open carry in Indiana

I am a firm believer in the Second Amendment and the protections intended that underly its ratification in 1791. In has only been in the past fifty years though that certain people have broadened 2A protections to a level never intended by the states at the time of its passage. Just a single historical fact to note my point: The gunfight at the OK Corral took place in 1881. It was initiated in part because the cowboy gang insisted on carrying guns into town and acting in an aggressive manner in violation of a local ordinance.

Many towns in the old west banned pistols from being carried openly in town, or into certain places, like saloons, and nearly all frowned on gunfire in the streets, or banned it altogether. It doesn't take more than a few minutes to find out these facts on the computer. People frankly got tired of picking up dead bodies off the streets.

The problem with open carry vs concealed carry, is that there are too many OCs out there that don't understand there is a time and place for everything, and there is also a fine line difference between OC and brandishing that many city folks see as frightening.

For instance in Evansville, Indiana, at the Mesker zoo, a man carried an openly displayed firearm into the zoo. Of course, it freaked out the soccer moms, zoo officials, and even certain members of the legislature. He wasn't doing anything unlawful under the law, but the mere display of a firearm amidst caged animals and women with children could have been foreseen to cause a stir if not an outright panic. The gun, if he felt he needed it to protect himself from the nearby women and children, or the caged animals, just as easily could have been concealed. If he had done do, there wouldn't have been a news story, nor a panic. It was as if he perhaps intended to prove a point at the expense of nearby women and children.

The Constitution is subject to interpretation. That's what courts do. If gun owners do not responsibly carry weapons in a manner that prevents panic and fear, firearm ordnances and statutes will be enacted, and the rights people seem to think they have will be taken away. It is just that simple. All it takes is one law and one case through the courts to eliminate that right. I am not advocating that anybody lose any right to carry, only saying that in my opinion responsible gun ownership requires we not freak out people who don't understand us in the process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am a firm believer in the Second Amendment and the protections intended that underly its ratification in 1791. In has only been in the past fifty years though that certain people have broadened 2A protections to a level never intended by the states at the time of its passage. Just a single historical fact to note my point: The gunfight at the OK Corral took place in 1881. It was initiated in part because the cowboy gang insisted on carrying guns into town and acting in an aggressive manner in violation of a local ordinance.

Well, yes and no.

The Tombstone ordinance barred carrying weapons inside city limits but was only enforced against people that weren't friends of the Earps. Doc Holiday wasn't allowed to carry a weapon in Tombstone under the Ordinance, but he did and the Earps knew he did and did nothing.

The problem with open carry vs concealed carry, is that there are too many OCs out there that don't understand there is a time and place for everything, and there is also a fine line difference between OC and brandishing that many city folks see as frightening.

And you just started the mother of all pissing contests

But I think you knew that

And the, "This is been talked about so many times already" comments as well or, "There's already another active topic going on concerning this" comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By my count, two troll posts: one by zombiemaster22 and one by Rivoak.

There are certainly circumstances where openly carrying a rifle makes sense. However, most of these circumstances do not involve "strapping the rifle on your back", hence my question to zombiemaster22. As far as I know, you can not legally carry a rifle openly in to a Chipotle in Indiana.

By my count, two troll posts: one by zombiemaster22 and one by Rivoak.

There are certainly circumstances where openly carrying a rifle makes sense. However, most of these circumstances do not involve "strapping the rifle on your back", hence my question to zombiemaster22. As far as I know, you can not legally carry a rifle openly in to a Chipotle in Indiana.

Not even in pursuit of zombies? Wow!

stop being an ******* it was not a troll post, i asked a legitimate question, and i said strapped on my back because it would be threatening to be carrying it my hands around town. im not a troll and just want an answer

stop being an ******* it was not a troll post, i asked a legitimate question, and i said strapped on my back because it would be threatening to be carrying it my hands around town. im not a troll and just want an answer

Again, what would be the purpose of you going around town with a rifle on your back?

Again, what would be the purpose of you going around town with a rifle on your back?

To get ice cream, of course!

Buying_Ice_Cream.jpg

Well, yes and no.

The Tombstone ordinance barred carrying weapons inside city limits but was only enforced against people that weren't friends of the Earps. Doc Holiday wasn't allowed to carry a weapon in Tombstone under the Ordinance, but he did and the Earps knew he did and did nothing.

Well, you know a little history, but not all of it. Holiday was acting as a special deputy at the time of the shoot out and allowed to carry.

And as far as pissing contests, I stand by the proposition that if people start carrying AR rifles into ice cream parlors and carting OC into zoos, it won't be wrong before there is a crack down. There is no absolutely no reason whatsoever to display weapons openly in places where it is going to freak people out when legitimate self defense needs can be met by keeping the weapons concealed.

And, I am not a troll. Every time somebody expresses a concern about what makes gun owners look bad on this forum they get shouted down, but the truth is it is a historical fact, like it or not, that irresponsible gun handling results in the loss of rights by responsible gun owners.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Because he wants too? It's not something I'd do but is he wants to more power to him

He hasn't explicitly stated that he wants to do that. He just asked if it is legal to do in general. I still smell a troll, hence my question.

And as far as pissing contests, I stand by the proposition that if people start carrying AR rifles into ice cream parlors and carting OC into zoos, it won't be wrong before there is a crack down. There is no absolutely no reason whatsoever to display weapons openly in places where it is going to freak people out when legitimate self defense needs can be met by keeping the weapons concealed.

And, I am not a troll. Every time somebody expresses a concern about what makes gun owners look bad on this forum they get shouted down, but the truth is it is a historical fact, like it or not, that irresponsible gun handling results in the loss of rights by responsible gun owners.

zombiemaster22 didn't state that he wanted to carry an AR rifle into ice cream parlors or zoos, but yeah, there are no trolls in this thread. As far as I know, he is asking if it is OK to carry his unloaded bolt-action rifle on his back on a public roadway when walking back to his car from hunting.

Responsible gun handling according to whom? According to those that want to ban carrying anyway? The loss of rights is due to gun owners not voicing their opposition to restrictions and not due to people openly carrying firearms. You already seem to not have a strong opposition to making open carry illegal anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back