Man open carrying was robbed of his gun

If you're going to open carry, make sure you stay in condition yellow and get some handgun retention training. You MUST maintain situational awareness at all times, especially whenever someone is within your comfort zone.

As a matter of fact, the above goes for CC as well.

Handgun retention training is important regardless of how you carry. One never know what may happen in an "armed confrontation". You may draw down on a BG and either the BG or an accomplice attempts to disarm you. I'm a firm believer in quality training.

gf

Well, for those of you who say that gun grabs from open carriers are a non issue, this story shows that you're dead wrong. Sure, the victim's lack of situational awareness is more responsible for this than anything else, but this would never have happened to anyone who was carrying concealed.

OK so there is one story. Dude are you like 12? Cause you really irritate me sometgimes like other 12 year olds.

OK we get it, you dont like open carry.

Why can everyone just not STHU and let folks carry as they wish?

If you want to ban a certain type of carry then I have news for you. You are not a 2A supporter but are a compromiser. Your guns will be the first to go Mr Tat boy....

OK so there is one story. Dude are you like 12? Cause you really irritate me sometgimes like other 12 year olds.

OK we get it, you dont like open carry.

Why can everyone just not STHU and let folks carry as they wish?

If you want to ban a certain type of carry then I have news for you. You are not a 2A supporter but are a compromiser. Your guns will be the first to go Mr Tat boy....

I don't think Tatt was advocating banning open carry. At least I did not read it that way. As I have said I myself think concealed is better , has more advantages and less disadvantages than open carry but I also feel that if someone else wants to open carry that is what they should do. As the song from the 60's says. "Different strokes for different folks".

I don't think Tatt was advocating banning open carry. At least I did not read it that way. As I have said I myself think concealed is better , has more advantages and less disadvantages than open carry but I also feel that if someone else wants to open carry that is what they should do. As the song from the 60's says. "Different strokes for different folks".

I didnt say he was advocating banning open carry. Im just pointing out that he is bent on proving HIS way is best. Guess what? I dont have a preference for either but in SC its CC so I have to CC once the permit arrives.

Read what he posted again and tell me that wasnt inflamatory?

It wouldnt happen to someone who was CC'ing? BS is what that is. If they are close enough to have a gun to your head they are close enough to find the gun.

Hey Tat dude, ever been robbed at gun point with a gun to your head? I have and its not fun. You know when the guy has a gun to your head and first thing starts trying to rip your wedding rig off your finger but its tight and you have to beg him to let you take it off for him. And then he just starts reaching into the pockets (which is where he just may feel your concealed weapon).

All the while another guy has pistol whipped your wife and left huge scratches on her neck where he snatched the chain you bought her right off.

Maybe the first guy finds your gun while he is diggin in your pants for cash and then kills you right after mocking you for being a tough guy because you're carrying?

These threads do nothing to educate. They simply divide. Mr Tat boy thinks anyone who OC's is beneath him and he wants to prove it every chance he gets.

ALL carry should be legal and not the one you deem best.

Last edited:
I didnt say he was advocating banning open carry. Im just pointing out that he is bent on proving HIS way is best. Guess what? I dont have a preference for either but in SC its CC so I have to CC once the permit arrives.

Read what he posted again and tell me that wasnt inflamatory?

It wouldnt happen to someone who was CC'ing? BS is what that is. If they are close enough to have a gun to your head they are close enough to find the gun.

Hey Tat dude, ever been robbed at gun point with a gun to your head? I have and its not fun. You know when the guy has a gun to your head and first thing starts trying to rip your wedding rig off your finger but its tight and you have to beg him to let you take it off for him. And then he just starts reaching into the pockets (which is where he just may feel your concealed weapon).

All the while another guy has pistol whipped your wife and left huge scratches on her neck where he snatched the chain you bought her right off.

Maybe the first guy finds your gun while he is diggin in your pants for cash and then kills you right after mocking you for being a tough guy because you're carrying?

These threads do nothing to educate. They simply divide. Mr Tat boy thinks anyone who OC's is beneath him and he wants to prove it every chance he gets.

ALL carry should be legal and not the one you deem best.

It sounds like you have a lot of feels about this matter as do we all. It also sounds like you have been in the type of life or death ordeal we all hope we never find our self's in. But can we get out points across with out attacking another member and putting them down please. I mean we are all adults who come here to help each other out with Information and stories. I respect your views but please do it with a little less flaming of other members. Thank you and Please Post your store or PM it to me ( Private message) it to me i would love to here it.

It sounds like you have a lot of feels about this matter as do we all. It also sounds like you have been in the type of life or death ordeal we all hope we never find our self's in. But can we get out points across with out attacking another member and putting them down please. I mean we are all adults who come here to help each other out with Information and stories. I respect your views but please do it with a little less flaming of other members. Thank you and Please Post your store or PM it to me ( Private message) it to me i would love to here it.

I find his contempt of OC and the folks who practice this type of carry to be repulsive and un American.

There has been much posted in the forums here which list the pros and cons of both and we have seen that either way is equally fine and either way may or may not work when the SHTF. So Id like to see these conversations to stop so we can get on to something more important than how you carry.

What is more important is that folks excersise their 2A rights. Become an activist. I have and its a wonderful thing.

There is no political issue right now more important to me than the second ammendement. Dont make a mockery of it by worrying about how someone carries.

So I apologize to Tat guy for calling him out on his mistake. I mean that.

There really is not much more to tell in my story. My wife, myself and my best friend were robbed by three gentlemen at gun point. It sucked. My wife and friend were pistol whipped and were bleeding. My ring finger was beeding where the guy tried to rip my finger off to get the ring.

He just went ahead and shoved his hand in my pockets. Certainly he would have found the pistol had I been carrying.

SA is more important than how you carry.

Lets move on.

Last edited:
I agree we probably have spent more than enough time on this subject. This is like some of the other discussions i.e. 9mm vs. 45, revolver vs. auto, dbl action vs. single action, IWB or OWB. We all have our opinions and that is o.k. After a while it gets to the point when we have pretty much said it all and it becomes time to move on rather than rehash and arguing over the same thing.

There really is not much more to tell in my story. My wife, myself and my best friend were robbed by three gentlemen at gun point. It sucked. My wife and friend were pistol whipped and were bleeding. My ring finger was bleeding where the guy tried to rip my finger off to get the ring.

He just went ahead and shoved his hand in my pockets. Certainly he would have found the pistol had I been carrying.

SA is more important than how you carry.

Lets move on.

Sounds more like three "thugs" than "gentlemen". Glad that you all survived the attack and were willing to share the experience so we can learn from it. It's sad that we're not safe in "small groups" anymore. Not long ago, the thugs would have overlooked a group of 2 males and a female. Today, it's "anything goes".

+1 to SA. Be very aware of your surroundings and the people around you. As for "carry method", it's pretty much a "personal choice" issue based on the local laws as well as other factors. I'm all for citizens being armed and able to protect themselves. All I ask is that those who do choose to carry do so safely and get adequate practice at the range so that they don't shoot me by mistake! :eek:

gf

To my way of thinking, the idea of an OCer being attacked by a bad guy has never been a "non-issue." It has simply been a "rare-issue." And even if this story is true, I'd say that based on the apparent frequency of such, it is STILL rare.

If nothing else, it shows the importance of situational awareness. And SA is just as important to those of us who CC, as it is to those of us who OC. When you carry a gun, either concealed or openly, you can NEVER just walk around in public, with you head in the clouds, or up your butt. If you do, you will have this happen to you. It's just a matter of time.

And I would add, even if you don't pack, it pays to be aware of your surroundings. If the bad guys know that YOU Know where they are, there's a good possibility they will choose a less aware target.

Al has it 100% correct on all 3 counts.

ADs and NDs are much more common than a gun grab from a civilian, but no one is advocating not handling or carrying a handgun. Just you need to be more aware and careful.

I agree we probably have spent more than enough time on this subject. This is like some of the other discussions i.e. 9mm vs. 45, revolver vs. auto, dbl action vs. single action, IWB or OWB. We all have our opinions and that is o.k. After a while it gets to the point when we have pretty much said it all and it becomes time to move on rather than rehash and arguing over the same thing.

Thanks for getting the point. I appreciate that.

Sounds more like three "thugs" than "gentlemen". Glad that you all survived the attack and were willing to share the experience so we can learn from it. It's sad that we're not safe in "small groups" anymore. Not long ago, the thugs would have overlooked a group of 2 males and a female. Today, it's "anything goes".

+1 to SA. Be very aware of your surroundings and the people around you. As for "carry method", it's pretty much a "personal choice" issue based on the local laws as well as other factors. I'm all for citizens being armed and able to protect themselves. All I ask is that those who do choose to carry do so safely and get adequate practice at the range so that they don't shoot me by mistake! :eek:

gf

Yes, "thugs" LOL I was being facetous.

I agree with what you've posted here. Good call.

Do you smell something?

So at 16 JAN...5:30PM Eastern time, TATTEDUPBOY writes the following on this thread:

Let's assume for the sake of argument that this story is true. Finding stories of open carriers having their gun snatched is about as easy as finding stories of cops getting their snatched; try finding either on the Internet. Just because we hardly hear about it does not mean that it's something people don't need to make an effort to prevent.

That being said, that doesn't mean that the overwhelming of open carriers aren't responsible people, because they are, simply by virtue of the fact that they are taking responsibility for their safety into their own hands.

Then TATTEDUPBOY isn't heard of until he post the following.....

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/general-firearm-discussion/6194-im-back.html

I'm Back!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of you have probably noticed that I have not been on here in almost two weeks. I have been hospitalized since January 17; I got shot in my upper back and lost the use of my right arm. Here is the story as I have it posted on another forum to which I belong:

Hello, everyone. I'm posting this thread to tell everyone about a recent incident that effectively ended my security career.

At approximately 2345 on 16 Jan, I had just left my post at the check cashing store where I was employed. My plan was to head to my apartment, which is located just across the street, check my mail, drop off my newspaper and the tupperware container in which I had brought my lunch, and head back out to my next gig, which is as a bouncer at a nightclub.

Anyway, as I was approaching the entrance to my apartment complex, a guy wearing dark clothing was walking in my direction. As we passed each other, when he got behind me, he turned around and shot me. Even though I was wearing level III body armor underneath my shirt, the bullet hit me right above it, next to my shoulder blade. I fell to the ground in a heap, my right arm (which is my shooging arm), crumpled in a heap next to me. The perp proceeded to disarm me, and since I could not move my right arm (otherwise, I would have returned fire) I had no choice but to show him how to remove my firearm (a Glock 22) from the level III holster in which I was carrying it. After disarming me, the perp ran off; at no point did he ask for my wallet or even attempt to get it himself.

I was able to get right up, and I searched on my duty belt for my cell phone, which I was unable to locate. I was able to gather up my things and get inside and up to my apartment and used the phone in there to call 911. The police arrived first, and the responding officer took me downstairs to wait for the ambulance to arrive. Upon getting down there, I learned that another woman who lived in my building was sitting in her vehicle in the parking lot when the incident happened, and she also called the police. She also located my cell phone and returned it to me when I got downstairs.

I was admitted to the hospital at 0020 on 17 January, where, after a CT scan was done on me, it was determined that I get transferred. I was transferred to the hosptial's southern campus at 0630.

I just got released today. During my 11 day stay, I had the bullet, which was lodged in the front of my neck, removed, and I began physical therapy to regain the use of my right arm. So now begins a rigorous regimen of physical therapy. I'll keep everyone updated.

While I am at times bitter about the end of my career and my independence being taken away from me, I'm just happy to be alive, and happy that the guy didn't hurt me worse than he did.

What do you all think?

More about situation awareness than anything, but at the same time the perp shot first, which from what I've seen is somewhat rare.

Just because something is statistically unlikely does not make it impossible.

I also think tatt was in uniform, but correct me if I'm wrong. That might not mean anything either (or maybe that's why the perp shot first and asked questions later.)

Still sucks though. I'm glad for him that he is healing! Just goes to show that you never can tell when/where something may happen to you.

So at 16 JAN...5:30PM Eastern time, TATTEDUPBOY writes the following on this thread:

Then TATTEDUPBOY isn't heard of until he post the following.....

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/general-firearm-discussion/6194-im-back.html

What do you all think?
He was a security officer, in uniform, he's the same type of target as the Police are.

I know. I work as a security officer too. Thing is, I nearly had something like this happen to me, many years ago, in Chicago. Difference for me, I was on the job and not on my way home, so my vigilance was a little higher than normal. When a guy passed by me, on the side walk, in front of the store I was working at, I turned around to see where he was going, and instead saw him pulling out a pistol. I pulled out mine and we had a little shoot out.

Ever since then, whenever I'm OCing, whether on the job or not, I ALWAYS turn around when someone passes me to see what they're up to. I should say, when it's night, or there's not many people on the street. Most bad guys don't like to have witnesses. But I still like to peek, if possible to make sure.

Last edited:
Big Gay Al Wrote:

He was a security officer, in uniform, he's the same type of target as the Police are.

I know. I work as a security officer too. Thing is, I nearly had something like this happen to me, many years ago, in Chicago. Difference for me, I was on the job and not on my way home, so my vigilance was a little higher than normal. When a guy passed by me, on the side walk, in front of the store I was working at, I turned around to see where he was going, and instead saw him pulling out a pistol. I pulled out mine and we had a little shoot out.

Ever since then, whenever I'm OCing, whether on the job or not, I ALWAYS turn around when someone passes me to see what they're up to. I should say, when it's night, or there's not many people on the street. Most bad guys don't like to have witnesses. But I still like to peek, if possible to make sure.

I am not trying to argue any open carry vrs concealed carry point of view. My point was that Tattedupboy was getting slammed on this thread about the so called dangers of open carry and then a few hours latter he so happens to become a victim of the same type of crime in his argument...almost as to prove a point. The whole thing sounds real fishy and there are many people who have bought it line and sinker. I highly doubt the other thread, I'm Back is thruthful. It's way too ironic, contrived, and the story is full of holes. I call them like I see them.

Here you go, Al!

This would be a boon for the kind of situational awareness issues that you mentioned:

Link Removed

Only one thing to say about that: :cool:

I am not trying to argue any open carry vrs concealed carry point of view. My point was that Tattedupboy was getting slammed on this thread about the so called dangers of open carry and then a few hours latter he so happens to become a victim of the same type of crime in his argument...almost as to prove a point. The whole thing sounds real fishy and there are many people who have bought it line and sinker. I highly doubt the other thread, I'm Back is thruthful. It's way too ironic, contrived, and the story is full of holes. I call them like I see them.

Well, crap happens, and sometimes, it happens to the wrong people. But unless he starts going on about "see, I told you so" and using what happened to him as an example, I'll with hold my judgment until then.

Big Gay Al Wrote:

Well, crap happens, and sometimes, it happens to the wrong people. But unless he starts going on about "see, I told you so" and using what happened to him as an example, I'll with hold my judgment until then.

I admire your optimisim and faith in mankind. I could be proven wrong, but I firmly believe I'm Back is an untruthful post aimed to prove a point on this thread. The irony of the circumstances and timing are just too great to ignore. Try to find a news story on line about someone in the state of Indiana being shot on the night of the 16 January or even 17 January. I've checked on Google and multple Indiana Newspaper web sites. You won't find one. Of course that alone doesn't prove anything. However, when you combine the timing of his comments on this thread with the holes in his I'm Back story with the lack of a news story, I say you can draw only one conclusion. If I am proved wrong, I will publicly apologize on this site. However, until then I will continue to say that the I'm Back thread is false and find it troubling that he is drumming up sympathy for it. Again, I call them like I see them.

Although anything is possible, do you really think Tat would let his Post Count slide for that many days just to make a point? :sarcastic:

Wolfhunter Wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although anything is possible, do you really think Tat would let his Post Count slide for that many days just to make a point?

Now that is funny...but he has such a huge margin that it won't really matter.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back