Open Carry

Hot dam I knew Firefighterchen and I could agree on something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think in the case of a criminal intent on shooting the place up open carry might be a shoot me first sign

Even though it has never happened in the past unless the person shot was wearing a uniform? I can show you an example of a person that was beaten to death with a flower pot off their front porch, does that mean we should all take our flower pots off our porches due to that possibility?

The reason I always bring this up is because you may choose that reason as one to carry concealed, but if others are considering it they should be able to separate the facts from the theories in order to make a fully informed decision for themselves. The shoot me first theory is one which nobody has been able to provide an example of, and if you come up with two or three examples - when the person was not also wearing a uniform - one must consider those 2 or 3 examples over the course of how ever many years the period of time between them is.

That could be but I don't know that for sure and I don't want to be the test case grin

That could be but I don't know that for sure and I don't want to be the test case grin

You don't want to be the first test case, instead you would rather be one of the next ten thousand concealed carry cases? Interesting...

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

I think Navy's point was more about spreading myths than trying to talk you into OC'ing when you're not comfortable doing it. Perhaps if you took the time to learn that "I'll get shot first" is indeed a statistical non-issue, you would become more comfortable with the idea though.

Relax. We've already done the test casing for you. :biggrin:

Blues

Relax. We've already done the test casing for you. :biggrin:

Blues

I have for ten years; but, then again, I have never been at the location of an armed robbery while it was occurring. Maybe that is evidence my openly carried firearm deterred them all from committing the armed robbery while I was there? :wink:

I have for ten years; but, then again, I have never been at the location of an armed robbery while it was occurring. Maybe that is evidence my openly carried firearm deterred them all from committing the armed robbery while I was there? :wink:

The fact that you're alive at all substantiates that you've been a successful test case I would think. It's a freakin' miracle I tells ya!
haha.gif

It could get your gun stolen. Link Removed By the way, does anyone know any cops who open carry while off duty in the city?

It could get your gun stolen. Link Removed By the way, does anyone know any cops who open carry while off duty in the city?

Your flower pots on your front porch can get you beaten to death, too:
Ignored 911 Call Turns Fatal In Berkeley; Police Busy With Occupy Protest « CBS San Francisco

Peter Cukor, 67, had been beaten to death with a flower pot. The suspect, 23-year-old Daniel Dewitt, was taken into custody and will be arraigned on Wednesday.

Does anyone know of an armored car company that transports money in an unmarked truck/van with employees in plain clothes, carrying concealed weapons, with the money hidden in normal looking gym bags so they keep the "element of surprise" on their side?

While I feel no need to justify my tactical choices based on what cops do or don't do either on or off duty, a more intelligent and pertinent-to-the-equation calculation could be resolved by trying to suss out why virtually all uniformed cops and uniformed armed security personnel do open carry. Every gun store that I've ever been in had several, if not all, of its employees open carrying, and the overwhelming majority of gun store thefts happen after-hours when none of those openly armed citizens are there. Why do you think that is? Perhaps because criminals are cowards and will go to the next (seemingly) unarmed victim of opportunity rather than advancing on someone with the visible means to defend themselves? A 21 year old kid (in your link, that's been posted here several times in the last month or two BTW) who just bought his first gun and was showing it off to his own cousin in public is hardly an anecdote worth commenting on in a serious discussion about the pros and cons of OC. Still, the fact that he was 21 and likely had zero training concerning situational awareness, avoidance, or probably anything regarding safe handling/carrying of firearms, should answer all the questions about how and why that particular incident happened the way it did.

Would you like some links to incidents describing crimes against CC'ers where their concealed weapons not only did them no good, but had exactly zero potential to deter the crime in the first place besides? There are hundreds, if not thousands, of such incidents reported in newspapers and the nightly news over the years. I defy you to find 10 stories over any period of time since the advent of the internet (what? like 1985 or so?) that documents OC'ers being targeted because they were OC'ers. We'll wait.

Nobody here cares whether or not you are personally comfortable with OC'ing, and nobody will try to talk you out of your comfort zone whichever side of that question you already are on, or land on in the future. We do, however, care that other newcomers aren't dissuaded from the practice by the promulgation of myths and lies. I was once a committed CC'er. I even posted once on this forum that I would not OC even if my state made it easier or "more" legal than it was when I said that, which my state did do in 2013. My rationale had more to do with unwanted attention from both the public and from cops than from the notion that I'd be shot first or whatever, but I was wrong to close my mind to the idea of OC for any reason, because I based that nonsense on myths and lies that I'd seen around the internet for years. Of course, I only belonged to forums where CC was the prevailing mindset, so naturally most folks posting on the subject of civilian OC knew little or nothing of what they were talking about. That happens a lot around here too. I would suggest avoiding falling into that trap just because you're among the majority here on that one issue. Majorities have often been wrong throughout history, and minorities that umm.....stuck to their guns to emerge as the better-thought-out position have likewise been prevalent throughout history.

Blues

Why would a person want to open carry if they can legally conceal carry? Possibly because they aren't legally able to get a concealed carry permit. May be a past brush with the law, or some reason that makes them ineligible. And then there are to who are too cheap to pay the required money to do what it takes to legally get a permit. And, yet some just want to look big and bad, as evident by their attitude in life. Some states make it easy, some states make it hard, to get a permit, due to the people that they elect. I have had 2 C/C permit for some years and consider the money well spend. Call it my "Home" and away security system. Do I ever open carry? on occasion if I'm out working on my property where my IWB may be a problem, I have a holster with a safety strap that prevents the pistol from falling out when in a work situation. But, normally I'm armed 24/7.

Why would a person want to conceal carry if they can Constitutionally open carry? Possibly because they aren't morally equipped to open carry. May be a lack of self esteem, or some offer reason they feel the need to get permission from their masters. And then there are those who are submissive by nature and pay the required money to do what it takes to legally get a permit. And, yet some just want to look like a victim and hope to kill a bad guy, as evident by their attitude in life. Most states make it easy, few states make it hard, to open carry, due to the people that they elect. I have had 2 C/C permit, now destroyed, and considered them a waste of money. Call it my "Home" and away security system. Do I ever open carry? Almost always, my IWB holsters may be a problem due to comfort, my OWB fixes that, I have a holster with a safety strap that prevents the pistol from falling out when in a work situation. But, normally I'm armed 24/7.

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

I OC because is my right to do so as supported by the constitution and states laws. Also, I CC because I can and have a permit to so so as well. In other words, I have my cake and I eat it too.
What's the big deal or opposition to do either?

If some of us OC, fine, if some of us CC, fine, if we do both, also fine with me.

Why does that seem to bother some people? Can't wrap my head around that one yet.

I OC because is my right to do so as supported by the constitution and states laws. Also, I CC because I can and have a permit to so so as well. In other words, I have my cake and I eat it too.

Why can't you do both, legally, without a state mandated permission slip?!

I do.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back