open carry in Indiana

rambis32

I have a lifetime concealed carry permit in Indiana can I open carry or do I need another permit?

Indiana has only one permit that I know of other than a difference in duration. So yes, you can OC on your lifetime permit.

Actually, there are two types, one is a hunting an target license, the other is a personal protection permit. And if you look at the top of your license, it should say, "License to Carry Handgun. I'm pretty sure the word "concealed" is not on there.

The state of Indiana issues a license to carry and does not specify so you may carry open or concealed.

I'm from Indiana and have their lifetime license. I have asked several LEO's and some attorney's this question and they told me open carry is permitted but highly frowned upon due to the many gun-haters that will report you doing something wrong. And then the police will show up and ask you politely to show your permit and then when they realize you are a permit holder, they will then ask you to cover the weapon. This has happened in my town and also know of several friends that have encountered this situation in other cities.

If you are in the country, the police tell me there is no problem but in town, it is highly advisable to cover up.

I'm from Indiana and have their lifetime license. I have asked several LEO's and some attorney's this question and they told me open carry is permitted but highly frowned upon due to the many gun-haters that will report you doing something wrong. And then the police will show up and ask you politely to show your permit and then when they realize you are a permit holder, they will then ask you to cover the weapon. This has happened in my town and also know of several friends that have encountered this situation in other cities.

If you are in the country, the police tell me there is no problem but in town, it is highly advisable to cover up.

As a general response to everyone:

A permit is the infringement the 2A tries to protect from...the permission slip is just the first step in "appropriate, acceptable, and reasonable" control over people, followed by "advisable" and "frowned upon" hollow excuses to completely conform society.

If this is the case, I would tell them to educate the public when they call in. If you are too afraid or for whatever reason you don't exercise your right to open carry, you have all lost your 2A right. They used to say that same thing for people in Washington and Michigan, until people got fed up with being bullied for having their firearms, so a bunch of people started an open carry movement. I no longer have to worry about the anti gun call in as the police all have been retrained in my area.

If your not breaking the law they do not have to respond, if they respond, it's their choice, they can leave for another call at any time. Know your laws, understand your laws, and follow your laws no more and no less.

For example, here in Washington, they can not demand ID or my permit if I have not broken the law. Check to see if that's the same in Indiana, and if you do not have to identify yourself, I advise you to not ID yourself. Then remain silent until they leave you alone. Give them an inch, and they will take a mile. Remember, everything you say can and will be used against you, but not for you. Everything is a fishing expedition, that's their job, to find something wrong. Know your Rights, know your right, and remain silent.

Oh, and get a recorder (audio and/or video) for your own protection, just to be safe.

i have alot of friends that are leo's and i know they are under alot of pressure all the time. i want their jobs to be less stressful so they can perform their duties safer and quicker. i'd rather cover my weapon and not give them unnecessary headaches than to worry about my 2a. there are alot of morons carrying weapons and we have our politicians to thank for this. education and training are important tools and they should be requirements to receive permits.

i have several friends that have the indiana lifetime license and to me, they never should have gotten them. none of them have ever fired a gun let alone know how to determine if it is empty or loaded. i took several of them to the local range and handed them an empty pistol and told them i wanted to watch them shoot. they raised the pistol and pulled the trigger. nothing happened. they did not understand why. they looked confused. i told them they have an automatic single-action pistol. they looked at me bewildered again and tried once more to pull the trigger. i asked them if they had ever fired a pistol and they said they had seen them in movies and in magazines but had never held one let alone fired one. i then showed them how to cock it. i told them this was necessary to shoot the weapon. they cocked it and pulled the trigger. nothing happened...no bang...the hammer went down but nothing happened. they looked at me confused again. i finally told them the guns were empty...not loaded. then i handed them 1 cartridge each and i told them to load it into the magazine. i watched them for nearly 10 minutes and they were still trying to figure out how to load it.

education and training. this is why i firmly believe anyone wanted to be able to carry whether open or concealed must go thru a training process.

and to think...there are alot of morons carrying weapons that should not be carrying them. if you want to carry openly, become a leo. otherwise, i feel that you're inviting trouble for carrying openly.

i have a lot of friends that are leo's and i know they are under alot of pressure all the time. i want their jobs to be less stressful so they can perform their duties safer and quicker. i'd rather cover my weapon and not give them unnecessary headaches than to worry about my 2a. there are a lot of morons carrying weapons and we have our politicians to thank for this. education and training are important tools and they should be requirements to receive permits.
That certainly explains a few things. I agree that education and training are important but, not as a requirement that infringes on my right to keep and bear arms. And to be honest, unless your friends are approaching everyone they encounter, as though they might be armed, then they need to find a new line of work. I know a lot of LEOs too, and most of them tell me, what they like about OCers, is they know right up front, they're armed. No guess work, no wondering involved. And usually, not much of an "encounter."

(The license/permit is an infringement too, but that's for another conversation.)

i have alot of friends that are leo's and i know they are under alot of pressure all the time. i want their jobs to be less stressful so they can perform their duties safer and quicker. i'd rather cover my weapon and not give them unnecessary headaches than to worry about my 2a. there are alot of morons carrying weapons and we have our politicians to thank for this. education and training are important tools and they should be requirements to receive permits.

i have several friends that have the indiana lifetime license and to me, they never should have gotten them. none of them have ever fired a gun let alone know how to determine if it is empty or loaded. i took several of them to the local range and handed them an empty pistol and told them i wanted to watch them shoot. they raised the pistol and pulled the trigger. nothing happened. they did not understand why. they looked confused. i told them they have an automatic single-action pistol. they looked at me bewildered again and tried once more to pull the trigger. i asked them if they had ever fired a pistol and they said they had seen them in movies and in magazines but had never held one let alone fired one. i then showed them how to cock it. i told them this was necessary to shoot the weapon. they cocked it and pulled the trigger. nothing happened...no bang...the hammer went down but nothing happened. they looked at me confused again. i finally told them the guns were empty...not loaded. then i handed them 1 cartridge each and i told them to load it into the magazine. i watched them for nearly 10 minutes and they were still trying to figure out how to load it.

education and training. this is why i firmly believe anyone wanted to be able to carry whether open or concealed must go thru a training process.

and to think...there are alot of morons carrying weapons that should not be carrying them. if you want to carry openly, become a leo. otherwise, i feel that you're inviting trouble for carrying openly.

It's sad when someone else's "head ache" means more to you than your 2a...especially when it's that person's job to be cautious with everyone they approach. Do you feel the same way about your other rights? Free speech, freedom of religion, freedom to assemble and petition, protection against unreasonable search and seizure, due process, protection against self incrimination...would you give those up to make an LEO's job easier?

How much education and training do you have? I guess it doesn't matter, because I feel you will never have enough, so you shouldn't carry either. That's what we are after right? Control over other people based on our own elitism?

We are supposed to be the land of the free. If you wish to dictate others actions, maybe America isn't the right place.

Funny, I have never invited trouble by open carrying, nor has trouble found me...where do you get your feelings from? Have you had trouble open carrying personally? Or just passing on the fear mongering?

As an Indiana resident with a license to carry, I do choose to open carry from time to time. First of all its more comfortable and less restricting on what I need to wear in order to conceal. Second of all I think people will become more comfortable and less likely to freak out and call the cops when they see more responsible citizens carrying firearms. The one person I have seen OC was in Indianapolis (lived at same apartment complex) apparently he had no problems or didnt care because I never saw him with out his gun. Now living in the Lafayette area I have not had an issue although I do not open carry all the time.
Indiana residents should definitely get out and take advantage of this right that we have to open carry (although be warned, people stare)

there are alot of morons carrying weapons and we have our politicians to thank for this. education and training are important tools and they should be requirements to receive permits.

Sure...it's easy to blame the politicians. Why not put the blame where it belongs.... on the parents that didn't teach their kids about guns and on the morons that are carrying the guns without having a clue. You want to pass laws that will restrict responsible citizen's rights to make up for the irresponsible citizen's behavior. Not an acceptable answer to me. How about if we make negligent behavior with a gun illegal and hold the morons responsible for their stupidity instead of placing more restrictions on the responsible citizens? We could fine the morons for negligent behavior and use those fines to make free training available for those responsible citizens that CHOOSE to take advantage of the training VOLUNTARILY.

It's sad when someone else's "head ache" means more to you than your 2a...especially when it's that person's job to be cautious with everyone they approach. Do you feel the same way about your other rights? Free speech, freedom of religion, freedom to assemble and petition, protection against unreasonable search and seizure, due process, protection against self incrimination...would you give those up to make an LEO's job easier?

How much education and training do you have? I guess it doesn't matter, because I feel you will never have enough, so you shouldn't carry either. That's what we are after right? Control over other people based on our own elitism?

We are supposed to be the land of the free. If you wish to dictate others actions, maybe America isn't the right place.

Funny, I have never invited trouble by open carrying, nor has trouble found me...where do you get your feelings from? Have you had trouble open carrying personally? Or just passing on the fear mongering?

I have many years of firearm training provided to my through leo's, military, and nra instructors. I can never have enough training and those that think they do have enough are usually the ones causing the problems. I've never had problems open carry and hope I never do but I do respect all leo's and do respect the stress they live with on a daily basis. As a usmc vietnam veteran, I have fought for alot of rights including the 2a. And what have you done for your country?

As I grow older, I think it is more beneficial to open carry. There are a lot of stupid people walking around that like to start trouble. The thing that changed my mind was when a few years ago this idiot started saying some stupid stuff to my wife as we were walking by. I was carrying under an open button down. As I looked at him he started running towards me until he got a look, backed up and apologized. For a second I thought I might have to pull it and was anxious for days afterward. That is when I decided to carry open. More of a deterrent than anything else. I sucks that the world has come to this, but without God/Morals/Integrity you have chaos.

As mentioned, in Indiana there are NO permits, only License to Carry Handgun !! How you carry is your business !!

I always OC and have for over 40 years !! I hold a Lifetime LTCH. I OC because being a "fluffy, big boned" old great grandpa, it is more comfortable for me. I also believe that IF the sheeple see more "law abiding" citizen's carrying guns, they will become less "afraid" of them, although, that's THEIR problem....NOT MINE !!!:no:

I carry in Indiana but I feel that concealed is better. I don't like the idea of everyone know I have a gun... especially the bad guys.

I carry in Indiana but I feel that concealed is better. I don't like the idea of everyone know I have a gun... especially the bad guys.

That's right. We wouldn't want the bad guy to see your gun and leave you alone because 99.5% of the rest of the population appear to be much easier targets because they aren't displaying the capability to kill the criminal. It's a much better alternative to look like all the "other victims" so you get the chance to try out your "element of surprise" because the bad guy has no reason not to attack you compared to the other 99.5% of the population that you appear to be just like. Right?

That's right. We wouldn't want the bad guy to see your gun and leave you alone because 99.5% of the rest of the population appear to be much easier targets because they aren't displaying the capability to kill the criminal. It's a much better alternative to look like all the "other victims" so you get the chance to try out your "element of surprise" because the bad guy has no reason not to attack you compared to the other 99.5% of the population that you appear to be just like. Right?

Exact opposite, sir. If I'm in a bank or store or wherever and I've got my gun in plain view the bad guys who really want to rob the joint come in and see my gun and put one in my back. No thanks. I rather them not have any clue until I see an opening where I can act. I think an open carry gun makes you more of a target. Maybe my logic is flawed but in the eyes of the bad guy you take out anyone that might be a threat first, right? Thanks for your sarcasm though.

I have many years of firearm training provided to my through leo's, military, and nra instructors. I can never have enough training and those that think they do have enough are usually the ones causing the problems. I've never had problems open carry and hope I never do but I do respect all leo's and do respect the stress they live with on a daily basis. As a usmc vietnam veteran, I have fought for alot of rights including the 2a. And what have you done for your country?

Eh, LEO, military, nra...not enough training. Looks like you shouldn't be carrying either. Hopefully the politicians can fix this mess we are in. Respect all LEO's huh? Do you respect Daniel Harless? How about Justin Volpe? How about all the officers that raided Kathryn Johnsons home, and then planted drugs because they just killed an innocent woman? You really respect all LEO's? I only respect a few of the officers that have proven they deserve respect, officers don't get hired into respect.

So you were part of the military...but how exactly did fighting in Vietnam protect our 2A?...I thank you for your service, but does that make you more beneficial to the people of the US than a history teacher still teaching the Constitution? The janitor that keeps the kids school clean? The medic who works 48 hours in the back of an ambulance to help the sick? All the gun owners of America fighting everyday to keep our RTKBA? All of us who believe all of our Rights mean more than someone else's headache? Our rights deserve to be fought for our entire lives, did you give up fighting for them after you left the service?

Exact opposite, sir. If I'm in a bank or store or wherever and I've got my gun in plain view the bad guys who really want to rob the joint come in and see my gun and put one in my back. No thanks. I rather them not have any clue until I see an opening where I can act. I think an open carry gun makes you more of a target. Maybe my logic is flawed but in the eyes of the bad guy you take out anyone that might be a threat first, right? Thanks for your sarcasm though.

Never heard of that happening, but since a lot of people keep saying it's happening, it should be pretty easy for you to find a story about a bank robber killing an open carrier.

In the last few years one incident occurred where an open carrier had his firearm taken from him, then he chased after the guy and was shot. The criminal also shot another unarmed person later. Never did find out if the open carrier's gun was the murder weapon or not.

Ah, but then there was that incident where an open carrier wasn't shot first. Blasphemes: Golden Food Market Shootout Update There are multiple articles on that incident.

Oh and remember, if you conceal carry you will be targeted like this guy Conceal And Carry Holder Robbed With His Own Gun « CBS Minnesota

It seems to me, 2.5 million firearms are used in self defense every year. The majority of those cases a shot is never fired, as it's the presence of a gun that stops the attack. Open carriers RARELY have to defend themselves...wonder if that is because of the same deterrent value? I think so, that's why I open carry. It only takes being chosen as a victim once because you look unarmed, no thanks!

As Firefighterchen said, it should be easy for you to provide an example of getting shot first in real life, then. We will wait. We've been waiting about a decade now already for an example. Of course you can point to this guy, but notice no one saw his gun and put one in his back:
Link Removed

You go with your theory which has never happened. I will go with what history indicates is factual:

Link Removed

"Captain Jerry Quan, the Commander for Precinct One, where the Wafflehouse is located, confirmed Matt Brannan's story as one in which the open display of a pistol deterred a well armed robbery crew."

http://www.gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-facts/6.1/gun_facts_6_1_screen.pdf

Fact: 60% of convicted felons admitted that they avoided committing crimes when they knew the victim was armed. 40% of convicted felons admitted that they avoided committing crimes when they thought the victim might be armed.
Fact: Felons report that they avoid entering houses where people are at home because they fear being shot.

Fact: A survey of felons revealed the following:
• 74% of felons agreed that, "one reason burglars avoid houses when people are at home is that they fear being shot during the crime."
• 57% of felons polled agreed, "criminals are more worried about meeting an armed victim than they are about running into the police."

A concealed firearm has zero chance of persuading a criminal to pass on you and choose an easier target. If my openly carried firearm causes just one criminal to decide I am not worth the effort and causes them to move on, saving myself and my family the trauma of an attack, the self-defense shooting, and the resulting investigation and possible court action, than it has accomplished the goal. Unfortunately (or is that fortunately?), I will never know how many times that goal is accomplished.

omg...you're a whackjob and an accident waiting to happen. i just hope that none of my friends or family are near you when that time happens. you say i shouldn't carry cause i train and retrain? duhhhh... not training and not knowing your limitations is what gets you killed. the military taught me a valuable lesson...trust no one but respect everyone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back