storage of firearms during the night

I don't have any myself, but my best shootin' buddy has several. I was just down at his place a couple of weeks ago and I just happened to ask him what he thought of them. He said he's had mixed results. Some have no issues, and some hiccup in feeding every so often. He didn't elaborate. I usually buy the surplus 30-rounders with the green followers for between $6 and $11 bucks at gun shows. Never had a single problem with them, so I have no desire to even try the Mag-Puls since I know someone who has had problems with them, albeit infrequent.

Blues

Thanks, my son says he has info from other folks the plastic ones are bad.

I keep mine "available" and within arms reach. Like The_Outlaw, my house is locked up, my alarm is set, and we have two big (not so people-friendly) mixed Shepherds that never sleep!

Ruger P944 on nightstand loaded with 12 rounds of Hornady Critical Duty along with 2 extra mags and a Surefire flashlight.

Everybody on here missed one very important point. His profile says he is in New Orleans. That being the case, he should keep it in his hand at all times, night and day.

I keep my Springfield on my headboard right in arms reach, and in case the three mags with remington hollow points I have loaded doesnt get the idiot that tries to break in, there's a mossberg pump action in the closet with no shortage of ammunition waiting. I can't count on my two black lab/pits to identify a threat cuz they'd try to lick the person to death before anything

I keep my Springfield on my headboard right in arms reach, and in case the three mags with remington hollow points I have loaded doesnt get the idiot that tries to break in, there's a mossberg pump action in the closet with no shortage of ammunition waiting. I can't count on my two black lab/pits to identify a threat cuz they'd try to lick the person to death before anything

Same with my lab. She might wake me by sitting and shaking but she won't bark.

Link Removed

A - Mossberg 500A
B - Sig P229
C - Glock G30
D - Saiga 12

The wife has a Ruger 357 on her side. There are other handguns stashed in tactical locations around the house, plus some rifles/shotguns. No small kids in our house.

Very good choices, lets see, my side H&R 12 gauge pump, AK with 40rd mag of soft point ammo, Glock 31C, Colt Defender 45, Taurus tcp 380, and a NAA 22 mag revolver, her side 20 gauge pump, AR with soft points, G-26, Taurus tcp 380 and another NAA 22 mag, and at least two of the handguns are with me whenever I leave the house

My neighbor's grown son came over yesterday with a couple of friends. He doesn't live with his parents anymore so I've only met him twice. He's only recently gotten into firearms and was shooting a single action 22 in his Dad's back yard the last time I saw him. I let them shoot the Saiga and my AK-47. They had a blast. What a great way to celebrate freedom.

I keep my gun in my safe, unloaded, and with a trigger lock on it. I keep my ammo locked up and separated from my gun in its own hidden safe. Obviously this is what every responsible gun.owner must do to ensure the gun doesn't sneak out and kill people while we are asleep.

I do love sarcasm. LOL

My wife and I each keep our loaded but locked up in our bedside tables. Locked is necessary because of our kids. We also have 3 dogs, one in our room and one in each of the kids rooms. Can't imagine a better alarm system for the family.

I will just say between Alarm, two large hungry dogs and being a light sleeper, entry to my home will be shall we say a tactical error for ANYONE doing the entry. List/location of my firearms not posted you are welcome to find out from the receiving end. PS: Also keep ballistic vest to throw on. Peace, Love, Colt 45

Just wanted to know what wear some of the ways people stored there weapons during the night. I keep mine on the night stand, but for a while I kept it under my pillow.

In a detachable holster under my pillow.

Nightstand does you no good. A quiet prowler will just take it from you as you sleep and use it on you, tie you up at gunpoint, and the do as he pleases.

Is southwest Ohio anywhere near Afghanistan? I am both amazed by your preparedness and your opinion of your surroundings. I am hesitant to ask how many rounds of ammunition you have and whether you have a doomsday shelter.

I agree with you, he has way too many guns out.

His place is a veritable salad bar for any burglar who can creep in while he is asleep.

Lets see, eenie meanie miney mo ... .

My personal view is that these safety box devices slow you down too much. But I will give them an honorable mention, sure.

There is a fine line between security and accessibility. I guess anything short of having my gun in my hand all the time slows me down.

Which handgun safes have you tried in the past? With a little practice and being familiar with your equipment it is pretty fast. Might be as fast as a holstered gun under your pillow. Mine is retrieved and drawn from the holster with one hand. It takes me both hands to unholster my gun from a holster that is laying around. Besides, I toss and turn so much at night if my pistol were under my pillow when I went to sleep, it would probably be at my feet when I woke up in the morning.

Mine are on my night stand *fully loaded* ready. Same with hubs. I am 65+ and have no intention of fumbling in the dark to get it out of holster or safe, just as I wont be wasting time asking what you're doing in my house without permission. I've never been much of a talker, I'm more of a do-er.

For the record I also have a very large dog that, like us, isn't keen on company. She tells me about problem ..I take care of problem. Seems fair.

I agree with you, he has way too many guns out.

His place is a veritable salad bar for any burglar who can creep in while he is asleep.

Lets see, eenie meanie miney mo ... .
Not many burglars have night vision. You can't see them in the dark. And the dogs don't sleep that soundly. He'd have to trip over them to get to the guns.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back