DAKOTA INCLUDING THE
MAYVILLE AND THOMPSON AREAS.

AT THIS TIME THE EXACT EXTENT OF THE DAMAGE OR THE ENHANCED
FUJITA SCALE OF THE TORNADOES THAT OCCURRED IS UNKNOWN.
PRELIMINARY INDICATIONS SUGGEST THAT SEVERAL OF THE TORNADOES
WERE AT LEAST EF3...POSSIBLY GREATER IN INTENSITY.

ALSO...PRELIMINARY STORM DATA SUGGESTS THAT AS MANY AS 20
TORNADOES MAY HAVE OCCURRED IN THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING HOURS. A
FINAL NUMBER WILL BE AVAILABLE WITHIN A FEW DAYS.

$$

EWENS
Link Removed

What that JJ guy forgot to mention is that the news of the out break of storms made a local TV station out of Detroit. I called JJ While He was standing out side listening for the sirens. Gee George, What are 'hem 'here cool clouds?

JJ, I'm glad the family and friends are safe...
And thank you for sending the weather this way. NOAA has issued a Storm watch for us now. :no:

I wish you guys could send some rain down to Texas. You can keep the tornadoes though we get more then we need already.

From the NOAA site:

Link Removed

What that JJ guy forgot to mention is that the news of the out break of storms made a local TV station out of Detroit. I called JJ While He was standing out side listening for the sirens. Gee George, What are 'hem 'here cool clouds?

And thank you for sending the weather this way. NOAA has issued a Storm watch for us now. :no:

I'm obviously pretty clueless when it takes friends from several states away to call me and tell me to take shelter! Pays to have friends who are retired and have the time to watch this stuff. If Ricbak and my partner hadn't said anything, I suppose I would just have sat here in my office until the windows blew out and then looked up...duh...:wacko:

Glad you and your son are ok, JJ. In Virginia we get hurricanes, but at least we get many days advance warning. Not with tornadoes! :fie: Stay safe, My Friend!
Prayers for ALL who have been adversely impacted by this horrendous weather.

From the NOAA site:

Link Removed

yep.. I've had my scanner on a bit listening to NOAA and HAM radio storm chasers.. interesting to hear.. and good to get heads up before the news stations even know.

JJ.. you and your family stay safe.. that's one thing guns can't really protect you from..:)

If Ricbak and my partner hadn't said anything, I suppose I would just have sat here in my office until the windows blew out and then looked up...duh...
Hmmm... Situational Awareness honed to a keen edge, huh? Glad you and your family are alright..sad to hear of the losses.

yep.. I've had my scanner on a bit listening to NOAA and HAM radio storm chasers.. interesting to hear.. and good to get heads up before the news stations even know.

JJ.. you and your family stay safe.. that's one thing guns can't really protect you from..:)

True Scarecrow but they sure come in handy when the looters show up after the destruction.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back