open carry

Number one, you need to be sure OC is legal in your state, city, county, etc. Number two, remember having a coat or clothing over the gun is considered concealed and illegal in most states without a permit. Number three, it will make a lot of people nervous (Especially the Police) carrying open unless it is generally accepted in your area. Also if you carry open you have to be aware that someone may try to come up behind you and snatch it out of your holster, and use it on you or others close by. Police may blame you for not securing it good enough. Legal concealed carry is the way to go. Concealed means concealed.
Methinks the sarcasm is strong with this one.....

Edited to add:

On second thought... hmmmm....

In Massachusetts, with my unrestricted class A LTC, I can open carry. I was told by everyone, Marines, LEOs, even the instructors at Mass Firearms School that you cannot open carry in MA. Finally I wrote to the police chief who issued my LTC. He told me that with my license I can legally open carry in MA. He also said it's not recommended. The liberals will likely call 911 and report a person with a gun. I haven't open carried yet. I'd hate to get proned out at gunpoint or even worse killed by some trigger happy rookie who shoots first and ask questions later. Not to mention the waste of police resources responding to such a call. Part of me wants to give it a shot ;) strap up and go for a walk. I'd love to be arrested. I could use the false arrest lawsuit settlement to buy a bunch more firearms..

There was a time when open carry was considered honorable and concealed carry sneaky and disreputable, but today I'd rather keep everybody guessing as to whether I'm armed or not.

There was a time when open carry was considered honorable and concealed carry sneaky and disreputable, but today I'd rather keep everybody guessing as to whether I'm armed or not.

I agree. I don't want anyone to know I carry. If you're in a convenience with your firearm hanging off my belt when an armed robber walks in while your hands are full, you're most likely going to be shot instantly. Unless it's some thug with an air soft gun who hesitates and doesn't do an 180' turn and run away before I can draw, neutralize the bad guy, disarm them and holster my weapon. Call 911 and ask for a lawyer right away. Good luck to them in court trying to prove that I wasn't in fear for my life when a person with, what I 100% perceived to be a live firearm capable of killing me walked in to rob the store. I love when I videos of some concealed carry citizen involved in a shooting who is still holding the bad guy at gunpoint when the police show up. That's a good way to get shot. This day and age police respond to a shooting and see you, plain clothes with a gun drawn and a person on the ground shot. You'll have less then a second to get that firearm out of your hands before there are to people on the ground with gunshot wounds. Open carry is best left for open carry events where those that choose to can exercise their rights. Other then that I think open carry just makes you a target for bad guys, police and liberals.

Open carry is best left for open carry events where those that choose to can exercise their rights. Other then that I think open carry just makes you a target for bad guys, police and liberals.

So which are you, a bad guy, cop or liberal? I ask because I open carry every day, and I feel targeted by your lack of any real knowledge on the matter.

Blues

I agree. I don't want anyone to know I carry. If you're in a convenience with your firearm hanging off my belt when an armed robber walks in while your hands are full, you're most likely going to be shot instantly.

So you will be able to provide an example of where this has happened in real life where the person shot hasn't also been wearing a uniform such as security guard or cop? We'll wait......

Originally Posted by MHas View Post
I agree. I don't want anyone to know I carry. If you're in a convenience with your firearm hanging off my belt when an armed robber walks in while your hands are full, you're most likely going to be shot instantly.
So you will be able to provide an example of where this has happened in real life where the person shot hasn't also been wearing a uniform such as security guard or cop? We'll wait......
I had an acquaintance say the same thing... so I asked him how he knew that. He said that it stands to reason the bad guy would take out the open carrier first. When I asked him that if it stood to reason he wouldn't have any problem finding actual instances of where that really happened. His response...

"I don't have to look for any incidents! It's just common sense!"

And when I pressed him further saying that if it is just common sense then it must have happened a lot... so it should be easy to find plenty of incidents in just Arizona where open carry has been common for decades. His response...

"I'm telling you it's common sense that it has to happen! If you can't see that then you are just being stupid!"

He didn't have any facts but was quick to resort to insults to deflect the conversation away from being put on the spot to provide facts. And we both know there are plenty of folks like that.........

I had an acquaintance say the same thing... so I asked him how he knew that. He said that it stands to reason the bad guy would take out the open carrier first. When I asked him that if it stood to reason he wouldn't have any problem finding actual instances of where that really happened. His response...

And when I pressed him further saying that if it is just common sense then it must have happened a lot... so it should be easy to find plenty of incidents in just Arizona where open carry has been common for decades. His response...

"I'm telling you it's common sense that it has to happen! If you can't see that then you are just being stupid!"

He didn't have any facts but was quick to resort to insults to deflect the conversation away from being put on the spot to provide facts. And we both know there are plenty of folks like that.........
Your friend, does he post on here under the name of n r a or billt? Your description reminds me an awful lot of those 2, and some others on here as well...

Your friend, does he post on here under the name of n r a or billt? Your description reminds me an awful lot of those 2, and some others on here as well...
Not just no... but HELL NO! Although the similarities cannot be denied.

To be fair, Bikenut referred to the person as an "acquaintance," not a "friend." A friend is a bird of a feather. An acquaintance is just any ol' dumb bird. LOL

So which are you, a bad guy, cop or liberal? I ask because I open carry every day, and I feel targeted by your lack of any real knowledge on the matter.

Blues
1: What state are you in.
2: I was talking about open carry in MA. where most police officers think open carry is crime. On contact you will run the risk of being probed out at gunpoint.
3: why would you want to advertise you are carrying a firearm? I understand everyone should be free to exercise their rights but is there a reason you choose to open carry? Are you handicap, lack the motor skills to lift you shirt up before drawing or do you just want people to see your big gun? Must be one of those unless you open carry for a job. In which case your input is irrelevant. This discussion is mostly about open carry in plain cloths.
4: I'm none of those. I'm just a law abiding America citizen whose chooses to exercise his 2nd amendment rights to protect my wife's, daughter's and my own life if needed. I'm a realistic. I don't feel the need to dress up and pretend to be a LEO or cowboy.

1: What state are you in.
2: I was talking about open carry in MA. where most police officers think open carry is crime. On contact you will run the risk of being probed out at gunpoint.
3: why would you want to advertise you are carrying a firearm? I understand everyone should be free to exercise their rights but is there a reason you choose to open carry? Are you handicap, lack the motor skills to lift you shirt up before drawing or do you just want people to see your big gun? Must be one of those unless you open carry for a job. In which case your input is irrelevant. This discussion is mostly about open carry in plain cloths.
4: I'm none of those. I'm just a law abiding America citizen whose chooses to exercise his 2nd amendment rights to protect my wife's, daughter's and my own life if needed. I'm a realistic. I don't feel the need to dress up and pretend to be a LEO or cowboy.

No you dress up and play ninja with the concealed carry privilege you begged the state for...

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

if i want to carry open without a license i can but if i put my gun in my car has to be in three seperate locations

Ahhh....
What you mean is, "If I want to transport my firearm", not open carry.
Ohio is a 'traditional open carry' state meaning you do may carry openly, loaded, and do not require a license to do so.

The OHIO CODE for firearms and automobiles is ORC 2923.16.
(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:
(1) In a closed package, box, or case;
(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;
(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;​

The entire code is a bit lengthy and should be studied closely.

Are you asking me if I know of an instance where an open carry citizen was shot by a criminal before the citizen could draw his sidearm?

Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post

Are you asking me if I know of an instance where an open carry citizen was shot by a criminal before the citizen could draw his sidearm?
And I have no doubt there are instances where a concealed carry citizen was shot by a criminal before he could draw his sidearm. But I didn't say anything about that. I didn't even ask you anything at all in that post you quoted. But I do find it interesting that you would see my post as being directed to you... when I certainly didn't mention you at all.

You said in an earlier post that the open carrier would get shot first and... since you mentioned it... I am now asking for cites and/or links to more than one or just a paltry few actual incidents that can be researched. I am not the least bit interested in stories not supported by something that can be looked up.

Oh... and I say more than one or just a paltry few that can be counted on the fingers of one hand actual incidents because, as I'm sure you are aware, open carry has been practiced by many folks for decades in just Arizona so it should be very easy for you to provide a plethora of researchable proof that instead of it being an extreme rarity an open carrier is really in more danger of being shot first by some bad guy in a store.

So... got cites and/or links? Because there are several folks on this forum who would love to see that data.

No you dress up and play ninja with the concealed carry privilege you begged the state for...

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

Everyone thinks MA has these strict gun laws. As long as you've never been convicted of any crime, even in juvenile court you get you unrestricted class A large capacity LTC by taking one 4 hour class and a 30 minute meeting with your towns chief with fingerprints. LTC comes in the mail 4 weeks later. I can walk into any gun store and walk out with a firearm in less then 20 min. I can carry my loaded pistol openly or concealed almost everywhere even in a bars or any other establishment that serves alcohol. Carry is only restricted in federal buildings, court houses and school campus. If you are a law abiding citizen with no criminal record the only gun laws that are inconvenient are the "assault weapons" ban. With the current definition of "assault weapon" you could turn a Ruger 10/22 into an "assault weapon" by adding a bayonet lug and adjustable buttstock.

And I have no doubt there are instances where a concealed carry citizen was shot by a criminal before he could draw his sidearm. But I didn't say anything about that. I didn't even ask you anything at all in that post you quoted. But I do find it interesting that you would see my post as being directed to you... when I certainly didn't mention you at all.

You said in an earlier post that the open carrier would get shot first and... since you mentioned it... I am now asking for cites and/or links to more than one or just a paltry few actual incidents that can be researched. I am not the least bit interested in stories not supported by something that can be looked up.

Oh... and I say more than one or just a paltry few that can be counted on the fingers of one hand actual incidents because, as I'm sure you are aware, open carry has been practiced by many folks for decades in just Arizona so it should be very easy for you to provide a plethora of researchable proof that instead of it being an extreme rarity an open carrier is really in more danger of being shot first by some bad guy in a store.

So... got cites and/or links? Because there are several folks on this forum who would love to see that data.

I don't know why I thought your post was a reply to something I said. My phones charging I'm on my 2 year olds iPhone3. The screen is tiny. I guess I misread some details. That's why I was confused and asked what it was you're post was in reference to.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back