Mass law for storing firearm in car?

upslims

Hello, is it legal for me to store my firearm (Walther ppk/s) unloaded in the locked glove box of my car with the full clip in the same glovebox? From how I interpret the law it has to be locked/unloaded or rendered useless. Any thoughts on this? I work at the airport so carrying a full clip in with me is probably not the wisest choice. Thanks.

shove a gun lock through it...
I think you are probably fine as is, because the ammo is _not_ in the gun.

Hello, is it legal for me to store my firearm (Walther ppk/s) unloaded in the locked glove box of my car with the full clip in the same glovebox? From how I interpret the law it has to be locked/unloaded or rendered useless. Any thoughts on this? I work at the airport so carrying a full clip in with me is probably not the wisest choice. Thanks.

You need to have it a locked container in your trunk, ammo separated, get yourself a gun storage box, can be as cheap as $50 . Don't become a test case for your LTC.
remember, you are dealing with mASSachusetts.

That only applies as long as YOU are in the vehicle. I'm quite certain, as we have gone over this several times at our club meetings. If you leave your vehicle, it is against the law to leave a firearm in it unattended. Quite a catch 22 if you're going some place where you can't bring it inside, a "gun free zone." Now what do you do? Even at a gun show recently they weren't allowing CC's inside, and people were walking back to their cars and locking them in the trunk. A big no no.

Man...seems to change no matter who you talk to. I spoke with a Sgt. at the State Police Barracks and it was ok with him as long as it was locked up in the car. So I've just being going with it, I'm only working there for 3 more days so it shouldn't be an issue after that.

Man...seems to change no matter who you talk to. I spoke with a Sgt. at the State Police Barracks and it was ok with him as long as it was locked up in the car. So I've just being going with it, I'm only working there for 3 more days so it shouldn't be an issue after that.

Exactly, in Mass because the laws are NOT clear at all, even the people who are supposed to UPHOLD the law don't even know the law. Half of the police don't know what is MA compliant firearms are nor do they know what a LTC CLass- B can own/can't own. It is very scary if you ask me. The fact that I can challenge a cop and prove him WRONG on the very same laws he is supposed to know seems sad to me.

Welcome to assachusetts. If a cop is on a detail at an intersection and directs you through a red light and you get into an accident, you're at fault. Just because a cop tells you it's okay with HIM, doesn't mean it's okay with the law.

The reason I'm quite sure of the locked in the car scenario is because a guy I know went to Wallmart to buy something, and locked his gun in the trunk before going in the store. When he came out there were SEVERAL cops waiting at his car. Some do gooder saw him put it in there and called the cops. It's a big no no.
That's not to say people don't do it all the time.

(Non-Res) All this time I've locked my gun with it loaded in My car safe when I get to work. So, I'm really supposed to unload it and store both the gun and ammo separate each time?

Here is what I was told from a MASS Deputy (here we go again :rolleyes:).......
"There is nothing in the MGL specifically for vehicles, other than that glove box "storage" is a no-no as it is NOT an acceptable container". "Lock box or trunk......preferably both". "IF it is being transported (NOT on your person), it needs to be unloaded (not just the chamber) and in a locked container".

So, for me when I go to work from NH to MA, my firearm is on Me which is ok. When I get to work I put it loaded in my lockbox in my locked car. The vehicle is parked not moving/transporting. Like we all been saying, there is very little discription on the law when it pertains to a vehicle for MA. You get all different answers. I could not get an answer as to when the firearm is locked in a locked vehicle if it has to be unloaded not.
Hey guys, what about the motorcycle? Is the bag on your bike with a strap to close bag an acceptable container?? Probably not because there is no locking device on it. My Touring bike has the locks on it, so "I'm guessing" it should be fine when I park the bike.
My next question will be finding out about a parked vehicle, if the firearm is locked up in said box/container, does it need to be unloaded or not.

Here is what I was told from a MASS Deputy (here we go again :rolleyes:).......
"There is nothing in the MGL specifically for vehicles, other than that glove box "storage" is a no-no as it is NOT an acceptable container". "Lock box or trunk......preferably both". "IF it is being transported (NOT on your person), it needs to be unloaded (not just the chamber) and in a locked container".

So, for me when I go to work from NH to MA, my firearm is on Me which is ok. When I get to work I put it loaded in my lockbox in my locked car. The vehicle is parked not moving/transporting. Like we all been saying, there is very little discription on the law when it pertains to a vehicle for MA. You get all different answers. I could not get an answer as to when the firearm is locked in a locked vehicle if it has to be unloaded not.
Hey guys, what about the motorcycle? Is the bag on your bike with a strap to close bag an acceptable container?? Probably not because there is no locking device on it. My Touring bike has the locks on it, so "I'm guessing" it should be fine when I park the bike.
My next question will be finding out about a parked vehicle, if the firearm is locked up in said box/container, does it need to be unloaded or not.

I believe that the firearm must be unloaded when it is stored in a car. I will look for information on this.

That would be great capo if you can get this info. All that is mentioned is "transported" but not parked (vehicle).

I found this on Massgunlaw, great site btw. I have highlighted in red where it says unloaded. I hope this helps!

Are there any places in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts that I cannot lawfully carry a firearm?

Yes. Some of the more common places include state and federal courthouses, post offices, schools and school grounds, prisons and jails, and virtually all other federal buildings and some state buildings where metal detectors are in use. In many of these places, other than schools and school grounds, if you declare your firearm at the door, you can usually check your firearm, and pick it up on the way out. Do not bring a gun onto school grounds. School grounds include parking lots, driveways, and the grounds outside the building.
A good way to declare your firearm is this: before you enter the building, get your LTC out, and as soon as you enter the building, approach the nearest security guard, hand him your LTC, and quietly tell him you would like to check your firearm. Do not reach for, display or unholster your firearm until asked to do so.
Be sure to use safe gun handling techniques when unholstering and unloading your gun. Don't be the next person to have an accidental discharge in a very public place.
If it is not possible to check your firearm, and if you are not visiting a school, you can comply with state law by leaving your firearm in your car if you first unload it and store it unloaded and locked in: the trunk of your car, a locked case, or some other secure container.
Please note, however, if you leave a firearm in your car, and that firearm is stolen, you could lose your LTC. Use your best judgment in deciding whether it is a good idea to leave your firearm behind when you park your car.
If you do leave an unloaded gun in your car, remember that it is not enough to snap a trigger lock on your firearm and leave the gun on the back seat. Instead, you must unload and carefully secure it locked in the trunk, in a locked case, or another secure container. You should expect that if the police become aware that you have failed to follow these provisions, they will probably file criminal charges against you.

Man, you're quick. Ok, here is the follow up question, and bear with me because this is what we are here for.......ok, I get to work, unload my firearm and put it in the lock box. Does the ammo go in the same box or do I/we have to keep it separate? Remeber, this is "parked vehicle" not transporting.
Man, I tell ya, MA really discourages you from carrying a weapon. Anything to make it the more difficult. I'd look it up, but You seem to do a better job lol!
thnx.
sambo

Haha yeah I hear ya! They make it tough. I will look for ya and get back to you. I believe it just has to be in a locked container (don't quote me on that though). I would put it in a locked box in your trunk. Let me do some research and see what I can find. I'll post later

~~ Let me do some research and see what I can find. I'll post later

Maybe I can save Cap some time.. I use this Secure-it Box. They are available from multiple places, most places about $30.

Link Removed

Secure-it is made in the USA and meets TSA airline firearm guidelines.

For added protection, Secure-It comes with a 1,500lb test security cable. When wrapped around any firm object and slid into the notch on the storage safe, both Secure-It and any valuables inside will be temporarily fixed to that object.
Standard 8.25" X 6" X 1.75"
Large 9.5" X 6.5" X 1.75"
21 gauge steel construction
Quarter turn lock with two keys
Memory filling photo equipment quality foam

ricbak, that is exactly what I use. I run the cable around the seat track and store it under the seat (now that you all know). Funny, today I unloaded it but still kept everything in the lock box together.

Carrying /Leaving in Motor Vehicle

The information is specified in MGL Chapter 140, Section 131C - in 1998 it was changed from the prior version which had prohibited leaving unattended - and adding the locked trunk or storage case requirement.

The information from the MassGunLaw site is essentially what the law says (he's an attorney).

That being said - it has been advised to separate the ammunition and magazines from the firearm (e.g. hide them). That precludes any inadvertent"loading" if retrieved by an LEO in case (as mentioned above) someone sees you putting it in the trunk and there is a search.

For the person above who mentioned working at the airport - I hope it isn't Logan, Bedford or Worcester - Massport has a well-hidden regulation prohibiting any carrying of firearms on their property - except of course by LEO (next time you are at Logan - look at the ID badges of the State Troopers - see the red box around their photo? That means authorized to carry weapons), or - for permit holders - packed in luggage, with tickets and permits for Mass and where you are going - excerpt they only check (at the airline counter) for your Mass permit. You also need to comply with the airlines' regulations - which are posted on their web sites.

Back to the vehicle issue - it's a good idea to have a locked case (and trigger lock) and carry that in your trunk just in case you get stuck in a situation where you have to go somewhere where you are prohibited from carrying (perhaps emergency pickup of a sick child at school). Don't let anyone see you put a firearm in the case (do it in the car, out of sight.) If your car doesn't have an alarm - perhaps a good idea to think twice about it altogether - unless there is no other option

It's perhaps best try to avoid any situation that would require leaving any firearm unattended. There is too much at risk for the permit holder - especially in Massachusetts.

Peraonally I think laws here in PRMA are total BS. Like c'mon! The law is the law and I have no choice but to obey it, but seriously. No wonder we have the highest crime rate in New England...are laws are almost laughable

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back