Open Carry

jmcimmy

My take on Open Carry, is it should be legal, for responsible, law biding citizens to open carry. In my opinion who is going to mess with someone carrying openly?

Here in PA, Open carry is legal... but I never see anyone open carrying anywhere near where I live. IN my gun club we have 5000 members, 4000 of them are over 18.... I've yet to meet an adult at my gun club who did not have a license to carry and I've been a member there for almost 40 years. No one open carries.
When I go upstate to hunt, in very rural places, I do see many people open carry. When asking the locals about it... up there, open carry is a common occurrence year round. Up there you may find 800 people, that in the same amount of acreage around here, there would be 10,000/15000 people... in areas where there are lots of people, I think open carry is not a comfortable approach. I would not want to draw attention to myself in an area where, while its legal, I would not want to be on every single person's radar. After all this time of weapons carry, I'm not sure if open carry offers any advantage. I would rather be armed an unknown in concealed carry, then be armed and very well known as a weapons carryier, or to put it another way, the first person to be taken out, in the event I was in the wrong place when something was going down.

Here in PA, Open carry is legal... but I never see anyone open carrying anywhere near where I live. IN my gun club we have 5000 members, 4000 of them are over 18.... I've yet to meet an adult at my gun club who did not have a license to carry and I've been a member there for almost 40 years. No one open carries.

Kansas has been an open carry state for a long time. And in that long time I have seen exactly ONE person open carrying. If there were more that did, then I might too. If for no other reason than it would be easier than stuffing it in my jeans and having to dress around it.

While living in NC for about 3 1/2 yrs, I probably saw 15 to 20 OC'ing. The TEA Party rally was the exception, there was probably over a hundred or so OC'ing. Me, I usually OC'd more then CC'd. Just depended on where I was going or doing.
Now in NM, with the temps in the 20's, it's CC all the way until the weather warms up.

I would rather open carry and deter the criminal, than to look unarmed and play the bad odds of being their next victim...which unfortunately happens a lot. Look at what the pizza lady had to go through recently.

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

Unless you are a mind reader, while in open carry...you become the first person to be shot in a well planned but unsuspected robbery... If you are in the wrong place at the wrong time and are a liability as an open carry citizen.. they won't allow you to foil their plans and will take you out way before you know it is coming. Only because you stood out from those who were not showing a weapon. Its always a good idea , not to stand out from others so to be targeted as a potential problem. A guy with a holstered gun in open carry is an easily eliminated problem. only because he is carrying a neon sign that says I might be a problem with any plans you might have, so you better eliminate me before you start your plan in motion..

Extreme hypotheticals are for amateures.

99% of the " what if scenarios " posted on this forum are hypothetical... and I absolutely agree that they are for the most part amateurish.
much like the everyday poster found on this forum... only very few of us have actually taken a life... and only a very few of us have actually drawn a weapon to defend our self or our family.

Unless you are a mind reader, while in open carry...you become the first person to be shot in a well planned but unsuspected robbery... If you are in the wrong place at the wrong time and are a liability as an open carry citizen.. they won't allow you to foil their plans and will take you out way before you know it is coming. Only because you stood out from those who were not showing a weapon. Its always a good idea , not to stand out from others so to be targeted as a potential problem. A guy with a holstered gun in open carry is an easily eliminated problem. only because he is carrying a neon sign that says I might be a problem with any plans you might have, so you better eliminate me before you start your plan in motion..

and someone could pick up a flower pot off your front porch and beat you to death with it. Should we all remove the flower pots from our porches?

I just love it (not) when naive people get on here and spout off NO FACTS or EVIDENCE to support their own THEORIES about open carry, and try to tell everyone else that DO KNOW THE FACTS that they are wrong..... I wish they would go somewhere else to project their fears.....

99% of the " what if scenarios " posted on this forum are hypothetical... and I absolutely agree that they are for the most part amateurish.
much like the everyday poster found on this forum... only very few of us have actually taken a life... and only a very few of us have actually drawn a weapon to defend our self or our family.

Repeatedly claiming to have drawn a firearm or taken a life is also amateurish. It's also foolish to think an extreme hypothetical matches any kind of statistic...except maybe the statistics that shows those that use them are amateurish...and most likely liars.

I'd take advice from most of the everyday posters on this forum, who were smart enough to not get in those situations, before I listened to any of your extravagant stories.

....I would rather be armed an unknown in concealed carry, then be armed and very well known as a weapons carryier, or to put it another way, the first person to be taken out, in the event I was in the wrong place when something was going down.

Tell me about it!!!
I so sick & tired of watching the news & reading the stories in "gun magazines" about OC'ers being targets of crime & taken out by an armed BG!

(Oh wait, the only place I read stories like that are on forums like this.) :rolleyes:

Never mind- carry-on :wink:

-

I'll bet that between the open carriers on this forum, at least as many man-years of carrying that way equal ET's years of carrying concealed. We're all still alive. None of us have been shot that I know of, first or otherwise, and as far as I'm aware, all of us have managed to avoid having to draw our weapons on another human being. Also as far as I'm aware, all of us carried concealed (and still do sometimes) for many years before we started OC'ing, which means our combined years carrying altogether far exceeds ET's experience.

Having taken a life as a civilian while carrying concealed represents a failure of tactics unless all avenues of avoidance were completely exhausted before turning to the last possible resort and pulling the trigger on another human being. The story ET has told previously about pulling his weapon without having to shoot does not inspire confidence that he cares much about meeting that level of avoidance. I am much more impressed with the record of not having to injure or kill another human being by the overwhelming majority of carriers of either method here, than I am with ET's constant references to having taken a life and having drawn his weapon more than once. I will continue to strive to never match his record, whether or not that record is real or imagined, and I will further continue to take as confirmation that I'm conducting myself responsibly by doing pretty much the exact opposite of what his unsolicited advice promulgates.

Blues

Repeatedly claiming to have drawn a firearm or taken a life is also amateurish. It's also foolish to think an extreme hypothetical matches any kind of statistic...except maybe the statistics that shows those that use them are amateurish...and most likely liars.

I'd take advice from most of the everyday posters on this forum, who were smart enough to not get in those situations, before I listened to any of your extravagant stories.

ET could be George Zimmerman posting on here.... He's taken a life and drawn his weapon to defend his life. Anybody want to take advice from George Zimmerman unless that advice is "Stay in the damn truck!"?

I'll bet that between the open carriers on this forum, at least as many man-years of carrying that way equal ET's years of carrying concealed. We're all still alive. None of us have been shot that I know of, first or otherwise, and as far as I'm aware, all of us have managed to avoid having to draw our weapons on another human being. Also as far as I'm aware, all of us carried concealed (and still do sometimes) for many years before we started OC'ing, which means our combined years carrying altogether far exceeds ET's experience.

Having taken a life as a civilian while carrying concealed represents a failure of tactics unless all avenues of avoidance were completely exhausted before turning to the last possible resort and pulling the trigger on another human being. The story ET has told previously about pulling his weapon without having to shoot does not inspire confidence that he cares much about meeting that level of avoidance. I am much more impressed with the record of not having to injure or kill another human being by the overwhelming majority of carriers of either method here, than I am with ET's constant references to having taken a life and having drawn his weapon more than once. I will continue to strive to never match his record, whether or not that record is real or imagined, and I will further continue to take as confirmation that I'm conducting myself responsibly by doing pretty much the exact opposite of what his unsolicited advice promulgates.

Blues
that's because 99% of the people on this forum have never been involved in any type of life threatening altercation... The only reason the people who open carry in their house on this form are still alive is because they spent almost every waking hour here... playing John Wayne is some sort of macho soap opera..

As a professional thief and felon, if I'm going to rob a jewelry store, and am smart career criminal, IM going to take out anyone I can see who has the ability to shoot me.. that would be an armed security guard or an armed civilian. Those armed guards are their to foil the novice thief, not the career felon. Those 2 open carry NY cops, certainly had an advantage didn't they before they were shot to death.. Now with these lone wolfs terrorist, anyone openly displaying a weapon becomes an even more target of opportunity.. the thing that all the " experts on this forum " don't seem to understand is that unless you are a mind reader, you don't know what anyone is thinking... when anyone sees open carry, thoughts are " cope " or law enforcement of some kind.. IM a lone wolf looking for a target.. and the first person I see is some dumb ass civilian showing off his open carry... he's going to be my target.. walk up behind him and boom... here is the other simple thing... no one is going to tell you, or give you advanced notice as to what they are going to do... putting your self on point as a civilian is not in your best interest... IM betting most non military people on this forum would think that being on point in combat is more dangerous then being with the strike force.... in most case the point man is left alone allowing the strike force to enter the ambush. Unless you have lived that life, then you are just playing kids games here on an internet forum. I can see through most of the comments on this forum and who is who. I can see all the legends in their own mind, and those who have actually lived the life.. or have been engaged in an actual threat.
I come here mostly for the laughs, but also to teach myself , just how many people are not as mature as one would think... lots of 40 year old kids walking around with a deadly weapon... ready to do something stupid.

that's because 99% of the people on this forum have never been involved in any type of life threatening altercation... The only reason the people who open carry in their house on this form are still alive is because they spent almost every waking hour here... playing John Wayne is some sort of macho soap opera..

As a professional thief and felon, if I'm going to rob a jewelry store, and am smart career criminal, IM going to take out anyone I can see who has the ability to shoot me.. that would be an armed security guard or an armed civilian. Those armed guards are their to foil the novice thief, not the career felon. Those 2 open carry NY cops, certainly had an advantage didn't they before they were shot to death.. Now with these lone wolfs terrorist, anyone openly displaying a weapon becomes an even more target of opportunity.. the thing that all the " experts on this forum " don't seem to understand is that unless you are a mind reader, you don't know what anyone is thinking... when anyone sees open carry, thoughts are " cope " or law enforcement of some kind.. IM a lone wolf looking for a target.. and the first person I see is some dumb ass civilian showing off his open carry... he's going to be my target.. walk up behind him and boom... here is the other simple thing... no one is going to tell you, or give you advanced notice as to what they are going to do... putting your self on point as a civilian is not in your best interest... IM betting most non military people on this forum would think that being on point in combat is more dangerous then being with the strike force.... in most case the point man is left alone allowing the strike force to enter the ambush. Unless you have lived that life, then you are just playing kids games here on an internet forum. I can see through most of the comments on this forum and who is who. I can see all the legends in their own mind, and those who have actually lived the life.. or have been engaged in an actual threat.
I come here mostly for the laughs, but also to teach myself , just how many people are not as mature as one would think... lots of 40 year old kids walking around with a deadly weapon... ready to do something stupid.
About the part of your post I underlined...

It doesn't matter what you would do... what matters is if you can find cites and/or links to researchable incidents to back up what you are saying actually happening in any numbers to actually be more than a statistical rarity. I'll wait for the plethora of cites and/or links you are surely going to provide.

About the part of your post I put in bold...

You been looking in the mirror again?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back