Open carry incident in Nashville gets me detained 2.5 hour at gun point carried AK-47

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the duct tape for?

Duct tape is a common item in a "rape kit" carried by a sexual predator for restraining victims. Perfectly legal, no restrictions on its possession or use, but do you see my point? In certain circumstances, it raises questions as to the possessors motives and behavior.

What's the duct tape for?

Duct tape is a common item in a "rape kit" carried by a sexual predator for restraining victims. Perfectly legal, no restrictions on its possession or use, but do you see my point? In certain circumstances, it raises questions as to the possessors motives and behavior.

I was messing with you. Looks like one of my "smiles" didn't make it in the post.

gf

Kwikrnu's story has thoroughly convinced me that states need to enact additional legislation to allow for the prosecution of people for "being stupid." I don't think I can be even slightly tactful when commenting on this story. People like me have worked hard lobbying legislators to reduce gun restrictions on law abiding citizens. Most of you probably are unaware of the difficulties we often face when trying to convince lawmakers to enact legislation which allows for greater freedoms when a great number of our fellow citizens are in favor of increased restrictions on the possession and ownership of firearms. In many cases it takes years to convince a single lawmaker that voting for a certain piece of legislation is the right thing to do. In this case, we have a bonehead who chooses to push the limits of the law by exceeding the generally defined limits of common sense and good judgment. I am certain that when Tennessee lawmakers changed the law to allow for open and concealed carry in state parks they didn't have in mind some nut-job carrying an AK. Anyone with a shred of common sense should realize that such a controversial weapon is unnecessary for personal protection in all but the rarest of circumstances and certainly out of place on a hiking trail. It is quite possible that Kwikrnu's poor judgment may cause lawmakers to reconsider laws allowing for greater freedoms, and in some cases repeal them.
As law abiding citizens we owe it to ourselves and others to exercise common sense and good judgment while we enjoy our liberties. Otherwise the government which already doesn't trust its citizens may take away those liberties.
We have made some real progress in recent years, some examples of the types of state laws passed include: Castle Doctrine Protections, Protections for employees who keep weapons in their vehicles on employer property, restrictions eased or eliminated as to where weapons can be carried, as well as legislation allowing for concealed carry in some states where the right was previously denied. The poor judgment and idiotic behavior of only a few, or even one, can undo a lot of hard work and progress made.
:mad:

Basically, it's none of your damned business if he has 31 rounds or 310. There's no law defining excessive, it's just your opinion. There were no limits to test. The law is the law.

I would have no issue with this if he had just fought it out privately, perhaps with a well-placed letter to the police, a letter to the editor, or a personal rebuttal to the sensationalist local news. My beef is the fact that he's running around with a gun painted in the same way toys are, and he's been on every internet forum with "gun" in its name bragging (??) about the instance.

He is an attention whore, plain and simple. This is not how a 2A advocate behaves.

Furthermore, 2A advocates don't go around second-guessing each other regarding what each person decides to carry, so long as they are within the law.[/QUOTE

Take it easy dude its just one mans opinion . I'm going to step out now it ant worth it .. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kwikrnu's story has thoroughly convinced me that states need to enact additional legislation to allow for the prosecution of people for "being stupid." I don't think I can be even slightly tactful when commenting on this story. People like me have worked hard lobbying legislators to reduce gun restrictions on law abiding citizens. Most of you probably are unaware of the difficulties we often face when trying to convince lawmakers to enact legislation which allows for greater freedoms when a great number of our fellow citizens are in favor of increased restrictions on the possession and ownership of firearms. In many cases it takes years to convince a single lawmaker that voting for a certain piece of legislation is the right thing to do. In this case, we have a bonehead who chooses to push the limits of the law by exceeding the generally defined limits of common sense and good judgment. I am certain that when Tennessee lawmakers changed the law to allow for open and concealed carry in state parks they didn't have in mind some nut-job carrying an AK. Anyone with a shred of common sense should realize that such a controversial weapon is unnecessary for personal protection in all but the rarest of circumstances and certainly out of place on a hiking trail. It is quite possible that Kwikrnu's poor judgment may cause lawmakers to reconsider laws allowing for greater freedoms, and in some cases repeal them.
As law abiding citizens we owe it to ourselves and others to exercise common sense and good judgment while we enjoy our liberties. Otherwise the government which already doesn't trust its citizens may take away those liberties.
We have made some real progress in recent years, some examples of the types of state laws passed include: Castle Doctrine Protections, Protections for employees who keep weapons in their vehicles on employer property, restrictions eased or eliminated as to where weapons can be carried, as well as legislation allowing for concealed carry in some states where the right was previously denied. The poor judgment and idiotic behavior of only a few, or even one, can undo a lot of hard work and progress made.
+1
As a motorcycle rights advocate, I follow your point exactly..
As if pulling a stunt like this is bad enough
Then not getting the news to correct their information
Then after being told on multiple forums (I'm sure) that this behavior is NOT helpful to the cause
He has another brain attack and gets the idea that I should go wonder around town for an hour and half..
Go to town if you need to.. But by his own statements (went by the police station several times, and by the courthouse), he had no business in town.. So IF having a orange AK 47 totin' in camo is not suspicious enough.. Let's have him just wander around with no real intended direction, like he is waiting for something to spring into action..

He obviously does NOT really care about the cause.. because if he did.. He would listen to people like GregAllen who has been in the REAL trenches for some time and knows how to really move things forward for all of us..

Greg - Thank you for your service..

kwikrnu - for the benefit of all law abiding gun owners, everywhere. Stop what you are doing, take your passion (assuming it's passion and not just a deep need for attention because your mommy didn't hug you enough) and talk with someone like GregAllen and ask what you can REALLY do to help the cause...

wing nut

Kwikrnu,
Have you considered cross dressing while packing that orange AK? Dressing up like Dolly Parton will get you even more attention.
I need to tell you, your actions are not helping the cause. Being flamboyant is not working.

:stop:

As law abiding citizens we owe it to ourselves and others to exercise common sense and good judgement while we enjoy our liberties.

I feel that this quite nicely sums it up. Whether something is legal or not is a simply a matter of written words, and often has little bearing on either common sense or good judgement. Lord knows there are a lot of gun laws out there that are written with neither! Whether or not a person's action and behavior is in good judgement is a matter of, well, judgement. Your actions and behavior will always be judged by those around you. If your behavior goes outside of the realm of what is generally acceptable to those around you, whether legal or not, you may be persecuted. You may also be prosecuted, again, regardless of the law. Being persecuted/prosecuted can be costly - sometimes to all of us.

Your last sentence says it well!

I'm with kwikrnu on this one - I was a hiker and backpacker long before I became I hunter, but even in my pre-hunting days I knew and understood the rights of my fellow citizens to use the state forests within the bounds of the law as they saw fit. The fact that I chose to hike without a weapon did not give me the right to insist that they do the same.

I belong to several hiking organizations, and I’m amazed at the number of people who think it is illegal to carry a legal weapon on the trails in state forest in my state.

The statement of the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation is inane. I’ll bet they took an oath to uphold the US Constitution and the laws of the State of Tennessee. They should have said "The Department supports the laws of the state and the free exercise of the rights granted to its citizens there under. We made a mistake and we apologize."

The statement of the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation is inane. I’ll bet they took an oath to uphold the US Constitution and the laws of the State of Tennessee. They should have said "The Department supports the laws of the state and the free exercise of the rights granted to its citizens there under. We made a mistake and we apologize."

They would likely make such a statement, on the condition that the person unlawfully detained signed a waiver stating he would not sue. That's an admission of guilt right there, and I highly doubt this man would do such a thing...Although if you're trying to be a catalyst for change and not looking for a buck than I think it would be the appropriate thing to do

I decided to search for any news articles or blogs that mentioned this situation. My concern is that the publicity generated by Kwikrnu's actions may adversely affect gun rights in the state of Tennessee. I found the following rather quickly:

Link Removed

"While the Brentwood gun owner did not violate any law, Carlton says the incident paints carry permit holders in a bad light.

“The unfortunate side effect of this is there are good people who follow the law. There are good carry permit people not breaking the law. They are not upsetting people on their visit. And this one guy is drawing (negative) attention to people who are pretty good folks. His actions will force some scrutiny.”"

Link Removed

"Mike Stollenwerk, co-founder of the pro-gun Web site OpenCarry.org, likens Embody to the protester who drew public outrage last summer by openly carrying a handgun outside one of President Barack Obama’s town hall meetings."

"In an e-mail to The City Paper, Stollenwerk says: “Many people in the open carry community are not very happy with this fellow's apparent stunt to carry a ‘handgun’ that looked like a long gun slung over his shoulder, and capped with an orange tip to make it disguised as a toy — no wonder the police took an interest and investigated the guy. Had they seen a person wearing a normal handgun in a proper holster on a walk, they probably would have just said ‘hello.’”

Stollenwerk writes that Embody “slung his pistol over his back almost as if he was baiting the police to mess with him — very poor form and not helpful.”"

Link Removed

"John Pierce is a co-founder of OpenCarry.org, a group that seeks to normalize the open carry of "properly holstered handguns" as people go about their lives.

"On a fundamental level, I don't think he did anything wrong," Pierce said of Embody, "but politically that might not be best thing to do and it's not something we're advocating for."

Pierce said wearing camouflage also perpetuates an unhelpful stereotype."

The words and phrases that jump out at me include: "bad light", "negative attention", "some scrutiny", "not very happy", "stunt", "baiting", "politically might not be the best thing to do", and "unhelpful stereotype."

I strongly suggest Leonard Embody a.k.a. Kwikrnu cease is efforts to push the limits and create controversy. It is clearly evident that such actions are not at all beneficial towards advancing support and awareness of gun rights, and do in fact promote ill will and negative attention to a topic where positive reinforcement and good will is necessary in order to preserve relaxed gun restrictions.

GregAllen;104981 I strongly suggest Leonard Embody a.k.a. Kwikrnu cease is efforts to push the limits and create controversy. It is clearly evident that such actions are not at all beneficial towards advancing support and awareness of gun rights said:
Kwikrnu...You sir are an asshat!

Kwikrnu...You sir are an asshat!

I prefer Fucktard.. but Asshat will do...
2q8ymhk.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back