open carry in Indiana

the military taught me a valuable lesson...trust no one but respect everyone.

The military taught me many things but life taught me to "trust no one but respect everyone"....

As a child if I wasn't respectful and polite to someone, my mother would wear my ass out. On the other hand my mother being a nurse in the emergency room she'd constantly tell us stories of people who'd come in that had been abducted and raped, or tortured, or just about any bad thing you can imagine. Basically my brother and I were taught to be polite but keep our eyes open and to be mindful of everything and everyone around us.

Pops taught me guns safety from the age I could pull trigger......

More parents should teach safety and respect to their children so this world wouldn't be as messed up as it is.

Indiana is a single permit state

I have a lifetime concealed carry permit in Indiana can I open carry or do I need another permit?

The answer is no, you do not need an additional permit. If you look at the top of your license, you will see that it says "License to Carry Handgun." There is no stipulation regarding concealed/open carry. In fact, Indiana law does not recognize different modes of carry. However, local governments might have restrictions on mode of carry, so be sure to check the regulations in your area before carrying in the open.

Stare

:smile:
As an Indiana resident with a license to carry, I do choose to open carry from time to time. First of all its more comfortable and less restricting on what I need to wear in order to conceal. Second of all I think people will become more comfortable and less likely to freak out and call the cops when they see more responsible citizens carrying firearms. The one person I have seen OC was in Indianapolis (lived at same apartment complex) apparently he had no problems or didnt care because I never saw him with out his gun. Now living in the Lafayette area I have not had an issue although I do not open carry all the time.
Indiana residents should definitely get out and take advantage of this right that we have to open carry (although be warned, people stare)

I open carry but I am a Ex Police Officer so the way I dress and confidence of carrying a handgun people assume I am Law Enforcement and seem to be comfortable around me while I open carry:smile:

This is an interesting thread for me since I live in Indiana and am kind of on the fence on whether I want to open carry or stay concealed. The answer whether open carry is legal here has already been answered. The gov'ts website 'suggests you carry concealed because open carry might draw unwanted attention' or something like that... but, of course, that doesn't mean very much and was probably written by someone who doesn't carry and is afraid of people with guns unless they're police.

I've seen one guy open carry here in Indianapolis and that was outside Guitar Center - he was playing with a little girl, maybe 5 or 6 years old and I thought it was good that he was protecting his kid and that if I was going to mess with anyone it wouldn't be him.

I mentioned in another thread awhile back that this was the only person I'd seen OC here in 20 years or so, and someone else posted that they too lived in Indianaapolis, OC's and sees people OC alot in his neighborhood. I guess we live on different sides of town.

Other than some of the stuff mentioned about criminals trying to take your gun, the other thing I worry about is that I'm Indian and some folks can't tell the difference between me and a mid'easterner - I wouldn't want a whacko to call the cops telling them a terrorist was carrying a gun at the movie theater, or in Walmart.

Advantages of OC - as mentioned deter most criminals and you don't have to worry about your clothes getting in the way if you need to draw in a hurry.

So far, I still conceal, but may switch to OC. It's really a matter of personal preference.

there are alot of morons carrying weapons and we have our politicians to thank for this. education and training are important tools and they should be requirements to receive permits.

I completely disagree with your belief that training should be required. It might be a good idea if one can afford it, but should NEVER be a requirement. Courses can cost thousands of dollars. And, while most can afford a $300 gun and some ammo, many can not afford a few thousand for training. Should a single mom who lives in the ghetto where self defense might be most needed be deprived of the right to protect herself and her family because she can't afford a training class? Many good hard working men and women fall into the category of being able to afford a gun and ammo but not training.

If you carry this 'training required' idea to an extreme, you have a police state where only military and police can carry, because the rest of us aren't educated. I'm proud that Indiana is one of the few states that requires 0 training to get a license, and am a little pissed that THEY charge us money to get one. Where I grew up, most of the farm kids were shooting bb guns, pellet guns, and 22's when they were 6 or 7 years old. :crazy_pilot:

i have several friends that have the indiana lifetime license and to me, they never should have gotten them. none of them have ever fired a gun let alone know how to determine if it is empty or loaded. i took several of them to the local range and handed them an empty pistol and told them i wanted to watch them shoot. they raised the pistol and pulled the trigger. nothing happened. they did not understand why. they looked confused. i told them they have an automatic single-action pistol. they looked at me bewildered again and tried once more to pull the trigger. i asked them if they had ever fired a pistol and they said they had seen them in movies and in magazines but had never held one let alone fired one. i then showed them how to cock it. i told them this was necessary to shoot the weapon. they cocked it and pulled the trigger. nothing happened...no bang...the hammer went down but nothing happened. they looked at me confused again. i finally told them the guns were empty...not loaded. then i handed them 1 cartridge each and i told them to load it into the magazine. i watched them for nearly 10 minutes and they were still trying to figure out how to load it.

I found most of this unbelievable. Your friends have lifetime carry licenses, but when they come to the range with you they don't bring their own guns ? They have lifetime licenses but don't know how to cock a gun and have never held one before ? Your friends with lifetime licenses don't know a gun needs bullets in it in order for it to go 'bang' ? It all seems kind of made up to me .... one can learn most of that stuff just watching a few westerns or cop shows on tv :moil:

Yes, I believe you are able to OC in Indiana with a lifetime concealed carry permit. You may however be stopped by the police asking to see your permit. You may get this anywhere else though. In some places OC is less accepted.

there are alot of morons carrying weapons and we have our politicians to thank for this. education and training are important tools and they should be requirements to receive permits.
I also grew up with a father that taught us how to safely handle guns. Why should I be required to take a costly training course when I had already fired hundreds and hundreds of rounds before I could drive. I'm glad I live in Indiana.

i have alot of friends that are leo's and i know they are under alot of pressure all the time. i want their jobs to be less stressful so they can perform their duties safer and quicker. i'd rather cover my weapon and not give them unnecessary headaches than to worry about my 2a. there are alot of morons carrying weapons and we have our politicians to thank for this. education and training are important tools and they should be requirements to receive permits.

i have several friends that have the indiana lifetime license and to me, they never should have gotten them. none of them have ever fired a gun let alone know how to determine if it is empty or loaded. i took several of them to the local range and handed them an empty pistol and told them i wanted to watch them shoot. they raised the pistol and pulled the trigger. nothing happened. they did not understand why. they looked confused. i told them they have an automatic single-action pistol. they looked at me bewildered again and tried once more to pull the trigger. i asked them if they had ever fired a pistol and they said they had seen them in movies and in magazines but had never held one let alone fired one. i then showed them how to cock it. i told them this was necessary to shoot the weapon. they cocked it and pulled the trigger. nothing happened...no bang...the hammer went down but nothing happened. they looked at me confused again. i finally told them the guns were empty...not loaded. then i handed them 1 cartridge each and i told them to load it into the magazine. i watched them for nearly 10 minutes and they were still trying to figure out how to load it.

education and training. this is why i firmly believe anyone wanted to be able to carry whether open or concealed must go thru a training process.

and to think...there are alot of morons carrying weapons that should not be carrying them. if you want to carry openly, become a leo. otherwise, i feel that you're inviting trouble for carrying openly.

now see i shouldn't have to become a LEO just to open carry, sure they say your more at risk, or a more likely target to have some one come up and take your gun. But i have a friend who is a LEO who's brother is one a dad is a chief of a city, one day he told me that me open carrying makes me a bigger target and all that, i asked him then whats the difference between me and him while he is on duty open carrying. his response was that he is a LEO and isn't allowed to be touched. i told him its the same for me as a civi no one is allowed to touch me or just take my gun off my hip,i told him that his standard police belt holster made for a much more easier grab than mine did i use a level 2 black hawk with the gun angled forward so then when i'm sitting its straight up and down. he of course didnt believe yet i told him to just try and walk up behind me and take it yet he couldnt and he could never clear the holster before i reacted and stopped it because the angle its is carried at makes it difficult for others to remove yet i tried with him and easily just slid it right out of his holster with no problem. so you see where the dilemma is that even though he is a LEO it was easier for me to disarm him than it was for him and all it took was the right holster and mild reactions. so as long as you can afford a simple $40 holster and commaon sense it makes a difference cause the average criminal isnt going to know how to get it out of a holster like this compared to just a strap across the back. oh and now he uses a level 3 black hawk for his duty weapon just to make sure and you definately wont get it out of that unless you know all three steps.

How is it possible to get a lifetime permit, in sc ours is every 4yrs. And then it must be renewed and go through the background check.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using USA Carry mobile app

How is it possible to get a lifetime permit, in sc ours is every 4yrs. And then it must be renewed and go through the background check.

In Indiana we can choose between a lifetime permit or 4 year permit when we apply. When I applied about 3 years ago, I would have chose lifetime if I had known how easy it was to get a permit here for someone who doesn't have a criminal record. I think the 4 year was $40 or so and lifetime $70. When it's time to renew, I'll apply for the lifetime permit. Indiana also has a hunting permit that's $5 for 4 year, which let's us carry when hunting or in our car going to the range, but not on s regular basis for self defense.

I didn't know it till I started carrying here, but we're one of the more lenient states when it comes to guns. No courses required to get a permit, just $40 (maybe more now, maybe not) and a clean record. Of course the police department takes your fingerprints and runs a background check before issuing the license.

When I applied a few weeks ago, I figured there was some catch to the lifetime one (besides the $40 difference), but there isn't. I'll definitely do the lifetime when I renew. While I think it is absolute rubbish that we even need a permit to exercise our Constitutional rights, at least Indiana makes it pretty easy. Unfortunately, I did have to drive a lot to get mine since I live in the country. I had to drive 35 minutes to get fingerprinted and an additional 40 minutes to pay the sheriff's office for my local fee. Other than that, it was pretty easy.

I am glad we are like that here in Indiana. When I was in Texas, you had to jump through hoops just to get a CCL and you had to make sure there was no imprint or you could get in trouble. You could not even exercise open carry, which as far as I'm concerned, is a Constitutional right. I don't believe that the Founders would be too happy to find out that we're having to apply for, pay for, and be limited on rights they gave us free and clear. Sad day. Still, we can indeed open carry in Indiana.

You have an Indiana carry licence but don't know Indiana gun laws! Go to iga.in.gov/9c/a/6/9ca6305f/TITLE35_AR47_ar47.pdf.

The information is free.

You have an Indiana carry licence but don't know Indiana gun laws! Go to iga.in.gov/9c/a/6/9ca6305f/TITLE35_AR47_ar47.pdf.

The information is free.

And you really felt the need to post that in a thread that is one year old?

And why not? I just joined usacarry and I came across his post right away. Anyone else from Indiana, or from any state, needs to look up simple questions straight from the source. Indiana law obtaining a license and purchasing, owning and selling a firearm is not hard to understand when read.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back