Stopped by Police with concealed carry

twage

Is it required to tell an officer when stopped that you have CCP?

Depends what State you live in and what their requirements are. In NC, YES, you must identify your a CWP holder if the officer identifies him/her self as a LEO.

In PA if you have a pulse, $50 and a clean record you get the permit. Whether you know which end of the gun to hold matters not. If you're carrying anywhere it is YOUR responsibility to know the laws of the jurisdiction you're in. Pleading ignorance isn't an option especially concerning carrying a firearm. FWIW, I'm telling the LEO even if I don't have to.

Could be a non carrier coming here to ask a question, could be a troll, could be an irresponsible gun owner. Who knows, it's amazing what judgment comes from one sentence...

In WA it is not required, but we must answer truthfully if asked.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

As an act of good faith, I would always disclose a firearm to LE if I am stopped. I do not currently CC, but I am applying for my permit. If the cop turns out to be a douche, than so be it. But I will act responsibly at all times.

We have rights, but also responsibilities.

As an act of good faith, I would always disclose a firearm to LE if I am stopped. I do not currently CC, but I am applying for my permit. If the cop turns out to be a douche, than so be it. But I will act responsibly at all times.

We have rights, but also responsibilities.

if the cop is a douche and many of them are, you could find your self being harassed, arrested or at the worst dead, why bring the subject up unless it is required by law?

I've actually heard of a few cases where telling the officer he had a CHP actually got him out of a ticket. In one case he wasn't carrying because he was just running to McDonald's then back home, and he actually got a lecture from the LEO about carrying ALL the time! I'm in CO, so it's a very CHP-friendly state, unless you're in Denver. I'll always disclose here, simply by handing the officer my CHP along with my driver's license.

Whether to disclose or not should be articulated in your state laws regarding CC. Regardless of what the law says, I always announce that I'm armed just to avoid any "misunderstandings" with the LEO. Just good practice, let the LEO know up front.

Whether to disclose or not should be articulated in your state laws regarding CC. Regardless of what the law says, I always announce that I'm armed just to avoid any "misunderstandings" with the LEO. Just good practice, let the LEO know up front.

do you also pee in your pants to show the cop that you're being submissive?

if the cop is a douche and many of them are, you could find your self being harassed, arrested or at the worst dead, why bring the subject up unless it is required by law?

Are you suggesting the cop will shoot me if I disclose to him that I have a concealed weapon? I would argue he's more likely to shoot me if I don't tell him and he discovers it by accident.

Are you suggesting the cop will shoot me if I disclose to him that I have a concealed weapon? I would argue he's more likely to shoot me if I don't tell him and he discovers it by accident.

do whatever makes you feel good, there are alpha dogs and there are submissive ones, you seem to be one of the latter

Some on this site feel strongly that if not required, then don't disclose. That's okay if that is the way you want to handle it. If you do disclose, and I always do, the way you do it can make all the difference in the world. The best way I have found is to hand over the CHL along with the driver's license without saying a word. Sometimes the officer will ask if you are carrying - sometimes not. Either way you have shown cooperation with the LEO. This can make him feel somewhat relaxed and your treatment has the potential to go much better. Whatever you do, don't just blurt out, "I have a gun."

Is it required to tell an officer when stopped that you have CCP?

My suggestion is that you look at the Link Removed website for more information in the state that you are traveling. If you have a CCP / CPL / CCW in your state you should already know that information. Your instructor should have gone over that with you in class. Most State Government websites have a section on Gun Laws of the state. As for Michigan, It is required and, they already know if you are licensed in the state when they run your drivers license. If you do not acknowledge that you have a CPL and are or not carrying, you need to acknowledge that information if you are Officially Stopped. It is a Fine, Misdemeanor, lose of privilege, when you don't disclose. Why take the chance? It is best to disclose to the officer that you legally carry a firearm, and keep your hands in sight, and ask the officer how he/she would
like to continue.

In PA if you have a pulse, $50 and a clean record you get the permit. Whether you know which end of the gun to hold matters not. If you're carrying anywhere it is YOUR responsibility to know the laws of the jurisdiction you're in. Pleading ignorance isn't an option especially concerning carrying a firearm. FWIW, I'm telling the LEO even if I don't have to.

What county is raping you? I pay $20. :smile:

I also don't inform in PA... I also tell them "I don't answer questions without an attorney".

In Vermont, we don't need the governments permission to carry a firearm either openly OR concealed.
No duty to inform so I don't.

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back