One in the chamber? Or not!!

Don't just stand there and shoot. Side step or back peddle. Get more time and disorient attacker. move to other side of knife hand.

Last edited:
I've thought about this some lately. I carry my 1911 hammer down on a loaded chamber. I'll probably catch it for saying it here, but it works for me. I'm not really sure where or when "cocked and locked" for the 1911 came to be the accepted standard. If it is "safe" cocked and locked with one in the chamber why would it be unsafe uncocked with one in the chamber.
Thoughts...?

why would it be unsafe uncocked with one in the chamber.

Actually, it would be safer. For the bad guy:icon_cheesygrin: Just kidding. I personally don't care what other people choose to do, but for me, it's one in the chamber and ready to go. I chose an XD, because I don't even want to have to think about a safety. I do understand that for all you 1911 guys it's just second nature to remove the safety.

Someone posted a video of a motel clerk drawing and firing his gun. After watching how quickly that ordeal unfolded, there is NO way I will ever carry a gun without one in the chamber. Unloaded guns scare me.

I carry my GLOCK loaded, and my 1911 Locked and Loaded.

If I shuck it, I plan to fire it.

when seconds could cost me my life, I want to be as prepared as possible.

I magine pulling your weapon, and chambering a round. The guy on the other end is going to fear for his life and shoot you. If you simply pull and point he may lower his weapon and move on.

The act of chambering a round is a visible sign of aggression, and they will fire.

course dis be my take onit.

An empty cylider and one bullet in my shirt pocket just like Andy taught me.

If I'm not going to have one in the pipe, that would make just as much sense to me. The argument of carrying empty chamber for civilians is ludicrous. Pehaps if you are carrying as Police or Military then you may have time to rack a slide because you are GOING to a shootout. You may be chasing the bad guy or heading to the battle. As a CCW however, the shootout can ONLY come to you!

As a CCW you are not going to go looking for the shootout except in that extreamly rare circumstance where someone is actually firing upon others, which although sounds like the romantic hero novel it is really a majorly unlikely circumstance for which you carry. You cannot go after the robber, you cannot go after the assault perpetrator, you cannot even go after the guy that just shot the other guy ... chase him, catch him, shoot him, face the court on the likely charge of murder one even in the most gun friendly jursidictions like here in Florida. No Threat ... No Draw ... PERIOD!

So when are YOU going to use your gun. The most likely time is when the bad guy sticks his in your face and says give me your money.

OK, easy, with an empty chamber the routine at this point is Reach, Rack, Die! Because as you are racking he is going to pump two, three or more into your soon to fall limp body.

SELF DEFENSE! That is why we CCW. Not to be psudo cops, not to be heros not to believe that we are EVER going to be in the street in a gun fight. You can carry your extra three magazines but bet your sweet butt that your odds of being in a situation to reload and start firing the second time that is not going to end up with you in jail is really, really poor.

When you WILL use your gun is to protect yourself or another while the heat is on and it is reach, draw and FIRE or it is nothing at all. THAT is what you should be practicing. If you are practicing aiming, or long distance shooting, or tactical approaches then you better be carrying a badge because otherwise it is all just a fantasy.

CCW is for one purpose and one purpose ONLY and the sooner WE realize it the sooner the remainder of the world can recognize the REASON we carry.

Hammer down on 1911 ? It could go off if the hammer is hit hard.On half cocked is a different story, with an active half cock point . 1911 was made to carry cocked and locked......:yes2:

makarov has

a " decocking" lever that allows you to carry one in the chamber with little fear of going off on accident. push lever down and you are ready to launch.

I don't like decocking levers. I place them in the same category as safeties "Use them, but trust them only on the 30th of February". They're mechanical devices that could fail. Many may argue that they've never heard of an incident, however I would hate to be the first to experience one. JMHO

There's no substitute for safe firearms handling.

gf

Hammer down on 1911 ? It could go off if the hammer is hit hard.On half cocked is a different story, with an active half cock point . 1911 was made to carry cocked and locked......:yes2:

Only if the trigger and grip safety are also squeezed. It doesn't matter how hard the cocked hammer is hit, it won't go off unless the trigger and grip safety are also squeezed.

While we were stationed in Alaska

I don't like decocking levers. I place them in the same category as safeties "Use them, but trust them only on the 30th of February". They're mechanical devices that could fail. Many may argue that they've never heard of an incident, however I would hate to be the first to experience one. JMHO

There's no substitute for safe firearms handling.

gf

I had a young man in the squadron I was assigned to A/D his Ruger 45ACP polymer beast into the floor of his second story apartment using the decocker. He freaked out and tried to decock it again causing a second N/D and nearly striking his neighbor.

This was due to a broken decocker. Ruger fixed the weapon for free but it nearly cost that youngin' his career and his rights.:triniti:

I had a young man in the squadron I was assigned to A/D his Ruger 45ACP polymer beast into the floor of his second story apartment using the decocker. He freaked out and tried to decock it again causing a second N/D and nearly striking his neighbor.

This was due to a broken decocker. Ruger fixed the weapon for free but it nearly cost that youngin' his career and his rights.:triniti:

The decocker was defective and caused an "AD". Things happen. Can't believe he managed to "ND" the second time. :eek:

Great illustration of how and "AD" and "ND" can happen in the same situation.

gf

This was going through my head as well, Carry one in the chamber or not? I came up with carrying one in the chamber is the way to go. But i myself do not feel ok walking around Cocked and locked with the safe off. maybe thats just me IDK.

At least that's not possible with a Glock.

Jeesh, guys, I don't want to read through all the old posts, but I carry double action only semis or a .38 spl . What is the big deal? Get comfortable ( the .38 helped me here ). I never, ever trust safeties, ever. I've known of P-38s going off when the safety was released.

It's kind of amazing this thread goes on so long. The bottom line is that a gun with an empty chamber is pretty much useless for self defense. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a fact that isn't really debatable. If you carry with an empty chamber then you are just making yourself more likely to become a victim who looks foolish after being shot because you had to try to cycle a round into the chamber before you're gun was ready to fire.
If you're going to carry then you need to just sack up and carry more than a paper weight.

"If some you approching weelding a knife it takes 7 sec and 10 ft for you to get hit by the knife."

I just read the article yesterday and can't recall the source, but it has been demonstrated that a healthy human adversary can cover a 21 foot distance in 1.5 seconds. You need to be able to draw, aim, and fire in 1.5 seconds or less. Not much time to fool around chambering a round.

Exactly! I don't know where the 7 sec thing came from but I'm not in that good of shape and I know I can cover a fair amount of ground in 2 seconds. If someone has a knife you should be moving away and drawing at the same time. They can be on you much faster than most people think.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back