The Open Carry Argument

All true, but I hope you're not missing my point: His behaviour was well known inside that department - he had several other incidents, the youtube video wasn't the first. My point was that he should have been fired long ago due to the actions of his own department, not just because a video got out on the internet.

And I agree with your previous comments: I have no problem with people making their own decisions on informing an officer or not. I only disagree with being forced to do it.

Thanks,

No, I absolutely got your point. And you know as well as I do, that they all knew he was one episode away from possibly hurting or killing someone? But the code of ethics often gets overlooked in LE depts.

Actually, your license plate is run as soon as he/she has you pulled over. Not when you are being pursued? And it is the LICENSE PLATE that tells the officer if that vehicle is registered to a CHL. That is what the Sheriff's Dept. told me when I picked up my CHL the first time. After he/she has observed your DL or CHL, he may still run your information to check on wants and warrants. And probably will to see what kind of driving record you have as well. Just because you have a CHL, doesn't mean you didn't just commit some other crime recently? What I mean is...just because they know your a CHL by running your license plate, and by viewing your CHL, doesn't mean you didn't just beat your wife that day, or commit any other crime that would disqualify you from being a legally armed citizen any longer?

So by running your plate, and then your DL, and or your CHL; LE can check and double check any information that has to do with you, and your vehicle?

YOU SAID, "That's the reason you see stories of officers getting in fights and sometimes shot at traffic stops. They don't know what they got until they run the drivers license." I'm sorry, but I don't believe this to be the case at all? The reason, I believe you see stories of officers getting in fights and sometimes shot at traffic stops, is because they are dealing with criminals, not law abiding citizens? And it doesn't matter at that point whether they run the drivers license or not, does it?

Too many scenarios can be debated at a traffic stop. I'm certainly not going to entertain the idea. I just wanted to share with you that YES in OHIO they know you are CHL when they run your plate. They already have your name, address, etc... That's just the plate. Then they may ask to see your DL, registration, maybe even your CHL?

I agree with you, and it is what I said...the license plate is run AFTER you are pulled over. If the sheriff told you in ohio the plate tells them you are a cwp holder, the that is how it's done in OHIO.

As for what I said about cops getting shot at traffic stops because they didn't know what they had until they ran the DL, you seem to be a bit confused. You said they get shot by criminals, not CWP holders. DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if you are a CWP holder, that doesn't mean you will not shoot the cop for something. CWP holders HAVE been known to commit crimes.

You seem to just want to argue and do the childish one-up thing, just like your buddy Navy LCDR, who I think needs to start taking his meds again.

Have you quit taking your meds again? You seem to have a argumentative character about you. My State requires CWP holders to inform the officer we are carrying. Unlike you, I don't have a problem with that. And unlike you, I don't think it is an affront to me rights. In my opinion, only some lower educated conspiracy theorist nuts would think informing is the "GOVT" trying to get one over on you. SHEESH! Give ME a break!!

Have you quit taking your meds again? You seem to have a argumentative character about you. My State requires CWP holders to inform the officer we are carrying. Unlike you, I don't have a problem with that. And unlike you, I don't think it is an affront to me rights. In my opinion, only some lower educated conspiracy theorist nuts would think informing is the "GOVT" trying to get one over on you. SHEESH! Give ME a break!!

A long long time ago I learned to stop digging when I find myself in a hole.

In your case, you need to stop cranking up the power shovel....

No offense.

FTG-05:250852 said:

A long long time ago I learned to stop digging when I find myself in a hole.

In your case, you need to stop cranking up the power shovel....

No offense.

Gov may have a base for his arguments but turned to insulting, ruining any argument he had. Not only is he digging with a power shovel, he is burying himself in the hole.

You seem to just want to argue and do the childish one-up thing, just like your buddy Navy LCDR, who I think needs to start taking his meds again.

Didn't realize I was acting "childish" or "one-up-ing" anybody DAD! As for taking meds....maybe you oughta try a "chill pill" there yourself Dr. Love? I thought we were having an adult conversation here? I'm not here to run anyone in the ditch, but I'm not gonna be run in it by anyone either. You can play nice, or be a d*ck if you want to. But sooner than later, no one is going to respond to anything you post if all your gonna do is attack them. I've seen a bit of "needling" goin on here, but it ain't any worse than some other forums I've been on? Calling someone childish, or telling someone they need to get back on their meds, is just pickin for a fight.

Now do we want to discuss OC, or trade name-calling back and forth like a bunch of elementary school girls?
I responded to your post as intelligently as I could, and without attacking you. I've read it over again, and I don't see where I attacked you in any way? If I'm not entitled to have an opinion on anything you post from now on, just let me know. I'm sure someone else will take up my slack though! Maybe some of the others were right about that username of yours? Some of your rhetoric is sure starting to sound familiar! No hard feelings here though...I'm here to share and learn Daddy-O.

As for our debate....this is what I originally said,

Yesterday 02:16 AM #370

ESD
U.S. ARMY VETERAN

Originally Posted by BC1

I often wondered how that works. When they run the plate before approaching the car does it pop up for the registration owner? Does he know before he approaches the car or does it pop when he runs the DL? What if the driver is not the registered owner?
MY RESPONSE TO BC1...
...Yeah, before he's even approached the stopped vehicle, he has run the plate. It will pop up automatically if the vehicle is registered to a CHP. He/she will know that there is already the possibility that there could be a firearm in the vehicle.
***********************************************************************************************************
THEN THIS IS WHAT YOU POSTED...

I think they run the license AFTER they stop you, not before. They usually don't have time to run the plate while they are in pursuit of stopping a vehicle. That's the reason you see stories of officers getting in fights and sometimes shot at traffic stops. They don't know what they got until they run the drivers license. The plate doesn't link to the crime computer, the drivers license does. The plate just shows who owns the car.

If your DL says one thing, and the plated says another, expect some time in the back of the squad car. LOL!
***********************************************************************************************************
AND YOU SAID "DUH" TO ME? MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE READ OUR CONVERSATION MORE CAREFULLY?
Neither BC1, nor myself said anything about having had a license ran before they stop someone? You did! And then you went on to say, "They usually don't have time to run the plate while they are in pursuit of stopping a vehicle." REALLY? sarcasm inserted here: I WOULD HAVE NEVER THOUGHT OF THIS? :)

Read BC1's post again...the car is already stopped in our conversation? We never said anything about running the DL "before" the car is stopped? We were talking about running the License plate before he approaches the stopped car? And in Ohio, I told you the License Plate is how they identify if the vehicle is registered to a CHL. Ohio calls their database "LEADS". BC1 is from NY. You, SC? I was explaining Ohio's procedure to him, because he inquired about it. Do you get it now? Because I think you just read it wrong? But it ain't worth getting bent over?

GOV5 said in a previous reply....
"As for what I said about cops getting shot at traffic stops because they didn't know what they had until they ran the DL, you seem to be a bit confused. You said they get shot by criminals, not CWP holders. DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if you are a CWP holder, that doesn't mean you will not shoot the cop for something. CWP holders HAVE been known to commit crimes."

Well, once again Gov, I think it is YOU who is "confused"? You claim, I said, "they get shot by criminals, not CWP holders."

WRONG! I never said that? I made the following statement,...."The reason, I believe you see stories of officers getting in fights and sometimes shot at traffic stops, is because they are dealing with criminals, not law abiding citizens?" End quote.

I never said anything about CWP, or even if the law abiding citizen was armed, or not? But once again, you put words in my mouth that I DID NOT POST ON THIS FORUM?

If your having problems understanding what you THINK you're reading...try reading it again. If it don't make sense then; maybe you could ask what it means, before you go and edit everybody's replies with what you THINK you're understanding of it is? Because while you claim that I just want to argue and do the childish one-up thing, you are stepping all over your tongue with those big Ol' feet of yours!

Look, you entire attitude, and NAVY, was argumentative. It wasn't a debate attitude, it was an argument, so don't try to changed that after the fact. I'll admit we got off on a tangent and started arguing about a subject that was different from the original thread topic, but that happens a lot in theses forums. But I recognize wise-ass when I see it, and you and NAVY demonstrated it in spades.

AS for name-calling, and the childish nature of it..NAVY and you both have claimed that my screen name signifies I am with the Govt, which you seem to have a BIG problem handling. Why is that? Are you afraid of something in your past?

If you want to debate, discuss, talk, exchange, express, or in any other manner, engage, I will be happy to accommodate you. I enjoy that. But when you start sniping at someone, BTW, who isn't in your "inner circle" here, expect some "return fire". That's what you got.

Now, do you want to play nice? If so, I'll return your respect. If not, I'll ignore you.

Sorry if I offended you from the get-go. If you continue to exchange with me, and I rile you again, stop me right there and challenge me on it, by asking why I did it, and explain what aggravated you. I may not have even known I had said anything to get you miffed.

Oh, BTW, I am not with the GOVT. And to let you know where I stand on the political totem pole, I am farther to the Right than Rush Limbaugh. I am actively involved with politics, and have emailed and spoken with my Congressional Representative's office about the Bill the U.S. House just passed concerning National Reciprocity. I expressed that I am 100% for it, and asked if he thought it would be brought up in the Senate. He didn't know, since Harry Reid had at least 20 other job and economic related bills on his desk that the House had passed, and Reid had not brought up ANY of them yet.

I told him I think will pass if it comes up next year, since being on the wrong side of a 2nd Amendment issue in an election year would be political suicide, IMHO. The 2nd Amendment, contrary to what you hear from the media, is NOT a Democrat vs. Republican issue. That bill passed the house by a 2:1 margin. I.E., there were a LOT of Democrats that voted for that bill. Heck, even Harry Reid got funds for a very nice shooting range in Nevada. So, this really isn't a partisan issue as much of the media would have you believe.
Oh sure, you'll see some of the Democrats, like Maxine Waters, and Sheila Jackson(I think that's her name ), and some Black Representatives(don't remember their names) from Georgia that opposed it in the House, raise cane about it, and use arguments against it that are outright lies, and have nothing to do with the bill. But aside from those Reps, that would be against ANYTHING the Right brings up, there will be little opposition.

I will also tell you that while I want to see the Bill passed, I don't favor the "spirit" of the Bill. Even one Georgia Representative said he opposed it, and he was pro-gun. His reason was that the 2nd Amendment already gave us the right to keep and bear arms. While I agree with him, I also think that you can cut off your nose to spite your face. Take what you can get in politics, and keep fighting for it to get better as you go along.

This issue was debated along the usual lines. You had the "National GOVT knows what's best" crowd vs. the "State's Rights" crowd. Well, it isn't up to the National Govt to decide whether or not we can carry. And it isn't up to the States either. It's already been decided, and put in the Constitution. What the House and Senate SHOULD have been debating is an action by the Joint Houses of Congress to petition the United States Supreme Court to BACK UP what is ALREADY IN the Constitution! I don't see how anyone could read that the 2md Amendment doesn't us that right. BTW, for any of the left wingers here, I AM part of the militia!

Yeah, I kinda get an attitude when people make comments trying to make me or someone I'm having a conversation with look like idiots. You obviously didn't read the conversation right, otherwise, you wouldn't have made the comments you made? To make the whole situation worse, you made comments like "DUH" and then call me a smart ass? Funny thing is, you made yourself look stupid when you thought you were telling us all something we already knew? Especially when you ended the sentence with "DUH".

To be quite honest with you, I would rather not debate anything with anybody on here. BC1 and I were sharing information with each other, and you thought you would "debate, or argue" a non-factor in our conversation? You didn't read our conversation correctly, and YOU made the first smart ass comment then. And I'm not beating anyone up for making an honest mistake. But you my friend, can't seem to see the error in it? And to make the whole situation worse, you ramble on misquoting me, therefore putting your own spin on misquoted information? Either read the comments moreover for a clearer understanding, or reply to comments you do understand.

I couldn't care less what your political view point is either? Hell, I'm at the point where I couldn't care less what your view point is on anything I discuss on this forum? Especially when you don't have the decency to admit you "could have" been mistaken in your comments. Everybody else read it for the way it was written, and didn't debate anything, because there wasn't anything to debate?

I called you out on your comments because they were wrong, and then YOU made the smart ass comments like "DUH" when you didn't even understand our conversation? And what inner circle would you be referring to? Navy and I have had our disagreements on an issue as well. But we debated the issue like men. Like men would have 200 years ago. Respect is earned my friend. And while Navy and I may not always agree on every issue, we do agree to disagree. If your here to share, learn, debate, argue, or whatever...it's probably a good idea to know what it is your talking about, especially when quoting someone. Putting words on here that you claim I said, that are completely false, is not the way to go about it! And while I'm normally the nicest guy on the playground, you don't know when to quit! So I will quit for the both of us, and refer you to the following....
You asked if I want to play nice, if so you will return "my" respect? If not, you will ignore me. Why don't we do that. I'm not gonna play nice with you anymore. So please just ignore me.

DEAR READER: Yet again, for perhaps the tenth time in this thread alone, GOV5 ^^^^^ is giving bad information laced with his assumptions. It has only been about a week since the last time he did this on this exact subject. You may want to consider this whenever reading GOV5's advice in the future.

As I quoted at least twice in this thread, directly from our own laws, MY state (SC) requires ONLY that you present your permit to the officer ONLY if you are carrying, and ONLY after he identifies himself and asks for identification. The LAW does NOT require a permit holder to inform the officer he is carrying, what he is carrying, where he is carrying, etc. GOV5 adds all that stuff as assumptions. And while they may be good things to do, OUR state does NOT require any of them. This also does NOT include the case where you have a loaded or unloaded pistol in your glove compartment or console, whether locked or unlocked. ALL SC citizens who can legally own a pistol may carry in their car as described WITHOUT any permit whatsoever.

WHERE: Link Removed

WHAT: SECTION 23-31-215. SECTION (K)

QUOTE: (K) A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driver’s license from a permit holder.

DEAR READER: Yet again, for perhaps the tenth time in this thread alone, GOV5 ^^^^^ is giving bad information laced with his assumptions. It has only been about a week since the last time he did this on this exact subject. You may want to consider this whenever reading GOV5's advice in the future.

As I quoted at least twice in this thread, directly from our own laws, MY state (SC) requires ONLY that you present your permit to the officer ONLY if you are carrying, and ONLY after he identifies himself and asks for identification. The LAW does NOT require a permit holder to inform the officer he is carrying, what he is carrying, where he is carrying, etc. GOV5 adds all that stuff as assumptions. And while they may be good things to do, OUR state does NOT require any of them. This also does NOT include the case where you have a loaded or unloaded pistol in your glove compartment or console, whether locked or unlocked. ALL SC citizens who can legally own a pistol may carry in their car as described WITHOUT any permit whatsoever.

WHERE: Link Removed

WHAT: SECTION 23-31-215. SECTION (K)

QUOTE: (K) A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driver’s license from a permit holder.

Too late!!! Lol

Suit yourself. I was here before way you.

Well don't that just about explain it all?....Not only can't you understand what you read,.....we can't understand what you type? Maybe you should get hooked on phonics, instead of trying to educate all of us on your often misguided understanding of the written word? Thank you Islander for enlightening all of us to the disabilities that are obvious with every stroke of the keyboard, for which Gov5 is using to educate us lowly subjects. Your observations are spot-on, and appreciated

Yes Gov5 shoot yourself, You were here way before me! Oops! Typo...suit yourself is what I meant to say! lol

Anybody ready to change gears? I know I am! I think we've beaten this one enough all ready?

Bump. This thread represents open carry way better than the bad strategy thread. Hopefully people read the three big open carry threads entirely before posting.

Open Carry Nevada

I live in Indiana where OC is allowed, however Ive only ever seen one person practicing it outside of a gun store. The reason I only carry concealed is I live right next to a college campus (pretty much on the campus) Although it is a relatively conservative school I am not going to take the chance of walking into Panera with my g23 visible to the masses of sorority girls and liberal professors who are completely ignorant of the law. I think the most likely thing that will happen is someone will scream "HE'S GOT A GUN!!!" and everyone will run out of the place and 15 minutes later Ill be on my stomach with 4 officers around me guns drawn screaming orders at me. I am just not willing to take that chance until I live in a more "gun-friendly" neighborhood.

I agree with open carry, BUT in this town (Fallon, Nevada). I was told by the manager of the Wal-Mart store, CC would be tolerated, but, Open Carry will not be allowed in HIS STORE. I have asked the local law enforcement dept. both city and county. I was told Nevada is a OPEN CARRY state. But was it worth the hassel that you will experience if " SOMEONE SEES YOU ? they must ( law enforcement ) responde to all calls " person with a gun ". I still think that OC is the way to go. Like they say "Hyenas avoid the Lion.

I agree with open carry, BUT in this town (Fallon, Nevada). I was told by the manager of the Wal-Mart store, CC would be tolerated, but, Open Carry will not be allowed in HIS STORE. I have asked the local law enforcement dept. both city and county. I was told Nevada is a OPEN CARRY state. But was it worth the hassel that you will experience if " SOMEONE SEES YOU ? they must ( law enforcement ) responde to all calls " person with a gun ". I still think that OC is the way to go. Like they say "Hyenas avoid the Lion.

A quick call to Walmart Corporate will put your local walmart manager on the correct path. Walmart corporate policy is to allow what is legal in the state the store operates in.

One problem is simply believing what you're told instead of researching and educating yourself.

If you want to OC as a deterrent but you can't legally, then why not conceal carry but in a way that is obvious that you are packing? Like wearing a waistpack with a big bright NRA patch on the front. You don't even have to put your gun in there. You can wear it concealed somewhere else on your body. I had read that some guys, they take the patch off of their 5.11 bags because they want to CC without anyone knowing and the bag is a give-away. Well, this is just the opposite - where you want people to know.

A quick call to Walmart Corporate will put your local walmart manager on the correct path. Walmart corporate policy is to allow what is legal in the state the store operates in.

One problem is simply believing what you're told instead of researching and educating yourself.

"Correct path" usually equals a telephonic or personal apology from the manager in question and probably a gift card of some sort - at least according to some reports from our local AL gun board.

Good luck!

A lot of managers make up rules to fit their tiny world, knowing that most people will just accept their "authority" figure and assume they know what they are talking about. "We" as a group need to present a united front, and let these types know that we will not just accept stuff they make up to fit their needs/beliefs.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back